Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

The SIAC Thread

49 minutes ago, Football Fanatic said:

What about that team over in Lincoln City? 

21 hours ago, Alduflux said:

I also don't understand why Boonville or Mt Vernon would be interested in joining the SIAC or why the SIAC would want them.  There are other programs that should be targeted to join along with GS.  (Admittedly other programs are content with their current set up)

Just for fun, take a look at this.  It was submitted to the SIAC ADs a few years ago. I created it when the news began to float around about Mt. Carmel.  I sent it to my AD and suggested that the conference get out ahead of the inevitable changes that have since happened.  Did not go over really well.  I do believe that it could have worked though.  I still do.  Allows for protection of traditional rivalries, crossover games, and a championship week that only has limited potential to create a tournament rematch.  With the way the PAC is now structured, there is zero chance that a change like this happens without someone leaving unexpectedly.

BTW @Titan32, Columbus might be out of your Indy Metro scope, but I'd bet Southport is not.

There is a need to schedule outside of the "Pocket" that is southwest Indiana.  It serves the programs well, in multiple sports, that have had the foresight to leave this bubble and challenge themselves.  It does not have to be Indy, but scheduling outside opponents and taking the kids on the road is always a positive.

SIAC Realignment.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eschnur66 said:

Just for fun, take a look at this.  It was submitted to the SIAC ADs a few years ago. I created it when the news began to float around about Mt. Carmel.  I sent it to my AD and suggested that the conference get out ahead of the inevitable changes that have since happened.  Did not go over really well.  I do believe that it could have worked though.  I still do.  Allows for protection of traditional rivalries, crossover games, and a championship week that only has limited potential to create a tournament rematch.  With the way the PAC is now structured, there is zero chance that a change like this happens without someone leaving unexpectedly.

BTW @Titan32, Columbus might be out of your Indy Metro scope, but I'd bet Southport is not.

There is a need to schedule outside of the "Pocket" that is southwest Indiana.  It serves the programs well, in multiple sports, that have had the foresight to leave this bubble and challenge themselves.  It does not have to be Indy, but scheduling outside opponents and taking the kids on the road is always a positive.

SIAC Realignment.png

Thanks Buddy...you got me on Southport LOL! 😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Football Fanatic said:

I do think Boonville or MV get first opportunity. But I'm with you, I doubt either would be interested in joining. What about that team over in Lincoln City? 

Lincoln City has shown that they will work to maintain as close to as possible the schedule they have had for many many years.  They have also proven that they can be very successful in post season doing it that way.

• Like 1

I think if the SIAC couldve added Gibson Southern and boonville in the expansion, the football schedule would've benefitted from an east/west division instead of big small. 

West-MD, Reitz, Central, Lincoln, Gibson Southern, North

East- Castle, Memorial, Jasper, Boonville, Bosse, Harrison

5 games in your division, 2 rotating crossover games, 1 out of conference game, 1 championship week. I'm not convinced the championship week is necessary, and without it, the schools could schedule two out of conference games. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, fartfry18 said:

I think if the SIAC couldve added Gibson Southern and boonville in the expansion, the football schedule would've benefitted from an east/west division instead of big small. 

West-MD, Reitz, Central, Lincoln, Gibson Southern, North

East- Castle, Memorial, Jasper, Boonville, Bosse, Harrison

5 games in your division, 2 rotating crossover games, 1 out of conference game, 1 championship week. I'm not convinced the championship week is necessary, and without it, the schools could schedule two out of conference games. 

This could also make a really cool rivalry week in the SIAC 

MD vs Reitz

Bosse vs Harrison

Warrick County Castle vs Boonville

Memorial vs Jasper

County line Gibson So. Vs North

Central vs Lincoln is really odd but left over in this scenario

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of scheduling out of conference games, just not real sure what the best way to go about it would be. I personally don't want to see Bosse or Harrison on the MD schedule every year. I don't see where playing VL, Bosse and Harrison every year does anything to help MD. Open the scheduling and outside of a couple of rivalry games, rotate through the other teams so everyone in the conference can benefit.  

2 minutes ago, fartfry18 said:

MD vs Reitz

Bosse vs Harrison

Memorial vs Jasper

North v Central is a must play!  It is a pretty bitter rivalry.

Let Gibson and VL play that neighboring county rivalry.

Just now, fartfry18 said:

MD vs Reitz

Bosse vs Harrison

Memorial vs Jasper

keep Central and North as a rivalry game and make VL and GS the other. 

