Jump to content
The Gridiron Digest

4A East Central at Memorial


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, jets said:

Interesting thought entered my mind the other day....is this one instance for Memorial where they are GLAD to be Success Factor'd up?? Meaning, they've avoided this years Gibson Southern team?? 

I know you've handled business against them in the past...but just wondering...

I think Memorial would have been very glad to see who would come out on top in the win column over past decade vs GS, particularly versus this GS squad.  Maybe especially so.  Since 2012 the series is tied 3-3.  Three of those six were Sectional Finals.  Two were decided by nine points, one by six, and one by three (in OT).  The other two games they split a healthy beat down on each other.  I'm sure EM would have been champing at the bit to get to GS in sectionals... which the ping-pong gods would have deemed first round worthy, I'm sure.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Spitting Llamas said:

Yeah, I don't think Memorial is scared of anyone at this point. When you get success factored up and continue to win at a high level you aren't trying to avoid anyone. To be honest, I'm sure they would prefer to be in 3A and not have East Central and potentially Roncalli ahead of them. 

100%. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Esso Ayche said:

I think Memorial would have been very glad to see who would come out on top in the win column over past decade vs GS, particularly versus this GS squad.  Maybe especially so.  Since 2012 the series is tied 3-3.  Three of those six were Sectional Finals.  Two were decided by nine points, one by six, and one by three (in OT).  The other two games they split a healthy beat down on each other.  I'm sure EM would have been champing at the bit to get to GS in sectionals... which the ping-pong gods would have deemed first round worthy, I'm sure.

I'm (obviously) a Memorial homer.  But I think it's very likely that being in 4A in 2019 got us a state championship we wouldn't have gotten in 3A.  Heritage Hills had a solid team that year and their state finals game against Chatard was a complete mismatch.  I don't see how we could've beaten that Chatard team...despite the fact we'd beaten them the year prior.  IMO, we weren't as good as we were in 2018...and Chatard was by most accounts better.

Also, I love playing GS -- Nick Hart has put together an elite football program.  But I wouldn't want to be standing in their way right now....I have to admit.  I know that Allen gets all the attention and headlines, deservedly so.  But their defense has been spectacular too.

If anybody in 3A is able to beat them, my hat's off to them.  I think this is their year.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Spitting Llamas said:

Yeah, I don't think Memorial is scared of anyone at this point. When you get success factored up and continue to win at a high level you aren't trying to avoid anyone. To be honest, I'm sure they would prefer to be in 3A and not have East Central and potentially Roncalli ahead of them. 

Yeah, not "scared" so much.  I mean, I would hope that HS football players on high quality teams wouldn't fear any opponent.  But, let's face it, sometimes teams are performing at a very high level.

I would've said that about our 2018 team -- which was still in 3A and lost to WL in the finals.  Bully for them for beating us.  But I still believe that, had we had our starting CB, that game would've turned out differently.  They knew he was out and successfully went deep against his replacement twice in the opening minutes of the game.  Talk about a punch in the mouth.

Even then, we still came back and had a chance to win the game.

I love the way the Tigers are playing right now -- especially on defense.  And I definitely think we could give GS a challenge.  But they're a buzzsaw right now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, MHSTigerFan said:

I'm (obviously) a Memorial homer.  But I think it's very likely that being in 4A in 2019 got us a state championship we wouldn't have gotten in 3A.  Heritage Hills had a solid team that year and their state finals game against Chatard was a complete mismatch.  I don't see how we could've beaten that Chatard team...despite the fact we'd beaten them the year prior.  IMO, we weren't as good as we were in 2018...and Chatard was by most accounts better.

Also, I love playing GS -- Nick Hart has put together an elite football program.  But I wouldn't want to be standing in their way right now....I have to admit.  I know that Allen gets all the attention and headlines, deservedly so.  But their defense has been spectacular too.

If anybody in 3A is able to beat them, my hat's off to them.  I think this is their year.

 

I’d argue that 2018 Chatard was “individually” better than 2019 Chatard BUT 2019 Chatard was a much better “team” (as was 2020)…..if that makes sense.

I think this year is GS’s year…and I couldn’t be happier for them.  They are long overdue for their shot at the Blue.  IB.

13 minutes ago, MHSTigerFan said:

Yeah, not "scared" so much.  I mean, I would hope that HS football players on high quality teams wouldn't fear any opponent.  But, let's face it, sometimes teams are performing at a very high level.

I would've said that about our 2018 team -- which was still in 3A and lost to WL in the finals.  Bully for them for beating us.  But I still believe that, had we had our starting CB, that game would've turned out differently.  They knew he was out and successfully went deep against his replacement twice in the opening minutes of the game.  Talk about a punch in the mouth.

Even then, we still came back and had a chance to win the game.

I love the way the Tigers are playing right now -- especially on defense.  And I definitely think we could give GS a challenge.  But they're a buzzsaw right now.

That loss against WL was, regardless of outcome, one of the all time classics and both teams should be proud to have been part of it.  Epic game.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Lysander said:

I’d argue that 2018 Chatard was “individually” better than 2019 Chatard BUT 2019 Chatard was a much better “team” (as was 2020)…..if that makes sense.

 

Makes perfect sense.

Football is the ultimate team sport.  And great teams are usually greater than the sum of their parts.  Talent is never unimportant.  But talent without the right chemistry, culture, and leadership will usually underperform.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ragdoll said:

Martinsville game not a barometer for EC analysis. Artesians brought the jv to play, literally. 

Have a lot of Juniors and Seniors playing defense for the jv? The sophmore running back had 48 carriers for 295yds the previous 2 weeks as well.

