Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

New Pal @ Cathedral

1 hour ago, FastpacedO said:

No player from New Pal's current team was on the field in 2019. However there are a few Seniors on Cathedral's current team that were on the field in 2019 both Offensively and Defensively and were starting as Sophomore's. That being said I am sure the players are just preparing for their current opponent and not things from 2019.

I believe he was talking about New Pal's current team (2021) is Sophomore/Junior heavy. New Pal's 2019 team that beat Cathedral in the Regional 35-10 was Senior/Junior heavy.

Gotcha.  Thanks for the clarification.

13 hours ago, FastpacedO said:

No player from New Pal's current team was on the field in 2019. However there are a few Seniors on Cathedral's current team that were on the field in 2019 both Offensively and Defensively and were starting as Sophomore's. That being said I am sure the players are just preparing for their current opponent and not things from 2019.

I believe he was talking about New Pal's current team (2021) is Sophomore/Junior heavy. New Pal's 2019 team that beat Cathedral in the Regional 35-10 was Senior/Junior heavy.

So New Pal should be good to very good next year?

30 minutes ago, psaboy said:

Only have 4 seniors starting.  Quarterback, guard, linebacker, and safety.  Several seniors in the defensive line rotation, though.

At 1-3, this group had a lot to learn about playing hard and needed to improve their mental toughness.  They've grown up a lot the last few weeks.  I doubt it's enough to legitimately compete with the Irish on Friday, but 8 weeks ago, I didn't think they'd win the sectional either.

FWIW, two junior OL and one sophomore OL are getting legit FBS looks.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, psaboy said:

I would say 100% yes they should be very good next year with a lot of young talent learning this year. They actually have progressed to be good this year with what you would call trial by fire. They graduated an extremely talented group in 2019. When you have that many talented upperclassmen playing the underclassmen don't get as many reps and they will have to learn with experience. New Pal definitely has a bright future, heck they are playing good football right now. I watched them against Decatur Central (a game they should have won) and they were solid, they just needed to learn and grow. Yes they took some lumps starting 1-3, but they learned a lot about themselves in those 3 losses to good teams (all who are still playing minus DC who lost to Cathedral last Friday).

10 hours ago, CaptainHook said:

Only have 4 seniors starting.  Quarterback, guard, linebacker, and safety.  Several seniors in the defensive line rotation, though.

At 1-3, this group had a lot to learn about playing hard and needed to improve their mental toughness.  They've grown up a lot the last few weeks.  I doubt it's enough to legitimately compete with the Irish on Friday, but 8 weeks ago, I didn't think they'd win the sectional either.

FWIW, two junior OL and one sophomore OL are getting legit FBS looks.

Agreed, I remember you specifically stating in a post they had a lot of learning to do. Coach Ralph and staff have definitely gone to work and have them improving each week. 

22 minutes ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

Cathedral has 40 juniors. Starting QB, WR1, TE1, 4Star DT are only returners, but should not have a ton of fall-off. Maybe we'll get a couple years of New Pal...

Only if New Pal pulls the upset.  If Cathedral wins, they are off to 6A for two years, and New Pal will return to 4A.

5 hours ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

Cathedral has 40 juniors. Starting QB, WR1, TE1, 4Star DT are only returners, but should not have a ton of fall-off. Maybe we'll get a couple years of New Pal...

If New Pal wins, yes, they'll likely butt heads for two more years. 

If Cathedral wins, the Irish go to 6A and Dragons to 4A for the next two years. 

56 minutes ago, TigerFan20 said:

No, they will be back in 2023, unless they win their sectional and regional in 2022

New two-year cycle begins this summer. There will be no Success Factor movement in 2023. 

I need to check with the IHSAA to see if the teams that got bumped but didn't win a sectional this year (like Chatard and WeBo) stay up for the next cycle or if they go back down. 

4 hours ago, ACES said:

Does anyone know if this game will be televised?  I have not seen it listed on IHSAA Champions Network!  Thanks

I don't know of a video webcast but assume there will be one. WNDE (Cathedral) and NewPalRadio.com (New Pal) are both producing audio broadcasts. I'll be doing play-by-play on the New Pal broadcast. 

13 minutes ago, crimsonace1 said:

New two-year cycle begins this summer. There will be no Success Factor movement in 2023. 

I need to check with the IHSAA to see if the teams that got bumped but didn't win a sectional this year (like Chatard and WeBo) stay up for the next cycle or if they go back down. 

Thanks, forgot to factor in that last year didn’t count

1 hour ago, TigerFan20 said:

No, they will be back in 2023, unless they win their sectional and regional in 2022

So they will be in a different success cycle than Cathedral who would move up for 2022 and 2023?

4 minutes ago, RLS1 said:

So they will be in a different success cycle than Cathedral who would move up for 2022 and 2023?

Well, since last year never counted, the new 2 year cycle will begin in Summer 2022 supposedly. I need to look more into this, since not counting last year screwed up a lot of things 

Here on the SF details
https://www.ihsaa.org/Portals/0/ihsaa/documents/Tournament Success Factor/Tournament Success Factor Provisions.pdf

Edited by TigerFan20

10 minutes ago, TigerFan20 said:

Well, since last year never counted, the new 2 year cycle will begin in Summer 2022 supposedly. I need to look more into this, since not counting last year screwed up a lot of things 

Here on the SF details
https://www.ihsaa.org/Portals/0/ihsaa/documents/Tournament Success Factor/Tournament Success Factor Provisions.pdf

Thanks you can see I am confused about it.

1 hour ago, TigerFan20 said:

Here on the SF details

I am confused also....since last year didn't count, Cathedral wont move up next year unless they lobby to move up.  Is that accurate?  That was my understanding since last year didn't count.  Again, I am confused and could be easily be wrong.  Thanks.

18 minutes ago, Sports Freak20 said:

I am confused also....since last year didn't count, Cathedral wont move up next year unless they lobby to move up.  Is that accurate?  That was my understanding since last year didn't count.  Again, I am confused and could be easily be wrong.  Thanks.

Maybe? Our girls soccer team last year was in 3A, but they got moved back down this year. I’m not the expert when it comes to the SF, maybe Cathedral stays in 5A dude to enrollment 

Edited by TigerFan20

26 minutes ago, Sports Freak20 said:

That is correct, and in one of the messages above there is a link which confirms that (i.e. Cathedral stays in 5A 2021-2022 seasons, and next fall will be 2022 season).

• Like 1