Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

🗞️ 📜🖋️ Official Thread for Journalists, Media, Photographers, Historians, and Archivists

This will be a pinned topic for journalists, members of the media, SIDs, photographers, historians, archivists, etc. to link up. This is not for streams or other the like to be advertised. The Gridiron Digest community is welcome to add constructive feedback -- discussions on paywalls,  local sports journalism (or its evolving nature with SIDs and private photogs/bloggers), and so on. But it will not be a space to blast things like paywalls, reduced or biased coverage, etc. without providing alternate solutions.

That being said...

- @crimsonace1 - Journalist, teacher, and radioman extraordinaire  

- @Rudy AlmanacSports.com 'nuff said

- @Miner_Pride A true asset to southcentral Indiana HS sports (what's your official online archive?)

- @DaveMosbey Model example of how to incrementally archive a school's sports programs (don't let the HTML fool you!)

- @Bcaster My perhaps biased favorite play-by-play voice of sports in talent-rich southwestern Indiana

- Where is TW lurking? Every time I look he's getting a new promotion. Not sure how involved he is with the CircleCityConference.com, but it's the best conference website I've seen.

This list is not exhaustive, so who is missing? It would be great to add to it through the winter and be able to network (understanding that most of you also cover winter and spring sports) -- don't worry @DK_Barons, this isn't a ploy to revive gridirondigest.info/wiki ... I might work on my predictor tool to attempt to rank programs since 2000 differently than CalPreps or the Texas forum...

• Like 2

On 11/6/2021 at 8:07 AM, hhpatriot04 said:

This will be a pinned topic for journalists, members of the media, SIDs, photographers, historians, archivists, etc. to link up. This is not for streams or other the like to be advertised. The Gridiron Digest community is welcome to add constructive feedback -- discussions on paywalls,  local sports journalism (or its evolving nature with SIDs and private photogs/bloggers), and so on. But it will not be a space to blast things like paywalls, reduced or biased coverage, etc. without providing alternate solutions.

That being said...

- @crimsonace1 - Journalist, teacher, and radioman extraordinaire  

- @Rudy AlmanacSports.com 'nuff said

- @Miner_Pride A true asset to southcentral Indiana HS sports (what's your official online archive?)

- @DaveMosbey Model example of how to incrementally archive a school's sports programs (don't let the HTML fool you!)

- @Bcaster My perhaps biased favorite play-by-play voice of sports in talent-rich southwestern Indiana

How I wish I still had my online site.  That was back when I was considered SID of the old Southwest 7 Conference of small 1A schools...My entire stipend was the cost of paying for the internet host.  Once LInton left, then North Daviess left... that position disappeared and while I tried for a while to keep up the info on both SW7 and the-then Sectional 40 teams in 1A... it was too much on that level.  So I went down to just Linton.  I do however keep up with a lot of 1A and 2A information... I've dropped the ball a little the last couple years... but I do have a huge amount of things on spreadsheets and databases.  My goal was to have a Linton Football website for history sake.. like Heritage Hills etc... and I thought I might have Linton school on board to host.. but that's been a few years back.  

On 11/10/2021 at 7:10 AM, Miner_Pride said:

How I wish I still had my online site.  That was back when I was considered SID of the old Southwest 7 Conference of small 1A schools...My entire stipend was the cost of paying for the internet host.  Once LInton left, then North Daviess left... that position disappeared and while I tried for a while to keep up the info on both SW7 and the-then Sectional 40 teams in 1A... it was too much on that level.  So I went down to just Linton.  I do however keep up with a lot of 1A and 2A information... I've dropped the ball a little the last couple years... but I do have a huge amount of things on spreadsheets and databases.  My goal was to have a Linton Football website for history sake.. like Heritage Hills etc... and I thought I might have Linton school on board to host.. but that's been a few years back.  

Did you save copies of the summaries on a computer or USB drive? What was the actual URL of the SW7 Conference site where you posted you writeups? I might be able to recover some or all of it.

A good free solution if most of your content is text and photos is to make a Facebook Page. It at least provides you with an easy way to archive all of that info. Additionally, you can populate the Linton-Stockton Football page on Wikipedia. There is a bit of a learning curve, but once info is saved there, it is never going to disappear. It is open source, so anyone is able to edit it, but they must do it within the Wiki Standards (basically make sure everything has citations). Regardless, even if someone edits something that you have posted, you can contest their changes and Wikipedia saves all of the previously saved edits, so you can always revert back to a previous version.

