Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

The SIAC Thread

4 hours ago, Esso Ayche said:

SIAC has a strong in-conference schedule, I was just giving a friendly jab about being locked in.  But it does give the rest of the state something to argue about with the Sagarin numbers! lol

Personally, I am ready for the next GS-Memorial matchup... been far too long! I think both teams look forward to that clash.

There are weak teams in the siac but I do like all the matchups except Bosse, Harrison, and Vincennes.  I can remember the week 2 non conference schedule being a nightmare for not only Memorial but several siac teams. I think EM played Mater Dei a couple times week 2 in non conference games and a team from St. Louis area.  I can recall North going all the way to Michigan because the AD insisted on them playing 9 games. 
If schedule had room I’d love to see a GS or HH on it. Hopefully Memorial will get back to 3A and sectional 32.  

Edited by Screagle

7 hours ago, Screagle said:

There are weak teams in the siac but I do like all the matchups except Bosse, Harrison, and Vincennes.  I can remember the week 2 non conference schedule being a nightmare for not only Memorial but several siac teams. I think EM played Mater Dei a couple times week 2 in non conference games and a team from St. Louis area.  I can recall North going all the way to Michigan because the AD insisted on them playing 9 games. 
If schedule had room I’d love to see a GS or HH on it. Hopefully Memorial will get back to 3A and sectional 32.  

About the time Memorial gets back to 3A (if it ever happens)....GS will be getting dang close to 4A, oh the irony of it all LOL.  I still think the SIAC having 1 non-conference game would be a change that if you surveyed all the coaches in the conference, it would win the vote easily.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

With all due respect, it’s not the SIAC schedule preventing a GS-EM matchup. You can thank the success factor for that. 

With Bosse moving up, I hope Lincoln gets moved into 32. Sectionals will only give Boonville, Lincoln, and Mater Dei a chance for some fresh matchups each year. 

I also hope for Lincoln to be moved to 32.  Memorial is where it belongs for sectionals so at least an opportunity for a regular season matchup would have been nice for GS to take the 4-3 lead in the Hurley Hart era.  I almost called that the HH era, but didn't want to get the boys from Spencer County excited LOL.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Titan32 said:

About the time Memorial gets back to 3A (if it ever happens)....GS will be getting dang close to 4A, oh the irony of it all LOL.  I still think the SIAC having 1 non-conference game would be a change that if you surveyed all the coaches in the conference, it would win the vote easily.

I think you would be surprised how many don’t mind 10 teams. I know 6 personally who are happy they don’t have to search for games and travel. Not sure about Castle, North, VL, and Jasper.  I know the SIAC doesn’t have to leave conference to find good competition.  I completely understand the PACs need for non conference games or at least why HH and GS need those games. I will also say, IMO, GS run to state was helped by more than just scheduling. Obviously, years of hard work from GS faithful played a huge role as well, but if any GS supporter acts like EM and Chatard being bummed wasn’t huge…..I call BS.  On siac being closed to scheduling…. 1 team played for state title and another basically was in a state championship semi state because the winner was going to walk to a W in 4A. I don’t see it hurting the siac as much as PAC fans like to believe.  Just opinions from an old dude. 

• Like 1

On a side note Hart vs Hurley. 
Harts 3 wins came against 3 Memorial teams who combined to win 9 games and 4 or 5 of those wins were after tournament started. 2 of those games were a dog fight and 1 a blowout.  Possibly 3 of the worst teams Memorial put on the field in Hurley’s career. 

Hurley’s 3 wins against 3 GS teams that combined to won 29 games. 
Though the head to head is deadlocked, the 3 wins were against bottom of the pack siac Memorial teams. 

36 minutes ago, Screagle said:

Harts 3 wins came against 3 Memorial teams who combined to win 9 games and 4 or 5 of those wins were after tournament started. 2 of those games were a dog fight and 1 a blowout.  Possibly 3 of the worst teams Memorial put on the field in Hurley’s career. 

Though the head to head is deadlocked, the 3 wins were against bottom of the pack siac Memorial teams. 

As great as Brady Allen is, I still think MHS would’ve beaten GS last year.

The Titans struggled with (but beat) Lawrenceburg.  The Tigers struggled with (but beat) East Central.

