Jump to content
  • Current Donation Goals

    • Raised $3,162.05 of $3,600 target

5A Semistate - New Albany @ Cathedral Nov 19th (@ Tech)


Recommended Posts

Bloomington South was without their starting QB and starting RB last night. I don’t think New Albany would’ve won under normal circumstances but I’m still shocked they won at all.

This is the most experienced team New Albany probably has ever had and it allowed them to get here. First conference and sectional titles since 2002. First ever regional title. Nevertheless, I fully expect Cathedral to be up by 35+ by halftime and play with a running clock in the second half.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Dave007 said:

This game will be held at Tech, such a great historic venue under the lights!

I don't know a lot about New Albany yet, except they pulled off what many consider an upset win vs. Bloomington South last night.  Will make predictions later.

The Irish need to get better offensively. Won't effect this game in particular. They will likely win this game. They have to get better if they want to beat Michigan City or Zionsville come Thanksgiving weekend.  Defense looks good but offense needs to get better. Just an outside prospective

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cathedral by 28-35….at the half. If this game was played during the regular season, only Hammond Morton would be a worse team than what NA would be on Cathedrals schedule. It’s awesome to see NA win its first ever regional title, but this game is going to be a beatdown. 
 
The Irish just need to stay healthy and avoid any major injuries. 

Edited by Olympian06
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

The Irish need to get better offensively. Won't effect this game in particular. They will likely win this game. They have to get better if they want to beat Michigan City or Zionsville come Thanksgiving weekend.  Defense looks good but offense needs to get better. Just an outside prospective

I agree, D is great, offense needs to improve!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 NA is at full health however the bhss team they beat was down probably 75% of their offensive production from the 1st game they played. Had south been fully healthy NA would not be regional   Champs . They really benefitted from South being completely unaBle to move the football  with two sophs leading the offense.  South d was on the field too much .  

As everyone knows this game won't be close,  congrats to na but their season ends in the cold indianapolis night next Friday.    Just wish we could have seen a cathedral cg rematch in the 6a tourney. BD  is playing well cg may have their hands full vs them next week. Cg didn't exactly destroy their regional opponent last night....... 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Frozen Tundra said:

Bloomington South was without their starting QB and starting RB last night. I don’t think New Albany would’ve won under normal circumstances but I’m still shocked they won at all.

This is the most experienced team New Albany probably has ever had and it allowed them to get here. First conference and sectional titles since 2002. First ever regional title. Nevertheless, I fully expect Cathedral to be up by 35+ by halftime and play with a running clock in the second half.

New Albany has spent about 7 years building this team. All these kids have been together that long. They had a heck of a season and they’ll be back to winning 3-4 games a year after these guys graduate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Fkfootball said:

New Albany has spent about 7 years building this team. All these kids have been together that long. They had a heck of a season and they’ll be back to winning 3-4 games a year after these guys graduate.

East will be back on top next year in the conference. Not sure it will ever be a stronghold like they did for 17 years, but New Albany will drop with a ton of graduation and East will make a pretty good job. Seymour will be good again as well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/13/2021 at 11:21 AM, FastpacedO said:

The Irish need to get better offensively. Won't effect this game in particular. They will likely win this game. They have to get better if they want to beat Michigan City or Zionsville come Thanksgiving weekend.  Defense looks good but offense needs to get better. Just an outside prospective

Could not agree more. QB play needs to improve. Decatur Central and New Pal both had same gameplan. Blitz 7. Blitz will come up the middle and from weak side. QB holds ball to long waiting for #13 to come open. Must check down to open receivers. Too many open receivers to throw to the same kid. Won't matter vs New Albany. This game will make everything look OK, but problem still exists.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, FootballQB1 said:

Could not agree more. QB play needs to improve. Decatur Central and New Pal both had same gameplan. Blitz 7. Blitz will come up the middle and from weak side. QB holds ball to long waiting for #13 to come open. Must check down to open receivers. Too many open receivers to throw to the same kid. Won't matter vs New Albany. This game will make everything look OK, but problem still exists.

Isn’t the QB only a sophomore?  From what I’ve read he is well beyond where he should be at this age and a pretty good QB.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Isn’t the QB only a sophomore?  From what I’ve read he is well beyond where he should be at this age and a pretty good QB.  

Yes, he is....and he is damn good.  These past 2 weeks haven't been his best but he is an absolute work horse and he will right the ship.  But you are right, he is well beyond where he should be at this point IMO.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Isn’t the QB only a sophomore?  From what I’ve read he is well beyond where he should be at this age and a pretty good QB.  

He's been very good. 2500 yards 28 TD's to just 2 INT's. 62% completion rate on 300+ attempts. Has also run for 8 more scores. 

As a sophomore and first year starter, he doesn't need to really be any more than a game manager with the defense behind him, but his played above and beyond expectation this year. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Isn’t the QB only a sophomore?  From what I’ve read he is well beyond where he should be at this age and a pretty good QB.  

