Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

The SIAC Thread

On 1/21/2022 at 11:22 AM, NLCTigerFan07 said:

In all fairness, @Wildcat1992 definited "Country Club sports" as Golf, Tennis and Swimming. He then went on to include other sports and which teams he felt would dominate over the PAC. So I read it as Country Club sports PLUS these other sports.

Exactly right.  Reading comprehension goes a long way.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Paradise1960 said:
Bryan Neale also played football at Castle. He was a B10 official from 2006-2013. He officiated the 2007 Cotton Bowl, 2008 Gator Bowl, and the 2011 National Championship. He began officiating in the NFL in 2014, and this will be his first Super Bowl.

Brian was also one of the founders, and the first President of the Indiana Football Officials Association, which now numbers well over 700 members.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TigerFan20 said:

Also, Adam Watson committed to Taylor University for Football yesterday too! Both Taylor and Marian are getting some excellent playmakers from the SIAC 

Another good reason for the SIAC to have an open date and play a game in Indy for its marquee schools.  

1 hour ago, HHF said:

Another good reason for the SIAC to have an open date and play a game in Indy for its marquee schools.  

Very few HC want or need to travel to Indy for exposure. If a kid wants exposure they have to attend camps. Preferably at universities they feel is a level they can play      Very few college coaches attend high school games. They rely on their own camps, exposure camps, and film. The kids mentioned on here are attending schools that are a good fit for their talent level. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Screagle said:

Very few HC want or need to travel to Indy for exposure. If a kid wants exposure they have to attend camps. Preferably at universities they feel is a level they can play      Very few college coaches attend high school games. They rely on their own camps, exposure camps, and film. The kids mentioned on here are attending schools that are a good fit for their talent level. 

Are you saying you, the schools, the coaches, the fans and supporters,  and the ADs would have no interest in traveling to Indy, perhaps on a home and home agreement, to play the following games?

Memorial vs Cathedral

Mater Dei vs Chatard

Castle vs Center Grove

Jasper vs Mt Vernon

Edited by HHF

Castle vs Center Grove in Lacrosse, maybe Band.  Football would just be ridiculous although now that I69 is open I could get a pie from Mother Bear’s a bit quicker for the ride back after the first half running clock.

i do agree with the concept you propose if not the selection.

Cheers,

<><

8 hours ago, HHF said:

Are you saying you, the schools, the coaches, the fans and supporters,  and the ADs would have no interest in traveling to Indy, perhaps on a home and home agreement, to play the following games?

Memorial vs Cathedral

Mater Dei vs Chatard

Castle vs Center Grove

Jasper vs Mt Vernon

My guess is the open date, if it happens to work out, will be mostly made up of PAC vs SIAC schools.  Again.....iron likes to sharpen IRON here in SW Indiana.  These games will be excellent revenue producers without the fuel costs.  

Edited by Titan32
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

My guess is the open date, if it happens to work out, will be mostly made up of PAC vs SIAC schools.  Again.....iron likes to sharpen IRON here in SW Indiana.  These games will be excellent revenue producers without the fuel costs.  

Travel is good for young student athletes.  Getting them out of their comfort zones and into the big city fray is a great experience at that age and gives them a taste of a potential tournament trip up state.  Ive had several coaches tell me in interviews that they schedule a long road trip to expose their kids to the long bus ride and the planning and preparation that goes with going on the road.  

The SIAC using the PAC for its primary non conference partner is akin to the Big Ten partnering with The MAC.  No disrespect, it just is what it is.  The PAC gets more out of that arrangement than does the SIAC, unless gate revenues are your primary objective.

5 minutes ago, HHF said:

Travel is good for young student athletes.  Getting them out of their comfort zones and into the big city fray is a great experience at that age and gives them a taste of a potential tournament trip up state.  Ive had several coaches tell me in interviews that they schedule a long road trip to expose their kids to the long bus ride and the planning and preparation that goes with going on the road.  

The SIAC using the PAC for its primary non conference partner is akin to the Big Ten partnering with The MAC.  No disrespect, it just is what it is.  The PAC gets more out of that arrangement than does the SIAC, unless gate revenues are your primary objective.