Those two teams played:  EC beat Lawrenceburg 34-6.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2022 at 10:31 AM, Screagle said:

I think you would be surprised how many don’t mind 10 teams. I know 6 personally who are happy they don’t have to search for games and travel. Not sure about Castle, North, VL, and Jasper.  I know the SIAC doesn’t have to leave conference to find good competition.  I completely understand the PACs need for non conference games or at least why HH and GS need those games. I will also say, IMO, GS run to state was helped by more than just scheduling. Obviously, years of hard work from GS faithful played a huge role as well, but if any GS supporter acts like EM and Chatard being bummed wasn’t huge…..I call BS.  On siac being closed to scheduling…. 1 team played for state title and another basically was in a state championship semi state because the winner was going to walk to a W in 4A. I don’t see it hurting the siac as much as PAC fans like to believe.  Just opinions from an old dude. 

My own personal survey of 3 HCs said they would like to have 1 non-conference game.  I don't think any of them "need" it...or any of them who think they wouldn't be just fine without it.  I'm just saying, I bet almost all would say it would be a nice thing to be able to have that game to play with, to either create a new rivalry, play down when your down, play up when your up, or for as a reason as dumb and tying the SIAC into the rest of the state for Sagarin.

I don't think anyone in 3A was bummed Chatard is where they belong in 4A or even Memorial for that matter.  But this season it wouldn't have mattered.  Anyone not located on Lincoln Ave. that knows football will tell you that.  

Yes, the SIAC is a clearly superior conference to the PAC in EVERY sport.  It is supposed to be, it is a metro area 4A and 5A conference (primarily).  The PAC is primarily a rural 2A and 3A conference.  We will NEVER  have the athlete pool the SIAC does (especially the P&Ps), for that reason our HC really likes the flexibility of his non-conference schedule.  That said, Heritage Hills continues to use the entirety of it's non-conference schedule to play schools on the small side of the conference and despite that, they made it to a state championship game.

On 3/12/2022 at 10:55 AM, Screagle said:

There is zero logic to this analysis.  Here is the thing, Memorial isn't the Memorial of 2017 and 2018 every year.  Gibson Southern isn't the Gibson Southern of 2015 and 2021 every year.  To sit here and try to give some games more merit than others in the 6 matchups is just silly.  Memorial has a great HC and a nice staff, even that QB coach isn't horrible...so they are never bad.  GS's record is about the same in regular season each year (especially before we got the non conference flexibility) for the up years and the down years, so doing a record comparison of the teams you beat in the series is just silly.  Memorials 3 wins aren't any "better" that the 3 GS wins.... period end of story.   A series is a series...I would expect a baseball guy to say we only lost because our stud wasn't pitching LOL (so the games you won don't count LMAO), and that is what you are saying here (the stud being Memorial 2017-2018).  I try not to rank our last 11 teams but 2017 and 2018 aren't at the top of our pack either.  Not to mention beating us by 9 in 2016 and 2017 may have been Memorials closest games in the playoffs I'm to lazy to research it.

23 hours ago, MHSTigerFan said:

The Titans struggled with (but beat) Lawrenceburg.  The Tigers struggled with (but beat) East Central.

More iffy logic here.  First off, wasn't it Memorial guys on here in the past talking about how "transitive" property doesn't work in football.   Well whoever it was, they were right.  It was 21-7 with GS and LB at half and everyone in the stadium felt like a running clock was eminent.  Came right out after half and made it 28-7 (there was no "struggling").  We got a little cute in the second half expecting them to lay down and made a couple silly errors to let them back in it.  In a 7 game series we running clock that team 4 out of 7.  Memorial would have been just another bug on the windshield this season. 

I know at tailgates and cocktail parties, it's fun to talk about the state championship that got away from the Tigers this year if success factor hadn't cheated them out of what they deserve, what is implicit in the contract.  But, even given the advantages they have when playing in 3A, this year probably wouldn't have been the year.

neutral field
[2021] South Warren (Bowling Green, KY) 31, [2021] Reitz Memorial (Evansville, IN) 17

neutral field
[2021] Brebeuf Jesuit Prep (Indianapolis, IN) 27, [2021] Reitz Memorial (Evansville, IN) 22

neutral field
[2021] Gibson Southern (Fort Branch, IN) 34, [2021] Reitz Memorial (Evansville, IN) 22

