Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Thoughts about the 6 games in the State Finals

39 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I was pleased to see that the officiating was pretty good for all 6 games. Not perfect, there will always be a few misses. But officiating was a non-factor this weekend, just the way we like it.

Anything particular that you are able to share in this public forum? 

54 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I was pleased to see that the officiating was pretty good for all 6 games. Not perfect, there will always be a few misses. But officiating was a non-factor this weekend, just the way we like it.

Learned A LOT from all 6 crews.  Congrats fellas.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Moshiner1345 said:

Anything particular that you are able to share in this public forum? 

Not really. There were a few misses, but not many. Some outstanding work as well. If you have a question about anything in particular, I’ll try to answer it. But I don’t want to list the few errors I saw, since I’m guessing upwards of 99% of the people who watched didn’t know they were errors.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

The HCC’s #2 was blown out (when it mattered) by the MIC’s #5.

The HCC’s #2 just won its first sectional for the first time in almost 30 years.

Closed the gap? Please.

You are picking and choosing.  Look at the full body of work.  Top to bottom.

16 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Not really. There were a few misses, but not many. Some outstanding work as well. If you have a question about anything in particular, I’ll try to answer it. But I don’t want to list the few errors I saw, since I’m guessing upwards of 99% of the people who watched didn’t know they were errors.

Human nature has fans focusing on the mistakes that go against them rather than vice versa.  Neither side tends to recognize the good calls.  Without thinking too hard about it there are a couple that come to mind -- one for/against each team.  Hauser appeared to catch the ball in-bounds but was signaled out.  I don't think CG had possession of the ball on the alternate possession rule.   Do you remember those plays and do you have any thoughts to share about the calls?

Overall I have no complaints about the officiating and I'm grateful the refs don't get to publicly second guess the coaches.  😉

The one big thing I noticed when watching the 5A & 6A game is the overall size, speed and power of the players on Cathedral. Zionsville, GC and Westfield. Trying to compare to what I see from the players, teams and games I've watched from SAC, NIC and Duneland conferences, they are no where close to what I saw last night and Friday night

3 minutes ago, Grover said:

Human nature has fans focusing on the mistakes that go against them rather than vice versa.  Neither side tends to recognize the good calls.  Without thinking too hard about it there are a couple that come to mind -- one for/against each team.  Hauser appeared to catch the ball in-bounds but was signaled out.  I don't think CG had possession of the ball on the alternate possession rule.   Do you remember those plays and do you have any thoughts to share about the calls?

Overall I have no complaints about the officiating and I'm grateful the refs don't get to publicly second guess the coaches.  😉

I did not get a good look at either play. 

10 minutes ago, Grover said:

Hauser appeared to catch the ball in-bounds but was signaled out.

I could see how they made this call the way they did. 

11 minutes ago, Grover said:

I don't think CG had possession of the ball on the alternate possession rule.

I agree on this one. CG never had complete control of the ball.

46 minutes ago, Grover said:

Curry?  What makes you think that?

My Umpire played at Louisville (D-Line).  I "participated"  at UK (Strong Safety)...  As the 6A game continued, now this is the ONLY time we've seen either team recently....

But we both felt that he needed a more physical approach to the O-Linemen who were double teaming him. Absolutely, Curry was THE BEST DEFENSIVE lineman that we've seen this year, so this is not a knock on him....just an observation of what the situation entailed.  

25 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

I could see how they made this call the way they did. 

I agree on this one. CG never had complete control of the ball.

I'll take the hit on this one!   Only one perfect guy in the world, and I ain't him.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Yuccaguy said:

My Umpire played at Louisville (D-Line).  I "participated"  at UK (Strong Safety)...  As the 6A game continued, now this is the ONLY time we've seen either team recently....

But we both felt that he needed a more physical approach to the O-Linemen who were double teaming him. Absolutely, Curry was THE BEST DEFENSIVE lineman that we've seen this year, so this is not a knock on him....just an observation of what the situation entailed.  

I'll take the hit on this one!   Only one perfect guy in the world, and I ain't him.  

Fair enough on Caden.  He was doing what he was instructed to do within the framework of the team.  He did it very well.  He has other tools such as swimming that he doesn't use.  But he has them.  He is a freakish athlete.  Can't wait to watch him in the coming years.

Amen on the one perfect guy.  No sweat on the missed call.  I just find it interesting hearing what all comes into play but respect the fact that it can devolve into ref-bashing of which I'm not a fan.  Didn't realize you worked the game.  Congratulations.  It's obviously quite an honor.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Grover said:

Fair enough on Caden.  He was doing what he was instructed to do within the framework of the team.  He did it very well.  He has other tools such as swimming that he doesn't use.  But he has them.  He is a freakish athlete.  Can't wait to watch him in the coming years.

Amen on the one perfect guy.  No sweat on the missed call.  I just find it interesting hearing what all comes into play but respect the fact that it can devolve into ref-bashing of which I'm not a fan.  Didn't realize you worked the game.  Congratulations.  It's obviously quite an honor.

And I will admit this. 

It is not now, nor ever would be my position to question a coaching decision, a player's decision or otherwise.  My concern is to officiate the game to the very best of my ability with 4 other guys.  Then hope that nothing we did was a deciding factor in the outcome.  

