Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

4A Regional Ole Miss at Northridge

Should be another great game, Harrell has Northridge by 1, but the s19 final reiterated that these games aren't played on paper.

Any insight on Ole Miss, as far as I know these two teams have never played in football. 

For those making the trip from Gas City, you'll want to show up plenty early and visit Das Dutchmen Essenhaus (Indianas Largest Restaurant).

14 hours ago, NRRaider2001 said:

For those making the trip from Gas City, you'll want to show up plenty early and visit Das Dutchmen Essenhaus (Indianas Largest Restaurant).

Been to Essenhaus a few times but unfortunately due to the start time of the game combined with the drive many Mississinewa fans will be arriving just before game time.  It is almost a 2 hour drive for the Mississinewa fans.  Mississinewa will more than likely being missing a player or two due to the brawl that took place to end the Sectional game.  It was an unfortunate incident that both teams have players that were in the wrong.  

Mississinewa has size and speed.  The top 2 running backs average a first down every time they touch the ball.  Some will say "That's because they play mostly 2A schools because of their conference."  But they have had this average or better in the post season.   Mississinewa has the 10 highest scoring team in the State and 3rd highest in 4A.  They have 7th best defense in 4A.  They are 2nd in margin of victory in 4A.  They score a lot and often.  

Northridge has a stronger schedule than Mississinewa which will have them prepared.  Mississinewa has won 3 Sectionals over 5 years so many of the players have been to Regionals before. So the experience goes to Mississinewa.  It will be a good game and will be competitive.  I don't think it will be blow out win by either team.  It is interesting that neither team is ranked in the top 15 of either poll, and is the only 4A game that neither team is ranked.  

5 hours ago, Indiansreloaded said:

Been to Essenhaus a few times but unfortunately due to the start time of the game combined with the drive many Mississinewa fans will be arriving just before game time.  It is almost a 2 hour drive for the Mississinewa fans.  Mississinewa will more than likely being missing a player or two due to the brawl that took place to end the Sectional game.  It was an unfortunate incident that both teams have players that were in the wrong.  

Mississinewa has size and speed.  The top 2 running backs average a first down every time they touch the ball.  Some will say "That's because they play mostly 2A schools because of their conference."  But they have had this average or better in the post season.   Mississinewa has the 10 highest scoring team in the State and 3rd highest in 4A.  They have 7th best defense in 4A.  They are 2nd in margin of victory in 4A.  They score a lot and often.  

Northridge has a stronger schedule than Mississinewa which will have them prepared.  Mississinewa has won 3 Sectionals over 5 years so many of the players have been to Regionals before. So the experience goes to Mississinewa.  It will be a good game and will be competitive.  I don't think it will be blow out win by either team.  It is interesting that neither team is ranked in the top 15 of either poll, and is the only 4A game that neither team is ranked.  

Appreciate the insight, my ex mother in law is buried at Marion National Cemetery and we went through Gas City/ ate at Cracker Barrel usually when we came from 69 to visit.  Usually Sirloin Stockade if we came down through Marion.

You're right on the long drive, and 5-7pm on a Friday night at Essenhaus is likely to be a long wait time. If anyone gets out of work and heads up early it's still a cool place to check out for those that haven't been, even if you just walk through the shops and bakery. 

Northridge runs the ball decently and can pass as well, but we lost a lot of the passing production after our starting qb was injured for the season.   One of our top rbs/a top sprinter in the state is also out for the season along with a few other key guys. 

That being said, we struggled at the end of the regular season to figure things out with all the guys dropping like flies, but seem to have figured things out now with moving a guy from rb to qb now, he has given us a more mobile qb that seems to find a way to win. 

1 hour ago, NRRaider2001 said:

Appreciate the insight, my ex mother in law is buried at Marion National Cemetery and we went through Gas City/ ate at Cracker Barrel usually when we came from 69 to visit.  Usually Sirloin Stockade if we came down through Marion.

Sirloin Stockade is closed but there is a Texas Roadhouse in Marion now along with Popeye's and McCalisters.  Then there is Ivanhoe's in Upland, Obi's BBQ in downtown Marion, Pappy's in Gas City (BBQ), and a few Mexican places to enjoy.

Mississinewa lost their starting QB the first game of the season when he tore his ACL.   Mississinewa has 2 track State Finalists sprinters on the team, one is a RB and another a WR.  Mississinewa throws the ball when needed but when 2 RB's average a first down with each touch there isn't much need to throw the ball.  Both RB's average over 100 yards a game.  

41 minutes ago, BACKSIDEBELLY said:

I wonder if there will even be a game.  Mississinewa could be told by the ihsaa that they can’t compete because of last week’s display.

