Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

3A SS South Gibson Southern vs Tri-West

Last time we ran into Tri-West was 2014.  That was when Mac Dutra played...absolute animal.  I haven't seen too many kids that were that big AND that fast.  We lost at home 14-6.  They went on to win state.

Tradition doesn't win football games, but TW has a bunch of it.  Good program.  Should be a decent game. 

I think after the nail biter Saturday, GS may be looking to lay the smack down this week.

9 minutes ago, HHPatriots said:

I think after the nail biter Saturday, GS may be looking to lay the smack down this week.

Maybe…but probably more about finishing drives.  

Lburg did a fantastic job in the second half on Saturday and they stalled out 3 drives that were in Lburg territory….4 if you count the one where we kicked the go ahead FG as that was a 1st and goal and ended up being basically a PAT

the tigers were able to hang around and they did so long enough that they earned themselves a shot at the W. 

maybe not so much of a smack down/playing angry…just need to execute and keep the foot on the gas 

56 minutes ago, HHPatriots said:

Last time we ran into Tri-West was 2014.  That was when Mac Dutra played...absolute animal.  I haven't seen too many kids that were that big AND that fast.  We lost at home 14-6.  They went on to win state.

Tradition doesn't win football games, but TW has a bunch of it.  Good program.  Should be a decent game. 

Interesting thing that year (if I recall correctly) was that Tri-West fought hard just to clear their Sectional and was facing the defending champ Andrean at Lucas Oil.  I think everyone expected Andrean to cruise to the second championship in a row but instead Tri-West was clearly dominant in that game. Wasn’t there another Hendershot (sp?) on that team as well?

Edited by Lysander

5 minutes ago, Lysander said:

Interesting thing that year (if I recall correctly) was that Tri-West fought hard just to clear their Sectional and was facing the defending champ Andrean at Lucas Oil.  I think everyone expected Andrean to cruise to the second championship in a row but instead Tri-West was clearly dominant in that game. Wasn’t there another Hendershot (sp?) on that team as well?

You are correct. Andrean came into that game thinking they already won the State Title. The '59'ers jumped out to an early 14-0 lead and it looked they were going to cruise. Tri-West took the early punches and fought back. The game went into the half tied at 21. It was all Tri-West in the 2nd half. Wesley Cook returned the 2nd half kickoff 89 yards for a TD and followed that up with TD runs of 2 and 59 yards to extend the Tri West lead to 42-21. Final was 49-27.

4 minutes ago, Lysander said:

I don't remember the Hendershot, but I remember that they completely dominated Andrean.  That was disappointing because our game with them was very close and we likely would have done the same thing to Andrean....maybe.

23 minutes ago, Lysander said:

Wasn’t there another Hendershot (sp?) on that team as well?

Yes, there were 2 Hendershots were on that team.  Peyton was a WR and Jake was the QB.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2017/01/18/doyel-brotherly-love-jake-and-peyton-hendershot/96714564/

Edited by HereComesTheBoom

2 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Maybe…but probably more about finishing drives.  

Lburg did a fantastic job in the second half on Saturday and they stalled out 3 drives that were in Lburg territory….4 if you count the one where we kicked the go ahead FG as that was a 1st and goal and ended up being basically a PAT

the tigers were able to hang around and they did so long enough that they earned themselves a shot at the W. 

maybe not so much of a smack down/playing angry…just need to execute and keep the foot on the gas 

That FG was NOT basically a FG haha. I was right there. Ball on right hash and snap was low hit the ground. Foster did a heck of job picking it up and placing it as Spear kicked and the ball was tipped and barley made it in!

Definitely some questionable play calls made in the second half of that game. Give a lot of credit to the Lions for not giving up and continue fighting!

13 minutes ago, Once a Titan said:

That FG was NOT basically a FG haha. I was right there. Ball on right hash and snap was low hit the ground. Foster did a heck of job picking it up and placing it as Spear kicked and the ball was tipped and barley made it in!

Definitely some questionable play calls made in the second half of that game. Give a lot of credit to the Lions for not giving up and continue fighting!

I'll concur with Dumfries on the FG being basically an EP, but it was actually two yards shorter than the typical EP. 