Grover, you and I have conversed for years.  It's kinda nice to be able to speak with "legacy GID members" in a respectful manner about a game that we all love! 

Westfield is a heck of a program.  Coach Gilbert is a damn machine with his ability to mold them into his image:  Tough, hard-nosed and pressing!  

As for Center Grove....well, I would think that those who anticipating them to lose relevance may be sadly disappointed.  Coach Moore seems to "re-load", not re-construct, IMO.  

As a FW/Northern Indiana guy...I'd like to thank those in the HCC/MIC for allowing us to "make an appearance" in the tournament each year (by rule).  😕

• Like 3

1 hour ago, psaboy said:

The one big thing I noticed when watching the 5A & 6A game is the overall size, speed and power of the players on Cathedral. Zionsville, GC and Westfield. Trying to compare to what I see from the players, teams and games I've watched from SAC, NIC and Duneland conferences, they are no where close to what I saw last night and Friday night

I agree with the size and the athletes.  It will take a special team from elsewhere in the state to compete and beat an Indy area team

11 hours ago, Bobref said:

I felt all the crews did a great job officiating (even if another had an axe to grind because their crew didn't make the finals). Mistakes can and will happen, but even in the mistakes they were not game changing errors IMHO.

9 hours ago, Yuccaguy said:

And I will admit this. 

It is not now, nor ever would be my position to question a coaching decision, a player's decision or otherwise.  My concern is to officiate the game to the very best of my ability with 4 other guys.  Then hope that nothing we did was a deciding factor in the outcome.  

Grover, you and I have conversed for years.  It's kinda nice to be able to speak with "legacy GID members" in a respectful manner about a game that we all love! 

Westfield is a heck of a program.  Coach Gilbert is a damn machine with his ability to mold them into his image:  Tough, hard-nosed and pressing!  

As for Center Grove....well, I would think that those who anticipating them to lose relevance may be sadly disappointed.  Coach Moore seems to "re-load", not re-construct, IMO.  

As a FW/Northern Indiana guy...I'd like to thank those in the HCC/MIC for allowing us to "make an appearance" in the tournament each year (by rule).  😕

Thought your crew did a great job! A lot of terrific athletes on that field. I could tell at times there was good interaction between the players and your crew, which tells me the players had the utmost respect for your crew. Just have to make sure I get your autograph if I ever meet you in person now that you are a television star! Keep up the good work, felt you guys officiated the game near flawless which is all you can ask for!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Bobref said:

A huge miss occurred in the MD/Andrean game.  Andrean up 7-6 with MD driving.  3rd down, MD passes and the Andrean CB grabs/turns the MD receiver almost completely around, no pass interference call.  Instead of 1st and goal from about the 8 yard line, MD settles for a FG to go up 9-7.  IMO, it completely changed the end of the game.  A TD there and MD goes up by a TD (assuming a 2pt conversion).  Changed how the the offense was called for the rest of the game.  Now, could Andrean have marched right down and scored an TD to tie it up?  Absolutely.  But I think MD would have stuck to the run game a bit more late in the game instead of passing so much.  Bowen seemed to have his ears pinned back going after Wunderlich.

Officials miss calls all the time, but to me this was the most egregious all weekend.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wildcat1992 said:

A huge miss occurred in the MD/Andrean game.  Andrean up 7-6 with MD driving.  3rd down, MD passes and the Andrean CB grabs/turns the MD receiver almost completely around, no pass interference call.  Instead of 1st and goal from about the 8 yard line, MD settles for a FG to go up 9-7.  IMO, it completely changed the end of the game.  A TD there and MD goes up by a TD (assuming a 2pt conversion).  Changed how the the offense was called for the rest of the game.  Now, could Andrean have marched right down and scored an TD to tie it up?  Absolutely.  But I think MD would have stuck to the run game a bit more late in the game instead of passing so much.  Bowen seemed to have his ears pinned back going after Wunderlich.

Officials miss calls all the time, but to me this was the most egregious all weekend.

As it so happens, I was the evaluator on the 2A game, and was in a position to get a decent look at that play. I made a note to discuss it with the crew in the postgame debrief. Everyone was in the right position, looking at the right things. The covering official felt that the objectionable contact occurred after the ball was already past the receiver. Without going to the video, I have no reason to question his judgment. Either way, it was a bang-bang play and the classic judgment call. So, if it turns out the objectionable contact was a hair before the ball was past the receiver, I’m not going to fault the official for making his judgment at game speed. Either way, to label that no-call as “egregious” is, well … egregious.

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

As it so happens, I was the evaluator on the 2A game, and was in a position to get a decent look at that play. I made a note to discuss it with the crew in the postgame debrief. Everyone was in the right position, looking at the right things. The covering official felt that the objectionable contact occurred after the ball was already past the receiver. Without going to the video, I have no reason to question his judgment. Either way, it was a bang-bang play and the classic judgment call. So, if it turns out the objectionable contact was a hair before the ball was past the receiver, I’m not going to fault the official for making his judgment at game speed. Either way, to label that no-call as “egregious” is, well … egregious.

If you saw that play and thought it was anything close to a "judgement call," you need new glasses.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, fartfry18 said:

If you saw that play and thought it was anything close to a "judgement call," you need new glasses.

I guess I stand corrected. 🥱

If you have access to video, I’d love to take another look. You seem very sure of yourself.

Edited by Bobref