Jump to content
The Gridiron Digest

5A State Championship - Cathedral-Zionsville (pt 2)


Recommended Posts

It will be interesting to see how these two teams react if the game is close as both have won every playoff game thus far in blowout fashion.

I get the hint from a couple of Cathedral fans on here that despite the final scores, they’ve been less than impressive in some facets of the game (defensively).

I am still going with the Irish in this one but as I have more time to think about it I think it’s going to be much closer than people anticipate.

Gimme Cathedral 30-17.

Edited by temptation
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Slobberknocker said:

Playing on turf for a big game is just a ihsaa conspiracy against Cathedral because they believe that big games should be played in the mud at a stadium that has a great tradition such as Arlington middle school.

Cathedral’s record in domed stadiums played on turf is far more impressive than Center Grove’s.

Rent free

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Slobberknocker said:

Playing on turf for a big game is just a ihsaa conspiracy against Cathedral because they believe that big games should be played in the mud at a stadium that has a great tradition such as Arlington middle school.

No they only save that for Center Grove and cry baby's like yourself! Nothing better than letting a crybaby about officiating from the 1990's to hurt their feelings with a game on Natural grass.

2 hours ago, temptation said:

It will be interesting to see how these two teams react if the game is close as both have won every playoff game thus far in blowout fashion.

I get the hint from a couple of Cathedral fans on here that despite the final scores, they’ve been less than impressive in some facets of the game (defensively).

I am still going with the Irish in this one but as I have more time to think about it I think it’s going to be much closer than people anticipate.

Gimme Cathedral 30-17.

Not sure what Cathedral fans you have been conversating with. However Defensively is not one of the weaknesses I have observed with Cathedral. They are pretty stout and dominant defensively. On Offense they can have their moments! I am not sure how you can speak about weakness defensively when it literally took until Semi-state before a TD was scored in 1st quarter (including CG) and only a couple games 2nd quarter (even CG didn't score in Q2). In fact the few points they have given up were in 2nd qtr. Most games it is against the number 2's that points are scored. Now offensively they have some bad spots but are up and down. Defensively they seem fast and play well (minus the penalties they get here and there).

Still it will be closer than some may think. More of a defensive battle between the 2 teams if you ask me.

When it comes to closer games, I don't see that being a problem for the Irish with who they have played even though they have blown out teams in the post season.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, temptation said:

It will be interesting to see how these two teams react if the game is close as both have won every playoff game thus far in blowout fashion.

I get the hint from a couple of Cathedral fans on here that despite the final scores, they’ve been less than impressive in some facets of the game (defensively).

I am still going with the Irish in this one but as I have more time to think about it I think it’s going to be much closer than people anticipate.

Gimme Cathedral 30-17.

They've only given up a handful of TDs, across the season, in the first half.  Most of the points scored on Cathedral have been against 2nd/3rd string this season or after the game's been pretty much decided ... Center Grove being the exception.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, foxbat said:

They've only given up a handful of TDs, across the season, in the first half.  Most of the points scored on Cathedral have been against 2nd/3rd string this season or after the game's been pretty much decided ... Center Grove being the exception.

 

I count 10 TDs scored on the first team D in 14 games. This includes 3 in the Center Grove game with one being in garbage time. Zionsville has to score a TD twice on us for this to be a contest. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

I count 10 TDs scored on the first team D in 14 games. This includes 3 in the Center Grove game with one being in garbage time. Zionsville has to score a TD twice on us for this to be a contest. 

Guess I was mistaken.  Maybe it was the offense.

Still think Zionsville has the ability to keep this interesting longer than many folks think.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

I count 10 TDs scored on the first team D in 14 games. This includes 3 in the Center Grove game with one being in garbage time. Zionsville has to score a TD twice on us for this to be a contest. 

I'd couple that with also keeping Cathedral from putting up a couple of quick scores.  Zionsville let Harrison shock them with 21 points in the first quarter and a halftime lead in sectionals.  They were able to have a big second half to subdue Harrison, who just couldn't get anything established in the air, but I think if they were to spot Cathedral three TDs in the first quarter that would pretty much be it for that game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's about time to make the trip downtown.  I hope we have a injury free day.  It's really good to be back to normal, kind of, and we don't have to stand out in the cold waiting to be allowed in LOS.

I hope to see a lot of Irish fans tonight, and I'm sure I'll see some I haven't seen a quite awhile.

GO IRISH!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by PHJIrish
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Bobref said:

So, I’m sitting here watching the teams warm up. I saw Zionsville in person last week and was tremendously impressed. They are really skilled. The teams took the field and my very first thought was, “My God, Cathedral looks big!”

Well good. A big team & an impressive team. Maybe the 5A contest won’t be a snooze-fest like those last two games. 😂 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Zionsville gets opening kickoff, convert a 3rd & 10 on QB scramble, but failed on next 3rd attempt. Vinatieri booms a 50 yd punt. Irish go 3 & out first possession. 

14 minutes ago, dazed and confused said:

Hopefully Zville will keep me awake tonight !

I’m counting on it! 👏 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...