Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Curious...

Out of a possible 5 games so far in the tournament (3 in sectional, a regional, and now a semi-state) , who has had the LEAST amount of home games and done the most traveling? 

On the flip side, who has had the "dream draw" and played most of their games at home?? (I'm assuming there hasn't been anyone who has been able to host every round?)

I always find it interesting how some teams seem to get more home games during the tourney...would like to see the results. Thanks

Here's what I found in regards to a dream-ish drive

Ben Davis: Home vs Southport, @ Tech (25 min drive), Home vs Bburg, @CG (30 min drive)

Cathedral: Home vs THN, Home vs Plainfield, @ Decatur (30 min drive), Home vs New Pal, Home vs New Albany

Zionsville: Home vs all opponents the last 2.5 years lol, @ Michigan City for Semistate (2 hr 30 min drive) 

Cathedral takes the cake in terms of the best draw in terms of travel with Zionsville having the best draw the last 2.5 years until they finally have to go on the road to MC. 

Edited by MICFan34

3 hours ago, eschnur66 said:

Mater Dei's three road games have spanned 465 miles (one way).

91 miles to Linton

199 miles to Triton Central

175 miles to Beech Grove

In year's past, Mater Dei would have been home this week for semi state.  That's not the case this year because of this rule that was added:

*If regional winner has not hosted either sectional final or regional, that school will be the designated host.

Not sure that makes a lot of sense.  It doesn't take travel time into consideration at all.  Instead they have another 4 hour bus ride up north.  Scecina's travel time has been much less.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MICFan34 said:

Here's what I found in regards to a dream-ish drive

Ben Davis: Home vs Southport, @ Tech (25 min drive), Home vs Bburg, @CG (30 min drive)

Cathedral: Home vs THN, Home vs Plainfield, @ Decatur (30 min drive), Home vs New Pal, Home vs New Albany

Zionsville: Home vs all opponents the last 2.5 years lol, @ Michigan City for Semistate (2 hr 30 min drive) 

Cathedral takes the cake in terms of the best draw in terms of travel with Zionsville having the best draw the last 2.5 years until they finally have to go on the road to MC. 

For the record, I was really hoping for a Bloomington game for the Irish. I had rooms reserved for the night and a 3:30p Indiana Hoosiers kick on Saturday. As horrific as the Hoosiers have been this year, God smiled on us again with a New Albany win and a local game. We do actually like to travel no matter what PHJ says....

1 hour ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

For the record, I was really hoping for a Bloomington game for the Irish. I had rooms reserved for the night and a 3:30p Indiana Hoosiers kick on Saturday. As horrific as the Hoosiers have been this year, God smiled on us again with a New Albany win and a local game. We do actually like to travel no matter what PHJ says....

If South won, that would have been a helluva weekend. 

Glad you guys can go back to Tech during the postseason, the amount of nice breweries and bars in the area, plus the Irish tailgate, has to be unmatched in the state. 

1 hour ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

Not this year we didn't want to travel!😉  Bloomington is difficult to get to with all the I69 construction.  Bobby Cox would have been upset with the Irish's lack of travel this playoff, btw.😅

33 minutes ago, MICFan34 said:

If South won, that would have been a helluva weekend. 

Glad you guys can go back to Tech during the postseason, the amount of nice breweries and bars in the area, plus the Irish tailgate, has to be unmatched in the state. 

It's all good!

11 hours ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

This way you can head to Wrigley for the Boilers!

22 hours ago, Uncle Rico said:

In year's past, Mater Dei would have been home this week for semi state.  That's not the case this year because of this rule that was added:

*If regional winner has not hosted either sectional final or regional, that school will be the designated host.

I do not recall seeing this rule before but may have possibly just overlooked it.  Is it new this year or added recently?  I was really excited about MD hosting SS at Bowl.  Seems like something added to appease Indy schools, IMHO 

2 hours ago, WCGrad92 said:

that rule has been there at least since 2017 and i can go back further.

image.png.773dd580dd40e9d4978fde799636442d.png

and even further back to 2014 so far

and back to 2009 which is as far as Im willing to go. so not just a new rule this year.

@MDAlum82 It's been around at least since the early 2000's, just ask any Heritage Hills fan.  They can tell you all about it. LOL

Edited by oldtimeqb

4 hours ago, MDAlum82 said:

I do not recall seeing this rule before but may have possibly just overlooked it.  Is it new this year or added recently?  I was really excited about MD hosting SS at Bowl.  Seems like something added to appease Indy schools, IMHO 

How in the holy name of BobRef is that a rule that favors Indy area schools?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, WCGrad92 said:

that rule has been there at least since 2017 and i can go back further.

image.png.773dd580dd40e9d4978fde799636442d.png

and even further back to 2014 so far

and back to 2009 which is as far as Im willing to go. so not just a new rule this year.

Yep I saw that today.  Can't believe it's been in place that long.  Either way, I'm not a fan of it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Justasportsfan said:

I thought it use to flip when ties occurred..if a team hosts a regional the year prior they can't host the following year..same with a ss..if neither team hosted go with the odd/even north/south setup 

It doesn't have anything to do with the year before as to any given team. It's a even/odd number thing.

Edited by tango