Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Zionsville @ Michigan City

This is the game I'm most looking forward to watching next week. Phil Mason is further cementing his legacy as he leads the City Wolves into the Semi-State round for the 3rd time in the past 5 years. This time beautiful Ames Field gets it's turn to host a Semi-State as the Wolves previously traveled to Kokomo and New Palestine. Looks like game time temp will be around 31 degrees with winds coming off the Lake at 5-10 mph. That should't be bad enough weather to create too much discomfort for Zionsville. 

Looking at the game from City's perspective, the Wolves will need to clean up the mistakes on offense if they want any chance of pulling off the upset. Some sloppy play in th 2nd half and a poorly timed INT with under a minute to go in the 4th really helped Valpo keep it close and force OT. Sophomore QB Tyler Bush has a thrown a few INT's the past two weeks. Those INT's are at least easier to overcome against Mishwawka / Valpo than a Zionsville team that will likely flip turnovers into points. To the Wolves beneift they do have a full arsenal of playmakers to throw at the Eagles defense. 6'1 Sr WR Giovani Laurent has great hands and can stretch the secondary. 5'8 Sr. O'Marion Hatch is the speedster that MC will try to get the ball to in the open field. He can move is a threat to take it to the EZ on any play. City has a good thunder and lightning combo in the running game with 5'9 210 Sr. Racion Anderson and 6'0 180 Soph Jaden Hart. Hart is the most talented of the group and already has reported offers from Iowa State, Minnesota, Purdue, and Syracuse.

The defensive line faired well against a much bigger Valpo O-Line last week; however, Zionsville will present their biggest test of the season when Joey Tanona and Joe Cannedy take the field. Unfortunately, I can envision a scenario in which City holds Zionsville to under 30 points. 

I was caught off guard when saw Harrell picking this as a 1 point City win.  Logically, I just can't see a HCC battle tested Zionsville team losing to Michigan City. I'm hoping City's offense can keep them in the game and pull out a 31-28 type of game, but my head is thinking Zionsville will take this one by about 42-28.  Either way, I'm excited to see Phil Mason's offense and Ames Field showcased in the Semi-State round.

Snipaste_2021-11-14_14-10-09.jpg

Edited by Boilernation
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ASJCPUMA said:

Ames Field - a great place to watch a game

It didn't used to be in the 70's.  Then, it was a football field shoe-horned into a baseball stadium.  The field sloped down from the foul lines to the dugout, causing our running back to trip and fall while on a breakaway run! 

1 hour ago, gindie said:

It didn't used to be in the 70's.  Then, it was a football field shoe-horned into a baseball stadium.  The field sloped down from the foul lines to the dugout, causing our running back to trip and fall while on a breakaway run! 

I remember going to game there as a kid when Portage played Michigan City Rogers. I can't remember what it actually looked like though. I believe it was tore down in the mid '90's when they constructed the current Ames Field for the consolidation of Elston and Rogers.

10 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

I remember going to game there as a kid when Portage played Michigan City Rogers. I can't remember what it actually looked like though. I believe it was tore down in the mid '90's when they constructed the current Ames Field for the consolidation of Elston and Rogers.

The “old” Ames Field had, hands down, the worst officials’ dressing facility in the northern half of the state. It was below ground and it’s primary use was the freshman football team locker room. All the sweaty, dirty equipment was hanging there. I remember some very warm nights there where you had to stifle your gag reflex going in there. The new facility is very nice.

2 hours ago, johnny U said:

Are there any remains of the old baseball stadium that are shown in the above picture?  

No. None. For some reason I believe the old baseball stadium looked similiar to League Stadium in Huntingburg, but I could be completely wrong. Maybe the original Loeb Stadium in Lafayette would be a better comparison. IDK. I've never been able to find old pictures on the net. I do remember the visitor side for football at the old Ames baseball stadium was bleachers going across Right and Center field.

Edited by Boilernation

2 hours ago, johnny U said:

Are there any remains of the old baseball stadium that are shown in the above picture?  

I think they put the new Ames right on top of where the old Ames was at and there is nothing left of the old stadium. I remember playing a freshman game vs MC Elston and the field was so bad and flooded that we had to turn and go the other way once we reached the 50 yard line. Much improvement over the old one but the old Ames was kind of cool to look at (if memory serves me right). The new Ames goes east/west and the home stands have to deal with winds off of the lake where the visiting stands get that breeze to their backs. 

