Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Favorite Tournament Moments

4 hours ago, RocksFan23 said:

Haha definitely not the prettiest game for quarterbacks! But always liked East as well, my uncle is good friends with Coach Chitty. 2013 was great to see East take down Dwenger, that was my senior year (wasn’t a football player, played lacrosse and soccer) but went in with now looking back blind ignorance and hope of hanging with McLaurin and Cathedral. But Coach Gilbert followed through on telling that senior class they’d be at LOS their final season; and look what he’s built now. Had him as my Government teacher, absolutely great guy. Hope they name the field after him when he decides to hang it up. 

I liked Coach Gilbert when I found out he was friends with Coach Gaddis. I think Gaddis offered him some big role with the IFCA prior to 2016. So any friend of Coach Gaddis is ok with me.

2013.  Our 1st Semi-State assignment.   Only game slated for Saturday play.  

Gibson Southern brought an entire contingent of fans to Brebeuf Jesuit. 

The COLDEST game I have ever been a part of.  

1st half, had a full capacity crowd with "Carhartt" jackets all over the place..... By the time the 2nd half began, the ENTIRE crowd was in the glass enclosed area of the end zone watching the game and listening to the radio broadcasts.  

It was surreal with only players, staff and a chain crew left on the field with us as the winds/snow/temperature dictated the outcome of the contest.  

Had the conditions been a bit better, I am sure that the GS attack would have had more success.  

Other than the Snider/Luers game this year, this is the ONLY time that I have ever thought that Indiana weather impacted ever phase of the offensive ability of a team to fully show their "arsenal"....

2006 Regional, Norwell @ New Prairie. We showed up for the game, went into the locker room, had our pregame, walked out and the temperature had dropped 20 degrees into the 30s, and it was raining. We turned around, went back to the locker room and put on every stitch of clothing we had. The rain turned to sleet, and then ice pellets. The first half was an absolute mud bath. By early in the 2nd half, the temperature had dropped even further, and the mud ruts began to freeze. Footing was horrible. One player dominated the game: Norwell QB Chandler Harnish, who went on to star at Northern Illinois. He must have rushed for over 200 yds. in Norwell’s 49-20 win. After the game, I took off my knickers and socks and threw them in the trash. That was the most uncomfortable I have ever been on a football field, and the worst field conditions I’ve ever seen. 

• Like 1

1985 State Finals in the Hoosier Dome.

Brownsburg and Hobart tied 17-17 with something like 10 seconds left in regulation.  Brownsburg happy to run out the clock.  However, Hobart is penalized for too many men on field.  Brownsburg throws a long pass and wins the game.

I recall David Letterman showing this play on his show.

On 11/12/2021 at 1:01 PM, Warren Central Warrior said:

Ben Davis vs Warren Central in the 2003 Regional Championship was one of my favorite memories. The Giants were the two time defending champions and they were seeking a third straight state title. The Warriors haven't won a Regional since 1985. It was a close game. But Warren Central won 27-20. The Warriors would go on to win their first of four straight state championships 57-7 over the Penn Kingsmen.

That was Coach Dullaghan's final game. I remember his name being mispronounced over the PA..."Congratulations to Coach Dick Dull-again".

I also remember Coach D addressing the Warriors informally as they all congratulated him on his career. "Be Humble. Play your hearts out! Now go win it all because you're the best team." Still have the audio somewhere around here.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

2006 Regional, Norwell @ New Prairie. We showed up for the game, went into the locker room, had our pregame, walked out and the temperature had dropped 20 degrees into the 30s, and it was raining. We turned around, went back to the locker room and put on every stitch of clothing we had. The rain turned to sleet, and then ice pellets. The first half was an absolute mud bath. By early in the 2nd half, the temperature had dropped even further, and the mud ruts began to freeze. Footing was horrible. One player dominated the game: Norwell QB Chandler Harnish, who went on to star at Northern Illinois. He must have rushed for over 200 yds. in Norwell’s 49-20 win. After the game, I took off my knickers and socks and threw them in the trash. That was the most uncomfortable I have ever been on a football field, and the worst field conditions I’ve ever seen. 

