Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

The SIAC Thread

32 minutes ago, tango said:

What's wrong with using Cub? 

It's just not really a thing anymore (ie 8th grade being the first opportunity to play as a "mini/cub" version of the HS in the HS colors). 

Seems like only a few schools hold on to the old concept. 

IMHO Youth leagues should be 1st through 6th grades.  Full middle school schedules for both 7th and 8th graders under their middle/feeder school name or HS name when appropriate.  

1 hour ago, Titan32 said:

It's just not really a thing anymore (ie 8th grade being the first opportunity to play as a "mini/cub" version of the HS in the HS colors). 

IMHO Youth leagues should be 1st through 6th grades.  Full middle school schedules for both 7th and 8th graders under their middle/feeder school name or HS name when appropriate.  

I'm not sure what the local schools call the 8th grade level anymore. We use "Cub" for our 7th and 8th grade teams because we don't have middle schools. 

1 hour ago, Titan32 said:

I think the K-8 school building model used by the SGSC and Evansville Diocese is outdated, but that is a discussion for another day.

So you're saying the South Gibson Elite Twigapoos should be simply known as the Titans?  How boring. 

Just now, oldtimeqb said:

I think the K-8 school building model used by the SGSC and Evansville Diocese is outdated, but that is a discussion for another day.

So you're saying the South Gibson Elite Twigapoos should be simply known as the Titans?  How boring. 

LOL.  Our middle school football has been consolidated since something like '92.  So even though the team is comprised of three different K-8 schools they play as "Titans", full 7th and full 8th grade schedules played on the same nights.  Typically Thursdays and some Tuesdays.  I think just about all area schools are this way (7th and 8th schedules) including Castle North and South, and Evansville North.  Harrison has been able to play us 7th and 8th grade games before as well.  So has Mater Dei although there is competition on the west side between playing 7th grade youth league and 7th grade for "Mater Dei" I am told....just hearsay to me.

1 hour ago, oldtimeqb said:

The diocese outdated? Whaaaaat? 

20 hours ago, TigerFan20 said:

Breaking news: Memorial Senior Barry Duff has committed to Akron!

Another reason a kid shouldn’t be punished by Andy Owen and the ihsaa for transferring. This opportunity never happens if Duff stays at his previous school.  

Edited by Screagle
  • Like 2
  • Disdain 1

1 hour ago, Screagle said:

Another reason a kid shouldn’t be punished by Andy Owen and the ihsaa for transferring. This opportunity never happens if Duff stays at his previous school.  

We shall see how the Rodes situation will go in a couple of weeks

On 4/8/2022 at 12:09 PM, Titan32 said:

LOL.  Our middle school football has been consolidated since something like '92. 

South Gibson middle school football was consolidated in the fall of ‘85.  A year after a certain #32 moved further down Coal Mine road.  

18 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

But you used to have your own middle school field… until futbol showed up.

Yes sir....we also played a lot of Freshman games there.  IMHO they should have build a soccer complex at the high school.

On 3/13/2022 at 2:41 PM, Titan32 said:

My own personal survey of 3 HCs said they would like to have 1 non-conference game.  I don't think any of them "need" it...or any of them who think they wouldn't be just fine without it.  I'm just saying, I bet almost all would say it would be a nice thing to be able to have that game to play with, to either create a new rivalry, play down when your down, play up when your up, or for as a reason as dumb and tying the SIAC into the rest of the state for Sagarin.

I don't think anyone in 3A was bummed Chatard is where they belong in 4A or even Memorial for that matter.  But this season it wouldn't have mattered.  Anyone not located on Lincoln Ave. that knows football will tell you that.  

Yes, the SIAC is a clearly superior conference to the PAC in EVERY sport.  It is supposed to be, it is a metro area 4A and 5A conference (primarily).  The PAC is primarily a rural 2A and 3A conference.  We will NEVER  have the athlete pool the SIAC does (especially the P&Ps), for that reason our HC really likes the flexibility of his non-conference schedule.  That said, Heritage Hills continues to use the entirety of it's non-conference schedule to play schools on the small side of the conference and despite that, they made it to a state championship game.

