Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Valpo @ Michigan City

Big Duneland rematch for a regional championship. Valpo took the first game 49-28, but as we’ve seen throughout the tournament, the first matchup means next to nothing in the playoffs, and it’s worth noting City was without some key pieces in that game. City has been on a roll lately, winning 6 straight after a tough 3 game skid early in Duneland Conference play. During this win streak, the Wolves have put up at least 39 points in every game. Their performance starting the last drive of the first half last week vs Mishawaka was very impressive. After being down 18-6, they surged to score 30 unanswered points, with the Cavemen having no answer for the Wolves’ skill players. Valpo has been the thorn in City’s side for a long time, and according to Harrell’s website, the Vikings own a 25-3 all time record against the Wolves. City has not defeated Valpo under Coach Mason. Valpo seemed to wear down City up front in the teams’ first matchup this year, so it’ll be interesting to see how the battle in the trenches plays out on Friday. Harrell is taking City to win 31-30. If City plays disciplined, and limits mistakes, I think they’ve got a good chance of winning this game. I’ll take City to finally get the green monkeys off their backs, 35-28. 

28 minutes ago, scarab527 said:

Big Duneland rematch for a regional championship. Valpo took the first game 49-28, but as we’ve seen throughout the tournament, the first matchup means next to nothing in the playoffs, and it’s worth noting City was without some key pieces in that game. City has been on a roll lately, winning 6 straight after a tough 3 game skid early in Duneland Conference play. During this win streak, the Wolves have put up at least 39 points in every game. Their performance starting the last drive of the first half last week vs Mishawaka was very impressive. After being down 18-6, they surged to score 30 unanswered points, with the Cavemen having no answer for the Wolves’ skill players. Valpo has been the thorn in City’s side for a long time, and according to Harrell’s website, the Vikings own a 25-3 all time record against the Wolves. City has not defeated Valpo under Coach Mason. Valpo seemed to wear down City up front in the teams’ first matchup this year, so it’ll be interesting to see how the battle in the trenches plays out on Friday. Harrell is taking City to win 31-30. If City plays disciplined, and limits mistakes, I think they’ve got a good chance of winning this game. I’ll take City to finally get the green monkeys off their backs, 35-28. 

Haven't seen Valpo, but was REALLY impressed with what MC brought to the table last Friday night.  

It's always great to hear from those members/posters outside of our "main area" give insight and props to those programs we only see once the playoffs start.  

Duneland (da Region)/SIAC (SW Indiana) as well as SE Indiana and others are a wonderful insight to the teams that give this special time of year a wonderful time to be a part of!  

• Like 1

Sophomore RB Jaden Hart, Sophomore QB Tyler Bush, Senior WR Giovani Laurent, and Senior RB Raci'on Anderson are impressive to watch for the Wolves. Hart already has some P5 Conference Offers. They got off to a very slow start against Mishawaka with 2 INTS and a kick return for a TD that helps the Cavemen jump out to an 18-6 lead. Then the MC offense just exploded. Is Mason the offensive play caller? Man, if so, he's an impressive play caller.  Guy has 9 Sectional TItles, 5 Regional (maybe 6), 2 Semi-State, and 1 State Title since 2008. At some point (if he hasn't already) I'm assuming he'll at least flirt with an HCC or MIC job.

9 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Sophomore RB Jaden Hart, Sophomore QB Tyler Bush, Senior WR Giovani Laurent, and Senior RB Raci'on Anderson are impressive to watch for the Wolves. Hart already has some P5 Conference Offers. They got off to a very slow start against Mishawaka with 2 INTS and a kick return for a TD that helps the Cavemen jump out to an 18-6 lead. Then the MC offense just exploded. Is Mason the offensive play caller? Man, if so, he's an impressive play caller.  Guy has 9 Sectional TItles, 5 Regional (maybe 6), 2 Semi-State, and 1 State Title since 2008. At some point (if he hasn't already) I'm assuming he'll at least flirt with an HCC or MIC job.

Yes, Mason does call the plays. Did so at Andrean too, at least when I was there. Add in WRs Trey Simmons and Omarion Hatch to that mix. The collection of skill players City has is very impressive. Mason has said it’s probably his best ever. 

I am excited to see this game as well. Outside of Justin Marshall from Merrillville, I don't think there is a more dynamic or explosive player with the ball than Hatch. Simmons is just as fast and dangerous on the outside. I imagine Valpo will try to do the same thing they did in the last game, and that is exploit the Wolves man to man defense all over the field. Valpo also wore down the Wolves rush defense in the last quarter. Mason has beat ever team in the conference multiple times, has a winning record against every team, but Valpo has had the Wolves number, turning them back at every turn. With Hatch in the lineup, the Wolves have four of the best athletes in the conference that on any play can take it to the house. Eliminate the penalties and turnovers and the score should be easily reversed from September. 

4 hours ago, DACNUT said:

I am excited to see this game as well. Outside of Justin Marshall from Merrillville, I don't think there is a more dynamic or explosive player with the ball than Hatch. Simmons is just as fast and dangerous on the outside. I imagine Valpo will try to do the same thing they did in the last game, and that is exploit the Wolves man to man defense all over the field. Valpo also wore down the Wolves rush defense in the last quarter. Mason has beat ever team in the conference multiple times, has a winning record against every team, but Valpo has had the Wolves number, turning them back at every turn. With Hatch in the lineup, the Wolves have four of the best athletes in the conference that on any play can take it to the house. Eliminate the penalties and turnovers and the score should be easily reversed from September. 

Hatch’s return has added a whole ‘nother dimension to this City offense. I don’t think the impact of his absence in the first game between these teams can be overstated. Kid is a threat to take the ball to the house every time he touches it. As you said, Valpo took advantage of the Wolves’ man coverage scheme in the first game, especially getting Hayden Vineyard involved in the passing game, where it looked like no one was covering him on two huge receptions for touchdowns. And City’s rush defense was definitely wobbly by the end of the game as well, with Valpo’s depth seeming to be a big advantage in that regard. How City adjusts to these from the previous game will be interesting to see. These two teams are basically oil and water; one wins by grinding opponents down and generally wants to play the game in the box, while the other wants to race past their opponents with elite perimeter athleticism. How these styles play out in this rematch will be fun to watch. 

Edited by scarab527
  • Like 1