Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Scheduling of State Finals Games

Unless my memory is completely gone (wife says it's heading in that direction anyway), I seem to recall that the IHSAA announced last year that they were going to start considering geography of the participating schools when developing the actual schedule of the state finals games.  I think it meant that, for example, if 2 South Bend area teams were in the finals in different classes, they reserved the right to schedule those games consecutively as a convenience to the fans of that area.  In fact, as recently as last weekend, the IHSAA site indicated that the schedule would be released on November 20 (I'm not talking about home team designation, that will still be done next week), after the semi-state games.

Now, tonight (Nov. 18), the IHSAA site shows that the odd-numbered classes are on Friday, evens are on Saturday, the traditional schedule type for many years.

Was my memory failing me?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gindie said:

the IHSAA announced last year that they were going to start considering geography of the participating schools

This is where we all need to be reminded that "considering" does not, in practice or reality, mean actually making such a decision...it is the IHSAA, after all.  

Edited by MDAlum82

2 hours ago, MDAlum82 said:

This is where we all need to be reminded that "considering" does not, in practice or reality, mean actually making such a decision...it is the IHSAA, after all.  

I'm not sure that's what the OP what is pointing out.  I think it's that until this week the IHSAA website said the following:

"Game assignments will be announced on Saturday, Nov. 20th, 2021 following the semi-state championship games."

That's not a "considering", that's what the IHSAA said they were going to do.  But then Monday 11/15 they just posted the same odd's and even's schedule they've always used with no real explanation.  I don't really care either way....just seemed odd, I think that's all anyone else saying as well. 

Depending on how Semi-State goes, some Evansville area fans might be a little miffed...if they all advanced a 2/3/4 schedule would have been a cool thing for Evansville football.