Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

IU and Purdue Missed Badly Not Offering a Scholly to the Warhorse......

Bash Riprock

The Hoosiers and Boilers evidently thought last year's Indiana Mr. Football Carson Steele didn't measure up to earn a scholly.  So Ball State pounced....and glad they did.  The Cardinals true frosh running back had his 2nd 100+ yd performance last night of the season against Akron.  154 yds rushing, and a 5 yd TD reception.  

Steele is leading the Cardinals with 582 yds rushing on the season for a 5.2 ypc avg. 64.7 avg/game.  He also has 5 receptions for another 65 yds.  

Just blows me away neither IU or Purdue didn't think the young man merited enough value to provide him a scholarship offer.  I mean why they offer Indiana Mr. Football??

Recap from last nights Cardinal game.......

https://ballstatesports.com/news/2021/11/2/FB_AkronRecap.aspx

For some reason this post reminded me of the times Dullaghan used to complain that Purdue/IU weren't offering his unheralded Ben Davis recruits even though he did nothing to help steer his heralded recruits to those schools. Speaking of Steele, he's definately caught my attention. I figured he would be a LB in college. I woudl wager he doesn't spend 4 years in Muncie and will end up in the transfer portal at some point.

2 hours ago, Boilernation said:

For some reason this post reminded me of the times Dullaghan used to complain that Purdue/IU weren't offering his unheralded Ben Davis recruits even though he did nothing to help steer his heralded recruits to those schools. Speaking of Steele, he's definately caught my attention. I figured he would be a LB in college. I woudl wager he doesn't spend 4 years in Muncie and will end up in the transfer portal at some point.

Curious as far as that take on Dullaghan. I had the opposite impression. I think one of the issues, even with a couple recent coaches both programs had, was that kids in Indiana were not good enough to recruit. Having been around a couple seasons, at least one of them made that very clear while he was a coach at an FCS school. I know one of the coaches at IU was known to just not show up to meet players. Dullaghan was never shy about mentioning that, but I never had the impression he was not doing much to get his kids to go any where. There are some cases where coaches may shy away. Steve Holman was an absolute bust at MSU, and James Banks at Tennessee was only slightly better. Things like that will cloud opinions of college coaches. 

EDIT: details missed. A couple things to support DD as well. he did start the Bishop Dullaghan camp long before off season camps were a thing; not just to improve talent, but it allowed college coaches to watch kids compete. The other point is that he did come from Purdue to coach at BD. Jim Young left for West Point, and Mrs. D said it's football or me, so he stayed in Indiana. I would say he had a pretty good idea what it took for kids to get to college. 

51 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

I think this was deeper than I certainly intended.  I just think both IU and Purdue missed on Carson Steele.  I believe only Purdue extended him a PWO, so at least he had to be on their radar screen a little.  Both rosters have a number of Indiana kids of their rosters, and Carson's high school Center Grove has had a number of players offered and play over the years at a number of FBS and FCS universities.  This was not intended as a gripe for a certain high school or Indiana high school football in general.  This is about 2 major in-state universities, that have difficulty at times at keeping the state's best high school players in-state, have a chance to nail down Mr. Football, and missed the mark.  

At the end of the day, this may be a major blessing for Carson.  He's actually playing and contributing at Ball State.  The young man played and scored against Penn State in Happy Valley this season.  Perhaps this type of opportunity would have not come so soon for him at IU or Purdue.  But make no mistake, he would have been an excellent contributor over time at these schools.  He works way too hard, is too determined and talented not to succeed.  

https://www.ballstatedaily.com/article/2021/09/sports-ball-state-football-cardinals-carson-steele-center-grove-trojans-feature

Ball State head coach Mike Neu said there are more positives than negatives when the ball is in the freshman running back’s hands and told him that if he practices how he plays, he will get more touches. He also said he loves the physical traits he brings to the table, which help him grind out extra yards.

“He’s got great size,” Neu said. “He’s got good speed — he has all those things. When we were able to get him to commit to the Cardinals and we were able to get him here on campus, his work ethic is what stood out. His strength stood out. He put it out there on the practice field each and every day. He’s going to get the ball more and more because he’s earned those reps.”

Ball State offensive coordinator Kevin Lynch said Steele’s work ethic is what caught his attention. He said he practices like he plays and gives the same intensity in practice that he does in games.

“He’s a great kid,” Lynch said. “When he came here, he had it physically, and he was ready to go talent-wise. Sometimes, the challenge for freshmen is getting caught up to the speed of the game. He has been a guy that has really attacked that hard and has caught on really strong.”

While Steele is only a freshman, he has scored three touchdowns in four games and is trying to make the most out of his touches.

“He is not one of those guys who says a whole lot,” Neu said. “He is a freshman still trying to find his way — he does all of his talking with his work ethic. He is just working hard —  he is super early to meetings, sitting in the front of the class and a lot of things have been so positive.” 

53 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Sometimes it can just be a numbers game. For IU, they had several RB's, including a preferred walk on from New Pal. We have seen the o line needs more work. But it is great to see Carson doing well. 