I don't disagree that having at least one travel game is a good thing.  I can't argue that point.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stickfish said:

Castle vs Center Grove in Lacrosse, maybe Band.  Football would just be ridiculous although now that I69 is open I could get a pie from Mother Bear’s a bit quicker for the ride back after the first half running clock.

i do agree with the concept you propose if not the selection.

Cheers,

<><

What is the story behind the naming of Castle High School?  I remember the first time I heard of castle.  It was 1983 and Portage was making a run for a state championship.  I'm from the Region so I was following the team on their journey.  Back then, there was no internet so the scores didn't come out until the next day.  I remember hearing Portage had lost to castle.  I had never heard of the school and had no idea where it was located.  I do recall reports after the game that Castle had a huge offensive line and pushed the Portage kids around most of the game.  

17 minutes ago, HHF said:

As for your second paragraph you are speaking out of both sides of your mouth again.  How can you continue to hype Vincennes as a great idea for the SIAC?  If the SIAC is so far superior to the PAC how does Vincennes make that conference "stronger" as you have said in at least a couple Coach interviews.  Particularly based on the below Sagarin data:

image.thumb.png.cbfba9e316b465c7aa99e857945e6021.png

The PAC has 5 of the TOP 11 teams this season or 6 of the top 12.  Not bad considering the disparity in school size.

14 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

As for your second paragraph you are speaking out of both sides of your mouth again.  How can you continue to hype Vincennes as a great idea for the SIAC?  If the SIAC is so far superior to the PAC how does Vincennes make that conference "stronger" as you have said in at least a couple Coach interviews.  Particularly based on the below Sagarin data:

The PAC has 5 of the TOP 11 teams this season or 6 of the top 12.  Not bad considering the disparity in school size.

Its mostly just clickbait...

I think last year there was a pretty good drop off after MD, maybe North. You could argue there was a drop-off between 1 and 2 too. Unfortunately we'll never know.

I see no real benefit to a long road trip to Indy (every other year). Dealing with a long bus ride in the tournament isn't rocket science. I think we'd rather have a good match-up with a local rival like GS or HH every year, and save the charter bus rental. Its not about exposure or media coverage. 

1 hour ago, HHF said:

What is the story behind the naming of Castle High School?  I remember the first time I heard of castle.  It was 1983 and Portage was making a run for a state championship.  I'm from the Region so I was following the team on their journey.  Back then, there was no internet so the scores didn't come out until the next day.  I remember hearing Portage had lost to castle.  I had never heard of the school and had no idea where it was located.  I do recall reports after the game that Castle had a huge offensive line and pushed the Portage kids around most of the game.  

A farmer in Paradise (Newburgh), IN donated/sold some of his land to the Warrick County School Corporation. The farmer's last name was "Castle". The state game you are referring to against Portage was 1994.

11 hours ago, HHF said:

Memorial vs Cathedral

Mater Dei vs Chatard

Castle vs Center Grove

Jasper vs Mt Vernon

Nobody wants memorial vs cathedral lol

what we really want is Memorial Vs Gibson Southern lol.

Especially on this forum where 2 of the largest fan groups on here are EM and GS 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Nobody wants memorial vs cathedral lol

what we really want is Memorial Vs Gibson Southern lol.

Especially on this forum where 2 of the largest fan groups on here are EM and GS 

I sure as heck don't want to schedule Cathedral. There is nothing to gain for either school. Cathedral is in a league with CG and few others when it comes to quality and quantity of athletes. We are close to 2A enrollment and already razor thin depth-wise trying to compete in 4A. Last season is a prime example. Barely escape a very good East Central in Regional and then nip and tuck with MV Fortville in Semi-State until our SIAC POY RB goes down mid-3rd Q with a separated shoulder and that, as they say, was all she wrote...

Memorial and GS needs to happen. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Paradise1960 said:

A farmer in Paradise (Newburgh), IN donated/sold some of his land to the Warrick County School Corporation. The farmer's last name was "Castle". The state game you are referring to against Portage was 1994.

I was "way off"

5 hours ago, Titan32 said:

Interesting take

I would look at it as SIAC has 5 of the top 6.

That sounds much more impressive

1 hour ago, HHF said:

I was "way off"

Interesting take

I would look at it as SIAC has 5 of the top 6.

That sounds much more impressive

Would be if you could lop off the bottom half of the conference I suppose.  Well at least Vincennes is making the SIAC stronger.

Edited by Titan32