Jump to content
The Gridiron Digest

Thoughts about the 6 games in the State Finals


Recommended Posts

I watched all 6 games on the TV for the first time in years.  Here are a few initial thoughts.

 

The QB from GS is the real deal and should be Mr. Football hands down.

The Bowen kid from Andrean is a beast and can see why ND went after him.

Several teams had young QBs which mean they are set for a couple of years

Mt Vernon was the quickest team I had seen in a long time

Not sure what the attendance was but seemed on TV some crowd bases followed and others did not.  I thought Northridge would have more fans since when they play a home their side is usually full.

The 6A game was a great fans game.

Some of the offenses were very wide open and scored often.

Football around Indy is still in a league of its own.

I have no problem with Cathedral winning again.  Great programs that can reload and do that I have no issue with.  Kids want to play for  a winner.

In all I thought is was a fun weekend to watch football. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, ASJCPUMA said:

I watched all 6 games on the TV for the first time in years.  Here are a few initial thoughts.

 

The QB from GS is the real deal and should be Mr. Football hands down.

The Bowen kid from Andrean is a beast and can see why ND went after him.

Several teams had young QBs which mean they are set for a couple of years

Mt Vernon was the quickest team I had seen in a long time

Not sure what the attendance was but seemed on TV some crowd bases followed and others did not.  I thought Northridge would have more fans since when they play a home their side is usually full.

The 6A game was a great fans game.

Some of the offenses were very wide open and scored often.

Football around Indy is still in a league of its own.

I have no problem with Cathedral winning again.  Great programs that can reload and do that I have no issue with.  Kids want to play for  a winner.

In all I thought is was a fun weekend to watch football. 

I’ll agree with all this 

Its been awesome to be able to watch GS QB grow into what he is now! 
 

I saw just the last quarter of the 1A game and felt like it could of went either team.

2a was a very defensive game and felt MD couldn’t get into rhythm. That Bowen kid…..i say kid more like MAN gezzz what a monster!

Mt Vernon….the turbo button was stuck 🏃 💨 

All in all congratulations to all teams for making it to the Dance!!!   

Edited by Once a Titan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Bowen is Jaylon Smith all over again and I can’t see it otherwise. 
 

and i mean that in the highest praise with no reflection of Jaylon Smiths current nfl status.  Kid can just ball out on both sides of the ball and then even special teams.  He’s a special player for sure 

Bowen was the difference in the 2A game. He was a menace on both sides of the ball. Looking forward to seeing what he does at Notre Dame and whether he stays inside and hangs 30 more pounds of muscle on or if he goes outside. Either way, he's the real deal.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Bowen is Jaylon Smith all over again and I can’t see it otherwise. 
 

and i mean that in the highest praise with no reflection of Jaylon Smiths current nfl status.  Kid can just ball out on both sides of the ball and then even special teams.  He’s a special player for sure 

Bowen is also good enough to play baseball at ND. Not sure though if he actually will. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ASJCPUMA said:

I watched all 6 games on the TV for the first time in years.  Here are a few initial thoughts.

 

The QB from GS is the real deal and should be Mr. Football hands down.

The Bowen kid from Andrean is a beast and can see why ND went after him.

Several teams had young QBs which mean they are set for a couple of years

Mt Vernon was the quickest team I had seen in a long time

Not sure what the attendance was but seemed on TV some crowd bases followed and others did not.  I thought Northridge would have more fans since when they play a home their side is usually full.

The 6A game was a great fans game.

Some of the offenses were very wide open and scored often.

Football around Indy is still in a league of its own.

I have no problem with Cathedral winning again.  Great programs that can reload and do that I have no issue with.  Kids want to play for  a winner.

In all I thought is was a fun weekend to watch football. 

Allen definitely has the size and arm strength of a P5 QB. That was the first time I’ve seen him play. I was really impressed by his ability to throw to such small windows. At times the Brebeuf DB’s couldn’t have had better coverage and Allen still found the window. It also doesn’t hurt when you have a 6’4 WR capable of catching every dime you through his way.

Edited by Boilernation
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Bowen is Jaylon Smith all over again and I can’t see it otherwise. 
 

and i mean that in the highest praise with no reflection of Jaylon Smiths current nfl status.  Kid can just ball out on both sides of the ball and then even special teams.  He’s a special player for sure 

Hold your horses Jaylon smith was the 3rd rated recruit in the nation while Bowen is 22nd and not even 5 stars

its disrespectful to compare anyone to Jaylon he is in a league of his own

 

source 1 

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2013/jaylon-smith-11252

source 2

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2013/jaylon-smith-11252

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

I missed the 6A game. Did Popeye outplay Curry this time? His stats on D were impressive. 

