Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

IU and Purdue Missed Badly Not Offering a Scholly to the Warhorse......

Bash Riprock

2 hours ago, temptation said:

Nah, maybe that was a bit premature now that I look at it in retrospect but to make this outlandish claim as if it some sort of disrespect two-thirds of the way into the kid's freshman year is also premature.

The MAC is a respectable mid-major conference but it is not the Big Ten.

My comment had nothing to do with disrespect....never used that word or made a reference.  My claim is that may have missed a pretty big fish in their own back yard.  A very well known fish.

The MAC isn't the Big 10....but I have sure watched their teams over the years play pretty darn respectable against the Big 10.  I know both IU and Purdue have written checks to MAC teams, only to take a loss at home against them.  Not always an easy out for the Big 10, and have a number of players from their teams playing on Sundays.   Colts even have a couple of MAC players and a number of former mid-major alumns.....

7 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

Don't they take a chance on every recruit....guessing every P5 team is full of players on their rosters that don't become the contributors they hoped.....

But I hear what you are saying about the T portal.  Although if a school skips the player once, why would they be inclined to give them another chance?

Rocky Lombardi (no relation to Vince) transferred from Michigan State to Northern Illinois...

10 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

My comment had nothing to do with disrespect....never used that word or made a reference.  My claim is that may have missed a pretty big fish in their own back yard.  A very well known fish.

The MAC isn't the Big 10....but I have sure watched their teams over the years play pretty darn respectable against the Big 10.  I know both IU and Purdue have written checks to MAC teams, only to take a loss at home against them.  Not always an easy out for the Big 10, and have a number of players from their teams playing on Sundays.   Colts even have a couple of MAC players and a number of former mid-major alumns.....

Let’s revisit this topic in 2-3 years…

13 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

I never saw it that way.  It can be hard to get playing time on the big stage that is Purdue, IU, and the rest of the B1G when you're at a skill position.  The MAC could be a good place for him, as their athletes do, in fact, get drafted.  Case in point: Ben Roethlisberger (Miami--Oxford, OH).

This hoss is out of here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bash Riprock said:

Don't they take a chance on every recruit....guessing every P5 team is full of players on their rosters that don't become the contributors they hoped.....

But I hear what you are saying about the T portal.  Although if a school skips the player once, why would they be inclined to give them another chance?

Sometimes the player gets overlooked coming out of high school for whatever reasons then when they show what they can do at a mid-major level, they become a pretty sought-after recruit as a transfer.  Whatever their perceived limitations might have been have either been overcome or proven to not be as important as they were once thought to be.  

Either way, if Steele has good success at Ball State, there will probably be opportunities for him to step up into a bigger program if he should desire to.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, temptation said:

Cool.  You’re probably not biased either.

If that's what you call somebody who has seen him up close for years then yes.

2 hours ago, XStar said:

The same thing that prevented most other P5 programs from offering I guess.  

What is that thing?

25 minutes ago, XStar said:

Either way, if Steele has good success at Ball State, there will probably be opportunities for him to step up into a bigger program if he should desire to.  

I hope he doesn't.  Or if he does I hope it isn't one of the local schools that told him to pound sand last year.

But I'm a spiteful ol' cuss.

12 hours ago, Grover said:

If that's what you call somebody who has seen him up close for years then yes.

What is that thing?

Can you please provide us with your resume including references and reasoning why your eyes and ability to see him “up close” is superior to the Indiana and Purdue coaching staffs?

Are you on a university’s football payroll somewhere?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, southend said:

Speaking of Ball state , anyone watch Colts game last night? Alum catches a pass for the TD. Could be Steele in a few years. 

I did see that...very cool to see a lineman catch a TD.  Love when that happens!!

I thought they mentioned that Danny Pinter played some TE while at Ball State....did I hear correctly??

3 hours ago, temptation said:

Can you please provide us with your resume including references and reasoning why your eyes and ability to see him “up close” is superior to the Indiana and Purdue coaching staffs?

Hey folks....this was never meant to be an argument over each other's opinions.  Just sharing a personal observation...doesn't make anyone wrong or right.  I am not certainly claiming I know more than anyone else on this topic.  I respect Grover's insight because he knows the kid...knows his abilities, his work ethic, character, etc.  Probably better than anyone recruiting him.

I think recruiting by colleges at any level is not an exact science.  Guessing the majority of the time, the good programs get it right.  But we all know they are not anywhere close to 100%.  I just think IU and Purdue missed with Steele.  I respect if many of you feel differently.  At the end of the day, he may be exactly where he should be in his life journey.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

Hey folks....this was never meant to be an argument over each other's opinions.  Just sharing a personal observation...doesn't make anyone wrong or right.  I am not certainly claiming I know more than anyone else on this topic.  I respect Grover's insight because he knows the kid...knows his abilities, his work ethic, character, etc.  Probably better than anyone recruiting him.

I think recruiting by colleges at any level is not an exact science.  Guessing the majority of the time, the good programs get it right.  But we all know they are not anywhere close to 100%.  I just think IU and Purdue missed with Steele.  I respect if many of you feel differently.  At the end of the day, he may be exactly where he should be in his life journey.

The first two sentences of your second paragraph nail it.  Too many variables to make the assumption that IU/Purdue “missed” on the kid ESPECIALLY this early in the process.

Who is to say he didn’t use the disrespect that he WAS shunned by big time programs as a motivator that has contributed to his impressive start?

So many folks are “D1 or bust” or “P5 or bust” when in fact there are countless examples (even some in this thread) that show that it really doesn’t matter.  If you’re good, they’ll find you.  If they miss once, the transfer portal is always an option.

I loved watching the kid play and echo the sentiments of many on here (albeit from afar) but to pretend we know more than the staffs that recruit these kids is a bit extreme.

Edited by temptation

5 hours ago, temptation said:

No need to resort to your normal immature taunts.

On 11/3/2021 at 11:27 AM, Irishman said:

Curious as far as that take on Dullaghan.

I should probably walk them back. Poor choice of words. I used to follow National and Purdue recruiting religiously. Can't recall who the player was, but I remember GBI getting a quote from Dullaghan complaining that Purdue wasn't offering the guy. 

• Like 1

This is a perfect case of a kid getting great advice and going exactly to the school that fits his skill level.

Would you rather be Carson rolling up the yards and TDs at BSU or Charlie sitting and playing special teams at IU?

Neither kid is a Big Ten RB.  

One got good guidance, the other didnt.

Edited by HHF

6 minutes ago, HHF said:

This is a perfect case of a kid getting great advice and going exactly to the school that fits his skill level.

Would you rather be Carson rolling up the yards and TDs at IU or Charlie sitting and playing special teams at IU?

Neither kid is a Big Ten RB.  

One got good guidance, the other didnt.

I think you mean Carson at Ball U. But I completely under stand your take here. 

9 minutes ago, southend said:

I corrected it

9 minutes ago, southend said: