Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Whiteshoes Top 100

Here are my Top 100 high school football teams for this week:

1.       Santa Ana (CA) Mater Dei (8-0)

2.       Bradenton (FL) IMG Academy (8-0)

3.       Austin (TX) Westlake (9-0)

4.       Oradell (NJ) Bergen Catholic (9-0)

5.       Bellflower (CA) St. John Bosco (9-1)

6.       Baltimore (MD) St. Frances Academy (5-1)

7.       Greenwood (IN) Center Grove (10-0)

8.       Duncanville (TX) (7-1)

9.       Chandler (AZ) (8-0)

10.   Southlake (TX) Carroll (9-0)

11.   Suwanee (GA) Collins Hill (9-0)

12.   Washington (DC) St. Johns (8-0)

13.   Anaheim (CA) Servite (8-2)

14.   Katy (TX) (9-0)

15.   Hoover (AL) (10-0)

16.   Bixby (OK) (9-0)

17.   Chandler (AZ) Hamilton (8-0)

18.   Houston (TX) Westfield (9-0)

19.   Tampa (FL) Jesuit (9-0)

20.   Las Vegas (NV) Bishop Gorman (9-1)

21.   Corona (CA) Centennial (9-0)

22.   Fort Lauderdale (FL) St. Thomas Aquinas (9-1)

23.   Irmo (SC) Dutch Fork (8-0)

24.   Houston (TX) North Shore (8-1)

25.   Alabaster (AL) Thompson (9-1)

26.   Murfreesboro (TN) Oakland (9-0)

27.   Highlands Ranch (CO) Valor Christian (10-0)

28.   Concord (CA) De La Salle (7-2)

29.   Miami (FL) Central (8-2)

30.   Severn (MD) Archbishop Spalding (9-0)

31.   Aledo (TX) (9-0)

32.   New Orleans (LA) Edna Karr (7-0)

33.   Humble (TX) Atascocita (8-2)

34.   Indianapolis (IN) Cathedral (10-1)

35.   Allen (TX) (7-2)

36.   Pickerington (OH) Central (10-1)

37.   Denton (TX) Guyer (9-1)

38.   St. Louis (MO) Christian Brothers (9-1)

39.   Nashville (TN) Lipscomb Academy (9-1)

40.   Denton (TX) Ryan (9-1)

41.   Wilmette (IL) Loyola Academy (10-0)

42.   Chesapeake (VA) Oscar Smith (7-1)

43.   Rockwall (TX) Rockwall-Heath (8-1)

44.   Draper (UT) Corner Canyon (10-1)

45.   Carmel (IN) (9-1)

46.   Austin (TX) Lake Travis (8-1)

47.   Hochston (GA) Mill Creek (8-1)

48.   Dallas (TX) Highland Park (8-1)

49.   Hollywood (FL) Chaminade-Madonna (7-1)

50.   Cornelius (NC) Hough (10-0)

51.   East St. Louis (IL) (8-2)

52.   Cincinnati (OH) St. Xavier (9-2)

53.   Euless (TX) Trinity (8-1)

54.   Buford (GA) (8-1)

55.   Louisville (KY) Male (9-0)

56.   Miami (FL) Northwestern (7-3)

57.   Hyattsville (MD) DeMatha (6-2)

58.   West Chester (OH) Lakota West (10-1)

59.   North Charleston (SC) Fort Dorchester (9-0)

60.   Milton (GA) (9-1)

61.   Lakewood (OH) St. Edward (10-1)

62.   Greensboro (NC) Grimsley (10-0)

63.   Henderson (NV) Liberty (9-1)

64.   Kennesaw (GA) North Cobb (8-1)

65.   Mission Viejo (CA) (9-1)

66.   Wyndmoor (PA) LaSalle College (8-1)

67.   Starkville (MS) (8-1)

68.   Gaffney (SC) (10-0)

69.   Warner Robins (GA) (8-1)

70.   Baton Rouge (LA) Catholic (8-1)

71.   Fort Lauderdale (FL) Dillard (8-1)

72.   Madison (MS) Central (8-1)

73.   Phenix City (AL) Central (10-0)

74.   Rocklin (CA) (10-0)

75.   Leesburg (GA) Lee County (8-1)

76.   Maryville (TN) (10-0)

77.   Miami (FL) Gulliver Prep (6-1)

78.   Carlsbad (CA) (10-0)

79.   Philadelphia (PA) St. Joseph Prep (6-2)

80.   Valdosta (GA) Lowndes (8-2)

81.   Bryant (AR) (7-1)

82.   Graham (WA) Graham-Kapowsin (9-0)

83.   Charlotte (NC) Chambers (9-1)

84.   Katy (TX) Tompkins (9-1)

85.   Ashburn (VA) Stone Bridge (10-0)

86.   Trussville (AL) Hewitt-Trussville (8-2)

87.   Lehi (UT) Skybridge (10-1)

88.   Edwardsburg (MI) (10-0)

89.   Joliet (IL) Catholic (10-0)

90.   Fort Lauderdale (FL) Cardinal Gibbons (7-2)

91.   Highland (UT) Lone Peak (7-2)

92.   Kimberly (WI) (11-0)

93.   Wayne (NJ) DePaul Catholic (7-2)

94.   Venice (FL) (8-1)

95.   Norman Park (GA) Colquitt County (8-2)

96.   Chandler (AZ) Basha (9-0)

97.   Baton Rouge (LA) University Lab (9-0)

98.   Columbus (OH) Upper Arlington (11-0)

99.   Shillington (PA) Governor Mifflin (8-0)

100.      Portland (OR) Central Catholic (8-0)

• Like 1

Good to see CG in the top 10

at 92….Kimberly Wisconsin….lol 

i get that they haven’t won a state title since 2017, but they have a 117-6 record since 2013/2014 including 5 state titles and are 11-0 this year 

they are on par with CG/Carmel/Cathedral imo…they should be in the top 25 

but I’m just being picky lol #92 in the nation is phenomenal 

Edit:  they also had a streak of 70+ straight wins and 5 straight state championships and 6 straight appearances 

1 hour ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

i get that they haven’t won a state title since 2017, but they have a 117-6 record since 2013/2014 including 5 state titles and are 11-0 this year 