Yes and a very good one

38 minutes ago, Sports Freak20 said:

Yes, he is....and he is damn good.  These past 2 weeks haven't been his best but he is an absolute work horse and he will right the ship.  But you are right, he is well beyond where he should be at this point IMO.

Absolutely, my post wasn't any knock on the QB. Just stating the Offense needs to get a little better. They have played a couple of tough defenses the last 2 weeks (New Pal and DC) and have struggled at points in the game. Just need to improve and get better.

29 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

He's been very good. 2500 yards 28 TD's to just 2 INT's. 62% completion rate on 300+ attempts. Has also run for 8 more scores. 

As a sophomore and first year starter, he doesn't need to really be any more than a game manager with the defense behind him, but his played above and beyond expectation this year. 

100% has been terrific. The offense as a whole just needs to get better, work on TD's instead of FG. I should clarify no team is playing perfect right now and likely won't play perfect.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

He's been very good. 2500 yards 28 TD's to just 2 INT's. 62% completion rate on 300+ attempts. Has also run for 8 more scores. 

As a sophomore and first year starter, he doesn't need to really be any more than a game manager with the defense behind him, but his played above and beyond expectation this year. 

Game manager is probably a good definition. 2 int stat is the most impressive. Rarely throws a bad ball, but regularly misses open receivers. Red zone against any decent team does not look good. QB play has to improve or we lose to Zionsville/Michigan City

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, FootballQB1 said:

Game manager is probably a good definition. 2 int stat is the most impressive. Rarely throws a bad ball, but regularly misses open receivers. Red zone against any decent team does not look good. QB play has to improve or we lose to Zionsville/Michigan City

Unless Zionsville/Michigan City scores 21+ on Cathedral's starting D, and that's happened once this year against a team that is top 10 nationally whose offense took almost 3 quarters to get going, Cathedral isn't going to lose to anyone unless said QB goes out there and turns the ball over 5-6 times which hasn't come close to happening. Red zone issues has much more to do with pre-snap penalties and conservative/predictable play-calling than it has QB play. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Footballking16 said:

Unless Zionsville/Michigan City scores 21+ on Cathedral's starting D, and that's happened once this year against a team that is top 10 nationally whose offense took almost 3 quarters to get going, Cathedral isn't going to lose to anyone unless said QB goes out there and turns the ball over 5-6 times which hasn't come close to happening. Red zone issues has much more to do with pre-snap penalties and conservative/predictable play-calling than it has QB play. 

Yes, penalties are one of the things needs to be improved. In no way shape or for will I bash on the QB. I think he has played spectacular. Actually in parts of the season the QB's awareness and escape capabilities have extended plays and covered up with some miscues running the ball.  I wasn't expecting my post to end up turning into bashing the QB as I was talking Offense in general (penalties have been a problem at times on both sides of the ball).  I just think they need to get improve in some areas (nothing more than that they are still solid).

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

Yes, penalties are one of the things needs to be improved. In no way shape or for will I bash on the QB. I think he has played spectacular. Actually in parts of the season the QB's awareness and escape capabilities have extended plays and covered up with some miscues running the ball.  I wasn't expecting my post to end up turning into bashing the QB as I was talking Offense in general (penalties have been a problem at times on both sides of the ball).  I just think they need to get improve in some areas (nothing more than that they are still solid).

 

 

I think QB play has been more than steady. If we're being honest, offensive line play has been by far and away the most disappointing aspect of the season based on expectation. Not saying it has been bad, but 5 returning starters from last years team and CHS has struggled to consistently run the ball all year. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

Yes, penalties are one of the things needs to be improved. In no way shape or for will I bash on the QB. I think he has played spectacular. Actually in parts of the season the QB's awareness and escape capabilities have extended plays and covered up with some miscues running the ball.  I wasn't expecting my post to end up turning into bashing the QB as I was talking Offense in general (penalties have been a problem at times on both sides of the ball).  I just think they need to get improve in some areas (nothing more than that they are still solid).

 

 

I don’t want to bash the QB either. My issue is his play needs to improve. Last week, 16 of 25 targets were to 1 receiver. Pretty easy to defend. Wooten has been open all year. QB best game was LaSalle. Tibbs was injured. I think he found 7 receivers. Page was amazing and hasn’t really seen the targets since. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

Yes, penalties are one of the things needs to be improved. In no way shape or for will I bash on the QB. I think he has played spectacular. Actually in parts of the season the QB's awareness and escape capabilities have extended plays and covered up with some miscues running the ball.  I wasn't expecting my post to end up turning into bashing the QB as I was talking Offense in general (penalties have been a problem at times on both sides of the ball).  I just think they need to get improve in some areas (nothing more than that they are still solid).

 

 

I don't think you were bashing on him.  He hasn't had his best game (hitting open receivers) the past 2 games however he is very good and young.  As you stated, penalties have been an issue.  Overall the offense needs to get their rhythm back a bit, they'll be fine.  Obviously, defense has been stellar and I don't see them giving up many points to anyone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...