Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

The SIAC Thread

Pretty good 2021 season overall for the SIAC, having 3 teams playing in November. Especially Memorial and Mater Dei making deep runs in their respective divisions.

But now, we look onward to the 2022 season, and who will reign the 2022 SIAC crown. With Jasper defending their SIAC title and first since the 70’s. Who will dethrone the Cats this season, or will Jasper run through the Conference again? Or will Memorial, Mater Dei or Castle have something to say about that. Or maybe an Dark Horse contender will say something and shock the conference standings?

Cheers to another upcoming season!

I agree, 2021 was a good season for the SIAC. The conference was very strong at the top with Jasper romping it's way to a 9-0 regular season and Mater Dei, Memorial and Castle all finishing 7-2. We saw Reitz make some strides late in the season and North is still on the come up. I expect all of the teams mentioned have their sights set high for 2022. While I don't see Jasper repeating the year they had this year, I didn't see this year coming either. They had to be disappointed with the quick out in the playoffs but Tony Lewis is doing something right there. Castle retains their quarterback and some studs on defense so they should be strong again. Memorial has a lot to replace on the front lines, running back and wide receivers, but they do return the quarterback Ellsperman, receiver Leo Collins and a few big fellas. I expect them to have something to say about the winner of the conference as well. Mater Dei loses some studs too. Replacing James Ralph will be near impossible. Tyler Martin, Nick Boots, JT Mayer, Bryce Humphrey will all be missed as well as a couple of offensive lineman, but having Cody Wells (started at center as a sophomore and probably would have gone both ways this year if not for injury) back will be a huge step in the right direction. There are also some sophomores who got their feet wet this year and will make strides next year as well as starters back for their third seasons at quarterback and running back. Mater Dei will be right in the mix too. 

Good luck to all for a healthy offseason. Can't wait for 2022.  

20 minutes ago, Spitting Llamas said:

Memorial has a lot to replace on the front lines, running back and wide receivers, but they do return the quarterback Ellsperman, receiver Leo Collins and a few big fellas.

I think most are looking at our offense because of Tyler, Brodie, Norman, and some others. But our defense is taking more of a hit losing valuable senior players 

Agree that it was a fun year in the SIAC.  I hoped VL and Castle could have made it 4 sectional titles. Two regionals and one semi state title is nothing to complain about though.

It’s too early to think about next year until closer to the summer. No idea who might not come back for their senior year or end up moving to Ft Branch. 

21 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

It’s too early to think about next year until closer to the summer.

I agree, all it is right is just questions and it seems SIAC might down against outside of an handful of teams. Outside of MD/Memorial, I’m not too sure who loses players. Pretty sure Central is taking another hit, and North loses studs and looks like Castle returns a decent amount on Defense.

2021 Season Recap:

- Jasper(9-1) wins the SIAC by going 9-0 and giving one big statement in their 2nd year. But unfortunately took a first round exist to NV in the sectionals 

-Castle(7-3) had an underrated year in the SIAC going 7-2, only losing to Jasper and Mater Dei, but snapped their 5 game skid against Memorial. But like Jasper, took an early bounce in a nail biter against BHSS 

-Memorial (11-3) had another great season going 7-2 also, only losing to Jasper and a tough one to Castle. The Tigers did reach the Final Four, but fell short to the eventual 4A State Champion MV

-Mater Dei (12-3) showed much improvement in the SIAC going 7-2 and making their way to LOS, but sadly fell to Andrean on Saturday in a heartbreaker 

-North(5-5) had another winning regular season going 5-4, although they had plenty of close games that could have gone either way. But a squad to watch out in the future. They fell in a heartbreaker against BHSN

-Reitz (4-7) had struggled during the regular season, just going 3-6. Although with a young a team, they made it to R2 of the sectional and went toe to toe against NV until some late miscues 

- After going to 9-0 in 2020, Central (2-8) took a major dip in the conference going 2-7, with wins against Reitz and Harrison, and having a rough season overall. They lost to their Conference Rival Memorial in the sectional. 

-Harrison (2-8)still struggled still going 2-7 in the conference and taking a loss to Memorial in the sectionals 

-Bosse (3-9) started off hot going 2-0, but eventually struggled for the remainder of the season. However, Bosse does look promising in the near future with Coach Mullen, they did take Heritage Hills to the wire in the 2nd round.