Edit:  they also had a streak of 70+ straight wins and 5 straight state championships and 6 straight appearances 

I get ridiculed on the other board for ranking them, but the Papermakers are strong each season.    Should they meet up with Franklin in the final game, it would be one worth watching.

49 minutes ago, Justasportsfan said:

Carmel keeps creeping up...👀

A win Friday night most likely assures them a spot in the final poll.

• 1 month later...
On 11/4/2021 at 11:02 AM, whiteshoes said:

I get ridiculed on the other board for ranking them, but the Papermakers are strong each season.    Should they meet up with Franklin in the final game, it would be one worth watching.

A win Friday night most likely assures them a spot in the final poll.

@whiteshoes

Can you give me a quick rundown of Texas’ playoffs? 

For example, I just watched Westlake win the 6A Division 2 championship on TV.  So they are the small half of the largest class championship? Is that how it works? 

32 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

@whiteshoes

For example, I just watched Westlake win the 6A Division 2 championship on TV.  So they are the small half of the largest class championship? Is that how it works? 

Trying to keep track of how the classes are stacked in each state is a nightmare lol

some states have 1A as the largest and then going down you could have like 4A being the smallest…other states have numerous divisions like New York has 4 different divisions for just Long Island by the looks of it.  It’s all weird 

1 hour ago, oldtimeqb said:

@whiteshoes

The state is divided into districts based on enrollments.    District play is a round robin format with the two highest finishing teams advancing to tournament play.   The largest enrollment school advancing from each district plays in Division 1 with the smallest enrollment school playing in Division 2.   That is why some years a school like Katy will play Conference 6 Division 1 and in other years play in Conference 6 Division 2.     The state has five "conferences" with two divisions in each conference.     Westlake won Conference 6A Division 2 while Houston North Shore won Conference 6 Division 1 this year.   Hope this helps.

57 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

@whiteshoes

Kind of.  The way that you are describing it is how it works for everything except 6A in Texas.  There can be some decent-sized disparities within districts and in 6A.  6A spans from 7,000+ to around 2,200.  My alma mater, which is out of an ISD with at least 12 6A schools in it, has roughly 3,300.  Another school in our district only has around 2,300.

The way Division I and Division II work in 6A for Texas is that, in a district, the top four teams advance to the playoffs.  The largest two of those four go to Division I and the two smallest go to Division II.  All things even, it should, theoretically have the largest teams playing each other and the smallest teams playing each other.  You could, however, due to the fact that it is done post-season, have District A where the top four placement teams are the four largest in their district and the next-door district, District B, works out where its four smallest teams end up with the best records.  District A's two smallest teams that place, and will go to Division II, could be larger than District B's two largest teams that place, which will go to Division I.

Here are the classification cutoffs for Texas ... except 6A:

image.thumb.png.a12bd78f2d560a022cb920dc4a172b1b.png

45 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Trying to keep track of how the classes are stacked in each state is a nightmare lol

some states have 1A as the largest and then going down you could have like 4A being the smallest…other states have numerous divisions like New York has 4 different divisions for just Long Island by the looks of it.  It’s all weird 

New York is a disaster.    New Jersey is getting better, they used to just play a sectional and everyone went home.   They have tightened it up a little, but still have too many championships.   Some states have different sanctioning bodies with several having private school associations (TAPPS in Texas for example).   I believe that Indiana is the only one with an all inclusive format.   Ohio expanded their tournament this year to allow more in while some states eliminated classes.    You are right when you state that Ohio's largest class is Division 1 while in other states that is the smallest enrolled division.    It sure makes tracking them all kind of tough.