I'm not sure how technically inclined you are, but WordPress is also an option if you want full control.

Hi all,

Great topic. I love John Harrell's website of course but it only goes back to 1994. My ultimate goal for AlmanacSports.com is to document every game ever played by an Indiana high school football game (the earliest schools played in the 1890s).

I love newspapers.com but it is a paid subscription. Lots of good stuff on there though so worth it to me.

The Evansville-Vanderburgh Public Library has lots of Evansville newspapers archived in their microfilm collection, but I think you have to be a member to access.

A great freebie is classmates.com/yearbooks. They have an amazing collection of old yearbooks and I check that regularly for my research.

Also, does anyone know if Huntington North shares the same athletic lineage as Huntington High School? My research shows Huntington North opened the new high school in 1969 but they share the same nickname and school colors with Huntington. Are they the same or was it the start of a new school?

Thanks,
Dan

Edited by Rudy
  • Like 1

On 11/9/2021 at 11:10 PM, Miner_Pride said:

Dont remember North Davies leaving...they are still in southwest conference?  Maybe they did for a minute...

• Like 1

I have bee dubbed the "unofficial" historian for Montgomery County Sports. Have been covering Montgomery County sports as a player, sports editor or broadcaster for the better part of 30-35 years. While not do a lot actively right now, I still try to keep residents in the area up-to-date with current and past scores, records, occasional features, etc. on a facebook page call Montgomery County Sports & More. My daughter and I have compiled a comprehensive list of every football and boys' basketball game ever played for Crawfordsville, North Montgomery and Southmont high schools. This includes date, score and we can give overall series info on all as well. Our goal in the next few years is to do the same for girls basketball. Feel free to contact me if anyone needs this info.

On 11/12/2021 at 9:34 AM, Rudy said:

Hi all,

Great topic. I love John Harrell's website of course but it only goes back to 1994. My ultimate goal for AlmanacSports.com is to document every game ever played by an Indiana high school football game (the earliest schools played in the 1890s).

I love newspapers.com but it is a paid subscription. Lots of good stuff on there though so worth it to me.

The Evansville-Vanderburgh Public Library has lots of Evansville newspapers archived in their microfilm collection, but I think you have to be a member to access.

A great freebie is classmates.com/yearbooks. They have an amazing collection of old yearbooks and I check that regularly for my research.

Also, does anyone know if Huntington North shares the same athletic lineage as Huntington High School? My research shows Huntington North opened the new high school in 1969 but they share the same nickname and school colors with Huntington. Are they the same or was it the start of a new school?

Thanks,
Dan

Huntington North is a separate school - it was a consolidation of Huntington High & a number of county schools. It kept the color & mascot and so some may consider it as continuing the athletic history (a la Bloomington / South & Columbus / North), but it is a consolidated school with a different name. 

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, crimsonace1 said:

Huntington North is a separate school - it was a consolidation of Huntington High & a number of county schools. It kept the color & mascot and so some may consider it as continuing the athletic history (a la Bloomington / South & Columbus / North), but it is a consolidated school with a different name. 

The plan too was to have a Huntington South, but the community never really grew like folks thought it would, so there was never a need for it. Glad to see they are getting a new stadium on campus.

On 11/15/2021 at 7:07 AM, NorthKnox94 said:

Dont remember North Davies leaving...they are still in southwest conference?  Maybe they did for a minute...

Yeah it was sorta bang bang.  Linton wanted out of having to play UNion (Dugger)...and to be honest, a couple others.. Wood Memorial etc... in order to be in the SW7...  so we left.  Then Scotty Helms basically followed suit with ND...  not sure how long it all happened.. because there was discussion about Tecumseh at the time joining SW7 but staying in PAC for all else.. any way... we all know how it panned out.  Union soon was done (and now I see coming back into IHSAA) Wood Memorial isn't doing football.Tecumseh is where they are.  I liked being in a conference, but I know nothing really helped winning 75-0 year in and out.  out of the remaining SW conf teams we actually play them all other than NC... and it would seem there mighta been some good games with them back in 2017 and 2018.

