Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Dandy Dozen - 12 Takeaways from the Semi state games

8 hours ago, US31 said:

Other schools have opted to play "up" a class before (not due to success factory).  Cathedral can voluntarily petition the IHSAA to play up in 6A anytime they want to....why don't they?🤔

Who "opted" to play up?  Seriously, I am not aware of a school that did this.

1 hour ago, Yuccaguy said:

Mishawaka elected to play “up” at the inception of the success factor. When 5A and 6A split it effectively watered down 5A to the max degree. Traditionl 4A powers like Cathedral, Dwenger, Columbus East, Roncalli, etc were still in 4A when Mishawaka elected to play up. 4A was much tougher than 5A before teams started to cycle up.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Yuccaguy said:

When the playoffs were begun in 1973, Cathedral "opted" to play up.  They played at the top level and made it to the finals in 1973 and 1976, losing both games.

And I sure enjoy the "love" temptation has for my irish.😉

Edited by PHJIrish

1 hour ago, Footballking16 said:

Mishawaka elected to play “up” at the inception of the success factor. When 5A and 6A split it effectively watered down 5A to the max degree. Traditionl 4A powers like Cathedral, Dwenger, Columbus East, Roncalli, etc were still in 4A when Mishawaka elected to play up. 4A was much tougher than 5A before teams started to cycle up.

No wonder they opted to play up. Why would they want to be in the same class as Dwenger, Roncalli, and Cathedral?

4 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

I truly appreciate all the attention given to my Cathedral Irish.  We're a small school with a pretty good football team and tradition.

Lol, poor little Cathedral. 

Edited by BTF
Additional wording

1 hour ago, PHJIrish said:

When the playoffs were begun in 1973, Cathedral "opted" to play up.  They played at the top level and made it to the finals in 1973 and 1976, losing both games.

So admirable.  You think about me much more than I think about Cathedral.  You should really let your spouse know about us.

9 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

Had not heard they opted to play up in those years. Scecina was a smaller school than Cathedral and they were a 3A team.

16 hours ago, temptation said:

Then why the hyperbole every November about how this BD team “rises from the ashes” of a poor regular season?

Because they did. After sitting 2-5, they finished in the Semi-State.

Was the schedule favorable? Yes. No question. I don't need a mental evaluation, I believe, as you sub posted about me earlier, but the Giants waxed Brownsburg in the Regional when some thought they would be defeated there. 

10 hours ago, BTF said:

No wonder they opted to play up. Why would they want to be in the same class as Dwenger, Roncalli, and Cathedral?

Perhaps the same reason why Cathedral doesn't volunteer to play two classes up with Center Grove, Warren, Carmel, etc?

Much more practical way of looking at things when the shoe is on the other foot isn't it?

1 hour ago, Irishman said:

Had not heard they opted to play up in those years. Scecina was a smaller school than Cathedral and they were a 3A team.

I'm not sure the size of Scecina in that time span, but Cathedral's enrollment was down in the early 1970's and when the Brothers of Holy Cross left, Cathedral was scheduled to close until RV Welch and some other lay people saved it and moved it to its present location in 1976.  It also changed from all male to co-ed at that time.  Even now the male enrollment is much lower than when I attended Cathedral in the late 50's and early 60's.  We had more than 900 young men when I went to Cathedral.

10 hours ago, temptation said:

So admirable.  You think about me much more than I think about Cathedral.  You should really let your spouse know about us.

You're actually the stalker, I'm just the stalkee.😉

You really do have an inflated view of your high school football knowledge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, BTF said:

Lol, poor little Cathedral. 

Oh, Cathedral isn't poor, but it is small compared to the mega schools in 6A.  Cathedral has many wonderful and generous benefactors.

1 hour ago, BDGiant93 said:

Because they did. After sitting 2-5, they finished in the Semi-State.

Was the schedule favorable? Yes. No question. I don't need a mental evaluation, I believe, as you sub posted about me earlier, but the Giants waxed Brownsburg in the Regional when some thought they would be defeated there. 

Yeah, good call.  I mean you resorted to "Well, Tech had a winning record, lol."

Yes, the Brownsburg win was impressive but its BEN DAVIS man.  With the way their schedule is back loaded, they are going to give you that warm and fuzzy feeling every November until realignment occurs.