5 minutes ago, whiteshoes said:

New York is a disaster.    New Jersey is getting better, they used to just play a sectional and everyone went home.   They have tightened it up a little, but still have too many championships.   Some states have different sanctioning bodies with several having private school associations (TAPPS in Texas for example).   I believe that Indiana is the only one with an all inclusive format.   Ohio expanded their tournament this year to allow more in while some states eliminated classes.    You are right when you state that Ohio's largest class is Division 1 while in other states that is the smallest enrolled division.    It sure makes tracking them all kind of tough.

Texas probably needs an association just for private schools considering how many football teams Texas has.  

which before someone takes it down that road…Indiana does not have enough schools playing football to have a balanced system that separates private and public and I certainly enjoy it a lot more when they do have to face off against each other.    320 ish schools is simply just not enough to make moves similar to states that have 700+ easy 

Texas probably needs an association just for private schools considering how many football teams Texas has.  

which before someone takes it down that road…Indiana does not have enough schools playing football to have a balanced system that separates private and public and I certainly enjoy it a lot more when they do have to face off against each other.    320 ish schools is simply just not enough to make moves similar to states that have 700+ easy 

Already has one ... it's called TAPPS: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Association_of_Private_and_Parochial_Schools.  Texas probably has around 75 teams playing P/P ball ... not including the 6-man teams. 

1 hour ago, foxbat said:

Already has one ... it's called TAPPS: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Association_of_Private_and_Parochial_Schools.  Texas probably has around 75 teams playing P/P ball ... not including the 6-man teams. 

Thanks and thanks to @whiteshoesas well.

Just so I’m clear -  In 6A, teams don’t know if they are Div 1 or 2 until after the regular season and 4 playoff teams are determined? (Although technically the largest 2 and smallest 2 in a district would know, but the middle teams may not.) 

24 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

Thanks and thanks to @whiteshoesas well.

Just so I’m clear -  In 6A, teams don’t know if they are Div 1 or 2 until after the regular season and 4 playoff teams are determined? (Although technically the largest 2 and smallest 2 in a district would know, but the middle teams may not.) 

Correct.  The Division I and Division II are only figured out AFTER the playoff qualifying is determined.  You are correct in that some schools will know they are going to be Division I or Division II fairly automatically.  If you are one of the top largest in a district, you are going to be Division I and if you are one of the bottom two in size in a district, you are going to be Division II.  If you are the third largest in a district, you could be in Division I or Division II ... same with the third smallest.  Further adding a little jiggle to things is that some districts have ten teams in them and some only have six.

The only one who is guaranteed, regardless of re-districting that occurs, is Allen.  They are always going to be Division I because they are about 7,000+ and the largest school in the state.  Unlike Carmel in Indiana, there's not as much grousing about them being a mega-school.  Mega-schools, especially in Dallas, have been a way of playing the system since I was in high school back in the 70s.  There used to be the Big Guys in Dallas like Richardson, Plano, and Lake Highlands, which is also where the money was at the time, that used to have huge schools.  Plano finally split up albeit there's still something to the mega-school mystique.  There are three Plano senior highs, Plano, Plano West, and Plano East, but they only house 11-12 grades in them.  West has about 2,700, East has has about 2,900, and Plano has has about 2,600.  They are fed by six 9-10 schools which house about 1,000 to 1,500 each.

On 11/4/2021 at 11:01 AM, DumfriesYMCA said:

Appleton North      21     Kimberly      10.       With that said, I agree with you on their historic run and I am a big fan of the Papermakers.     However, since Wisconsin teams do not play out of state it is difficult to judge any team in their state. 

9 minutes ago, whiteshoes said:

Appleton North      21     Kimberly      10.       With that said, I agree with you on their historic run and I am a big fan of the Papermakers.     However, since Wisconsin teams do not play out of state it is difficult to judge any team in their state. 

I don’t know why many don’t try to play out of state.  Last I checked the only requirement to make playoffs was to have a winning record in conference.  You could go 0-5 out of conference but 4-0 in conference and make playoffs.  

at least that’s how it was 

1 minute ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

I don’t know why many don’t try to play out of state.  Last I checked the only requirement to make playoffs was to have a winning record in conference.  You could go 0-5 out of conference but 4-0 in conference and make playoffs.  

Minnesota and Wisconsin have a reciprocity agreement for most of their state colleges ... you can get Minnesota in-state tuition if you are from Wisconsin and attend a Minnesota state school ... so it would seem that "cooperation" already exists between the two states to a degree.

In all the years I have been tracking these teams, I can never recall a Wisconsin team (of matter) playing an out of state opponent.    If they are allowed 5 out of conference games, you would think someone sometime would schedule a Minnesota or Illinois team.    Do not know if they have a travel restriction or not, but apparently there is something holding them back.

17 minutes ago, whiteshoes said:

In all the years I have been tracking these teams, I can never recall a Wisconsin team (of matter) playing an out of state opponent.    If they are allowed 5 out of conference games, you would think someone sometime would schedule a Minnesota or Illinois team.    Do not know if they have a travel restriction or not, but apparently there is something holding them back.

The only ones I can recall are some of the northern teams playing teams from the U.P. of Michigan.  But those are small schools in the middle of the north woods.  

Edited by DumfriesYMCA