• Thanks 1

On 11/11/2021 at 1:27 AM, hhpatriot04 said:

Did you save copies of the summaries on a computer or USB drive? What was the actual URL of the SW7 Conference site where you posted you writeups? I might be able to recover some or all of it.

A good free solution if most of your content is text and photos is to make a Facebook Page. It at least provides you with an easy way to archive all of that info. Additionally, you can populate the Linton-Stockton Football page on Wikipedia. There is a bit of a learning curve, but once info is saved there, it is never going to disappear. It is open source, so anyone is able to edit it, but they must do it within the Wiki Standards (basically make sure everything has citations). Regardless, even if someone edits something that you have posted, you can contest their changes and Wikipedia saves all of the previously saved edits, so you can always revert back to a previous version.

I'm not sure how technically inclined you are, but WordPress is also an option if you want full control.

HOw I would love to sit and talk all you listed about all this.  I used a program to do all the Southwest 7 page stuff... I wouldn't say it was major LOL.  I think is was Frontpage... and I learned by making mistakes over and over.  I knew there had to be easier ways to do it... and I was trying to learn as I went.  I just couldn't and still can't afford the hosting costs.  And it's been so long since and things have changed so much.  I have thought of Wiki stuff...Not sure how I would make it look like I see it in my mind using Facebook.  I know there are a lot of things that can be done.   I my mind I just see a page where you have options... a lot like Rudy's page...but naturally just Linton LOL.   click on a year-- and there is the season; click on a game-- see stats, scoring etc..---  have season by season stats... career numbers...  all time roster...   you know.. the normal stuff.   Opponents...  history .. players...     And I have so much of this already... well from mid 90's...  but already have done so much research online finding newspaper articles in 50's and 60's etc...  I want a place online to have this all in one place.    I know it's time consuming, because it already eats up so much of my spare time as it is!  I don't care about all the work because I see the end result in my mind and know it's worth it.  

• Like 2

Just now, Miner_Pride said:

HOw I would love to sit and talk all you listed about all this.  I used a program to do all the Southwest 7 page stuff... I wouldn't say it was major LOL.  I think is was Frontpage... and I learned by making mistakes over and over.  I knew there had to be easier ways to do it... and I was trying to learn as I went.  I just couldn't and still can't afford the hosting costs.  And it's been so long since and things have changed so much.  I have thought of Wiki stuff...Not sure how I would make it look like I see it in my mind using Facebook.  I know there are a lot of things that can be done.   I my mind I just see a page where you have options... a lot like Rudy's page...but naturally just Linton LOL.   click on a year-- and there is the season; click on a game-- see stats, scoring etc..---  have season by season stats... career numbers...  all time roster...   you know.. the normal stuff.   Opponents...  history .. players...     And I have so much of this already... well from mid 90's...  but already have done so much research online finding newspaper articles in 50's and 60's etc...  I want a place online to have this all in one place.    I know it's time consuming, because it already eats up so much of my spare time as it is!  I don't care about all the work because I see the end result in my mind and know it's worth it.  

ACtually I still have most of the files if not all from my SW7 days.   Seems like it was www.SW7.org or net.... maybe...   I tried to color coordinate too much LOL... I wanted to use everyone's school colors... logos....  and I wasn't good at sizing LOL.. like I said... learning as I go!! 

• Like 1

On 11/19/2021 at 3:51 PM, Miner_Pride said:

ACtually I still have most of the files if not all from my SW7 days.   Seems like it was www.SW7.org or net.... maybe...   I tried to color coordinate too much LOL... I wanted to use everyone's school colors... logos....  and I wasn't good at sizing LOL.. like I said... learning as I go!! 

Yes you did and I recall it and loved it! We shall chat soon.

On 11/19/2021 at 11:51 PM, Miner_Pride said:

Well it's great that you still have it. I remember Frontpage. As for free archiving, I think a Facebook Page is probably best if you want complete control, as your content could be edited on Wikipedia.org. If someone from the Linton community can provide you with space via WordPress or a similar website management system, that might be your best bet. A private Wiki run by The Gridiron Digest was another possible option, but it became difficult to manage due to updates and hardware changes. I believe that I have all that info saved... just a matter of finding the time and bending DK's arm to install the most recent software, then try to see what can be salvaged.