Yes, the ball was on the hash (left hash, not right) so that does make it a bit different, but the snap was right at the holders facemask, the cleanly caught ball went straight to the block without hitting the turf, the kick does not appear to be touched, and it looks like it would have been good from probably 25 or so, maybe a hair more.  No Justin Tucker bomb, but it looked like a good, clean ST play.  While either the crow's nest camera view or the EZ view is definitely debatable as to whether LB got a hand on it in flight, when taking the two cameral angles into consideration there does no appear to be a player to get close enough to touch it.  One guy looks like he might have gotten to it with his finger tips from the booth view, but the EZ view shows the kick coming off at a different looking angle and does not support the finger tip theory.  Either way, closer than any of us wanted it for sure.

Now, factor in the STRESS of the kick...?  Heck no, this was not basically an EP.  A looooooot riding on all those things going right, and they executed very well from snap to hold to kick.  Kudos to the GS ST group for the focus on getting it done.

And hats off to LB... down 21-7 at the half, GS scores right away starting the third quarter to make it 28-7... but they never hung their heads and rattled off 22 unanswered points.  Very impressive group of kids, coaches, and fans.  Definitely a game no one deserved to lose, and I think LB can be proud of leaving everything they had out there.

4 minutes ago, Esso Ayche said:

I'll concur with Dumfries on the FG being basically an EP, but it was actually two yards shorter than the typical EP. 

Yes, the ball was on the hash (left hash, not right) so that does make it a bit different, but the snap was right at the holders facemask, the cleanly caught ball went straight to the block without hitting the turf, the kick does not appear to be touched, and it looks like it would have been good from probably 25 or so, maybe a hair more.  No Justin Tucker bomb, but it looked like a good, clean ST play.  While either the crow's nest camera view or the EZ view is definitely debatable as to whether LB got a hand on it in flight, when taking the two cameral angles into consideration there does no appear to be a player to get close enough to touch it.  One guy looks like he might have gotten to it with his finger tips from the booth view, but the EZ view shows the kick coming off at a different looking angle and does not support the finger tip theory.  Either way, closer than any of us wanted it for sure.

Now, factor in the STRESS of the kick...?  Heck no, this was not basically an EP.  A looooooot riding on all those things going right, and they executed very well from snap to hold to kick.  Kudos to the GS ST group for the focus on getting it done.

And hats off to LB... down 21-7 at the half, GS scores right away starting the third quarter to make it 28-7... but they never hung their heads and rattled off 22 unanswered points.  Very impressive group of kids, coaches, and fans.  Definitely a game no one deserved to lose, and I think LB can be proud of leaving everything they had out there.

1 hour ago, Once a Titan said:

Calm down lol 

not questioning anything.  Just said the FG was as short as a PAT

i also wouldn’t dare try to take anything away from our Kicker.  His father is one helluva guy and had an incredible impact on my life when he was a teacher.  Nothing but the utmost respect for that entire family and that’s underselling it 

3 hours ago, HHPatriots said:

I don't remember the Hendershot, but I remember that they completely dominated Andrean.  That was disappointing because our game with them was very close and we likely would have done the same thing to Andrean....maybe.

Andrean completely fell apart in the 2nd half of the Tri West game. Mainly because the speed of Cook on the carpet breaking a kick return and long TD run. Completely has no bearing on how HH would have faired against Andrean. Reminds me of when many on the GID predicted HH to beat Andrean when the Patriots finally got over the Chatard hump in 2004.

10 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Calm down lol 

not questioning anything.  Just said the FG was as short as a PAT

i also wouldn’t dare try to take anything away from our Kicker.  His father is one helluva guy and had an incredible impact on my life when he was a teacher.  Nothing but the utmost respect for that entire family and that’s underselling it 

Oh I’m calm buddy…..that’s why i put the haha 😂. My apologies it was left hash. Either way it was good and it allowed us to move forward! 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Once a Titan said:

Oh I’m calm buddy…..that’s why i put the haha 😂. My apologies it was left hash. Either way it was good and it allowed us to move forward! 

I'm always impressed when a HS kicker boots a game winner. I expect it at the college and NFL level, but for some reason I just assume it's much harder at the HS level. 

