Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Kickoff fair catch

PHJIrish

Question

This really isn't a question but an observation.  Twice during the playoffs, including once last night, a kick returner signaled for a fair catch at about the five yard line.  I guess they've been watching too much "next level" ball expecting the ball to be put in play at the 20 yard line.  It's up to the coaches to have their players up on the rules.

10 answers to this question

18 minutes ago, PHJIrish said:

This really isn't a question but an observation.  Twice during the playoffs, including once last night, a kick returner signaled for a fair catch at about the five yard line.  I guess they've been watching too much "next level" ball expecting the ball to be put in play at the 20 yard line.  It's up to the coaches to have their players up on the rules.

That is hilarious. Haven’t seen that yet. Maybe next weekend ? 😂😅😆

Just now, Bobref said:

That is hilarious. Haven’t seen that yet. Maybe next weekend ? 😂😅😆

It's happened twice this playoff and both times the receiving team was in a deep deficit.  I sort of feel sorry for the young men as they just didn't know the rule.

6 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

Hell even you don’t know the “next level” rules

8 hours ago, Huge Football Fan said:

No you don’t! They would get it at the 25 not the 20

The high school rule for a touchback is the ball placed at the 20 yard line.  Next level, pro and college the ball would be placed at the 25.  There is no fair catch rule in high school football.  The ball is placed at the spot the receiver catches it.

On 11/20/2021 at 11:58 PM, Huge Football Fan said:

Hell even you don’t know the “next level” rules

18 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

I don't know a lot of things, but I know that rule.😉

Yep!

9 hours ago, Huge Football Fan said:

No you don’t! They would get it at the 25 not the 20

54 minutes ago, PHJIrish said:

The high school rule for a touchback is the ball placed at the 20 yard line.  Next level, pro and college the ball would be placed at the 25.  There is no fair catch rule in high school football.  The ball is placed at the spot the receiver catches it.

Look at you two, getting all “rulesy” on us!