Doubt that the entire team will be suspended.  There will be one player that will be suspended and maybe a coach.  They may be put on probation by the IHSAA.  It all depends on what the officials put on their report as to what led up to the fight.  The officials can not review film, however they can after the game like this notify teams of players that would have been ejected had the came continued.  Now the IHSAA can review film and make further suspensions.  The last thing the IHSAA wants to do is to remove a team from the tournament.  Fort Wayne Wayne was clearly beat by Mississinewa long before the fight broke out.  In fact Mississinewa was driving and in 2-3 more plays more than likely would have scored again.  

1 minute ago, Indiansreloaded said:

Doubt that the entire team will be suspended.  There will be one player that will be suspended and maybe a coach.  They may be put on probation by the IHSAA.  It all depends on what the officials put on their report as to what led up to the fight.  The officials can not review film, however they can after the game like this notify teams of players that would have been ejected had the came continued.  Now the IHSAA can review film and make further suspensions.  The last thing the IHSAA wants to do is to remove a team from the tournament.  Fort Wayne Wayne was clearly beat by Mississinewa long before the fight broke out.  In fact Mississinewa was driving and in 2-3 more plays more than likely would have scored again.  

I wasn’t saying they would or wouldn’t, I just said they might.  This is the kind of incident that the IHSAA could use to make a statement to every other school.

10 minutes ago, BACKSIDEBELLY said:

I wasn’t saying they would or wouldn’t, I just said they might.  This is the kind of incident that the IHSAA could use to make a statement to every other school.

I agree, however in an article in a Fort Wayne news outlet reference was made to another incident in 2010 about Wayne involved in something similar that placed the football program on probation.  I am sure the IHSAA will do something to both schools but again it comes down to the reports and video.  

4 minutes ago, Indiansreloaded said:

I agree, however in an article in a Fort Wayne news outlet reference was made to another incident in 2010 about Wayne involved in something similar that placed the football program on probation.  I am sure the IHSAA will do something to both schools but again it comes down to the reports and video.  

I knew that Wayne had something like this happen in the past.  Things like this are hard to shake, no matter what side you’re on.

7 minutes ago, Indiansreloaded said:

I was there.... TOTALLY different in EVERY WAY.  Had absolutely nothing to do with the visiting team, had more to do with the dynamics of the closing of Elmhurst HS and as to how it pertained to FW Wayne Athletics.  

I am not going to assign blame in this situation, as I truly believe that the powers that be (Game officials in conjunction with the IHSAA) will sort this out and meter out any and all further sanctions. 

But I would suspect that Ole Miss faithful, need to understand that the outcome may ALSO fall upon the actions of players/coaches/administrators at Mississinewa when this all sorted out.  

Edited by Yuccaguy
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Yuccaguy said:

I was there.... TOTALLY different in EVERY WAY.  Had absolutely nothing to do with the visiting team, had more to do with the dynamics of the closing of Elmhurst HS and as to how it pertained to FW Wayne Athletics.  

I am not going to assign blame in this situation, as I truly believe that the powers that be (Game officials in conjunction with the IHSAA) will sort this out and meter out any and all further sanctions. 

But I would suspect that Ole Miss faithful, need to understand that the outcome may ALSO fall upon the actions of players/coaches/administrators at Mississinewa when this all sorted out.  

I agree there will be something done by the higher ups of the IHSAA.  It will come down to the reports that are turned in.  My guess is the IHSAA was on the phone on Saturday with officials, administrations, and possibly coach's trying to sort things out so preparation can take place for the next round with the players that won't be eligible.

3 minutes ago, Indiansreloaded said:

I agree there will be something done by the higher ups of the IHSAA.  It will come down to the reports that are turned in.  My guess is the IHSAA was on the phone on Saturday with officials, administrations, and possibly coach's trying to sort things out so preparation can take place for the next round with the players that won't be eligible.

Absolutely Correct.   Now let's again divert from THAT, and focus on the game at Northridge HS. 

The Raiders are a formidable opponent on a "hot streak", at home, and focused on LOS!  

If we continue to bring up an incident on 11/5/21,  This posting may also be closed.   

Represent your school, oblivious to the actions previous....  And good luck to all involved!!!  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Yuccaguy said:

Absolutely Correct.   Now let's again divert from THAT, and focus on the game at Northridge HS. 

The Raiders are a formidable opponent on a "hot streak", at home, and focused on LOS!  

If we continue to bring up an incident on 11/5/21,  This posting may also be closed.   

Represent your school, oblivious to the actions previous....  And good luck to all involved!!!  

Mississinewa is also on a hot streak as they have won 9 straight.  Northridge has the strength of schedule in their favor.  Mississinewa has several players that have been to regionals where Northridge has none.  I don't think it is going to be a blow out game but a close game.  Then factor in that there is predictions of the white stuff flying this weekend so it could be a cold game.

