Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Officials Rating

Dirty D

Question

On the officials rating that was just released, is that a crew rating or an individual rating.

I am curious as votes were received from votes from 30 schools of the 48 we could have because of games being cancelled due to Covid. Our overall ranking was a 3.727. We received only one 1 vote and since we do not know who that was how much does that affect us. Reason I ask we had 5 votes from schools we have never ever officiating. I did not think that was possible anymore.

How many crews were needed for the first round of sectional. I count minus the 6A there were about 132 games on October 22. The ranking I am looking at for me (our crew?) is 128. Can someone explain why we did everything we needed, recieved votes from over half the schools, only one 1 vote, and did not get sectional.

This is part of the problem. And as I look at the crews it is the same people year year year out. That is why it feels like the good ole boys club.

10 answers to this question

9 hours ago, Dirty D said:

On the officials rating that was just released, is that a crew rating or an individual rating.

I am curious as votes were received from votes from 30 schools of the 48 we could have because of games being cancelled due to Covid. Our overall ranking was a 3.727. We received only one 1 vote and since we do not know who that was how much does that affect us. Reason I ask we had 5 votes from schools we have never ever officiating. I did not think that was possible anymore.

How many crews were needed for the first round of sectional. I count minus the 6A there were about 132 games on October 22. The ranking I am looking at for me (our crew?) is 128. Can someone explain why we did everything we needed, recieved votes from over half the schools, only one 1 vote, and did not get sectional.

This is part of the problem. And as I look at the crews it is the same people year year year out. That is why it feels like the good ole boys club.

There were only 124 games played on October 22nd.

It's not the 1 votes that hurt you. It's the volume of 5 votes and distribution of 2-4 votes. To advance to a sectional final you generally need as many 5 votes as the others combined. At 128 you were very close to getting a first round game. The rating is for the crew and only the crew chief has access to it. The highest and lowest score are thrown out (more based on the volume of votes, but I'm not sure when that starts to increase) so your 1 was thrown out.

There are only 140ish crews applying so you are obviously going to see a lot of the same names. From what I can tell there were 10 or 12 crews that worked the first round that didn't work last year so nearly 10% were different from last year. Many of those were likely crews last year with just a crew chief change. In the regional and beyond half the guidelines indicate half the crews are "returning" crews meaning they have worked a state final. Many think that favors the returning crews, but it actually helps the "new" crews. The last couple new crews who get a regional final probably rank lower than the returning crews who don't get a game.

As has been stated many times here the crews who advance benefit from positive votes. Previously they also benefitted from a volume of votes. They likely aren't getting the 80-100 votes they did previously, but they are probably getting close to 45-50 votes which helps. The more votes you get the more likely you are getting 5s because more coaches/ADs know who you are. Having the crew chief work deep into the basketball or possibly baseball tournament is a huge advantage. No matter what they do won't change much as long as the coach vote is the primary factor.

I know a lot of discussion has been woven in to a few different threads surrounding the new limit on 3.5 year history of votes only being allow (basically schools you have worked in 2018+) and how that would effect the overall number of votes a crew received this year. I also recall hearing a school has 5 write in votes even if they have not had that crew since 2018. I am a numbers guy, so I am only here to report our crew's facts:

We received 44 votes this season. We received 53 votes last season (so down 9 votes). Of those 44 votes, we received 4 write in votes (schools we have not worked for during the regular season or post-season, home or away, in 2018 +)

There were 71 schools who were eligible to vote for our crew for this season. These 71 schools we have seen at home or on the road in the regular season or post-season during the 2018 season through when the vote closed for the 2021 season. That means 56.3% of the schools eligible to vote for our crew did cast a vote (40/71).

There were 3 schools who voted for us in 2020, but did not vote in 2021 (and were eligible to vote). 

For the 4 write in votes:

School #1: We had worked at home in 2012, 2013, & 2014, however they had not voted for our crew since 2013. We did have their scrimmage in 2020 at home, but I didn't know if scrimmages count towards "working" the school since they don't go on the tournament application.

School #2: We have never worked, however they have voted for us in 2014, 2017, 2018, 2019, & 2020. But I'm not 100% sure the connection.

School #3: We had worked on the road in 2016, however they have never voted for us until this year. Really weird to have this as a write in vote.

School #4: We have never worked in the regular season.  We did have their scrimmage in 2020, they were the visiting team, but I didn't know if scrimmages count towards "working" the school since they don't go on the tournament application.

Again, just reporting facts. But if you have any questions, feel free to ask. I'll be as transparent as allowed on a public forum. I have kept the history of our votes since our crew came to fruition back in 2008. Our very first year we received 18 votes. The most we've ever received was in 2019 and we received 68 votes that year. 

