Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Running clock in the playoffs

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

I’m not sure of the logic here. If anything, the Mercy Rule use should be more limited, not less, during the playoffs. The IHSAA apparently feels the same way, since the Mercy Rule is not applied at the finals.

Fox Sports gives a LOT OF $$$$ to televise the Finals.   Just saying...   You know what I mean.  

Gotta get in those commercials!   

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Trojanmp52 said:

Once we get in to the playoffs.  Should the running clock start once a team is up 35 even if it is still the first half

I don’t think it should.  2nd half only for playoffs….for half of the players every week, it’s final game they have of the year….or maybe ever if they are seniors

I personally think the mercy rule has been a great addition….but we don’t need to be running clock in the 1st half of a game….especially in playoffs. 

I'll give credit to the crew we had last night at Northview. At one point when it was becoming clear Memorial was controlling the game and frustrating the Knights, things began to get chippy. Quick offsetting unsportsmanlike-like conduct penalties pulled things back into check for the most part.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Trojanmp52 said:

Once we get in to the playoffs.  Should the running clock start once a team is up 35 even if it is still the first half

Yes. 100 percent for it. BD and Tech was 42-0 after the first quarter. Giants were subbing out in the second quarter up 49-0. 

7 minutes ago, statmurp_10 said:

It's not FOX Sports, the network; it is the Indy. affiliate, FOX-59 WXIN

Sorry, FOX SPORTS is the NATIONAL contract that the IHSAA has signed with.  The local affiliate may "broadcast" the game(s), but the IHSAA Finals are brought to you, broadcast by, and produced by FOX SPORTS.  

Edit:  It is now Bally Sports.  Fox sold the contract last year.

It is that way in numerous sports.  

Edited by Yuccaguy

On 11/6/2021 at 10:19 AM, BDGiant93 said:

Yes. 100 percent for it. BD and Tech was 42-0 after the first quarter. Giants were subbing out in the second quarter up 49-0. 

I think this is the reason that it should stay 2nd half only.  During the regular season, coaches might be reluctant to sub prior to the 3rd quarter to keep a JV team intact.  During the postseason, there's no reason Junior Johnny and Sam Sophomore (who will be studs next year, just watch) can't get some meaningful snaps in the first half.   

This is especially true with a developing QB or RB. Let them work a series or two with the starting OL to see what they can do.

16 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

I think this is the reason that it should stay 2nd half only.  During the regular season, coaches might be reluctant to sub prior to the 3rd quarter to keep a JV team intact.  During the postseason, there's no reason Junior Johnny and Sam Sophomore (who will be studs next year, just watch) can't get some meaningful snaps in the first half.   

This is especially true with a developing QB or RB. Let them work a series or two with the starting OL to see what they can do.

Fair enough. Good points.

18 hours ago, Yuccaguy said:

Sorry, FOX SPORTS is the NATIONAL contract that the IHSAA has signed with.  The local affiliate may "broadcast" the game(s), but the IHSAA Finals are brought to you, broadcast by, and produced by FOX SPORTS.  

Edit:  It is now Bally Sports.  Fox sold the contract last year.

It is that way in numerous sports.  

There is no national contract. It's a local contract with what is now Bally Sports Indiana. There is no connection to Fox Sports - and WXIN does not televise the games in Indianapolis. If you don't have FSI (and many of us cord-cutters don't thanks to Sinclair Broadcasting's running feud with the streaming services), you're out of luck. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, crimsonace1 said:

There is no national contract. It's a local contract with what is now Bally Sports Indiana. There is no connection to Fox Sports - and WXIN does not televise the games in Indianapolis. If you don't have FSI (and many of us cord-cutters don't thanks to Sinclair Broadcasting's running feud with the streaming services), you're out of luck. 

Are the State Finals not streamed on the IHSAA Champions Network?

I don't like it for regular season games so I for sure don't want it late in the playoffs as well.  I'd just as soon do it like baseball and the ten-run rule.  If the game is out of hand, just end it rather than institute a running clock.  When a team scores to go up 42 or more, end the game the next time they gain possession.  

4 hours ago, CoachDurham said:

Are the State Finals not streamed on the IHSAA Champions Network?

i never looked...never had to since its on tv !

4 hours ago, XStar said:

I don't like it for regular season games so I for sure don't want it late in the playoffs as well.  I'd just as soon do it like baseball and the ten-run rule.  If the game is out of hand, just end it rather than institute a running clock.  When a team scores to go up 42 or more, end the game the next time they gain possession.  

yeah but players may want to get their quarters....

34 minutes ago, dazed and confused said:

i never looked...never had to since its on tv !

yeah but players may want to get their quarters....

Players may want to play full quarters too but if the decision has been made that the game should be altered due to a lack of competitiveness then we've already determined that this is more important than what they want.