I don’t think so. Both had their moments. Popeye had some TFL’s. Curry was double teamed quite a bit and as a short yardage fullback could not be stopped.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Westfield gave CG one hell of a scare and dropped a sure TD pass immediately prior to the CG pick that sealed the game.  Gave em a better game than any MIC school did this fall.

Great contest.

That didn’t stop the MIC slappies from exhaling and touting their conference superiority on Facebook when the clock hit 0:00.

Tick, tick, tick…the MIC is on the clock.

Edited by temptation
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, temptation said:

Tick, tick, tick…the MIC is on the clock.

Been hearing this for years. Biggest threat to ending MIC’s title streak will be Cathedral  the next two years assuming they are bumped. Very real chance it’s an all MIC/Cathedral final once Carmel inevitably gets bumped to the Northern half of the bracket.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Whiting89 said:

Hold your horses Jaylon smith was the 3rd rated recruit in the nation while Bowen is 22nd and not even 5 stars

its disrespectful to compare anyone to Jaylon he is in a league of his own

 

source 1 

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2013/jaylon-smith-11252

source 2

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2013/jaylon-smith-11252

If you are in the top 32 in the country overall you are a 5 star prospect.  
 

won’t make a big argument about this though…Bowen has another year to improve upon what he has already done. 
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Been hearing this for years. Biggest threat to ending MIC’s title streak will be Cathedral  the next two years assuming they are bumped. Very real chance it’s an all MIC/Cathedral final once Carmel inevitably gets bumped to the Northern half of the bracket.

Westfield gets a title before BD/Warren get their next.  I called this over the summer and was nearly correct last night.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Staxawax said:

I don’t think so. Both had their moments. Popeye had some TFL’s. Curry was double teamed quite a bit and as a short yardage fullback could not be stopped.

Needs to learn a "swim technique"...  IMO.  Just because you get disrupted on the way in....that AIN'T "holding'!  

My U PLAYED at Louisville.  I "participated" at Kentucky.... we kinda have experience with the game of FB.

Having said that, there were studs ALL over the field in the 6A game!   I truly hope that those of you saw that, and appreciated the efforts.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Too bad they weren’t playing horse shoes or hand gernades.

Always next year though.

You have been in denial of the HCC’s closing of the gap from day one.

The champion of the HCC just took the nation’s #7 team down to the wire last night.

Its happening.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, temptation said:

You have been in denial of the HCC’s closing of the gap from day one.

The champion of the HCC just took the nation’s #7 team down to the wire last night.

Its happening.

The clock is ticking. Question is, is it a sundial or a doomsday clock? HCC’s overall Sagarin was 5 points better than the MIC this season. 
But, even if both Westfield and Zionsville had won this past weekend I’d still say MIC is #1 by a whisker. The keys for both conferences  in the next few years will be 1.) do the teams on top reload or are they going to have a huge drop off. 2.) Do the teams in the lower half of both leagues improve. 
 

in my opinion it’s more likely CG, Ben Davis and Carmel reload and complete for another championship. WC was young and will be a factor.  Brownsburg the same. Westfield lost some outstanding talent but had great JV and freshman teams. And HSE will be a threat. 
 

It certainly looks like the bottom half of the HCC is stronger and the league is more balanced than the MIC. 
 

The real question is, which happens first…. an HCC state championship, or a new 16-team super conference?
 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, temptation said:

You have been in denial of the HCC’s closing of the gap from day one.

The champion of the HCC just took the nation’s #7 team down to the wire last night.

Its happening.

Lol.

It’s been “happening” for a decade. DT now HHF or whatever disguise he’s come back with for the 100th time routinely spewed the same BS nearly 10 years ago. 4-5 years ago the fantasy take was that Avon and Brownsburg were going to be the West Side giants and Ben Davis was going to be left in the dust. It’s now 2021 and Brownsburg finally won their first sectional this century only to get wrecked by an extremely average Ben Davis team and Avon went 1-9. 
 

No doubt that Westfield has raised their 6A profile the last two years, but how much of it was due to a phenomenal 2022 class that has 2-3 D1 kids and Carmel going South? If Westfield can consistently reach LOS you may have a point, but sue me for not jumping on the bandwagon just yet.

Also kudos for setting the HCC’s barometer for success for not getting blown out by a MIC team in the final. Really high bar there. Just goes to show you the distance between the two conferences.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Lol.

