Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Plymouth Rockies

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

Plymouth, though, can still boast that they are the only high school in Indiana with 2 nicknames: the Rockies and the Pilgrims.

They sure are.  Interesting that if you look at this list which contain now closed & consolidated high schools having two nicknames was much more common:  http://online.fliphtml5.com/bumg/hobg/#p=1

Have a Happy Christmas.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DE said:

Just for guy's teams?

Kouts has the Mustangs and the Fillies.

Female variants of male nicknames don’t count.

4 hours ago, Irishman said:

Bellmont's boys' teams are the Braves, and the girls' teams are the Squaws. 

See above. Also … are you kidding? Squaws? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

Female variants of male nicknames don’t count.

One thing that's always perplexed me in high schools is the idea of Lady *fill in the blank*.  For example, if your team mascot is Wildcats, why is the boys' basketball team the Wildcats and the girls' basketball team the Lady Wildcats?  Aren't all of the students of that school Wildcats? 

• Like 2

On 12/25/2021 at 6:50 AM, Muda69 said:

They sure are.  Interesting that if you look at this list which contain now closed & consolidated high schools having two nicknames was much more common:  http://online.fliphtml5.com/bumg/hobg/#p=1

Have a Happy Christmas.

This list of old high schools fascinates me. Like some of these towns are so small I can’t imagine them having a high school. But much different time I suppose. Thanks for the share 

• Thanks 1

I think Barron made a good point earlier in the season about the steep drop off in kids playing sports for Plymouth. It starts with football, but you can't make kids excited for getting on a bus to go to the high school for practice because they decided to build the new middle school where the middle school football team practiced and played. I can see why this is an issue when it comes down to numbers. 

i have never been to a fb game at Plymouth High School, looking forward to watching my Cavemen play there this next season.  As well as trips to NW, Northridge and Warsaw should be exciting games.

Edited by Crusty

On 12/23/2021 at 7:52 PM, foxbat said:

There aren't too many majority-Hispanic high schools in Indiana, but of the ones that are, their football teams aren't any more than .500 at best.

You don’t even have to look outside the NLC to see the perfect example of this phenomenon….

2 hours ago, johnny U said:

Maybe football is so good in Hispaniuc-Majority schools, but the soccer just keeps getting better.

Not really.  The Frankfort High School soccer team has been .500 at best over the last several season.  They can't compete with the likes of West Lafayette and Harrison squads where the majority of players can afford to play on club teams year round  and/or have private coaching.

On 12/24/2021 at 9:16 AM, Football Guru 25 said:

Sounds like a bunch of excuses from the Rockies....saying goes "excuses start at the top"   

With all due respect to you and the other posters...I do not believe that a single poster here (on this particular thread)  is a "Plymouth Person" giving excuses about their program.  Many of the posters are talking about demographics of hispanic population, numbers for FB in general etc.  If you look at the names of the posters and then the names of the schools they are associated with...Highland, Warsaw, Whiting, Frankfort etc...none of these posters are "plymouth people" giving excuses.  I believe it when you say "Excuses start at the top." But it seems with this thread, there is nobody from "the top" making excuses.  my 2 cents

1 hour ago, gbjemler said:

With all due respect to you and the other posters...I do not believe that a single poster here (on this particular thread)  is a "Plymouth Person" giving excuses about their program.  Many of the posters are talking about demographics of hispanic population, numbers for FB in general etc.  If you look at the names of the posters and then the names of the schools they are associated with...Highland, Warsaw, Whiting, Frankfort etc...none of these posters are "plymouth people" giving excuses.  I believe it when you say "Excuses start at the top." But it seems with this thread, there is nobody from "the top" making excuses.  my 2 cents

I'd point you to the interview that @HHF did with John Barron earlier this year. I am having trouble finding it.

In reading this topic I see some questions are being asked.  Here is what I see as someone who is around a lot...

1.  We have had a couple of classes in a row who don't play football.  The kids in those grades are good kids but they aren't football players.  I wish they could've got some wins but if you look at them through the years they just haven't been successful in football.  So lack of talent is reason number one.

2.  Our move from the option based offense that worked in the early 2000's to shotgun spread (when Coach Barron's youngest was QB) to wildcat (Jake Reichard at QB), to this past season where we didn't have an identity.  The offense switched from game to game.  None of them worked.  But we had an offense we hung our hat on and changed it for the coach's son and we still are searching for an identity.

3.  New AD over the last couple of years who had a well-known outburst after a boys basketball game that has made it difficult to get coaches to apply for open jobs. (Girls/Boys Basketball).  We will see about Football.  But on a side note even though we had limited people apply to for the Boy's Job they seem to be showing improvement and hopefully we will turn the corner there.  Joel Grindle and his staff of former basketball players are doing an excellent job.  But still there is a lot of distrust from the coaches on staff for the current AD.

4.  But our Junior High teams were both very successful this past season and things are looking up.  Will we be competitive next year?  Not unless we can get some more athletic kids to play.  But there is a chance for us to get better with the right person in place.  Patience will be key for the new hire.  I haven't heard any rumors about where the coaching search will go but I do hope we get plenty of people to choose from and if any of you are looking to apply please do and if you want any info about the school that can't be asked here, DM me on the digest and I will try to get you your answers.

I want us to be good at the major sports.  When schools see success in Football and Basketball in Indiana they seem to have better overall school culture.  So please if you are coach looking for a challenge please apply!

Edited by Plymouthfan91
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...