Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Dandy Dozen - 12 Takeaways from the Semi state games

20 hours ago, temptation said:

BD should make the semi state annually in the current tournament format.  It should be a formality.

A regular season finale against annual MIC bottom feeder North Central, followed by a bye week and then two gimmes before the regional.

Gimme a break.  State championships are how the BD program measures itself.  Not wins over IPS, Perry Township and suburban schools.

Lol okay dude. They still have to play teams like Carmel and Brownsburg in regionals to get to semi-state. Not exactly pushovers. I know their sectional is a joke and they have the easiest path to semi-state. 

Just because they get blown out by one of the best hs teams Indiana has ever had doesn’t mean their program is down the drain. You act like anyone in the world besides the BD poster on here actually thought BD would win lol. Complete ignorance.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HoosierFB_JG said:

I LOVE Center Grove’s staff, (though my son is a Carmel grad) but I think ignoring how good Brownsburg, Ben Davis and Warren Central will be next week isn’t wise. Young teams all capable of going deep.  Let’s not be fooled though, CG will be a top 5 team, just not my pick.

I don't think anybody is ignoring anything.  I think we will be pretty good next year but haven't really thought much about it.  We will return 6-7 starters (depending on the day) and our JV was undefeated in the MIC.  I'm not making any predictions other than CG will be pretty good next year.

The MIC teams will be back next year.  CG will be strong, but so will BD, WC, and Carmel....that is for sure.  I love what Pat Mallory has done at LN and where that program is going, and LC was playing pretty darn tough at the end of the season.  I don't count out NC returning and if Pike can ever figure it out with their talent, look out.  There will be more parity in the MIC next year....as you will see some traditional powers get stronger.

7 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

The MIC teams will be back next year.  CG will be strong, but so will BD, WC, and Carmel....that is for sure.  I love what Pat Mallory has done at LN and where that program is going, and LC was playing pretty darn tough at the end of the season.  I don't count out NC returning and if Pike can ever figure it out with their talent, look out.  There will be more parity in the MIC next year....as you will see some traditional powers get stronger.

LN losing Cooper cannot be ignored.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Bears62 said:

Lol okay dude. They still have to play teams like Carmel and Brownsburg in regionals to get to semi-state. Not exactly pushovers. I know their sectional is a joke and they have the easiest path to semi-state. 

Just because they get blown out by one of the best hs teams Indiana has ever had doesn’t mean their program is down the drain. You act like anyone in the world besides the BD poster on here actually thought BD would win lol. Complete ignorance.

They have to beat Brownsburg OR Carmel, not both.  

Not “headed down the drain” by any means but let’s not pretend they’ve climbed some mountain by beating Brownsburg (perennial November choke artists).

Anyone with a BRAIN picked CG on Friday night.  Only those with an emotional attachment to the BD program or those needing a mental evaluation chose otherwise.

1 minute ago, temptation said:

They have to beat Brownsburg OR Carmel, not both.  

Not “headed down the drain” by any means but let’s not pretend they’ve climbed some mountain by beating Brownsburg (perennial November choke artists).

Anyone with a BRAIN picked CG on Friday night.  Only those with an emotional attachment to the BD program or those needing a mental evaluation chose otherwise.

If Carmel goes back north in the next re-classification they won’t have to beat either one.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, BigBrebeufFan said:

First time, long time here.

Not sure how Brebeuf is under the radar considering they have been a perpetual top 10 team for about a decade now. They would surely have more sectionals and regionals to their name if not for being gerrymandered into the sectionals of hell (seriously, Tri West goes south? Someone find me a map of Lizton -> WestLaf vs Indy -> WestLaf).

Anyways, excited to see if the Brebeuf D front can cause enough pressure to neutralize the GibSo passing attack, and, likewise, if Brebeuf can limit TOs with enough pass pro to attack the GibSo secondary. Could be the game of the weekend!

I’ll hang up and listen.

Can’t wait to watch this game for multiple reasons. Congrats to all teams. 

35 minutes ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

Will the IHSAA put the Irish in 6A? If so, that will change this convo. 

