Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

5A State Championship - Cathedral-Zionsville (pt 2)

2 hours ago, Boilerup said:

Cathedral should always be 6A period.

Interesting take… Nobody seemed to care when they weren’t winning titles, but when they start winning them again…here we are. 

2 hours ago, Azi said:

Cathedral short FG, now up 17-7. 8:52 on the clock. 

Good battle by your boys today. Nothing to hang their heads about.. back to back making it to the state championship is damn near impossible to do. 

• Like 1

People always ask me, "doesn't it get old winning so much?"  I tell 'em, NEVER.  It's always a new cast of players and families and winning provides memories for them forever.

I feel blest to be a Cathedral alum and still an Irish fan.  Tradition is something that is hard to grasp unless you've experienced it.  Not only is Cathedral consistently good on the athletic fields, the quality education continues after all these years.  It's heartwarming for this old grad to see the quality continue.

Zionsville played about as good a game as they could.  They've been a challenge for two years now.  Hats off to the effort they put forth in the last two years.  Looking forward to more of the same as we move forward next year.

For the Irish, Danny O'Neil is amazing.  For one so young he has the poise of a one much older.  I can't wait to see what's ahead for this young man!  Jaron Tibbs is one of the best wide receivers in the state of Indiana.  I've said this all year, but he really come up big on the big stage, so to speak.  And he's only a junior!  Jaron is also a pretty fair basketball player.  The defense bent but didn't break.  The Eagles presented some things that made it difficult to defend.  Very diversified, although once they fell behind they became a bit more one dimensional.

I don't worry much about those who dislike the Irish because they win too much.  I've seen race drivers booed because they have won too much.  It's sort of a badge of honor.  Winning at Cathedral comes at a price for the players.  It's a year long process as they just don't just show up in August expecting to play well.  They will be back in the weight room in a couple of weeks preparing for a new challenge next season.

It's always good to see old friends at the Finals and during the season.  At my age I've made a lot of friends over the years, and I feel lucky to still be able to get to the games and cheer the guys on.

One criticism of the process.  The IHSAA may consider starting the games at 11am as it got real late on us last night.  I didn't get home until after midnight, and I live relatively close to LOS, maybe 20 minutes away at the most.  I would never suggest shortening the after game ceremony because the teams deserve that.

The biggest downer is that the football season is over.  It will be a long dry spell for us.  This season seemed to fly by.  I hope to be back in the stands in August, and I hope to see a lot of Irish fans out there too.

One more thing.  I'd like to give a shout out to the Irish bagpiper, Robert Wood.  He adds a very unique touch to the Irish, leading them on the field before the games.

I feel a nap coming on!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Azi said:

Cathedral wins 34-14. The Irish QB will be a force the next 2 years. Tough contest. Well-played. 

Good game, next to Center Grove this was clearly the toughest team we played all year.

Question - I noticed in program Zionsville has enrollment of 2,239.  I am curious what the enrollment tier is to move up to 6A?  I noticed Westfield has 2,500 and CG 2,700.  It is probably a moot point as I understand Zionsville will be in 6A next year regardless due to SF.

9 minutes ago, Dave007 said:

Good game, next to Center Grove this was clearly the toughest team we played all year.

Question - I noticed in program Zionsville has enrollment of 2,239.  I am curious what the enrollment tier is to move up to 6A?  I noticed Westfield has 2,500 and CG 2,700.  It is probably a moot point as I understand Zionsville will be in 6A next year regardless due to SF.

Westfield will probably disagree with you on being the 2nd toughest team the Irish have played but at the same time the Cathedral offense has come a long way since week 1. 

1 hour ago, PHJIrish said:

People always ask me, "doesn't it get old winning so much?"  I tell 'em, NEVER.  It's always a new cast of players and families and winning provides memories for them forever.

I feel blest to be a Cathedral alum and still an Irish fan.  Tradition is something that is hard to grasp unless you've experienced it.  Not only is Cathedral consistently good on the athletic fields, the quality education continues after all these years.  It's heartwarming for this old grad to see the quality continue.

Zionsville played about as good a game as they could.  They've been a challenge for two years now.  Hats off to the effort they put forth in the last two years.  Looking forward to more of the same as we move forward next year.

For the Irish, Danny O'Neil is amazing.  For one so young he has the poise of a one much older.  I can't wait to see what's ahead for this young man!  Jaron Tibbs is one of the best wide receivers in the state of Indiana.  I've said this all year, but he really come up big on the big stage, so to speak.  And he's only a junior!  Jaron is also a pretty fair basketball player.  The defense bent but didn't break.  The Eagles presented some things that made it difficult to defend.  Very diversified, although once they fell behind they became a bit more one dimensional.

I don't worry much about those who dislike the Irish because they win too much.  I've seen race drivers booed because they have won too much.  It's sort of a badge of honor.  Winning at Cathedral comes at a price for the players.  It's a year long process as they just don't just show up in August expecting to play well.  They will be back in the weight room in a couple of weeks preparing for a new challenge next season.

It's always good to see old friends at the Finals and during the season.  At my age I've made a lot of friends over the years, and I feel lucky to still be able to get to the games and cheer the guys on.

One criticism of the process.  The IHSAA may consider starting the games at 11am as it got real late on us last night.  I didn't get home until after midnight, and I live relatively close to LOS, maybe 20 minutes away at the most.  I would never suggest shortening the after game ceremony because the teams deserve that.

The biggest downer is that the football season is over.  It will be a long dry spell for us.  This season seemed to fly by.  I hope to be back in the stands in August, and I hope to see a lot of Irish fans out there too.

