Jump to content
The Gridiron Digest

3A State Championship Game Gibson Southern vs Brebeuf Jesuit


Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, temptation said:

35?  I think you are vastly under estimating the Brebeuf defense.

They haven’t seen anything like Allen but GS hasn’t seen anything like Brebeuf’s defense (not knowing much about South Warren admittedly).

Brebeuf’s D held opponents not named Cathedral to nearly two TD’s per game fewer than their season average if my math is correct.

GS will score but I’d be shocked if they got 35.

I think you’re right to say this…but yes…South Warren.  That team was loaded and had 3/4 D1 players on defense alone I believe including a really good corner.  But outside of that, Brebeuf likely the next best defense GS will have faced this year.

 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Screagle said:

How does Brebeuf compare to 2017? Their defense was stout in 17. Offense was good but nothing great. Never felt like they could take over offensively in 17. Had some dudes up front on D.  MLB was an an animal.  

There were a lot of *really, really* good LBs and DBs on that 2017 team. Jay Higgins (now at Iowa) was in the middle and flanked by several multi-year starters. This year’s crop at LB is still awfully talented but not quite at the same level, imo.

DL is definitely better with this 2021 team. Strickland obviously gets the most attention, but Childers is without a doubt an all-state player at DE based on production and talent. Zhang and Petrie are both pretty good as the interior linemen.

Offensively, it’s a bit of a toss up talent-wise. OL had more size+experience in 17, and that team had a couple of game changers in Wright (who is probably the best slot WR and return man I’ve ever seen… at least in 3a) and Pressler who was a mismatch at 6’6. The 21 team has two pretty dominant WR with Annee and Walters. I don’t ever recall seeing too many teams having 2 WR each 1k yards and 10+ touchdowns. Both are capable of scoring any time they touch the ball. I also think it’s fair to say that the passing concepts in 21 are more sophisticated and better executed compared to 17. I think the edge goes to 21 for offense.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have seen both of these teams in person. Up front on the lines pretty even on both sides.  Secondary going to have to give the edge to GS. Way more physical.  This game is going to come down to turnovers.  I will give that edge to GS. For one reason. The Secondary they get 2+ Int.  Why do I think this you Ask? The braves Qb stairs down where he's going to throw. On almost every play. And with the way GS secondary brakes on the ball. I believe that will be the difference. Gs wins by 10.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, temptation said:

35?  I think you are vastly under estimating the Brebeuf defense.

They haven’t seen anything like Allen but GS hasn’t seen anything like Brebeuf’s defense (not knowing much about South Warren admittedly).

Brebeuf’s D held opponents not named Cathedral to nearly two TD’s per game fewer than their season average if my math is correct.

GS will score but I’d be shocked if they got 35.

I'm not saying that it will be a blowout.  I believe it will be close, I would just offer that BJ corners likely haven't dealt with anything quite like this.  The offense  moves the ball  quick, and they score quick.  When coach says, "you can't allow the big plays", the problem with that is that is what they do, all the time.  "We got to keep their offense off the field".  Again, they can score 50+ in 15 minutes.  GS is not Cathedral....I'm not delusional, but they are really, really impressive and a crap ton of fun to watch (unless they are playing us).

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Although Allen has improved his mobility greatly, I don't think Brebeuf can keep it close unless their DBs can stick with the WR long enough to allow the DL and LBs to get some pressure. A few hits early might help too.  Brebeuf is going to have to take some chances IMO.    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, tango said:

Would "first score" be more or less likely this time around?

Only if it’s a pick 6 or scoop and score…or fire call on a field goal…lol

and he’ll be in attendance wearing maroon and gold for the first time in his life.  A bet is a bet!

Edited by Titan20
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Has GS played in Lucas Oil before? I seem to remember some PAC schools playing a regular season game there in recent memory. Against North Posey maybe? 

I’m pulling for the Titans but the logistics of this week show how much of a disadvantage the southern schools are for the state finals. 

Losing a full day of recovery and prep with traveling to Indy last Saturday and a Friday game this week.  Monday meetings - Coach and captains attend and have to high tail it back for practice. It’s a 7-8 hour commitment if you want to practice at LOS during the week. Trying to figure out if an early start Friday is better than traveling up Thanksgiving night for a hotel stay. 

None of the things affect Indy schools like Brebeuf this year and Chatard last year vs HH. 

Here’s to the Titan will being able to overcome those challenges. Safe travels and good luck. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Titan20 said:

Only if it’s a pick 6 or scoop and score…or fire call on a field goal…lol

and he’ll be in attendance wearing maroon and gold for the first time in his life.  A bet is a bet!