Similar conditions in Zionsville that night. I was coaching at Cathedral at the time. Zionsville had the highest crown in a field I have ever seen. The dropoff on the sidelines was bad. If I stood in one spot for a few seconds, I would slide down that incline. I still give my former 5th grade teacher a hard time. He was the white hat that night. We had kicked off and the ball went into the endzone for a touchback. On third down, Zionsville ran the ball toward our sideline. You could see the ball was short of the 30. White hat signals first down. it was close enough for me to quietly say "hey Roger, you know the kick was a touchback right?" He gave me a puzzled look initially, but figured it out later. 😄

I took some time to think about this one as it has been a couple years since these happened. The 1984 title games were the first ones to be held in the dome. We took a trip to the Colts temporary practice facility to practice on the turf that Tuesday. It was the Colts first season in Indianapolis, and they were still practicing when we were. It was REALLY cold that day and snowing. Hitting the turf REALLY hurt lol. Some of the Colts players came up to chat; most of them wanted to see Jeff George to help their alma maters do some "recruiting" 🙂 . Wednesday morning, we got to practice in the dome. Coaches told us all week to wear old tennis shoes, but even with them, guess who did the first face plant into the turf as we jogged out for warm ups? 😄 The problem was they rolled the turf up when it was not being used, and the adhesive from the bottom side would get on the surface of the turf. But the whole experience of playing there was really cool. The coolest thing from the week, next to winning was practicing Thanksgiving morning. It was a gorgeous day with frost on our practice field. 

During 2 a days as we brought the 5 man sled from storage, we were banging it into so many things. Our o line coach, Coach Lee Dilk, is yelling at us each time we hit something, and finally says ok, if you guys go undefeated, I will put this away by myself.............he lived up to his word. It took him a while 🙂

One of my best friends on the team, who left us WAY too early in 2000, would look for a 4 leaf clover on the practice field during warm ups, and was able to find one each week of our season....14 4 leaf clovers. 

As a coach, there have been a LOT of great memories. Being a part of a championship team as a coach was more rewarding than as a player IMO. I stood back to watch the kids celebrate, and it was cool to just take that in. 

Having a few teams win sectional titles was actually just as rewarding as the State title; especially when we beat teams that had been a thorn in our side for so many years. Beating Dwenger in 2016 stands out among those. Regardless of what kind of lead you build up, those teams were never out of a game. A pick in the end zone saved the game. 

As there are many great memories, a wise coaching friend once said, your greatest wins will never outweigh your toughest loss, and that has remained true throughout my time as a coach. 

Warsaw at Snider 2001

Warsaw brought the biggest offensive line I've ever seen to Spuller Stadium. They may have even been the favorite that night. The Tigers knew they had a strong Snider team to get past, but their sights were really on Penn, who beat them in a tight game the year before. Warsaw made a statement right away going up 14-0. Snider clawed back and tied it. With Warsaw up 20-14 with 5 minutes to go, Snider drove the length of the field by running every single play. No big runs or small ones, but each run went for about 4-6 yards. Snider tied it up and ultimately won in overtime 23-20. Penn bowed out in regional setting up a Valpo/Snider match in which the Viking won and went on to state. 

Snider at Homestead 2002

Snider drew a bye and had two weeks to prepare for the favored Spartans. This was arguably Homesteads best team ever (the other being 1998). In a game that Snider led by a touchdown most of the way, Homestead went ahead 21-20 on a thrilling 4th down touchdown pass with just a few minutes to play. With time running out and Snider facing a 4th and 1 from their own 29, they brought in the full house backfield. That was just a set-up for the wide open TE downfield who stumbled as he caught the ball and fell down untouched. That set up the game winning field goal with no time remaining. Snider having two weeks to prepare was the difference in that game. Snider went on to lose to Ben Davis 31-7 at state. 

Fishers at Snider 2012

Down 28-14 with Fishers driving into FG territory with 5 minutes to go. I left the game only to get a phone call on the way home telling me that Snider won 36-35. Snider's season ended in the state finals to Lawrence Central 39-14. 

Edited by BTF
Additional wording
  • Like 1

On 11/13/2021 at 1:23 AM, RocksFan23 said:

2016 Semistate- Thunderstorms and rain delayed games all over state that night, Westfield gets down 10-0 to defending state champ Snider, but scored right before half to tie it up (perfectly thrown ball somehow with how wet it was all night, and only completion of the whole game) and wins 23-17 mainly due to special teams, Will Harrison hit a 53 yarder that would have been good from 60, and a 60+ yard punt if my math is right to put Snider at their own 9 to start final drive.

2016 5A State Finals- Westfield finally gets a football state title, beating Columbus East 16-13, seemed like 80% of the town was at LOS that night. Defense and reliable kicker that carried Westfield all year come through and shut out Columbus East second half.