I believe they were using schedules provided by Arbiter and Eventlink so it's very possible you showed up that way for the scrimmage teams. All of our votes were from schools we have worked since 2018 so we must not have had any write in votes. A couple of them were scrimmage teams but we also had them in regular season games in the past 3 years. If the scrimmage teams were included in the vote, we got votes from 45% of the schools eligible to vote for us. I'm not sure if the schools were told which game we worked. They aren't going to remember the name of every crew who worked each game. It would be very interesting to see the rates of votes crews received. I'm also wondering if the spread of write in votes was different than non-write in votes. I'm assuming most write-ins were positive. Could be a coach or AD who moved to that school were familiar with you. Or they saw you work. Or they are friends with a coach who suggested you were solid crew that earned a positive vote.

As an official, my take away has always been...

Do the best that you can in all aspects of officiating (pre/post season and in season), surround yourself with people that have the same goals as you, and control the "controllables".

Pre/Post Season Work includes, but not limited to...

Weight training/control, cardiovascular activity, rules interpretation study, film study, in person "shadowing", seeking out advice from experienced officials (listen intently), officiating other sports with other officials, networking, etc.

57 minutes ago, DE said:

Do the best that you can in all aspects of officiating (pre/post season and in season), surround yourself with people that have the same goals as you, and control the "controllables".

Weight training/control, cardiovascular activity, rules interpretation study, film study, in person "shadowing", seeking out advice from experienced officials (listen intently), officiating other sports with other officials, networking, etc.

All good ideas.

If you make your only goal to advance deep into the tournament, you are probably misguided. Keep in mind that improving your officiating, and that of your crew, gets you nothing, unless you improve relative to other crews. Playoff assignments are a zero sum game, meaning any move up results in a corresponding move down by someone else. If you are getting better, but so are others, you may not see any movement, even though you’re doing everything right.

1 minute ago, Bobref said:

All good ideas.

If you make your only goal to advance deep into the tournament, you are probably misguided. Keep in mind that improving your officiating, and that of your crew, gets you nothing, unless you improve relative to other crews. Playoff assignments are a zero sum game, meaning any move up results in a corresponding move down by someone else. If you are getting better, but so are others, you may not see any movement, even though you’re doing everything right.

Yep.  This falls directly under, control the "controllables".  Can I control that?  No.  So no need to worry about it.

On 11/29/2021 at 11:17 AM, DE said:

I wish there was a weight/health requirement. I saw a guy in a regional game last year who had to have an extra panel put in his already large shirt and could not bend over to pick up the ball. What was he, the umpire. He kind of dropped it into place. Nice quote about controlling the controllables, but if you are consistently getting screwed and you have no way of controlling it, that is part of the reason we are losing officials. Athletes have to go through a physical to participate and they are restricted games (how many a year etc.) Officials do neither. Basketball is worse. We had a guy at an opposing school Saturday night who work a Varsity game at 12:30. Ended up doing a two quarter JV game and the Varsity game in the same night. 

On 11/29/2021 at 12:19 PM, Bobref said:

All good ideas.

And that is why young officials are getting out. Once you are at the top, you should start over. Spread the wealth

2 minutes ago, Dirty D said:

I wish there was a weight/health requirement. I saw a guy in a regional game last year who had to have an extra panel put in his already large shirt and could not bend over to pick up the ball. What was he, the umpire. He kind of dropped it into place. Nice quote about controlling the controllables, but if you are consistently getting screwed and you have no way of controlling it, that is part of the reason we are losing officials. Athletes have to go through a physical to participate and they are restricted games (how many a year etc.) Officials do neither. Basketball is worse. We had a guy at an opposing school Saturday night who work a Varsity game at 12:30. Ended up doing a two quarter JV game and the Varsity game in the same night. 

And that is why young officials are getting out. Once you are at the top, you should start over. Spread the wealth

Thank you for the response.

The bolded part is still out of my control, so I do not worry about it.  

4 hours ago, DE said:

Thank you for the response.

The bolded part is still out of my control, so I do not worry about it.  

I agree. As Bobref has posted several times, this is a zero-sum game. Anyone who doesn't get assigned will feel the the process is unfair and can show it by leaving. We don't gain anything by using this as a collective justification for changing the process. The same number of officials/crews will be upset. It will just be a different group. I have friends in college and NFL officiating and they complain about their rating and post-season assigning process as well. Yes, the process needs to be updated, but retention of officials is not a primary reason.

The other comment about having to "start over", they technically do. A crew who worked a state final is only eligible for a sectional final the following year just like every other crew. They often return because they are still getting the votes required to advance. Crews that only get 1 or 2 games need to realize the crew working regional and beyond aren't the ones they are "competing" against. They are competing against the crews getting the 2nd round and sectional final games. At that level performance has more of an impact than the number of votes. But there are still a limited number of games and good crews will be excluded no matter what.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1