Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

HNAC Playoff Discussion

Seemed unfair to not have a thread here for all the HNAC teams playing this Friday for a sectional championship.  Another great year of competition in the HNAC has helped  6 teams play all the way into November and hopefully beyond.  Best of luck to all HNAC teams involved.  So, who ya got?  

Culver @ North Judson

Hanover Central @ Knox 

Pioneer @ LaVille 

Triton @ Adams Central 

Triton has no chance against AC, obviously.  But this team will learn a lot by playing a championship caliber team.  The Trojans are young this year and have asperations of making runs in the next two years.  This game will show them what it takes to play at that level.

I have LaVille over Pioneer by a score.

Knox will fall to Hanover.

Judson takes care of Culver by 2 scores.  

Triton is definitely a team on the rise.  I have the utmost respect for Coach Younis.  Truthfully, the HNAC is filled with great coaches.  From Radtke and Hendrix, Berry, Zehner, Howstraser, Younis, and Lambert.  It is impressive what the administration has been able to cultivate in this conference.  

I think AC will win this, but I think it will be closer than what you think. AC has only played 3-4 teams with winning records this year.

Panthers

Hanover

Judson by 2-3 scores, but only if they dont come in with Winamac hangover. If they let Culver get rolling it could be tighter.

Culver @ North Judson

Hanover Central @ Knox 

Triton @ Adams Central 

Those 3 seem fairly obvious.  I agree that Culver could stick with North Judson if the Bluejays are not ready for a fight.

Pioneer @ LaVille --- Going with Pioneer only because you stick with a winner until someone proves they can beat them.  I would not be suprised at all if Laville wins this.  They might even have more overall talent and athleticism. Can they get over the mental hurdle of beating Pioneer though.  

1 hour ago, MarshallCounty said:

Triton is definitely a team on the rise.  I have the utmost respect for Coach Younis.  Truthfully, the HNAC is filled with great coaches.  From Radtke and Hendrix, Berry, Zehner, Howstraser, Younis, and Lambert.  It is impressive what the administration has been able to cultivate in this conference.  

It is. 

What's really helped Knox, Culver, Triton and LaVille is not having to play new prairie, Bremen, Glenn and Jimtown every single season. 

Its allowed the schools to build up confidence in their football programs. 

Next season you could see LaVille win conference or previously independent North Judson. 

31 minutes ago, WalterSobchak said:

It is. 

What's really helped Knox, Culver, Triton and LaVille is not having to play new prairie, Bremen, Glenn and Jimtown every single season. 

Next season you could see LaVille win conference or previously independent North Judson. 

There may be some truth to that, but I don't believe that is the whole truth.  Those men are good coaches and leaders of men.

45 minutes ago, WalterSobchak said:

I believe this is true and a significant reason why Triton moved to the HNAC in the first place.  Triton never beat Jimtown in all the NSC years.  I think there were only 3-4 wins over Bremen.  Glenn had up and down years, so there was some success with them at times.  But not much in the last 10 or so years of the NSC.  Same for New Prairie.  They got a lot better as they grew in enrollment and the last few years of games were a waste of time for both teams.  

Honestly losing to Pioneer by 50 is an easier pill to swallow than losing to NP or Jimtown by the same scores.  Pioneer is a similar sized school and you know they've gotten where they are by hard work and commitment.  You respect that from a school your own size.  But losing to schools twice your size all the time just gets old over time.  The HNAC definitely provides a platform to compete with similar-sized schools on a more level playing field.  And the quality of play is outstanding for a small school conference.  I'm very happy we made the move.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, FinePrint said:

I believe this is true and a significant reason why Triton moved to the HNAC in the first place.  Triton never beat Jimtown in all the NSC years.  I think there were only 3-4 wins over Bremen.  Glenn had up and down years, so there was some success with them at times.  But not much in the last 10 or so years of the NSC.  Same for New Prairie.  They got a lot better as they grew in enrollment and the last few years of games were a waste of time for both teams.  