I remember watching that Semistate game at Westfield on TV. It was awful weather conditions, not just the rain, but a strong wind. Will Harrison was a heck of a kicker. He had not one but to monster punts into that wind that kept Snider pinned back and unable to do much of anything in that 4th quarter. I remember the Snider coach saying he'd never been in a game before where the kicker had such an impact. 

Harrison kicked three FGs in that 5A title game. including a 52 yard FG that still is the longest FG ever in any state championship game, regardless of class.

On 11/13/2021 at 2:53 AM, Frozen Tundra said:

A few days before the game, I remember listening to 1070 The Fan and hearing it discussed that it would probably be the quickest state title game ever with the way both teams liked to run the ball. Lol. 

I went into that game thinking we’d probably lose based on what I’d seen of Westfield. That miracle play we made at the end of the first half made the score closer than it should’ve been. You guys had the stronger team. I never like losing but I didn’t mind losing to your Shamrocks.

When we went to the 4A state title game in 2013, I was pulling for Westfield to beat Cathedral in the 5A title game. The result was all too similar to our first four match-ups with Cathedral so I sympathized for you that you weren’t able to get your first state title. So when Westfield beat us in 2016, I remembered 2013 and was happy for you. No shame in losing to a deserving team, especially when it was their first state football title.

I remember watching Cathedral warm up before that 5A state title game against Westfield. Terry McLaurin, Cathedral's all everything player, looked more like a college player than a high school kid while warming up without pads. Westfield had no one that could defend him whether he was playing receiver or tailback. I think he even returned kickoffs and punts. Seeing how well he's done with Washington, he's proven he may be one of the best ever to play there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WestfieldRocks said:

I remember watching Cathedral warm up before that 5A state title game against Westfield. Terry McLaurin, Cathedral's all everything player, looked more like a college player than a high school kid while warming up without pads. Westfield had no one that could defend him whether he was playing receiver or tailback. I think he even returned kickoffs and punts. Seeing how well he's done with Washington, he's proven he may be one of the best ever to play there.

He (Terry McLaurin) is definitely up there among one of the Best players from Cathedral. Blaine Bishop would be another one. Been a few good lineman that graduated from there although difficult to compare with skill players.

McLaurin was fun to watch. Ohio State didn't utilize all of his talents (because they had a few talented WR's) and he made no complaints about it, but he certainly is showing his capabilities in the NFL.

November 14, 1980 - Lawrence Central HS

The Sheridan Blackhawks defeat the North Judson Blue Jays 27-0 to win the program's first of 9 state titles.

It was a cold, wet night at LC.  We just celebrated the 41st anniversary of that game yesterday.  Hard to believe it's been that long and the ol' ball coach is still leading the Hawks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FastpacedO said:

He (Terry McLaurin) is definitely up there among one of the Best players from Cathedral. Blaine Bishop would be another one. Been a few good lineman that graduated from there although difficult to compare with skill players.

McLaurin was fun to watch. Ohio State didn't utilize all of his talents (because they had a few talented WR's) and he made no complaints about it, but he certainly is showing his capabilities in the NFL.

I got the chance to see him play in person a few weeks ago....He is impressive. The first TD he scored was at our end; a nice over the shoulder catch in stride. I got this pic of him just before kickoff
May be an image of one or more people, people playing football, stadium, grass and text that says 'FACKERS RALLY CAPTAN'

• Like 2

On 11/12/2021 at 5:00 PM, BDGiant93 said:

That Evans run was electrifying. What a football game.

2019, After finishing the regular season 5-4, BD nearly stuns the Center Grove Trojans and nearly advances to the State Championship game. A late drive was thwarted by a fumble.

The Evans run never matters if Max Norris doesn't shread his hamstring at the end of the 2nd quarter on another break away run.  Max had over 200 yds rushing before half and was unstoppable.  CG had a huge lead.  Max's injury was just flat out cruel.  Your joy was CG's and Max's heartbreak.

2019....CG finished regular season 4-5.  Neither team tore up the regular season, but got hot in the playoffs.  That was an excellent game.  

1973, Bloomington High School, no North or South back then.  Bloomington HS had won 60 games in a row and this was the first year for a playoff in Indiana.  Bloomington HS almost had more coaches than Cathedral had players, or so it seemed.  It was really cold that night as it usually is when you make a long playoff run.  The opening kickoff was run back by Cathedral's Vince Gaughn and the Irish went out to a lead with another score shortly thereafter.  Anyway the Irish won the game 32-28 and broke Bloomington's long winning streak.  It was a fun ride back home!