-VL (3-9) struggled a lot in the conference going 1-8, with a win over Central. But almost won a sectional championship, but fell short due to 2 late touchdowns .

One of the biggest offensive questions right now is who will replace Tyler and Brodie for the RB positions. Since outside of them, QB Ellspermann is leading returning rusher at 161 yards on the season. So, expect a little bit more passing from Memorial next season. Another question, is replacing the strong senior group on Defense. 

I think there will be a QB battle in summer camp for Memorial. Fisher looks poised and ready to be QB1. I think if that happens Caleb will move to WR/RB/DB. Memorial staff has proven in the past they don’t need a featured RB to win. RB by committee w good athletes. I expect Memorial to be back in sectional finals again with a chance to make a run. There’s a handful full of athletic kids in that freshmen class that will make a difference right away……of course depending on how dedicated they are to summer football and not travel baseball will help them be ready by August. 

Edited by Screagle

8 minutes ago, Screagle said:

I think there will be a QB battle in summer camp for Memorial. Fisher looks poised and ready to be QB1. I think if that happens Caleb will move to WR/RB/DB. Memorial staff has proven in the past they don’t need a featured RB to win. RB by committee w good athletes. I expect Memorial to be back in sectional finals again with a chance to make a run. There’s a handful full of athletic kids in that freshmen class that will make a difference right away……of course depending on how dedicated they are to summer football and not travel baseball will help them be ready by August. 

I’ve heard about the QB battle before, I’ve also heard some players making a return to the team too. Also add the incoming freshman class with some athletes in it and some big fellas. I think we will be fine overall, hopeful to win the SIAC and make another deep run. With Baseball, they will be really good in the years to come.

Edited by TigerFan20

On 11/29/2021 at 10:32 AM, TigerFan20 said:

One of the biggest offensive questions right now is who will replace Tyler and Brodie for the RB positions. Since outside of them, QB Ellspermann is leading returning rusher at 161 yards on the season. So, expect a little bit more passing from Memorial next season. Another question, is replacing the strong senior group on Defense. 

Along with Fisher, other current freshmen I’d expect to see playing a lot as sophs are Horning and Broshears.

21 hours ago, fartfry18 said:

Castle will have a really tough defense and will return most of its offensive production. I expect to see the knights back at the top of the SIAC next season

I understand that Tilly will not be playing next year?

40 minutes ago, MHSTigerFan said:

Along with Fisher, other current freshmen I’d expect to see playing a lot as sophs are Horning and Broshears.

I think our underclassmen will be great these next couple of years. I’ve heard about a sophomore and some of the freshman class rejoining the team next year too.

Tilly is not playing football next year? That is new to me, because I’m pretty sure he is still going to play.

52 minutes ago, TigerFan20 said:

I saw Myers from Castle got offered an D1 scholarship to Morehead St. 

Pioneer league. No athletic D1 scholarships for football at any Pioneer league school. They count on high academic kids to get lots of academic money. 

16 minutes ago, TigerFan20 said:

I see, still a good accomplishment though, those Myers boys are big

I agree! It’s an interesting read if you look at Pioneer league. Athletic scholarships were going to run finances into the ground. It was either go non-scholarship or lose football all together. I think the league is in a good place since going that direction. 

Edited by Screagle

10 minutes ago, Screagle said:

I agree! It’s an interesting read if you look at Pioneer league. Athletic scholarships were going to run finances into the ground. It was either go non-scholarship or lose football all together. I think the league is in a good place since going that direction. 

Isn’t Valpo part of the Pioneer League Conference too? I remember when Pence got offer by them, someone told me it was just for academics 

Just now, TigerFan20 said:

Isn’t Valpo part of the Pioneer League Conference too? I remember when Pence got offer by them, someone told me it was just for academics 

Yes.  I believe the Pioneer League (Butler, Valpo, and formerly UE) and Ivy Leagues are the non-scholarship FCS leagues.  The Patriot League used to be non-scholarship but now has a smaller number of scholarships than the NCAA maximum but I don't know exactly how many. 

1 hour ago, TigerFan20 said:

Tilly is not playing football next year? That is new to me, because I’m pretty sure he is still going to play.

Well, I'm certainly in no position to confirm it.  But I've heard it twice:  once from a player from another school who knows Tilly and claims to have heard this from the horse's mouth...and a separate time from one of Tilly's Castle teammates.