Honestly losing to Pioneer by 50 is an easier pill to swallow than losing to NP or Jimtown by the same scores.  Pioneer is a similar sized school and you know they've gotten where they are by hard work and commitment.  You respect that from a school your own size.  But losing to schools twice your size all the time just gets old over time.  The HNAC definitely provides a platform to compete with similar-sized schools on a more level playing field.  And the quality of play is outstanding for a small school conference.  I'm very happy we made the move.

Yup and when these sophomores at Triton are Seniors. They'll have a legit chance to win conference. 

Knox, LaVille, Pioneer and North Judson are senior and junior heavy it appears. Winamac was senior heavy and has a few talented sophomores and freshman but I don't think they'll be good enough to beat that Triton squad. North Judson has a great freshman squad and Pioneer's sophomores are decent but I think Triton's sophomore class may be better than both. 

Edited by WalterSobchak

On 11/3/2021 at 9:48 AM, FarmerFran said:

I think AC will win this, but I think it will be closer than what you think. AC has only played 3-4 teams with winning records this year.

Panthers

Hanover

Judson by 2-3 scores, but only if they dont come in with Winamac hangover. If they let Culver get rolling it could be tighter.

True the ACAC conference is horrible but credit AC for playing Eastside and Park Heritage out of conference.  Two very impressive games.  They legit.

10 hours ago, WalterSobchak said:

Yup and when these sophomores at Triton are Seniors. They'll have a legit chance to win conference. 

Knox, LaVille, Pioneer and North Judson are senior and junior heavy it appears. Winamac was senior heavy and has a few talented sophomores and freshman but I don't think they'll be good enough to beat that Triton squad. North Judson has a great freshman squad and Pioneer's sophomores are decent but I think Triton's sophomore class may be better than both. 

Laville has 1 senior that doesn’t even play. Laville is a loaded Junior and Sophomore class

• Like 1

20 hours ago, mumm6866 said:

Laville has 1 senior that doesn’t even play. Laville is a loaded Junior and Sophomore class

Take out the and and put an "or".

Knox is junior heavy, Pioneer and North Judson are senior and junior heavy.

LaVille  is offensively and defensively dominated by juniors as far as statistics go. 

Edited by WalterSobchak

7 minutes ago, WalterSobchak said:

Take out the and and put an "or".

Knox is junior heavy, Pioneer and North Judson are senior and junior heavy.

LaVille  is offensively and defensively dominated by juniors as far as statistics go. 

It doesn't matter if a team is Junior or Senior heavy. Those other classes could still be stacked, they just haven't hit the weights enough yet to fully contribute as a whole.

23 minutes ago, littledog said:

It doesn't matter if a team is Junior or Senior heavy. Those other classes could still be stacked, they just haven't hit the weights enough yet to fully contribute as a whole.

If the roster on Max Preps is close to correct, 13 of their total of 28 players are juniors.  And they have good quality in that group for sure.  6 or 7 kids each from the sophomore and freshmen classes.  The Qb, TE and a two way lineman are sophomores that start, may be others or at least others who get quality time on at least one side of the ball.  Plenty of OL and DL listed in the sophomore class, but would venture to guess not with the overall potential of the junior class.  They could improve technique and strength for sure over the next two years, as could any freshmen.  

I think a good question is what is happening in the middle school program at Laville.  Are there players that will be in the high school program that can contribute once this current junior group graduates?  There is bound to be some drop off when this current junior group is gone.  That is just the nature of the numbers at a smaller school.  Will the drop off be slight and short lived or are they looking at a longer period of rebuilding?  It is hard to put together sustained back to back strong classes that bring long lasting success at 1A and 2A schools.  There are certainly exceptions to this rule, but to this point I don't think Laville has been in that situation much in the past.

I give them all the credit in the world for what they have grown recently in the past two or three seasons.  Maybe if they can pull out a championship tonight or next year it will help further that momentum.  I think Triton is in the same phase with their program, maybe a year or two behind Laville.  

3 hours ago, littledog said:

What I'm trying to say is. 

In 2023 will be Triton's best season to win conference up to that point. 