• Like 1

So how big is tri west in the trenches. Lburg had size to match at the very least and that gave GS a little more work to deal with than they have seen most of the year. 

max preps depth chart doesn’t help much when you have no idea who the starters actually are…and that’s if the info listed is accurate 

57 minutes ago, HereComesTheBoom said:

That angle also make for a debatable tip/no-tip, but again with the other two angles considered it really just reinforces (from MY perspective at least) a close, but no cigar play by LB #54.  This view does help to show the ball didn't elevate right over his hand like it appears in the booth angle, but when taking the EZ camera perspective (filmed from behind the kicker), it reinforces that the ball travels to the left of his hand/arm (kickers right side).  But I'm willing to be convinced otherwise with another angle... I mean, if three doesn't tell us enough, how many will?? LOL

...was Zapruder in attendance and shooting from behind the goal posts on the grassy knoll, by any chance?? 😄

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Boilernation said:

Andrean completely fell apart in the 2nd half of the Tri West game. Mainly because the speed of Cook on the carpet breaking a kick return and long TD run. Completely has no bearing on how HH would have faired against Andrean. Reminds me of when many on the GID predicted HH to beat Andrean when the Patriots finally got over the Chatard hump in 2004.

Exactly why I threw the "maybe" in there.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Esso Ayche said:

That angle also make for a debatable tip/no-tip, but again with the other two angles considered it really just reinforces (from MY perspective at least) a close, but no cigar play by LB #54.  This view does help to show the ball didn't elevate right over his hand like it appears in the booth angle, but when taking the EZ camera perspective (filmed from behind the kicker), it reinforces that the ball travels to the left of his hand/arm (kickers right side).  But I'm willing to be convinced otherwise with another angle... I mean, if three doesn't tell us enough, how many will?? LOL

...was Zapruder in attendance and shooting from behind the goal posts on the grassy knoll, by any chance?? 😄

Too hard to tell, and doesn't matter now.  Unfortunately, I was having trouble getting the radio broadcast of the game and had to settle for refreshing twitter umpteen thousand times to stay updated.  It was pretty crazy trying to follow on twitter as a lot happened very quickly for LB in the second half.  I am not surprised at the outcome with a Titan victory, just closer than most thought it would be.  I was impressed with Yoon a couple years ago as a Sophomore when we played him and it sounded/looked like he continued to make a lot happen out of nothing based on twitter posts.   

Edited by HereComesTheBoom

Just now, Boilernation said:

I'm sure it would have been close regardless of who one. Unless the opponent is Chatard, I'll give HH a fighter's chance against anyone in the Tournament. Chatard just has everyone's number in 3A.

Indeed.  We are 1 - 6 against Chatard.  Sadly, 2 of those games we lost we felt like we had the better team, they just weren't better that day when it mattered.  It is nice that they are out....GS has at least one thing to count as a blessing.  2019 there was no question who the better team was....they would have played with the winner of 5 or 6 that year....oh well, back to normal programming.  

Beat Tri West!

1 hour ago, HHPatriots said:

Indeed.  We are 1 - 6 against Chatard.  Sadly, 2 of those games we lost we felt like we had the better team, they just weren't better that day when it mattered.  It is nice that they are out....GS has at least one thing to count as a blessing.  2019 there was no question who the better team was....they would have played with the winner of 5 or 6 that year....oh well, back to normal programming.  

Beat Tri West!

Just so we’re clear… Brebeuf beat Chatard this year.  So I’m not sure how it’s a blessing.  Brebeuf is still looming on the other side. 

17 minutes ago, HereComesTheBoom said:

Always a great couple days of football regardless of who is playing.

Funny they would come out with this when up until today their site had said “schedule to be determined following semi states”. Guess they’ll never do the geography based state finals scheduling like had been previously discussed? Would have been cool if GS, MD and Memorial all got to play same day to make it even more worth the drive for Evansville area fans. On the other hand it does make crowds filing in and out of their section easier when it is, for example 4A giving way to 6A fans in terms of numbers, as opposed to Westfield fans potentially waiting on Zionsville fans to all clear out. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

So how big is tri west in the trenches. Lburg had size to match at the very least and that gave GS a little more work to deal with than they have seen most of the year. 

max preps depth chart doesn’t help much when you have no idea who the starters actually are…and that’s if the info listed is accurate 

Guy at work son plays for Tri-West he said they are weighed and measured at school, he said the roster is correct.