Talk about losing a bet. Could he not choose tar & feathers?

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, oldtimeqb said:

Has GS played in Lucas Oil before? I seem to remember some PAC schools playing a regular season game there in recent memory. Against North Posey maybe? 

I’m pulling for the Titans but the logistics of this week show how much of a disadvantage the southern schools are for the state finals. 

Losing a full day of recovery and prep with traveling to Indy last Saturday and a Friday game this week.  Monday meetings - Coach and captains attend and have to high tail it back for practice. It’s a 7-8 hour commitment if you want to practice at LOS during the week. Trying to figure out if an early start Friday is better than traveling up Thanksgiving night for a hotel stay. 

None of the things affect Indy schools like Brebeuf this year and Chatard last year vs HH. 

Here’s to the Titan will being able to overcome those challenges. Safe travels and good luck. 

Tango probably a better source but I think in 08 and 09 Hurley/EM traveled to Indy for the team practice. 2017, 18, and 19 they chose not to waste a day practicing at LOS.    Tried to keep the week as normal as possible. EM did stay in hotel each of their 5 trips. Not sure there is a right way to do it. I’m sure all coaches have different philosophy’s on how to approach this week. What a nice advantage the teams around Indy have. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

Has GS played in Lucas Oil before? I seem to remember some PAC schools playing a regular season game there in recent memory. Against North Posey maybe? 

I’m pulling for the Titans but the logistics of this week show how much of a disadvantage the southern schools are for the state finals. 

Losing a full day of recovery and prep with traveling to Indy last Saturday and a Friday game this week.  Monday meetings - Coach and captains attend and have to high tail it back for practice. It’s a 7-8 hour commitment if you want to practice at LOS during the week. Trying to figure out if an early start Friday is better than traveling up Thanksgiving night for a hotel stay. 

None of the things affect Indy schools like Brebeuf this year and Chatard last year vs HH. 

Here’s to the Titan will being able to overcome those challenges. Safe travels and good luck. 

Gibson Southern played Henderson County (Ky) at LOS a few years back I believe…but I don’t think anyone on the team was in HS when it happened….maybe Brady and a few of the others were there because their older brothers were playing.

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Gibson Southern played Henderson County (Ky) at LOS a few years back I believe…but I don’t think anyone on the team was in HS when it happened….maybe Brady and a few of the others were there because their older brothers were playing.

 

 

I would bet more than a few were there . The administration honored our youth league, TYFL,  at halftime.  I bet 55 or more players listed on the current roster walked the sideline at halftime that day as youngsters. 

Edited by Titan76
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Titan76 said:

I would bet more than a few were there . The administration honored our youth league, TYFL,  at halftime.  I bet 55 or more players listed on the current roster walked the sideline at halftime that day as youngsters. 

Oh yeah that’s right! I forgot about that little bit 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/23/2021 at 10:34 PM, CheapSeats said:

I saw that Gibson practiced at the Colts facility today.  Why did they not practice at Lucas Oil? I know teams have the option to practice at Lucas Oil if they want......any insight Titan fans? 

They WILL practice at LOS...not sure of the time, and fans are NOT allowed.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If anyone has been having streaming issues like me on the Bash, and not able to watch today, I noticed Walt Ferber with WITZ (Jasper station) will be on the call for this one as well. 
 

https://www.witzamfm.com/

WITZ is on TuneIn Radio too. 

Bring it home Titans!

Edited by HereComesTheBoom
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/22/2021 at 7:07 PM, BigBrebeufFan said:

There were a lot of *really, really* good LBs and DBs on that 2017 team. Jay Higgins (now at Iowa) was in the middle and flanked by several multi-year starters. This year’s crop at LB is still awfully talented but not quite at the same level, imo.

DL is definitely better with this 2021 team. Strickland obviously gets the most attention, but Childers is without a doubt an all-state player at DE based on production and talent. Zhang and Petrie are both pretty good as the interior linemen.

Offensively, it’s a bit of a toss up talent-wise. OL had more size+experience in 17, and that team had a couple of game changers in Wright (who is probably the best slot WR and return man I’ve ever seen… at least in 3a) and Pressler who was a mismatch at 6’6. The 21 team has two pretty dominant WR with Annee and Walters. I don’t ever recall seeing too many teams having 2 WR each 1k yards and 10+ touchdowns. Both are capable of scoring any time they touch the ball. I also think it’s fair to say that the passing concepts in 21 are more sophisticated and better executed compared to 17. I think the edge goes to 21 for offense.

Welcome to the GID.  Brebeuf hasn’t had many posters here since Coach G left for Michigan.

Nice summary.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...