They'll be similar to what Winamac was this season with a few 4 year starters, a lot of 3 year and 2 year guys. 

North Judson, Knox, Pioneer and LaVille (in no order) will be extremely tough next season and I don't see Triton beating any of those four but the year after will be Triton's best chance to beat them. Those teams lose great classes but will still have talent around but I'm not sure they'll have the talent to beat Triton that year. 

North Judson will be probably similar to what they were this year. A good group of seniors with a good group of juniors. I don't think their freshman are or will be as good as this years juniors so that's why I said probably. 

Culver will be so so and Winamac after a year of a transition period should be decent. 

Edited by WalterSobchak

3 hours ago, LionKing said:

If the roster on Max Preps is close to correct, 13 of their total of 28 players are juniors.  And they have good quality in that group for sure.  6 or 7 kids each from the sophomore and freshmen classes.  The Qb, TE and a two way lineman are sophomores that start, may be others or at least others who get quality time on at least one side of the ball.  Plenty of OL and DL listed in the sophomore class, but would venture to guess not with the overall potential of the junior class.  They could improve technique and strength for sure over the next two years, as could any freshmen.  

I think a good question is what is happening in the middle school program at Laville.  Are there players that will be in the high school program that can contribute once this current junior group graduates?  There is bound to be some drop off when this current junior group is gone.  That is just the nature of the numbers at a smaller school.  Will the drop off be slight and short lived or are they looking at a longer period of rebuilding?  It is hard to put together sustained back to back strong classes that bring long lasting success at 1A and 2A schools.  There are certainly exceptions to this rule, but to this point I don't think Laville has been in that situation much in the past.

I give them all the credit in the world for what they have grown recently in the past two or three seasons.  Maybe if they can pull out a championship tonight or next year it will help further that momentum.  I think Triton is in the same phase with their program, maybe a year or two behind Laville.  

My Dad has been the Head Junior High Coach of Laville for past 20 years or so. He has kinda told me who is coming up and who is gonna be tough. Sometimes those kids play soccer or just lose interest though. The Junior and Sophomore classes he told me were the two best classes he prb coached in 20 years. This past couple years were down but 3-4 good Athletes per group he said. 

3 hours ago, mumm6866 said:

My Dad has been the Head Junior High Coach of Laville for past 20 years or so. He has kinda told me who is coming up and who is gonna be tough. Sometimes those kids play soccer or just lose interest though. The Junior and Sophomore classes he told me were the two best classes he prb coached in 20 years. This past couple years were down but 3-4 good Athletes per group he said. 

Your uncle is one of my all time favorite people. 

On 11/3/2021 at 10:44 AM, LionKing said:

Culver @ North Judson

Hanover Central @ Knox 

Triton @ Adams Central 

Those 3 seem fairly obvious.  I agree that Culver could stick with North Judson if the Bluejays are not ready for a fight.

Pioneer @ LaVille --- Going with Pioneer only because you stick with a winner until someone proves they can beat them.  I would not be suprised at all if Laville wins this.  They might even have more overall talent and athleticism. Can they get over the mental hurdle of beating Pioneer though.  

Safe to say Laville is over the mental hurdle.  

2 hours ago, Lancernation said:

Safe to say Laville is over the mental hurdle.  

They are and that's huge for those kids. 

I can remember when Pioneer used to bad at everything.

My son, nephew and their friends were floored. All they know is Pioneer dominating at football, girls volleyball and softball every single year. 

i pictured a scene from rocky 4 last night when I heard the score early on (had to change the wordage)

They are hurt! See they aren't a machine! They are human!

good for LaVille. That gives them a big, big confidence booster for next season ..just hope not too much. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, RingLeader said:

Where is everyone?

2 teams still going

Judson-I think Judson smacks Carroll and gets ready for AC next week.

59ers- If Laville comes out mentally prepared for Andrean like they did for Pioneer they can beat them, but if they come in flat after an emotional win last week it could be a long night. LaVille cannot get drawn into Andrean's game plan. They need to slow the game down and control the clock.

Edited by FarmerFran