Edited by Trojan12
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Trojan12 said:

Have a lot of Juniors and Seniors playing defense for the jv? The sophmore running back had 48 carriers for 295yds the previous 2 weeks as well.

Facts, facts, facts.   There you go again, letting facts get in the way of a good story.  🤣🤣🤣🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/7/2021 at 11:02 AM, Screagle said:

Memorial will have to play a perfect game to have a chance. That still might not be enough. 

mhs just needs to do what they do.  no more.  if that happens, they get the "w". 

 

if they try to do too much, they will likely lose.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, tango said:

I'm not buying Harrell's prediction of Memorial (-1). EC is a school of 1,225 with a football tradition unlike anything we see in the SIAC. Laying at home will help, but I'm not sure it's enough. We'll need some magic.

anyone who grew up in a reitz family or attended a game at the bowl would disagree.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Lysander said:

I’d argue that 2018 Chatard was “individually” better than 2019 Chatard BUT 2019 Chatard was a much better “team” (as was 2020)…..if that makes sense.

I think this year is GS’s year…and I couldn’t be happier for them.  They are long overdue for their shot at the Blue.  IB.

That loss against WL was, regardless of outcome, one of the all time classics and both teams should be proud to have been part of it.  Epic game.

Don't disagree with the premise that team > individuals, but 2018 was the last time the Trojans beat the Irish, so that says something about the 2018 team (not knowing much about Cathedral that year). 

17 minutes ago, Thornton Melon said:

anyone who grew up in a reitz family or attended a game at the bowl would disagree.

Reitz has a great history, but their results and post season success in recent years pales in comparison to EC.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Memorial’s season Overall

Offense: 

Passing yards: 141 YPG CP% 0.64

Rushing Yards: 177 YPG 6.1 YPC 

Total: 318 YPG/34.3 PPG

Defense: 

Passing (allowed): 90 YPG 

Rushing (allowed): 73 YPG

Total: 163 YPG/ 11.0 PPG

Sectional Championship Recap: 

Memorial dominated NV, 24-7, the entire night during the game, as NV couldn’t do anything offensively. Memorial’s Varsity Defense did not allow an score from NV until the 2nd string unit came onto the field. Memorial’s Offense ran all over NV’s Defense, totaling about 265 rushing yards and passed decently, when needed. Memorial’s O did also keep around 10-14 points off the board too. However, NV had some nice looks overall and had a nice goal stand towards the end of the game, although there was an controversial call from it. They even were impressive when they would be backed up inside their own 10 and some how managed to avoid multiple safeties. Player of the game goes to RB Ray Brodie, we accumulated 240 rushing yards and 2 TDs. Overall, it was a solid performance by the Tigers, as now they look towards their first ever matchup with 4A power East Central, who is no stranger when it comes to the SIAC.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, fenderbender said:

Interesting comment.  I would have compared their tradition and success in the playoff era to Reitz. (State titles, Mr Football and general success)

That comparison really isn’t valid after the last 5 years or so based on what Reitz has done.  
 

I agree Memorial has their hands full. 

Obviously I was not including MD as they are not a tournament opponent but their post-season success under Coach Goebel is incredible. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, tango said:

Don't disagree with the premise that team > individuals, but 2018 was the last time the Trojans beat the Irish, so that says something about the 2018 team (not knowing much about Cathedral that year). 

Tango - no disrespect intended.  You guys absolutely kicked the @ss of an AWFULLY good team.  In no way shape or form I can’t and won’t diminish that “whoopin” (stated as a Franklin County person with a certain crimson neck).

Jeez, whatever folks might want to say about Chatard, they’ve never went up to the next class (4A) and won the Blue ring….only Evansville Memorial has pulled that off as regards 3A moving to 4A….and it’s a damn small  number of teams they have joined in doing so in any class (Cathedral, Columbus East and New Palestine).

I think we also need to recognize that Memorial is just barely a 3A team to start with as regards enrollment.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, tango said:

Obviously I was not including MD as they are not a tournament opponent but their post-season success under Coach Goebel is incredible. 

I agree.   I played when he was an assistant on our Regional championship team.

Comparing EC and MD, EC is 2-2 in state finals.  MD is 1-4.

I think that you could make an arguement that south of Center Grove, EC is in a group of about 5 schools that could claim to be the top program of the playoff era.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, fenderbender said:

I agree.   I played when he was an assistant on our Regional championship team.

Comparing EC and MD, EC is 2-2 in state finals.  MD is 1-4.

I think that you could make an arguement that south of Center Grove, EC is in a group of about 5 schools that could claim to be the top program of the playoff era.

I forgot Columbus East had 3 titles.  I knew they had two Mr. Footballs.  We will see if that success continues after the departure of their coach.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/7/2021 at 8:36 PM, TigerFan20 said:

To any Trojans making the drive to Evansville, here is some places to eat before the game nearby, either the night before or tailgating:

Kipplees on N Boeke RD

Turoni’s on N Weinbach Ave 

Pizza by the Slice on Lincoln Ave 

Steve’s Una Pizza on Washington Ave 

There’s also a Little Ceaser’s on Washington too, for the tailgaters 

Some options on Green River Road (intersects Washington): 

Hoosier Burger 

G D Ritzy’s 

Azzip Pizza 

Rafferty’s 

Cheddars 

Pangea off of Green River

On Burkhardt, one of my favorites for wings is Mister B’s and Drakes has great food too. And other options too 

 

Turoni's, great pizza and beer!  Love that place.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...