But, when it comes to HS football, I always take things with a grain of salt.  There are always a bunch of rumors, and a whole lot of them amount to nothing.

8 minutes ago, MHSTigerFan said:

Well, I'm certainly in no position to confirm it.  But I've heard it twice:  once from a player from another school who knows Tilly and claims to have heard this from the horse's mouth...and a separate time from one of Tilly's Castle teammates.

But, when it comes to HS football, I always take things with a grain of salt.  There are always a bunch of rumors, and a whole lot of them amount to nothing.

Could make sense with Baseball for his senior year, that’s the only connection I see if he doesn’t play

42 minutes ago, TigerFan20 said:
52 minutes ago, MHSTigerFan said:

Could make sense with Baseball for his senior year, that’s the only connection I see if he doesn’t play

Certainly not public and while has been mentioned for a good while, still didn’t seem appropriate for posting IMHO.  That being said, if true would not have as much of an impact as might be suggested.  Stay and play or take the year off the same polos and khakis with headsets are still on the field and in the box.  The two transfers to GS would have never seen the D side of the line as “that’s not what big programs do”. Sloan’s spin move at  a critical moment at LOS would never occurred In the SIAC.  The outgoing class of 2022 at Castle was dominate up until a few years ago.  You have to go back to around 7th grade to find losses by the two feeder schools, undefeated and rarely scored on past that.  

Tilly wasn’t used to match his skill set, as was the kid before him.  The rest of the SIAC has more than caught up with their respective feeder programs, Castle is not going to ascend without a massive pivot.  While the rest the conference as figured out how to keep their 11 best in the field and how to put them in a position to be successful the school in Paradise continues to languish.

Cheers to Bosse and Harrison for a hard fought season and to all the other schools.  Best of luck next season.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stickfish said:

Certainly not public and while has been mentioned for a good while, still didn’t seem appropriate for posting IMHO.  That being said, if true would not have as much of an impact as might be suggested.  Stay and play or take the year off the same polos and khakis with headsets are still on the field and in the box.

Well, it's not like this is college or pros.  He's still just a high schooler, albeit one that's more prominent than most with his baseball potential.  So it would seem to me that he could just decline to play without needing any sort of official press release.

The reason I posted this is because the source (albeit secondhand) is Tilly himself.  So if he's openly telling people he isn't going to play, I'd say it's a legit topic of conversation in an SIAC football thread.

Is it maybe a situation where he's leaning this way, but Coach Hurt thinks he can talk him into sticking around? 

The rest of the SIAC has more than caught up with their respective feeder programs

I'm sure there are fans of a number of SIAC schools who would question this.  That's not to say that no other schools have good feeder programs.  But "the rest" of the conference?

Castle is not going to ascend without a massive pivot.

Well, they've won 5 Sectionals in the past 10 years, including '15, '16, '18, and '20.  And they went on to win regionals in '15 and '20.  That's not exactly slumming it.  As for the conference, it's just been a dogfight for a long time...with several teams enjoying periods of success.  And now that perennial contender Jasper's in the mix...

3 hours ago, MHSTigerFan said:

1 hour ago, TigerFan20 said:

9 minutes ago, MHSTigerFan said:

Well, it's not like this is college or pros.  He's still just a high schooler, albeit one that's more prominent than most with his baseball potential.  So it would seem to me that he could just decline to play without needing any sort of official press release.

The reason I posted this is because the source (albeit secondhand) is Tilly himself.  So if he's openly telling people he isn't going to play, I'd say it's a legit topic of conversation in an SIAC football thread.

Is it maybe a situation where he's leaning this way, but Coach Hurt thinks he can talk him into sticking around? 

I'm sure there are fans of a number of SIAC schools who would question this.  That's not to say that no other schools have good feeder programs.  But "the rest" of the conference?

Well, they've won 5 Sectionals in the past 10 years, including '15, '16, '18, and '20.  And they went on to win regionals in '15 and '20.  That's not exactly slumming it.  As for the conference, it's just been a dogfight for a long time...with several teams enjoying periods of success.  And now that perennial contender Jasper's in the mix...

same young man told people he wasn’t going to play this season  acct transfers off the O line.  You heard that as well, no?

sectional in 18 and MVP that year quits the next year as the polos couldn’t, or wouldn’t keep two RBs on the field.  Meanwhile Central had three who saw the field that year, two going both ways.   Check the Middle School and Freshmen records the past two years and get back to me if you wish.