1 minute ago, eschnur66 said:

North v Central is a must play!  It is a pretty bitter rivalry.

Let Gibson and VL play that neighboring county rivalry.

That would be fun for like a minute but would get old kicking the dark brown gooey out of them.

• Like 1

MD vs Reitz beat rivalry in area 

Central vs North schools just don’t like each other in all sports 

Harrison vs Bosse two evenly matched east side schools 

Memorial vs GS two teams that just win and the class of SW Indiana football  

Jasper vs Castle. Two big schools that can’t win when it matters 

VL Vs Boonville. Two schools going the same direction in a hurry. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Screagle said:

MD vs Reitz beat rivalry in area 

Central vs North schools just don’t like each other in all sports 

Harrison vs Bosse two evenly matched east side schools 

Memorial vs GS two teams that just win and the class of SW Indiana football  

Jasper vs Castle. Two big schools that can’t win when it matters 

VL Vs Boonville. Two schools going the same direction in a hurry. 

This would be ideal, but doesn't work in the context of the east west divisions that were being discussed.

The division thing is dead for now. It is way to easy for the AD's to make schedules the way it sets up. The only way something changes is if someone is added. I do believe that if they wanted to add two schools they could. I believe the two schools that want in the most are the Bloomington schools. With I69 it makes it an easy travel just the lower level games would be the challenge. Boonville is never coming, they know they can not compete overall in the SIAC. I could see VL leaving and joining the PAC and GS jumping in their place. VL is taking a beating right now overall.

1 hour ago, SouthernFan said:

The division thing is dead for now. It is way to easy for the AD's to make schedules the way it sets up. The only way something changes is if someone is added. I do believe that if they wanted to add two schools they could. I believe the two schools that want in the most are the Bloomington schools. With I69 it makes it an easy travel just the lower level games would be the challenge. Boonville is never coming, they know they can not compete overall in the SIAC. I could see VL leaving and joining the PAC and GS jumping in their place. VL is taking a beating right now overall.

I agree. It is dead. It wouldn't surprise me if at some point VL drops (or gets dropped) for various reasons (travel costs, lack of competitiveness). That would be the time to add Gibson Southern if they were interested. Until then I see it staying exactly how it is.  Adding two Bloomington schools would be a colossally bad decision by the SIAC ADs. 240 miles round trip in a bus or a mini bus isn't easy travel unless academics are unimportant to the mission of the school.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tango said:

I agree. It is dead. It wouldn't surprise me if at some point VL drops (or gets dropped) for various reasons (travel costs, lack of competitiveness). That would be the time to add Gibson Southern if they were interested. Until then I see it staying exactly how it is.  Adding two Bloomington schools would be a colossally bad decision by the SIAC ADs. 240 miles round trip in a bus or a mini bus isn't easy travel unless academics are unimportant to the mission of the school.

Agree with all this except remind me why the SIAC wouldn't mind just not even replacing VL if they left...why does it have to be an even number? 

1 hour ago, Titan32 said:

Agree with all this except remind me why the SIAC wouldn't mind just not even replacing VL if they left...why does it have to be an even number? 

It makes no difference in the other sports as far as I can tell, but I suppose an even number of teams makes football scheduling easier and preserves the final week "rivalry game" concept. Personally the rivalry week thing is a little over-rated to me and isn't something that has been around forever. In the SIAC it didn't exist until 1992. Before then, the schedules varied. For a lot of years before 1992 we played MD in the final game. 

Edited by tango
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, tango said:

It makes no difference in the other sports as far as I can tell, but I suppose an even number of teams makes football scheduling easier and preserves the final week "rivalry game" concept. Personally the rivalry week thing is a little over-rated to me and isn't something that has been around forever. In the SIAC it didn't exist until 1992. Before then, the schedules varied. For a lot of years before 1992 we played MD in the final game. 

IMO MD and Reitz should play 1 week earlier as a culmination of the fall festival. Keep the festival open later that Friday night for all who attend the game and get a boost in both attendances most likely.

On 1/10/2022 at 10:39 AM, Football Fanatic said:

But I'm with you, I doubt either would be interested in joining. What about that team over in Lincoln City? 

I'm pretty sure you'd get the "Thanks, but no thanks!"  from all involved.  The drive alone makes my stomach turn.

Edited by HereComesTheBoom