• Like 1

I'm a little surprised that these two made it this far.  More Northridge than Mississinewa though.  Northridge was very unimpressive during the regular season.  Their only wins were against really bad teams.  However, in sectionals they avenged a loss to Northwood (lost by 34 regular season, won by 21 postseason), won convincingly over a .500 Columbia City team, and edged out a win against undefeated Leo in overtime.  

I don't follow the program closely so I'm not sure what to attribute that level of play to and why it contrasts from their regular season performance so greatly.   Lack of explanation, you have to assume that's the team that's going to show up Friday night.  

Mississinewa played their best opponents in their first 2 games and lost to both.  Then they tore through the weak portion of the schedule like a hot knife through butter.  Wasn't sure how they'd look playing teams their own size again in sectional but they looked good, winning those games soundly.  That said, even the sectional opposition was somewhat weak.

I think this game is close with both teams at full strength.  However, I think we can assume that Mississinewa won't be full strength for this one which means it could be an uphill battle for them depending on who all is missing.  

I expect a reasonably competitive game and maybe give an edge to Nortridge due to their recent play and Mississinewa coming in at less than full strength.  

• Like 1

A little history about Northridge football to those unfamiliar.  

Northridge had never had much success in football, in 2013 Tom Wogomon took over as head coach and the culture changed quickly.  Wogomon was head coach at Wawasee (where Chad Eppley played for him) before coming to Middlebury.

In 2014 Northridge won their first sectional and regional titles before losing to New Prairie at semi state. 

After the 2020 season Wog retired and Northridge promoted then assistant coach Chad Eppley.  Eppley turned 27 last Friday night and won Northridge's 2nd ever sectional title on that night. 

Since Wogomon and Eppley took over, the Raiders have a reputation of playing disciplined, hard hitting football.   This year has been no different, and you can't really point to just one player that has been the difference, it has been a team effort. 

Eppleys first assistant job came after playing for the university of university of Indianapolis.  He was an assistant on Westfield when they won a state championship. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, NRRaider2001 said:

You're right on the long drive, and 5-7pm on a Friday night at Essenhaus is likely to be a long wait time. If anyone gets out of work and heads up early it's still a cool place to check out for those that haven't been, even if you just walk through the shops and bakery. 

Northridge runs the ball decently and can pass as well, but we lost a lot of the passing production after our starting qb was injured for the season.   One of our top rbs/a top sprinter in the state is also out for the season along with a few other key guys. 

That being said, we struggled at the end of the regular season to figure things out with all the guys dropping like flies, but seem to have figured things out now with moving a guy from rb to qb now, he has given us a more mobile qb that seems to find a way to win. 

I watched Mississenewa paly Friday night for the first time this year. They ran the ball incredibly well and the line did a great job. I came away really impressed at how well than ran the ball and blocked.

• Like 1

Very interested in this game. Northridge shut down one of the best running offenses in 4A. If they come out and perform the same way we could see a very similar game. Ole Miss doesn't have a tough conference schedule, while Northridge is pretty battle tested and has definitely played better teams this year. 

If Northridge comes out with the same energy as last week, I'll take Northridge by 7.

17 hours ago, Indiansreloaded said:

Sirloin Stockade is closed but there is a Texas Roadhouse in Marion now along with Popeye's and McCalisters.  Then there is Ivanhoe's in Upland, Obi's BBQ in downtown Marion, Pappy's in Gas City (BBQ), and a few Mexican places to enjoy.

Mississinewa lost their starting QB the first game of the season when he tore his ACL.   Mississinewa has 2 track State Finalists sprinters on the team, one is a RB and another a WR.  Mississinewa throws the ball when needed but when 2 RB's average a first down with each touch there isn't much need to throw the ball.  Both RB's average over 100 yards a game.  

The wife and I, back when we were dating, used to frequent Ivanhoe's a fair amount.  Not too long of a drive from her place (SW wells county).  Great ice cream & burgers.  Took the kids there once in a while, too.

Proud to see the Raiders back on their game considering the injuries this season.  SF won't make the game Friday, but will definitely encourage the out-of-towners to pop into the Essenhaus before the game.  It is literally walking distance to the field and worth it.

• Like 1

Hearing a one-game suspension for #62 and nothing else.  That suspension is an in-house suspension, not from the IHSAA.  And #62 is participating in practice this week on the scout team.  Again, that's just what I'm hearing second-hand.  Possible it might not be accurate.  

1 hour ago, XStar said:

Hearing a one-game suspension for #62 and nothing else.  That suspension is an in-house suspension, not from the IHSAA.  And #62 is participating in practice this week on the scout team.  Again, that's just what I'm hearing second-hand.  Possible it might not be accurate.  

Was #62 disqualified last Friday?