You are probably right Irish....except that running back group is a little smaller now......but I understand what you are saying.

• Like 1

IU & Purdue missed out.  They blew it.  Not the first time and it won't be the last but Steele could have been theirs and they passed.  I'm a lifelong IU fan but was more surprised at Purdue passing on him because their game was built around a very similar style running back.  Steele would have been a perfect fit.

Not sure I follow the comment about Dullaghan doing nothing to help the prize recruits.  I don't know if he did or not but I can assure you that Coach Moore (former IU player) does everything he can for his recruited players and would love to open more of a channel between Bargersville and Bloomington.  

• Like 2

IU and Purdue are about to do the same thing with Colin Price from Zionsville , a career that has some similarities to Steele (will finish with close to 6000 career yards 60+ rush TDs) no history of injuries (knock on wood) . Started to draw some FCS attention was able to pick up an offer from Eastern Illinois . Don't get it but I guess its not my job. 

20 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

The Hoosiers and Boilers evidently thought last year's Indiana Mr. Football Carson Steele didn't measure up to earn a scholly.  So Ball State pounced....and glad they did.  The Cardinals true frosh running back had his 2nd 100+ yd performance last night of the season against Akron.  154 yds rushing, and a 5 yd TD reception.  

Steele is leading the Cardinals with 582 yds rushing on the season for a 5.2 ypc avg. 64.7 avg/game.  He also has 5 receptions for another 65 yds.  

Just blows me away neither IU or Purdue didn't think the young man merited enough value to provide him a scholarship offer.  I mean why they offer Indiana Mr. Football??

Recap from last nights Cardinal game.......

https://ballstatesports.com/news/2021/11/2/FB_AkronRecap.aspx

I think it is far too early to make this claim.  Now, if the kid is at the combine in 2-3 years?  Sure.  

How does 582 rushing yards against a MAC schedule compare/translate to the Big Ten?

37 minutes ago, temptation said:

I think it is far too early to make this claim.  Now, if the kid is at the combine in 2-3 years?  Sure.  

How does 582 rushing yards against a MAC schedule compare/translate to the Big Ten?

I am not sure how to make a comparison.....most likely, a true frosh running back wouldn't be getting many snaps if any in the Big 10....from that end, it may be a blessing for him to be playing at a MAC school.  There may be a few, but not many....

I do agree with Grover....given Purdue's history of using big backs...I would have thought he would have been a perfect fit for their offense.  Especially how he can also block and catch the ball out of the backfield.

Maybe just maybe ,mr. And mrs. Steele along with Jr.. decided that for them , Ball State was a better fit and opportunity . Man has anyone been paying attention to PU and IU’s programs? Uh, the Steele family may be on to something here. Let’s reevaluate in a few years. 

1 hour ago, southend said:

Maybe just maybe ,mr. And mrs. Steele along with Jr.. decided that for them , Ball State was a better fit and opportunity . Man has anyone been paying attention to PU and IU’s programs? Uh, the Steele family may be on to something here. Let’s reevaluate in a few years. 

I am not saying Ball State isn't the best fit....this may be a life blessing and I do believe God helps us on the right path if we are willing to listen with our ears and our hearts.  But I would have liked to have seen Carson have the choice and I hope IU and Purdue opens their eyes a little more at our in-state talent.  But I don't disagree...Ball State may end up being the absolutely perfect fit.

3 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

I am not saying Ball State isn't the best fit....this may be a life blessing and I do believe God helps us on the right path if we are willing to listen with our ears and our hearts.  But I would have liked to have seen Carson have the choice and I hope IU and Purdue opens their eyes a little more at our in-state talent.  But I don't disagree...Ball State may end up being the absolutely perfect fit.

Understood. 

With how easy it has become to transfer, there's little reason for IU or Purdue to take a chance like this anymore.  If either of them wants him now that he has shown himself to be a player at the MAC level, they can probably get him via transfer.  Or he may land even better opportunities than those if he continues to look good.  Any P5 school with an opening near the top of their RB depth chart will be combing through the top players at the G5 level for transfers.  

4 hours ago, temptation said:

He has to be a combine invite before you'll admit it was a mistake to pass on him??

3 hours ago, southend said:

No

1 hour ago, Grover said:

He has to be a combine invite before you'll admit it was a mistake to pass on him??

No

Nah, maybe that was a bit premature now that I look at it in retrospect but to make this outlandish claim as if it some sort of disrespect two-thirds of the way into the kid's freshman year is also premature.

The MAC is a respectable mid-major conference but it is not the Big Ten.

37 minutes ago, temptation said:

Nah, maybe that was a bit premature now that I look at it in retrospect but to make this outlandish claim as if it some sort of disrespect two-thirds of the way into the kid's freshman year is also premature.

I made it during the recruiting process last year and I stand by it.

5 hours ago, XStar said:

With how easy it has become to transfer, there's little reason for IU or Purdue to take a chance like this anymore.  

Don't they take a chance on every recruit....guessing every P5 team is full of players on their rosters that don't become the contributors they hoped.....

But I hear what you are saying about the T portal.  Although if a school skips the player once, why would they be inclined to give them another chance?