Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

2A Regional #18 - Eastside hosting Eastbrook

1 hour ago, XStar said:

Out of everyone, Eastside was the team I was most confident could hang with Luers (assuming they returned most of their key players from last season).  They had beaten them 2 years ago and hung with them for 4 quarters last year.  It could be just me, but I thought the regional game would've been easier for Luers, particularly if it had been Eastbrook.  Eastbrook has shown time and again over the years they are terrible defending the pass and Adamson has shown an unwillingness to change his approach.  I think Luers would've passed up and down the field on Eastbrook all game long.  Fortunately for Eastbrook, I think they have a much better chance against Eastside who plays a style easy for Eastbrook to defend.  In fact, I think Eastbrook is a big favorite in that matchup because Eastside won't be able to maintain the level of play they showed last week.  

Eastbrook plays in a run heavy conference.  Mississinewa and Oak Hill are usually the two teams with an equal balance of run and pass.  This year these two were heavy run offenses.  Over the years, Eastbrook has had a history of not being able to defend the pass, however they have improved.  I think that since they in a run heavy conference they focus more on defending the run.  Just like their offense has been very little passing for years, and since 2016 they have thrown the ball more.  Adamson adjusts his offense based on what the capability of his QB is.  His defense is much of the same way.  If they have a passing QB, then they defend the pass well.  If they have an option QB then they don't defend the pass as well.  

Is there a Laville/Andrean thread started? Obviously we still have the Regional games, but it feels like the winner of this Eastside/Eastbrook game is going to be the favorite to represent the North at Lucas Oil and no one is really talking about the other North regional game. I know Andrean has that stud outside backer/running back going to Notre Dame. Last time a team had a guy like that going to Notre Dame they won 4 2A titles in a row. I was just wondering if people aren't giving either team a chance to go to state or they just feel like Andrean is going to roll over Laville and its irrelevant to talk about.

23 hours ago, XStar said:

Out of everyone, Eastside was the team I was most confident could hang with Luers (assuming they returned most of their key players from last season).  They had beaten them 2 years ago and hung with them for 4 quarters last year.  It could be just me, but I thought the regional game would've been easier for Luers, particularly if it had been Eastbrook.  Eastbrook has shown time and again over the years they are terrible defending the pass and Adamson has shown an unwillingness to change his approach.  I think Luers would've passed up and down the field on Eastbrook all game long.  Fortunately for Eastbrook, I think they have a much better chance against Eastside who plays a style easy for Eastbrook to defend.  In fact, I think Eastbrook is a big favorite in that matchup because Eastside won't be able to maintain the level of play they showed last week.  

Eastside’s QB has 1500 passing and 20 TD to go along with his 1800 rushing and 27 TDs to go with it. I am going to say Eastside will be able to pass the ball. Eastbrook won’t take both threats away.

16 hours ago, Devilpride95 said:

Eastside’s QB has 1500 passing and 20 TD to go along with his 1800 rushing and 27 TDs to go with it. I am going to say Eastside will be able to pass the ball. Eastbrook won’t take both threats away.

Never said they wouldn't.  It's still completely different than trying to defend Luers though.  

14 minutes ago, XStar said:

Never said they wouldn't.  It's still completely different than trying to defend Luers though.  

Right, and there is no doubt Luers and Eastbrook have two very different approaches. I would like hear from someone who has seen the QB from Eastside play this year. Based on his stats he sounds like “the real deal.”

17 minutes ago, Devilpride95 said:

Right, and there is no doubt Luers and Eastbrook have two very different approaches. I would like hear from someone who has seen the QB from Eastside play this year. Based on his stats he sounds like “the real deal.”

I watched the game against Luers last week. Eastside QB was constantly making plays on 4th down and finished with nearly 200 rushing yards.