The Irish played at School Field the next week for the 3A championship.  They were beaten by South Bend Washington 19-13 in a tight battle.

• Like 1

2018 Dwenger vs Evansville Central.  BD 16- 10 in 4 OTs.  Crazy defensive struggle.  I have never witnessed in person such a game with so much drama. Every time either team would seemingly be in a position for the win, there would be a goal line stand or missed or blocked field goal. By the end of the game the entire building was exhausted. One minute you were elated, the next deflated.

4 minutes ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

Before the state finals were hosted in Indy, how was the site determined? Was it a neutral site or one of the teams host?

I believe the classes were held at different sites in Indy. I know Lawrence Central and North Central both hosted.

4 hours ago, BDGiant93 said:

Looks like one of the schools hosted before the neutral sites. Here's John Harrell's list.

http://indianahsfootball.homestead.com/pastfb/chart.htm#loaded

There are those that say Carmel’s 1973 “adventure “ @ Valpo had a lot to do with going to neutral sites. 30 mph winds and temperatures in the teens pretty much grounded Coach Dullaghan and Mark Herrmann that night in a 14-13 defeat.

18 minutes ago, Staxawax said:

There are those that say Carmel’s 1973 “adventure “ @ Valpo had a lot to do with going to neutral sites. 30 mph winds and temperatures in the teens pretty much grounded Coach Dullaghan and Mark Herrmann that night in a 14-13 defeat.

I remember Coach D talking about that one.

On 11/15/2021 at 5:52 AM, Bobref said:

Same night, same county.  2006 Regional, Crown Point @ LaPorte.  Game was delayed by lightning late in the 2nd quarter.  I went home and completely changed clothes and came back.  LP dominated the 1st half, CP dominated after the lightning delay (when the wind and rain stopped).  LP dominated in OT for the win.  Most miserable and memorable game I've ever been to.

On 11/16/2021 at 8:20 AM, BDGiant93 said:

Looks like one of the schools hosted before the neutral sites. Here's John Harrell's list.

http://indianahsfootball.homestead.com/pastfb/chart.htm#loaded

Penn's first championship was the last outdoor championship game and was at North Central in 1983.  It was about 70 degrees that day, no coat necessary on that November night!

On 11/15/2021 at 8:37 AM, Irishman said:

I took some time to think about this one as it has been a couple years since these happened. The 1984 title games were the first ones to be held in the dome. We took a trip to the Colts temporary practice facility to practice on the turf that Tuesday. It was the Colts first season in Indianapolis, and they were still practicing when we were. It was REALLY cold that day and snowing. Hitting the turf REALLY hurt lol. Some of the Colts players came up to chat; most of them wanted to see Jeff George to help their alma maters do some "recruiting" 🙂 . Wednesday morning, we got to practice in the dome. Coaches told us all week to wear old tennis shoes, but even with them, guess who did the first face plant into the turf as we jogged out for warm ups? 😄 The problem was they rolled the turf up when it was not being used, and the adhesive from the bottom side would get on the surface of the turf. But the whole experience of playing there was really cool. The coolest thing from the week, next to winning was practicing Thanksgiving morning. It was a gorgeous day with frost on our practice field. 

During 2 a days as we brought the 5 man sled from storage, we were banging it into so many things. Our o line coach, Coach Lee Dilk, is yelling at us each time we hit something, and finally says ok, if you guys go undefeated, I will put this away by myself.............he lived up to his word. It took him a while 🙂

One of my best friends on the team, who left us WAY too early in 2000, would look for a 4 leaf clover on the practice field during warm ups, and was able to find one each week of our season....14 4 leaf clovers. 

As a coach, there have been a LOT of great memories. Being a part of a championship team as a coach was more rewarding than as a player IMO. I stood back to watch the kids celebrate, and it was cool to just take that in. 

Having a few teams win sectional titles was actually just as rewarding as the State title; especially when we beat teams that had been a thorn in our side for so many years. Beating Dwenger in 2016 stands out among those. Regardless of what kind of lead you build up, those teams were never out of a game. A pick in the end zone saved the game. 

As there are many great memories, a wise coaching friend once said, your greatest wins will never outweigh your toughest loss, and that has remained true throughout my time as a coach. 

I can't take the easy way out by clicking like... guess I'm too new & there's a cap on salutations?... so I will quote it instead to say there's a lot of good memories & solid karma rolled up in this kind of post.  A lot that I am confident reverberates across each school & team over their many individual seasons of Indiana HS football.  Well-said, @Irishman.

• Like 1