That said Memorial was really good this year.  In Fact probably about as good as our second best team in the Hart era.

neutral field
[2021] Reitz Memorial (Evansville, IN) 28, [2015] Gibson Southern (Fort Branch, IN) 27

The simple fact is most years Memorial is going to be better than us and they should be as a Metro P&P.  It should never be close between a Metro P&P with a top notch coaching staff and a rule public school in a corn field.  For that reason I don't think most Titan fans feel any kind of rivalry exist at all between these two teams.  Rivalries, when at their best in high school sports, are between very "like" or "similar" schools, like a GS and HH for example.  Somehow, by the grace of God, GS as been the most consistently winning 3A public school in the state for the Hart era.

Yes, I would personally enjoy that uphill battle against a Metro P&P like Memorial as non-conference game.  It would be very cool.  Was it nice beating Memorial at their homecoming this year in both JV and Varsity basketball....YES it was, but more in that David Goliath kind of way, you know that old testament stuff first book of Samuel (as devout Catholics I'm sure you guys are familiar with that story).  But not really in a Rivalry way. 

• Like 3

On 3/12/2022 at 11:35 AM, MHSTigerFan said:

Definitely not Lol 

Lawrenceburg was basically blown out but had a great comeback and had some momentum.  The 3rd Qtr alone there were probably 3 or 4 GS drives that stalled out inside the 30 and resulted in 0 points.  

I would also like to point out that last year I specifically pointed out that this BS would happen.  Everyone expected Gs to make a run and I said if they did accomplish it all the memorial fans and everyone would immediately pivot to saying crap like “well if chatard or memorial would have been there….” And look where we are now.  

GS built a schedule that had transitive foes of Chatard/Cathedral/Center Grove and here you are trying to say East Central via transitive was the real determination for your conclusion. LOL

9 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Definitely not Lol 

Lawrenceburg was basically blown out but had a great comeback and had some momentum.  The 3rd Qtr alone there were probably 3 or 4 GS drives that stalled out inside the 30 and resulted in 0 points.  

I would also like to point out that last year I specifically pointed out that this BS would happen.  Everyone expected Gs to make a run and I said if they did accomplish it all the memorial fans and everyone would immediately pivot to saying crap like “well if chatard or memorial would have been there….” And look where we are now.  

GS built a schedule that had transitive foes of Chatard/Cathedral/Center Grove and here you are trying to say East Central via transitive was the real determination for your conclusion. LOL

That’s what big brothers do. Keep little brother in check.  😎

• Haha 1

We spend a lot of time talking about non-SIAC teams and hypothetical matchups, but what else are message boards for?

In real SIAC news, congrats to these young men for being selected to the N/S All-Star game.

Offense: Jacob Potts OL, Jasper. Eli McDurmon WR, Mater Dei. Ray Brodie RB, Memorial. 

Defense: Garrett Mooney DE, North. Adam Watson LB, Castle. Stephen Pritchett P, Central. 

• Like 2

On 3/11/2022 at 6:24 PM, Screagle said:

I did see the PAC let the powerhouse Tecumseh Braves in. Do they even have football?  Who’s next, Cannelton? 

Not really a matter of letting Tecumseh in. Tecumseh is already a member of the PAC. They were just allowed to not compete as a conference team in football. That took a agreement of the conference members to be allowed to play as a independent in football. All that vote did is take away that exception for Tecumseh.

Time for the unofficial way too early preseason power rankings (likelihood):

1. Mater Dei (It’s Coach Goebels)

2. Memorial (Hurley time)

3. Jasper (They always find a way)

4. Castle (depends on the QB, but that defense 👀)

5. Reitz (Nice additions to the offense)

6. North (Took some hits, but they should be solid again)

7. Bosse (I got faith in the Bulldogs)

8. Central (Long road ahead for the Bears)

9. Harrison (Brooks Thomas is legit, hope the Warriors can get some confidence)

10. Vincennes Lincoln (Might be another long year for the Alices)

11 hours ago, TigerFan20 said:

I was just about to say it’s been quiet and see if anybody had any new updates or thoughts. Love me some early pre-season rankings. I mostly agree with your list. I think Memorial finishes at the top, especially if the RB situation works out. This could be the year Reitz jumps ahead of Castle and/or Jasper. Lots of young talent that is experienced now plus the huge addition that was previously discussed. I think North is just as competitive as last year but replacing a QB like Brawdy will not be easy. The top two seem unanimous, but the 3-6 could really finish any way. Your bottom four are probably spot on. 