One more thing.  I'd like to give a shout out to the Irish bagpiper, Robert Wood.  He adds a very unique touch to the Irish, leading them on the field before the games.

I feel a nap coming on!

I got a propsle that would actually make it more likely that Cathedral wins more state titles and would stop the late night game for you. Ihsaa could created a PP class for the P/Ps and the championship game would be the first game at 9am. I would be 100% behind this win win for Cathedral.

2 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

I feel a nap coming on!

One question. I know that Cathedral has an on campus practice field. Why not build that into a stadium? Is it a zoning issue? Chatard used to have that problem, but eventually got their stadium built. It can't be funding, not with all of the deep pockets that some of the alums have and the cost of sending a kid to attend.

12 hours ago, Boilerup said:

Cathedral should always be 6A period.

Greg Rakestraw mentioned several times during the broadcast that it was not set that both Z'ville and the Irish would move up to 6A next season. I thought that, regardless of what they do about enrollment again next year, that the success factor still comes into play. Thus, Cathedral moves up to 6A, most surely in the south region, possibly in Sectional 8, which only had three teams this year, meaning the Irish and CG in the same sectional.

1 hour ago, Footballking16 said:

Westfield will probably disagree with you on being the 2nd toughest team the Irish have played but at the same time the Cathedral offense has come a long way since week 1. 

Westfield has reason to....its seems like a year ago Cathedral played Westfield.  Best of luck to the Rocks, I feel like a great game is brewing.

Edited by Sports Freak20

1 hour ago, Dave007 said:

Was around a couple thousand for cutoff cusp.  I think Harrison's moving up to 6A as well next year as they just passed Jeff in enrollment to make them the largest school in the Lafayette/West Lafayette area. 

1 hour ago, Dave007 said:

Someone else will probably have to be relied on for a more accurate answer (I haven’t set foot in IN for 10+ years & simply don’t follow it that closely), but here’s how I understand it: Z-vile & maybe even Cathedral were considered to be bumped up a class in the last season or two, but due to CV, that decision was tabled. A reasonable conclusion. It is likely - although still undecided as of last night, based on what the announcers said - Zionsville will go to 6A next year. 

ZCHS used to alternate between the biggest school in 2A or the smallest in 3A & now they’ve taken their bouncing game up to the two biggest classes… but it definitely seems 6A is where they’re headed for a more permanent classification. Short of any unplanned consolidations or other surprise enrollment +s elsewhere, of course. 🤷‍♂️ 

2 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

Yes I guess I was looking at it based on the time we played them vs. how good they are now two months later in the season.

Should be a good one tonight, I am pulling for Westfield for the upset.

1 hour ago, WestfieldRocks said:

Greg Rakestraw mentioned several times during the broadcast that it was not set that both Z'ville and the Irish would move up to 6A next season. I thought that, regardless of what they do about enrollment again next year, that the success factor still comes into play. Thus, Cathedral moves up to 6A, most surely in the south region, possibly in Sectional 8, which only had three teams this year, meaning the Irish and CG in the same sectional.

IHSAA claimed last year a "null year" with COVID thus making this the first year of the Success Factor cycle. Whether that holds any water as they evaluate next season is simply a wait-and-see for the Irish faithful. We'll have a little drop-off, but not much. And our freshmen class is our most talented since this senior class. So, wherever they want us, we'll rally. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

IHSAA claimed last year a "null year" with COVID thus making this the first year of the Success Factor cycle. Whether that holds any water as they evaluate next season is simply a wait-and-see for the Irish faithful. We'll have a little drop-off, but not much. And our freshmen class is our most talented since this senior class. So, wherever they want us, we'll rally. 

Agreed 100%. We will be down a bit next year (particularly on D), however there are plenty of talented Sophomores and Juniors who will step up next year and the Irish will be just fine.  Tons of offensive players returning next year....

1 hour ago, Azi said:

Someone else will probably have to be relied on for a more accurate answer (I haven’t set foot in IN for 10+ years & simply don’t follow it that closely), but here’s how I understand it: Z-vile & maybe even Cathedral were considered to be bumped up a class in the last season or two, but due to CV, that decision was tabled. A reasonable conclusion. It is likely - although still undecided as of last night, based on what the announcers said - Zionsville will go to 6A next year. 

ZCHS used to alternate between the biggest school in 2A or the smallest in 3A & now they’ve taken their bouncing game up to the two biggest classes… but it definitely seems 6A is where they’re headed for a more permanent classification. Short of any unplanned consolidations or other surprise enrollment +s elsewhere, of course. 🤷‍♂️ 

16 minutes ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

Based on enrollment numbers, Zionsville was showing in 6A/5A back in the 2019-2020 and 2020-2021 classification PDF:

https://www.ihsaa.org/Portals/0/ihsaa/documents/quick resources/Enrollments & Classifications/football schools 19-20.pdf

Don't know what Zionsville's new numbers look like now, but they were on that 5A/6A bubble without SF back in .

image.thumb.png.d5117f3ca0e8e8b2ba5154bd1bd2a674.png

Edited by foxbat

1 hour ago, Major said:

Back to the game, I did not know that a live ball foul and a dead ball foul could offset. There was a hold called and a personal foul late hit called and them called offsetting penalties. Is that correct?

You are correct, but in speaking with the crew afterward, and reviewing that play, they felt that the contact on the QB occurred before his butt hit the turf on the slide, so they ruled it a live ball foul.