This is a very evenly matched game. Eastside has only thrown for about 300 more yards than Eastbrook this year and both teams have dominantly run the ball all year. I think the biggest difference is Eastbrook's ability to spread the ball around. Both teams have rushed for a little over 3,000 yards this season. Eastside's QB has about 2,000 of those 3,000 whereas Eastbrook's leading rusher only has about 1,000 yards. Eastside will need someone else to step up this week aside from the Davis kid if they want to win this one. Will be a physical dog fight, but due to Eastbrook's huge advantage in playoff experience I have them winning 35-28. Could see the game going either way though.

1 hour ago, jets said:

Have these 2 ever played before?? If not, is that advantage Eastbrook with their break-neck style pace?? I have to assume that is quite the adjustment the first time you play it?? 

They played back in 2019.  Eastbrook won 42 - 9 at Eastbrook.  I don’t think that score will happen this year.

12 hours ago, jets said:

Have these 2 ever played before?? If not, is that advantage Eastbrook with their break-neck style pace?? I have to assume that is quite the adjustment the first time you play it?? 

Yes.  Eastbrook humiliated them in 2019.  

13 hours ago, jets said:

Their pace is like Paul Westhead’s system at LMU and the other places he coached basketball. It goes something like this, they are going to run their offense as fast as they can run it and during the course of the game they’re going to run about 30 more plays than you. They think by running fast and running more plays they are going to out score you based on percentages. They have a great system, maybe one of the most unique approaches in the state. Yes it is difficult to play it, but you can match it with physical play and passing deep down the sidelines and influencing their defensive alignment to your advantage.

3 hours ago, Devilpride95 said:

Their pace is like Paul Westhead’s system at LMU and the other places he coached basketball. It goes something like this, they are going to run their offense as fast as they can run it and during the course of the game they’re going to run about 30 more plays than you. They think by running fast and running more plays they are going to out score you based on percentages. They have a great system, maybe one of the most unique approaches in the state. Yes it is difficult to play it, but you can match it with physical play and passing deep down the sidelines and influencing their defensive alignment to your advantage.

Well, that sounds easy enough!

6 hours ago, Devilpride95 said:

So it's going to help them in games where their offense is more efficient (every single regular season game against bad competition) but just the same it will hurt them when the play a better team.  All it does is lengthen the game so the benefit really goes to whoever is more efficient that game.  Most of the time that's going to be them but after regionals it could just as easily be their opponent

2 hours ago, XStar said:

So it's going to help them in games where their offense is more efficient (every single regular season game against bad competition) but just the same it will hurt them when the play a better team.  All it does is lengthen the game so the benefit really goes to whoever is more efficient that game.  Most of the time that's going to be them but after regionals it could just as easily be their opponent

Very much so.

What a great game! Eastside played very well. Their QB was tough to stop tonight. We had a great chance to possibly score, with the ball on their side of the 50yl, and go up 14-13. A couple of missed opportunities killed the drive. Their defense played well tonight. Great season Panthers! Good luck Eastside at Semi-State!

• Like 1

On 11/6/2021 at 1:03 PM, XStar said:

The performance of Eastside last night was as impressed as I've been with a 2A team in the tournament since 1998.  They dominated that game until the last few minutes when Luers were in desperation mode and got a little bit going.

I picked Eastside as my 2A sleeper (see link below) and last night showed why.  

https://gridirondigest.net/topic/4896-tournament-upsetsdarkhorses/?tab=comments#elControls_116970_menu

That said, I think that game was their Super Bowl.  They have been targeting that game for the past year.  Now they've won it.  I don't think they can keep that level of focus, intensity, and performance next week.  They'll have people telling them how great they are this upcoming week and it will go to their head and they'll lose that chip on their shoulder.

I think Eastbrook wins by 2 or 3 touchdowns as a result and sets up a rematch of the 2019 semistate game with Andrean.  

It looks like they kept the chip on their shoulder. Congrats to Eastside on the regional championship (I think it’s the program’s first)!

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

He has been fun to watch the last 2 weeks,  Love when you see a very competitive QB who wills their team to win. 

Eastbrook is losing one of those kids too.   

Yes, the last two weeks have been full of good football. Hats off to all the winners and losers. Very well played and coached games.