Head Coach Openings 2024 ×

5A State Championship - Cathedral-Zionsville (pt 2)

Watched several games tonight, but focused on the big schools to see if we’d be looking at 2020 rematches in 5 & 6A. Paused the NA-Cathedral game to bop around to Westfield-Merrillville & MC-Zionsville. Just now resuming the 5A South contest and wonder… is there any school not named CG that can compete with Cathedral this season?

I don’t do scores & spreads (you all are better at that), but short of a major amount of all-team focus from Zionsville this week, I see Cathedral being a tough road to hoe. 

Just now, temptation said:

I could be misremembering but if I am not mistaken many folks were surprised Zionsville remained as competitive as they did last year…

I think Zionsville actually moved the ball really well last year… I do think a lot of people were surprised with how Zionsville played. 

Well there we have it at this early stage of the discourse: the north bracket doesn’t have the same level of competition as the south. I won’t disagree. Also, H2H matchups may illustrate a vast disparity between the teams. 

As for my own take, it remains to be seen how the lines play. Zville was all up in FWD’s backfield @ regionals… but had to fight to spend any time there this week. Fighting to the next level on line & being greedy to the ball on D is going to go a long way. 

1 hour ago, temptation said:

I could be misremembering but if I am not mistaken many folks were surprised Zionsville remained as competitive as they did last year…

You're spot on. I remember Zionsville's offense had some major explosive plays against Cathedral's D.

It’s worth noting how last year’s game went,  but the teams were ready for each other. I just don’t know how they’ll respond this time. The Irish WRs aren’t going to miss catches like MC did. Indeed, I see MC’s big plays being rather routine for Cathedral. So while I still chalk this up to a battle of linemen, Cathedral’s hands are going to be stickier than Zville is used to defending. 

6 hours ago, MICFan34 said:

You're spot on. I remember Zionsville's offense had some major explosive plays against Cathedral's D.

While  Zionsville offense is better than last year, it is a proven fact (look at stats this year) Cathedrals defense is ridiculously better than last year.  We just are not giving up many points with the exception  when the second and third units are on the field in the second half (most notable in playoffs thus far).  

Irish 24

Zionsville 10

On 11/20/2021 at 6:48 AM, Dave007 said:

While  Zionsville offense is better than last year, it is a proven fact (look at stats this year) Cathedrals defense is ridiculously better than last year.  We just are not giving up many points with the exception  when the second and third units are on the field in the second half (most notable in playoffs thus far).  

Irish 24

Zionsville 10

It’s obvious enough to call Cathedral by 2 or more scores and idk if it’ll be this close, but I’ve got it on good faith Z-ville linemen are working together this week. At this stage, it’s only a matter if they go quick to go along with the communication to pick up those fast movers on the other side. 

LBs with fast eyes & DBs with fast feet remain the continued focus for the next 96 hours. (Yup, we’re inside of that short duration to ‘keep it going’ to finish the thing. 😮😱)

12 hours ago, Olympian06 said:

That would be rather impressive if his 9 year old son was on that team. 

That's what I thought, but I was told he had a son in high school. The player was a freshman.  So 13/14 years old.

I saw some video of his son at 8 but this video didn't really have a date. One was 2018.

That is why I was putting the question out there. Figured a Zionsville fan could answer my question. Not a Columbus East fan.

7 hours ago, Mebuck said:

That's what I thought, but I was told he had a son in high school. The player was a freshman.  So 13/14 years old.

I saw some video of his son at 8 but this video didn't really have a date. One was 2018.

That is why I was putting the question out there. Figured a Zionsville fan could answer my question. Not a Columbus East fan.

haha I was just messing with you.. 

Edited by Olympian06

On 11/22/2021 at 5:30 PM, PHJIrish said:

Tickets are bought and we're ready for some indoor football!😊

Indiana weather never seems to disappoint come championship weekend and makes one quite enjoy the dry, climate-controlled atmosphere of LOS.

25 minutes ago, foxbat said:

Indiana weather never seems to disappoint come championship weekend and makes one quite enjoy the dry, climate-controlled atmosphere of LOS.

Playing on turf for a big game is just a ihsaa conspiracy against Cathedral because they believe that big games should be played in the mud at a stadium that has a great tradition such as Arlington middle school.

• Haha 1
  • Sit and spin 1