Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

The SIAC Thread

19 minutes ago, tango said:

If the SIAC added GS, the two divisions could be EVSC schools (Reitz, Harrison, Bosse, North & Central) and non-EVSC (GS, Castle, Jasper, Mater Dei and Memorial). I would be all for that.

GS could obviously compete for conference titles in some sports (football and softball), but do you think GS would want to take on the higher level of competition across the board? I'm guessing GS is in the hunt for a PAC title in just about every sport, but that wouldn't be the case in the SIAC.  

GS was all over this and had 100% coaches support when a vote was taken the first time around.  Now, things have changed given the flexibility of the "new" PAC.  This is the just the opinion of one fan, but I don't think GS would be interested this go around.  We play the SIAC schools in every sport except football and our football scheduling paradigm in the "new" PAC has proven it can achieve the desired results (ie a state championship).  The old adage if it ain't broke, don't fix it, would apply here.  I do think if the SIAC can make some adjustments so that it can get a non-conference game or two in football that there would be some fantastic opportunities for high revenue games between some of the PAC and SIAC schools.

1 hour ago, tango said:

If the SIAC added GS, the two divisions could be EVSC schools (Reitz, Harrison, Bosse, North & Central) and non-EVSC (GS, Castle, Jasper, Mater Dei and Memorial). I would be all for that.

GS could obviously compete for conference titles in some sports (football and softball), but do you think GS would want to take on the higher level of competition across the board? I'm guessing GS is in the hunt for a PAC title in just about every sport, but that wouldn't be the case in the SIAC.  

Football is the only schedule that would be affected.  

a non EVSC conference schedule would be fun…but that would be too lopsided in my opinion.  I just know that I love the flexibility of the current PAC schedule as a fan and it allows GS to schedule new teams and create interesting matchups.  

I also actually like the PAC over the SIAC too.  I think the SW Indiana fans just keep wanting to test GS and “moving them up”….like a perpetual “you have done good but you still need to prove it versus X”…not to even mention it kinda discredits the rest of the PAC indirectly…GS isn’t too good for the PAC…certainly competitive in most sports but it’s not like GS is dominating every sport.

idk…just feels like any talk about GS moving to the SIAC from non GS fans is about “upgrading” conferences….but GS fans like myself seem to only be interested in potential matchups to enjoy and don’t really see the SIAC as some far better conference….more like a rival conference at this point imo

Edited by DumfriesYMCA

1 hour ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Football is the only schedule that would be affected.  

a non EVSC conference schedule would be fun…but that would be too lopsided in my opinion.  I just know that I love the flexibility of the current PAC schedule as a fan and it allows GS to schedule new teams and create interesting matchups.  

I also actually like the PAC over the SIAC too.  I think the SW Indiana fans just keep wanting to test GS and “moving them up”….like a perpetual “you have done good but you still need to prove it versus X”…not to even mention it kinda discredits the rest of the PAC indirectly…GS isn’t too good for the PAC…certainly competitive in most sports but it’s not like GS is dominating every sport.

idk…just feels like any talk about GS moving to the SIAC from non GS fans is about “upgrading” conferences….but GS fans like myself seem to only be interested in potential matchups to enjoy and don’t really see the SIAC as some far better conference….more like a rival conference at this point imo

While the SIAC claims to be "different", it really is not

Nearly all conferences have 3 Tiers.  Good-Average-Poor.  

Good - Mem/MD/CA/JA

Average - CEN/N/R

Poor - BO/HA/VL

8 minutes ago, HHF said:

Good - Mem/MD/CA/JA

Average - CEN/N/R

Poor - BO/HA/VL

Agreed 

although…..I wouldn’t put castle in the top tier.  For the number of students and social-economic factors…you would think they would be better 

37 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Agreed 

although…..I wouldn’t put castle in the top tier.  For the number of students and social-economic factors…you would think they would be better 

Castle wins the SIAC all sports conference championship trophy every year. Castle is a 1 loss maybe 2 loss team every year in the pac for football. Castle being a middle tier team in football speaks to the strength of the conference. 

Edited by Screagle

50 minutes ago, Screagle said:

It’s an upgrade in all sports from top to bottom. Don’t kid yourself.  Huge upgrade in overall athletes from top to bottom. 

No don’t kid yourself

i remember the days of the Big 8 where the BIG 8 fans would always say the PAC was the inferior conference.  

maybe the SIAC has those country club sports locked down but that’s about it…everything else…any given year the top teams in each conference is on par with each other.  

shoot if memorial was in the PAC I’m not sure there would be much of an argument for the SIAC 

3 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

It would be interesting to hear what players, coaches, and fans from Vincennes were thinking when they made the jump and then what they think now. The one person I talked to from Vincennes was notably shocked at how much better the talent pool is in the SIAC. 

13 minutes ago, Football Fanatic said:

It would be interesting to hear what players, coaches, and fans from Vincennes were thinking when they made the jump and then what they think now. The one person I talked to from Vincennes was notably shocked at how much better the talent pool is in the SIAC. 

Compared to the Big 8 and what they know about the PAC, I should say. 

Personally, I don’t think the gap is as big as most think. But FWIW, I do think there are at least 4 teams in the SIAC that would finish top 2 or 3 every year in the PAC.

4 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

No don’t kid yourself

i remember the days of the Big 8 where the BIG 8 fans would always say the PAC was the inferior conference.  

maybe the SIAC has those country club sports locked down but that’s about it…everything else…any given year the top teams in each conference is on par with each other.  

shoot if memorial was in the PAC I’m not sure there would be much of an argument for the SIAC 

What do you consider a country club sport? I'm curious..

1 hour ago, tango said:

What do you consider a country club sport? I'm curious..

Sauna hockey?

26 minutes ago, TigerFan20 said:

Ball State’s DC visited Bosse today and I’m sure some other schools potentially 

He was everywhere including GS and North

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HHF said:

Good - Mem/MD/CA/JA

Average - CEN/N/R

Poor - BO/HA/VL

I'm curious how many other conferences have a program with 700 plus wins in there "average" tier.  5 of the top 25 winningest programs in Indiana history are in the siac.  Only two of them fit in your "good" tier.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Alduflux said:

I'm curious how many other conferences have a program with 700 plus wins in there "average" tier.  5 of the top 25 winningest programs in Indiana history are in the siac.  Only two of them fit in your "good" tier.

I think we can chalk that one up to recency bias. However, having those programs in the “average” tier actually goes to show how strong the conference is.

Central had a really nice stretch of seasons recently, not sure about their near future. Reitz and North have struggled for awhile now but I’ve heard both have a lot of young talent coming up so maybe they up their level of play to compete better with the top 4 dogs. The SIAC is and will continue to be one of the more competitive conferences statewide. They beat each other up all season and there is always at least a few teams making postseason runs. Lots of talent in the area and spread out fairly well.

Back to the VL news. I can’t help but wonder…when they leave and nobody replaces them…all the SIAC schools will have an open week. Could set up for some interesting and exciting non-conference matchups in the near future! (mainly referring to potential PAC vs. SIAC matchups)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Football Fanatic said:

Back to the VL news. I can’t help but wonder…when they leave and nobody replaces them…all the SIAC schools will have an open week. Could set up for some interesting and exciting non-conference matchups in the near future! (mainly referring to potential PAC vs. SIAC matchups)

This is what I have been preaching on twitter.