It’s been “happening” for a decade. DT now HHF or whatever disguise he’s come back with for the 100th time routinely spewed the same BS nearly 10 years ago. 4-5 years ago the fantasy take was that Avon and Brownsburg were going to be the West Side giants and Ben Davis was going to be left in the dust. It’s now 2021 and Brownsburg finally won their first sectional this century only to get wrecked by an extremely average Ben Davis team and Avon went 1-9. 
 

No doubt that Westfield has raised their 6A profile the last two years, but how much of it was due to a phenomenal 2022 class that has 2-3 D1 kids and Carmel going South? If Westfield can consistently reach LOS you may have a point, but sue me for not jumping on the bandwagon just yet.

Also kudos for setting the HCC’s barometer for success for not getting blown out by a MIC team in the final. Really high bar there. Just goes to show you the distance between the two conferences.

Yep…the distance is about 6 points.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Again, it’s not horse shoes and hand grenades.

Until it happens, it hasn’t happened.

Always next year though…

It happened for the second consecutive  year as the HCC had a winning record head to head against the MIC…just not on the biggest stage.

But Brownsburg’s dismantling of Carmel can’t be ignored even though they laid an egg the next week.

I get that postseason wins matter more and it’s tough to take the HCC seriously until they break through on the biggest stage but facts are facts.  You are hand picking certain contests to fit your narrative.

Edited by temptation
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Lol.

It’s been “happening” for a decade. DT now HHF or whatever disguise he’s come back with for the 100th time routinely spewed the same BS nearly 10 years ago. 4-5 years ago the fantasy take was that Avon and Brownsburg were going to be the West Side giants and Ben Davis was going to be left in the dust. It’s now 2021 and Brownsburg finally won their first sectional this century only to get wrecked by an extremely average Ben Davis team and Avon went 1-9. 
 

No doubt that Westfield has raised their 6A profile the last two years, but how much of it was due to a phenomenal 2022 class that has 2-3 D1 kids and Carmel going South? If Westfield can consistently reach LOS you may have a point, but sue me for not jumping on the bandwagon just yet.

Also kudos for setting the HCC’s barometer for success for not getting blown out by a MIC team in the final. Really high bar there. Just goes to show you the distance between the two conferences.

I'm hoping that it's Westfield increasing its profile and sustaining it ... for selfish reasons.

Harrison had two losses this season: Westfield and Zionsville.  Harrison took Westfield to 19-11 in the 4th before succumbing.  Last season, Harrison's freshman squad dropped a 7-point game to Westfield's freshman.  This season, the Harrison JV squad, with many of those same freshman, took Westfield to the end, dropping a 1-point game on a 47-yard field goal by Westfield's sophomore kicker to win it.

Unfortunately for Harrison, they are "land locked" in the NCC.  I'd like to see Harrison pick up some 6A competition besides Jeff; however, they'd have to drop THS and the NCC schedule leaves no other wiggle room.  Not sure which conference they could go to that would welcome them with open arms that would help them compete; especially if it meant Jeff, and possibly, McCutcheon bouncing along.  Not sure they'd go by themselves is an option.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, temptation said:

It happened for the second consecutive  year as the HCC had a winning record head to head against the MIC…just not on the biggest stage.

But Brownsburg’s dismantling of Carmel can’t be ignored even though they laid an egg the next week.

I get that postseason wins matter more and it’s tough to take the HCC seriously until they break through on the biggest stage but facts are facts.  You are hand picking certain contests to fit your narrative.

Has anyone actually argued that the HCC hasn’t improved over the years. Like you said, at the end of the day it’s about titles. The HCC isn’t even in the discussion yet. Win one and then talk.

It’s like saying the B10 is the best basketball conference because they always get the most teams in the tournament yet year after year lay egg after egg when it matters.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Footballking16 said:

Has anyone actually argued that the HCC hasn’t improved over the years. Like you said, at the end of the day it’s about titles. The HCC isn’t even in the discussion yet. Win one and then talk.

It’s like saying the B10 is the best basketball conference because they always get the most teams in the tournament yet year after year lay egg after egg when it matters.

The basketball analogy simply doesn’t fit.  A single elimination basketball tournament doesn’t always reward the best team.  Rather the hottest.

Since Baylor won last year, the Big 13 gets to boast?

What if Gonzaga wins in 2022?

Gimme a break.

The MIC has four programs that carry the weight for the rest and is mediocre beyond that.  The HCC has closed the gap at the top, is winning more than its fair share and has surpassed the bottom tier.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...