I don't know the precise IHSAA formulary, but given what has been shared publicly, I don't know how they couldn't (wouldn't?) send Cathedral up a class at the next (mathematical) roundtable.  Regardless of fan interpretation (us), I don't think we would grow very old as to CG-Cathedral matchups... but if we did, it would only be a mere matter of time before the balance reset on its own.  

10 hours ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

Will the IHSAA put the Irish in 6A? If so, that will change this convo. 

I sure as hell hope so, no offense to any other schools in 5A....but the Irish in 5A has run its course.  We have larger home crowds during regular season games vs. 6A opponents than we do in 5A playoffs which speaks volumes to how other fans/alumni feel about it!

37 minutes ago, Dave007 said:

I sure as hell hope so, no offense to any other schools in 5A....but the Irish in 5A has run its course.  We have larger home crowds during regular season games vs. 6A opponents than we do in 5A playoffs which speaks volumes to how other fans/alumni feel about it!

Just by enrollment, what class does Cathedral fall into?

2 hours ago, Dave007 said:

Other schools have opted to play "up" a class before (not due to success factory).  Cathedral can voluntarily petition the IHSAA to play up in 6A anytime they want to....why don't they?🤔

2 hours ago, Dave007 said:

Cathedral has the option to petition the IHSAA requesting a promotion to 6A.  They don't have to wait.

Frankly, given the poor overall state of public school competition, all PPs should follow suit and request the one class bump.  

18 hours ago, Bears62 said:

Nice sub-post. You can call me out by name. I was here eating my crow.

The Giants didn't ask for this route. It was given to them, and I'm sure it won't be given to them again in the next cycle.

1 hour ago, BDGiant93 said:

The Giants didn't ask for this route. It was given to them, and I'm sure it won't be given to them again in the next cycle.

Yeah I didn’t remember your username or I would have. I knew you were gonna see it, wasn’t a slight at you.

Not sure if you watched the Andrean/Eastside game or not, but Laban Davis was not the stud I thought he was. He wasn’t even the best QB that played in that game. The young Ballentine was much more impressive, both passing and with his feet. I cannot see Davis generating any significant momentum for Mr. Football after that game, notwithstanding his excellent season. 

On 11/21/2021 at 11:45 AM, ASJCPUMA said:

My take from this post is this...Metro Indy area will dominate the top 2 classes much like the Chicago area dominates Illinois.  While there may be a team now and then that makes it and could win there just seems to be such a big difference in the football from northern Indiana to Indy.  All you heard about up here was Merrillville and look what happened.  Same with Mich City who won the regional in 5A up this way.

I figured whoever won the Brebeuf/West Laf game would get to Indy.  Marian played the Braves very tough but they prevailed.

What creates the big divide between the level of play in Northern vs Southern Indiana?  What are the Northern coaches to do about it? 

4 hours ago, BDGiant93 said:

Then why the hyperbole every November about how this BD team “rises from the ashes” of a poor regular season?

1 hour ago, Wedgebuster said:

What creates the big divide between the level of play in Northern vs Southern Indiana?  What are the Northern coaches to do about it? 

I think it is more metro Indy and the State of Indiana

North or South once you leave the metro Indy are for the larger schools is the big difference

7 hours ago, HHF said:

Cathedral has the option to petition the IHSAA requesting a promotion to 6A.  They don't have to wait.

Frankly, given the poor overall state of public school competition, all PPs should follow suit and request the one class bump.  

According to Kyle's story in Indy Star today, Cathedral will be in 6A next two seasons.  Regardless if they win or lose on Friday.  Portion of the story is below.  Love the comment about Dec game 🐵

Rematches in state finals

It sort of seemed inevitable all season, did it not? Rematches in Class 6A (Center Grove vs. Westfield) and 5A (Cathedral vs. Zionsville) in the state finals. I would expect a closer game than Center Grove’s 38-14 win over Westfield last year. Zionsville did hang with Cathedral, sort of, last year in a 46-28 Irish win.

If Center Grove and Cathedral both win, can we set up a rematch on Dec. 3? At Arlington, for all the marbles.

Here’s something interesting to remember, too: Cathedral will be moving up to Class 6A for the next two years via the tournament success factor.

Call Star reporter Kyle Neddenriep at (317) 444-6649.