We’re getting closer but it pains me that we’re still 5 months away from games. May even get an itch to try a preseason All-SIAC team soon.

Edited by Football Fanatic
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Football Fanatic said:

We’re getting closer but it pains me that we’re still 5 months away from games. May even get an itch to try a preseason All-SIAC team soon.

That Is true, we are also less than 3 months until the “unofficial” preseason practices in June, football is just around the corner. Heard Memorial is working hard in the weight room and North/Reitz getting some camp exposure 

23 hours ago, TigerFan20 said:

Being a Mater Dei fan and parent, I hope you are right about the top of the list. I believe you are close but agree that this could be the year Reitz makes a leap. If Castle can score look out because that defense will be stout. I have no idea about Jasper but after last year there is no way I'm counting them out. Mater Dei has some big shoes to fill but there is a lot coming back too. Memorial has some questions to answer as well. It will be interesting to see who lines up in their backfield when games begin, but with that O-line they should be successful. I think the bottom half is spot on. North should be tough, Bosse improved, Central is going to have some tough times as will Harrison and VL. 

Can't wait to get going and we haven't even had a baseball game yet. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Spitting Llamas said:

Being a Mater Dei fan and parent, I hope you are right about the top of the list. I believe you are close but agree that this could be the year Reitz makes a leap. If Castle can score look out because that defense will be stout. I have no idea about Jasper but after last year there is no way I'm counting them out. Mater Dei has some big shoes to fill but there is a lot coming back too. Memorial has some questions to answer as well. It will be interesting to see who lines up in their backfield when games begin, but with that O-line they should be successful. I think the bottom half is spot on. North should be tough, Bosse improved, Central is going to have some tough times as will Harrison and VL. 

Can't wait to get going and we haven't even had a baseball game yet. 

This was probably my toughest preseason rankings I have done so far. I’ve honestly been thinking about it for a week. The Top 4 is really tough to decide about, as each of those teams can compete (Jasper v Memorial will be one heck of a game). Mater Dei and Memorial will likely be the preseason top 2 (returning players/experience). However, if Castle can figure out a few things on their offense, they will be TOUGH. North/Reitz are pretty even, but Reitz is starting to gain some steam. North’s RB room should be really good with Northington and St. Louis. I think we might see a 4/5 win Bosse team, can’t tell you why, but I got faith. Central, Harrison, VL are up in the air.

Non-football news, but Jasper has hired Brittany Maners (daughter of John Hart and sister of Nick.)  I wonder if that means her husband Jared, former coach at Princeton, will be joining the staff at Jasper? 

https://www.courierpress.com/story/sports/high-school/2022/03/29/ihsaa-girls-basketball-brittany-maners-named-jasper-high-school-coach/7199248001/

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

Non-football news, but Jasper has hired Brittany Maners (daughter of John Hart and sister of Nick.)  I wonder if that means her husband Jared, former coach at Princeton, will be joining the staff at Jasper? 

https://www.courierpress.com/story/sports/high-school/2022/03/29/ihsaa-girls-basketball-brittany-maners-named-jasper-high-school-coach/7199248001/

I could see it if Jasper has any room

To stir up some conversation:

How will the conference look overall in the 2022 season?

Will Jasper defend its title or will a new/co champion will be crowned?

QB trouble in Paradise? Who will take the reign of Castle’s QB1 for the season?

Who replaces the Dynamic Duo RB combo at Memorial? Or potentially a new QB behind Memorial’s O-line?

Can the Huskies finally get over the 5 win hump and get a winning season?

Do we see an improved Bosse team coming into the season?

Judging by the off season, is Reitz slowly becoming a potential Dark Horse in the SIAC? Or will the Panthers at least get over the losing season hump.

How do the teams of VL, Central, Harrison look like this upcoming season?

Can Mater Dei make another trip at the State Finals?

Favorite(s) in the SIAC this season?

Most intriguing matchup?

Deepest postseason run? Or multiple deep runs?

Hardest schedule?

Team to beat in the SIAC?

Will Tango make his Chili in Jasper?

Some questions to discuss for the next couple of months