10 hours ago, johnny U said:

No, Ames Field underwent a complete and total $6 million dollar reconstruction when Elston and Rogers consolidated in 1995. Field turf went in 1995 and was replaced this past summer.  Next season we will be getting a brand new fancy video scoreboard and LED lighting upgrades.

3 minutes ago, psaboy said:

Wait, Zionsville is actually playing a playoff game on the road?? I'll take MI City by 6.

This will be the first time Ames Field or even Michigan City will ever host a semi-state in any sport.  Elston won boys basketball in 1966 and girls cross country in 1993 and 1994 and MCHS won volleyball in 1995 but the semi-states were either away games or at neutral sites.  Everybody here is very excited and all the business have all their marquees and store front windows with a message in support of the team.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Tommy said:

This will be the first time Ames Field or even Michigan City will ever host a semi-state in any sport.  Elston won boys basketball in 1966 and girls cross country in 1993 and 1994 and MCHS won volleyball in 1995 but the semi-states were either away games or at neutral sites.  Everybody here is very excited and all the business have all their marquees and store front windows with a message in support of the team.

That's cool. Happy for the Michigan City community. I watched the Regional via Michigan City's livestream and the guys doing play by play and color summed it up perfectly when commenting on how long time Michigan City football fans like themselves can't believe they're now mentioning their program as Championship winners in the playoffs.

The Michigan City community will show up and support their school.  It is a town that has been waiting for a winner again.

In 1966 when they wont State in basketball over 50,000 people lined a 3+ mile parade route through town to welcome them home.  It was unreal. They had a reunion of sorts a few years ago during the summer festival and the crowd was there to see the players.

The old Ames field was not a place t watch football at all.  The one sideline had no fans behind it

I would love to see City win this but being from the indy area their football is a different breed

On 11/14/2021 at 10:46 PM, ASJCPUMA said:

Ames Field - a great place to watch a game

Have a couple questions if I may:

Does everyone park on the Southside of the stadium or is that just for Michigan City fans and the same goes for entry into the stadium, all on Southside or does Zionsville fans entry on Northside. Thanks for the help, been by the stadium numerous times, just never inside.  Coming up to watch a cousin play for Zionsville.  

1 hour ago, Mod22 said:

Have a couple questions if I may:

Does everyone park on the Southside of the stadium or is that just for Michigan City fans and the same goes for entry into the stadium, all on Southside or does Zionsville fans entry on Northside. Thanks for the help, been by the stadium numerous times, just never inside.  Coming up to watch a cousin play for Zionsville.  

For big crown games we park at the Marquette Mall at US 20 and 421 by the former JC Penney store and we run a shuttle bus to and from Ames Field.  We have a seating capacity of 4,500, after that the fire Marshall will not let anyone in.  Visitors enter the gate on the northwest side of the stadium.

2 minutes ago, Tommy said:

For big crown games we park at the Marquette Mall at US 20 and 421 by the former JC Penney store and we run a shuttle bus to and from Ames Field.  We have a seating capacity of 4,500, after that the fire Marshall will not let anyone in.  Visitors enter at the gate on the 

Edited by Tommy

3 hours ago, Whiting89 said:

Is Michigan city part of region, part of south bend area or it’s own area?

Big part of the life style here is being on the south shore of Lake Michigan and our close proximity to the city of Chicago.  I’ve considered it to be part of Chicagoland.

10 hours ago, Tommy said:

For big crown games we park at the Marquette Mall at US 20 and 421 by the former JC Penney store and we run a shuttle bus to and from Ames Field.  We have a seating capacity of 4,500, after that the fire Marshall will not let anyone in.  Visitors enter the gate on the northwest side of the stadium.

Tommy, thanks for the info, appreciate it. 

10 hours ago, Tommy said:

Big part of the life style here is being on the south shore of Lake Michigan and our close proximity to the city of Chicago.  I’ve considered it to be part of Chicagoland.

There are lots and fields across the street (Franklin St.) from the stadium.  Not sure what is available to park.  There were a few sports on the north side of the stadium the last time I was there.