It'd be like Alabama, playing their SEC schedule first, and then closing the season with Charleston Southern, Wofford and The Citadel before the SEC championship game and then citing those performances as an honest evaluation of their season.

4 minutes ago, temptation said:

Yeah, good call.  I mean you resorted to "Well, Tech had a winning record, lol."

Yes, the Brownsburg win was impressive but its BEN DAVIS man.  With the way their schedule is back loaded, they are going to give you that warm and fuzzy feeling every November until realignment occurs.

It'd be like Alabama, playing their SEC schedule first, and then closing the season with Charleston Southern, Wofford and The Citadel before the SEC championship game and then citing those performances as an honest evaluation of their season.

It's not BD's fault that NC was down this year (two years ago, BD beat NC to clinch a share of the MIC with NC). LC was coming on strong. The Sectional is the Sectional, and Tech did have a winning record. You can look it up if you need to. They were 6-5 this year. That was factual. 

6 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

It's not BD's fault that NC was down this year (two years ago, BD beat NC to clinch a share of the MIC with NC). LC was coming on strong. The Sectional is the Sectional, and Tech did have a winning record. You can look it up if you need to. They were 6-5 this year. That was factual. 

I wouldn’t lose sleep over someone who probably believes he is the commissioner of the IHSAA, but deep down inside he’s glad he’s not because then he can dream of how much better he would be as a Commissioner.  You can’t say anything to him without him ripping you to shreds.  Some of us have actual jobs and don’t have all day to be on a high school football forum.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Perhaps the same reason why Cathedral doesn't volunteer to play two classes up with Center Grove, Warren, Carmel, etc?

Much more practical way of looking at things when the shoe is on the other foot isn't it?

Lol. Comparing Cathedral to Mishawaka? Both comical and disgraceful. 

54 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Yet in the past 20 years, Cathedral has willingly scheduled *checks notes* these 6A powers: Center Grove, Carmel, Westfield, Ben Davis, Brownsburg, Warren Central.... and these out of state powers: Elder, St. X, Moeller, LaSalle, Brother Rice, Louisville Trinity, St. Edwards, East St. Louis. 

Comparing Mishawaka's situation to Cathedral's is laughable. I have massive amounts of respect for Cathedral and believe they should only be in 6A if they move up to the Success Factor, but if there's one team that should volunteer to play up, it's Cathedral. 

Edited by MICFan34
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, PHJIrish said:

Oh, Cathedral isn't poor, but it is small compared to the mega schools in 6A.  Cathedral has many wonderful and generous benefactors.

Yeah, but with the metro area that they have to draw from, isn't their football program comparable to a school with a 5000+ enrollment? Great program for sure. Much respect for the Irish, but we have to acknowledge that their resources are more than abundant in terms of the quality of kid that comes to play for their program. It's pretty hard to intelligently compare them to 4a public school. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, MICFan34 said:

Yet in the past 20 years, Cathedral has willingly scheduled *checks notes* these 6A powers: Center Grove, Carmel, Westfield, Ben Davis, Brownsburg, Warren Central.... and these out of state powers: Elder, St. X, Moeller, LaSalle, Brother Rice, Louisville Trinity, St. Edwards, East St. Louis. 

Comparing Mishawaka's situation to Cathedral's is laughable. 

Cathedral takes full advantage of the IHSAA's archaic playoff format. You think Cathedral is scheduling all those teams in a given year if forced to qualify for the 5A tournament, let alone 6A? Cathedral could go 0-9 playing all those teams and it doesn't jeopardize their postseason chances.

You're crazy if you think Cathedral would volunteer to play up two classes just because a few anonymous posters on a message board think it's the noble thing to do. 

Mishawaka elected to play in 5A to duck teams like Cathedral and Dwenger before they were cycled up. Cathedral plays those schools in the REGULAR season because it doesn't affect their postseason chances in the least of ways. Huge difference. 

Edited by Footballking16
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, HoosierFB_JG said:

I wouldn’t lose sleep over someone who probably believes he is the commissioner of the IHSAA, but deep down inside he’s glad he’s not because then he can dream of how much better he would be as a Commissioner.  You can’t say anything to him without him ripping you to shreds.  Some of us have actual jobs and don’t have all day to be on a high school football forum.

Mr. Commissioner to you.