Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

2A State Championship: Mater Dei vs Andrean

9 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

I still don’t understand how a defender can pull off an opponent’s helmet on a tackle - and still the player has to go off for a play. 
If it’s a player safety issue, I don’t see why the tackler is allowed to grab the helmet with no penalty. 

You cannot grab either the facemask or a helmet opening. But there's no rule against grabbing the helmet itself. It is only when the helmet comes off because of illegal action by an opponent that he doesn't have to come out for one play.

Edited by Bobref

15 minutes ago, Bobref said:

You cannot grab either the facemask or a helmet opening. But there's no rule against grabbing the helmet itself. It is only when the helmet comes off because of illegal action by an opponent that he doesn't have to come out for one play.

Thanks for the clarification. It’s the ‘illegal action’ only part that I disagree with - and I know they didn’t ask my opinion.

Perhaps that’s a new defensive strategy? First tackler secure the tackle. Second tackler try to punch the ball loose. Third man headlock the helmet and get the WR/RB out for the next play. (Said tongue in cheek of course.)  

Edited by oldtimeqb

7 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Not much doubt who the best player on the field is today.

Nope.  He has just taken over the game.  Dude strip/sacks the QB one play then punches in the TD on the very next play.  

Is it just me, though, but does Andrean just look bigger across the board?

2 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

I still don’t understand how a defender can pull off an opponent’s helmet on a tackle - and still the player has to go off for a play. 
If it’s a player safety issue, I don’t see why the tackler is allowed to grab the helmet with no penalty. 

Happened in 18. Memorials QB helmet yanked off by kid from WL going for strip sack. I think it ended up being 2nd to last play of the game he had to sit. 

Edited by Screagle

13 minutes ago, CLKeller16 said:

Hey @Bobref, I thought high school football stopped the clock while chains were moving? Noticed a couple times in the second and third quarters where the ref called for a running clock well before the chains were set. I might be mistaken

Those were plays on the sideline that they were telling the white hat that the forward progress was inbounds. They then stopped the clock. Set the chains and restarted the clock

47 minutes ago, CLKeller16 said:

Hey @Bobref, I thought high school football stopped the clock while chains were moving? Noticed a couple times in the second and third quarters where the ref called for a running clock well before the chains were set. I might be mistaken

The clock stops for a first down. If the ball was down inbounds, the R starts the game clock as soon as the box is set, he doesn't wait for the chains. I agree that this particular Referee gets the clock restarted very quickly following a first down. I gave him an upgrade in the postgame debrief for that. Always want to keep the game moving.

16 minutes ago, Bobref said:

The clock stops for a first down. If the ball was down inbounds, the R starts the game clock as soon as the box is set, he doesn't wait for the chains. I agree that this particular Referee gets the clock restarted very quickly following a first down. I gave him an upgrade in the postgame debrief for that. Always want to keep the game moving.

Thanks for the clarification!