Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Which programs do the most with less

1 hour ago, BTF said:

I'll throw Pioneer out there. Possibly the best program, pound for pound, in the state of Indiana. Only 288 students. 

I'm not sure what we're using for measuring more with less, but I'm going to go outside the box and say Indiana School for the Deaf.  In addition to traditional issues associated with fielding teams, toss in academics plus hearing-impairments ... classroom-related, field-related, and life-related ... and then throw in that the school has 121 students.  Hats off to the families, admin, and kids for making it happen!

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, temptation said:

This is going to be controversial but I’ll say CG.  Punching above their weight in the MIC when you look at enrollment compared to the rest of the conference/6A.

I have no issues with Center Grove being on the list. They're on a pretty good run despite being half the size of the largest school in their class and 700 students shy of eight other schools. 

How about New Pal and what they've done sitting at 1175? That's right up their with Pioneer in my opinion. One thing the Dragons have done that Pioneer hasn't though, is beat opponents 3-4 times their enrollment. 

Edited by BTF
correction
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, BTF said:

I have no issues with Center Grove being on the list. They're on a pretty good run despite being half the size of the largest school in their class and 700 students shy of eight other schools. 

How about New Pal and what they've done sitting at 1175? That's right up their with Pioneer in my opinion. One thing the Dragons have done that Pioneer hasn't though, is beat opponents 3-4 times their enrollment. 

Who did New Pal beat with an enrollment of 3600+?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, temptation said:

Who did New Pal beat with an enrollment of 3600+?

Apparently they didn't. But for a few years, it was widely accepted that they were better than programs 3-4 times their enrollment. 

3 hours ago, Bobref said:

Pioneer enrollment     283

Chesterton enrollment  2,063

August 28, 2020    Pioneer 20      Chesterton 16

Six times their enrollment, good catch. 

9 hours ago, BTF said:

I'll throw Pioneer out there. Possibly the best program, pound for pound, in the state of Indiana. Only 288 students. 

LCC would be in that same group as they are at 287 by last count.

I did a quick look at 1A a couple of years ago and, oddly enough, the schools in the lower half of 1A held 12 of the 20 spots available at LOS over the past 10 years compared to those that were in the upper half.  The lower half teams also had 8 blue rings to show for it.  Furthermore, when a school in the lower half played a team in the upper half, the larger team only prevailed once ... Linton over Pioneer in 2017.

Great topic. A good place to start looking at data is IHSAA enrollment numbers and then John Harrell’s website  on the “combined yearly records” page. Going back as far as the data goes, which is 1984 here are the results.

988D2D31-215D-4FB0-AA0F-8F14AF1C8C3A.thumb.jpeg.26afb0ba916c5d5d7c027f5d6b6a87e0.jpeg

The smallest schools on the list are Linton, Eastbrook, and Tipton. This data speaks volumes for those programs. To be in the top 20 in winning percentage of all schools in Indiana in the last 38 seasons, is quite a statement. I imagine a lot of people will argue for Mater Dei, Andrean, and Chatard, but there is no way a private parochial belongs in this conversation, ever.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Devilpride95 said:

Great topic. A good place to start looking at data is IHSAA enrollment numbers and then John Harrell’s website  on the “combined yearly records” page. Going back as far as the data goes, which is 1984 here are the results.

988D2D31-215D-4FB0-AA0F-8F14AF1C8C3A.thumb.jpeg.26afb0ba916c5d5d7c027f5d6b6a87e0.jpeg

The smallest schools on the list are Linton, Eastbrook, and Tipton. This data speaks volumes for those programs. To be in the top 20 in winning percentage of all schools in Indiana in the last 38 seasons, is quite a statement. I imagine a lot of people will argue for Mater Dei, Andrean, and Chatard, but there is no way a private parochial belongs in this conversation, ever.

I’m gonna play devil’s advocate a bit here…

The three areas of the state in which those three aforementioned schools play are annually weak as evidenced by their schedule strength on Sagarin.

If memory serves me correctly, Linton just could not get over the hump in the tournament for so many years and the knock was their schedule strength.

They then put Monrovia on the schedule and won the state title.

I know you can only play the teams in front of you but you could also make the same argument about other teams on that list.

Penn, Brownstown, East Central and West Lafayette stand out to me.

Edited by temptation

2 hours ago, RingLeader said:

Pioneer had Mr Football who is killing it at Notre Dame and then had the state’s 100 meter champ and his brother who were ridiculous athletes 

Where does the “less” come in to play

Kiser's a heck of an athlete, but Pioneer's been a staple in 1A football for a while.  The thing that has hidden that is that LCC and Pioneer have met so often, typically early in the post-season, and ended each other's seasons when they've both been highly-ranked.  Those two teams have ended each other's seasons 12 times in the last two decades and, in four of those years, they didn't even have an opportunity to play because one or the other was in 2A via SF while the other was still in 1A.  Over those two decades, those two teams also ended up at LOS ten times.  They were ranked #1/#2 at the same time in 1A in four of those seasons ... in essence, the #1/#2 meeting in 1A occurred in a section or regional between the two of them.  Pioneer's been ranked in the Top 10 1A final poll in 16 of the last 20 seasons and #1 six times ... and that's with three of those seasons hanging out in 2A.  By contrast, LCC's only finished Top 10 1A final poll in 11 of the last 20 seasons and #1 four times ... likewise, with three of those hanging out in 2A.  I think Pioneer easily deserves the "more with less" consideration.

Edited by foxbat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, jets said:

Focusing solely on enrollment discrepancies is a little short sighted. Free/reduced and other socioeconomic factors would probably be a better place to start. 

Couldn’t agree more.

Who are the teams who are in the bottom half of their class in terms of enrollment, are public, have a free and reduced lunch percentage over the state average (roughly 50 percent), have a schedule strength in the top half of the state and have a winning record annually?

There’s your answer.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, jets said:

Focusing solely on enrollment discrepancies is a little short sighted. Free/reduced and other socioeconomic factors would probably be a better place to start. 

Pioneer's FRL is roughly around 42%.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, temptation said:

Couldn’t agree more.

Who are the teams who are in the bottom half of their class in terms of enrollment, are public, have a free and reduced lunch percentage over the state average (roughly 50 percent), have a schedule strength in the top half of the state and have a winning record annually?

There’s your answer.

Columbus East 🙂. Bottom half of 5A in enrollment, I believe actually one of the smallest, fringe 4A enrollment, public, not sure about reduced or free lunch. We were turrrrrrrrrrrrrible this year tho 😂

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Olympian06 said:

Columbus East 🙂. Bottom half of 5A in enrollment, I believe actually one of the smallest, fringe 4A enrollment, public, not sure about reduced or free lunch. We were turrrrrrrrrrrrrible this year tho 😂

CE's tracking around 33% FRL.  For comparison, that's roughly around Mooresville, Monrovia, Tipton, and South Adams.