Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

State Tournament Rules

Are they being followed?

Restrictions
1.  Banners and posters are not allowed.
2.  No battery powered or electronic noise makers, fireworks, recorded music, sirens or whistles are allowed.
3.  Throwing of articles, including toilet tissue and baby powder, is not allowed.
4.  No live animal mascots are permitted at any time.
5. The facility should be as neutral as possible without any enhancements that emphasize a home team.

9 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

Are they being followed?

Restrictions
2.  No battery powered or electronic noise makers, fireworks, recorded music, sirens or whistles are allowed.
3.  Throwing of articles, including toilet tissue and baby powder, is not allowed.
5. The facility should be as neutral as possible without any enhancements that emphasize a home team.

I wonder if the sectionals were seeded, and the higher seeded team had earned home field advantage, would these rules go away? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I wonder if the sectionals were seeded, and the higher seeded team had earned home field advantage, would these rules go away? 

How does that matter Bobref?

Restriction #5 is the one that creates issues. As I understand it, during the regular season a PA announcer can cater to the home crowd, but in the tournament the facility is supposed to be "neutral". We had an opposing coach complain during the regular season about our PA announcer doing a Ric Flair "woooo", which is silly IMO. 

Just now, Bobref said:

The idea is to make the sites as neutral as possible … now. But if a team earns a home game in a seeded playoff, the site is no longer “neutral.” Now … as for live mascots …

As explained to me, the "neutrality" requirement comes from the fact that the IHSAA puts on the tournament and is paying the host school for the various integral workers - clock, PA, etc. All I know is if Northview's PA guy throws out a Ric Flair, then I'm going to my van for my tiger, Antonio. 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, tango said:

How does that matter Bobref?

Restriction #5 is the one that creates issues. As I understand it, during the regular season a PA announcer can cater to the home crowd, but in the tournament the facility is supposed to be "neutral". We had an opposing coach complain during the regular season about our PA announcer doing a Ric Flair "woooo", which is silly IMO. 

Woo GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

http://i.imgur.com/xrB0EpY.jpg

Edited by FastpacedO
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

The idea is to make the sites as neutral as possible … now. But if a team earns a home game in a seeded playoff, the site is no longer “neutral.” Now … as for live mascots …

Ihsaa: “make the sites as neutral as possible” 

also ihsaa: neutral playing fields in regionals/semi state is not happening. Sorry about your luck someone is driving 2 hours one way 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, MuleDriver said:

Looks like a good place to ask when the next school enrollment class  and sectional realignment is due to occur? 

This winter. 

5 hours ago, gonzoron said:

Are they being followed?

Restrictions

They exist, but it's up to the host school administration to follow and enforce them. Some treat the tournament games like typical home games. Others are a lot more strict. 

2 hours ago, crimsonace1 said:

This winter. 

They exist, but it's up to the host school administration to follow and enforce them. Some treat the tournament games like typical home games. Others are a lot more strict. 

East Noble comes to mind a few years back in a SemiState Game with Hobart. No restrictions.

1 hour ago, Indiana Fan said:

Some of these rules are laughable and ridiculous. Who in the world would want to play or even attend a football game with no music? Give me a break 

Agreed.

[sarcasm] I would like to see the IHSAA tell Danville they can't run out of the teepee and Roncalli can't run out of the woods during tournament game.  It violates Rule #5. 

10 hours ago, gonzoron said:

Are they being followed?

Restrictions

I'm pretty sure this rule came about when @Donnie Bakerbrought his dog to one of the Parke Heritage games and told them it was a mascot woof and not a dog.  I don't think they bought though.  I think he needed something a little bigger.

Create meme "mad dog , a vicious dog, evil little dog" - Pictures -  Meme-arsenal.com

• Haha 5

I've never in 12 years coaching or when I played seen any of these rules enforced lol. Not upset about it or anything, I just find it funny they lay these rules out. Maybe they should just call them "suggestions". I'd actually love to see a live animal mascot trot out before a game.

3 minutes ago, CoachVeatch said:

I'd actually love to see a live animal mascot trot out before a game.

I attended St. Edward in Lakewood, OH for 3 years before moving to Indiana. Our mascot was an eagle.  We actually had a live golden eagle, as private citizens couldn’t own a bald eagle. Used to fly it from one end of the gym to the other at home basketball games. Sort of like Air Force does with their falcon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CoachVeatch said:

I've never in 12 years coaching or when I played seen any of these rules enforced lol. Not upset about it or anything, I just find it funny they lay these rules out. Maybe they should just call them "suggestions". I'd actually love to see a live animal mascot trot out before a game.

Mountain Lions (Cougars) have now been spotted in Indiana, please don’t call the IHSAA if one happens to run across Amzie Miller Field! It probably feels safe from the lack of music coming from our speakers. 

Edited by NPFB
  • Haha 2

A lot of H.S. fields now either have have school's name on the scoreboard or some kind of signage on the press box that reads  "Home of the <insert mascot here>"  or something similiar.

Shouldn't these types of "home field enhancements" be covered up for tournament games?  And what about school name and symbols on the field itself, typically at the 50 yard line and in the end zones?   I assume removing those type of home field enhancements from all these fancy-dancy artificial turf field is an exercise in futility.

16 hours ago, foxbat said:

I'm pretty sure this rule came about when @Donnie Bakerbrought his dog to one of the Parke Heritage games and told them it was a mascot woof and not a dog.  I don't think they bought though.  I think he needed something a little bigger.

Create meme &quot;mad dog , a vicious dog, evil little dog&quot; - Pictures -  Meme-arsenal.com

First that’s just an ankle biter that a fire ass coaches wife would carry in her purse. 2nd and foremost if I bring a dog to a game it’s gonna be a badass dog like By-Tor and the Snowdogs. I gotta go 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Donnie Baker said:

First that’s just an ankle biter that a fire ass coaches wife would carry in her purse. 2nd and foremost if I bring a dog to a game it’s gonna be a badass dog like By-Tor and the Snowdogs. I gotta go 

Impressive 45+ year callback!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Donnie Baker said:

Untitled.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Donnie Baker said:

59 minutes ago, foxbat said:

Impressive 45+ year callback!

In 1977 my buddy "Rudy" Baker(say that slow) and I were sitting in his living room listening to this song when lightning struck a big Maple tree in front of his picture window about 20 feet away from us. He gave me the album, said he didn't like it. Biggest white ball of fire I've ever seen, even topped the magnesium fire we started at Indiana Gear Works in 1979 just to watch it burn. True story. I swear to God it is.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, NPFB said:

Mountain Lions (Cougars) have now been spotted in Indiana, please don’t call the IHSAA if one happens to run across Amzie Miller Field! It probably feels safe from the lack of music coming from our speakers. 

The old legends about the “Boone County Cougar”, were in no way an actual reference to a species of subfamily Felinae.  You’d have had a better chance of spotting one at Ike & Jonsies back in the day.

• Haha 2