There is zero logic to this analysis.  Here is the thing, Memorial isn't the Memorial of 2017 and 2018 every year.  Gibson Southern isn't the Gibson Southern of 2015 and 2021 every year.  To sit here and try to give some games more merit than others in the 6 matchups is just silly.  Memorial has a great HC and a nice staff, even that QB coach isn't horrible...so they are never bad.  GS's record is about the same in regular season each year (especially before we got the non conference flexibility) for the up years and the down years, so doing a record comparison of the teams you beat in the series is just silly.  Memorials 3 wins aren't any "better" that the 3 GS wins.... period end of story.   A series is a series...I would expect a baseball guy to say we only lost because our stud wasn't pitching LOL (so the games you won don't count LMAO), and that is what you are saying here (the stud being Memorial 2017-2018).  I try not to rank our last 11 teams but 2017 and 2018 aren't at the top of our pack either.  Not to mention beating us by 9 in 2016 and 2017 may have been Memorials closest games in the playoffs I'm to lazy to research it.

More iffy logic here.  First off, wasn't it Memorial guys on here in the past talking about how "transitive" property doesn't work in football.   Well whoever it was, they were right.  It was 21-7 with GS and LB at half and everyone in the stadium felt like a running clock was eminent.  Came right out after half and made it 28-7 (there was no "struggling").  We got a little cute in the second half expecting them to lay down and made a couple silly errors to let them back in it.  In a 7 game series we running clock that team 4 out of 7.  Memorial would have been just another bug on the windshield this season. 

I know at tailgates and cocktail parties, it's fun to talk about the state championship that got away from the Tigers this year if success factor hadn't cheated them out of what they deserve, what is implicit in the contract.  But, even given the advantages they have when playing in 3A, this year probably wouldn't have been the year.

neutral field
[2021] South Warren (Bowling Green, KY) 31, [2021] Reitz Memorial (Evansville, IN) 17

neutral field
[2021] Brebeuf Jesuit Prep (Indianapolis, IN) 27, [2021] Reitz Memorial (Evansville, IN) 22

neutral field
[2021] Gibson Southern (Fort Branch, IN) 34, [2021] Reitz Memorial (Evansville, IN) 22

That said Memorial was really good this year.  In Fact probably about as good as our second best team in the Hart era.

neutral field
[2021] Reitz Memorial (Evansville, IN) 28, [2015] Gibson Southern (Fort Branch, IN) 27

The simple fact is most years Memorial is going to be better than us and they should be as a Metro P&P.  It should never be close between a Metro P&P with a top notch coaching staff and a rule public school in a corn field.  For that reason I don't think most Titan fans feel any kind of rivalry exist at all between these two teams.  Rivalries, when at their best in high school sports, are between very "like" or "similar" schools, like a GS and HH for example.  Somehow, by the grace of God, GS as been the most consistently winning 3A public school in the state for the Hart era.

Yes, I would personally enjoy that uphill battle against a Metro P&P like Memorial as non-conference game.  It would be very cool.  Was it nice beating Memorial at their homecoming this year in both JV and Varsity basketball....YES it was, but more in that David Goliath kind of way, you know that old testament stuff first book of Samuel (as devout Catholics I'm sure you guys are familiar with that story).  But not really in a Rivalry way. 

Haven't been on here in a while, so here are my thoughts on a couple things:

It's almost impossible to compare GS and Memorial. Historically, Memorial is a program with almost 100 years of football history, while GS wasn't really relevant until Hart came to Ft. Branch. The Hurley vs Hart series has been good, with really only 2 games being over before half. The 2012 game was great, with Scheller diving into the pylon in OT. The 2013 matchup over at Harrison was a good game. The 2016 game was competitive, there will always be the controversy with Sellers out at QB. The 2017 matchup might've been the most anticipated of the series, and it didn't disappoint. The 2018 and 2014 matchups were very similar, one team was just head and shoulders better, GS was loaded in 2014 and probably Memorial's best team ever in 2018. The argument about Memorial's "sub-par teams" is irrelevant, the 3 times GS won they had the better ball club, and the 3 times Memorial won we had the better ball club. Titan32 was right about GS giving us our closest games over that 2 year stretch in 2016 and 2017, aside from the regional loss in Spin City in 2016.

Now, in regards to this year:

1. GS was really GOOD, probably the best team from SW Indiana since the 2018 Memorial team.

2. The transitive property argument holds no weight in most sports, let alone when you're talking about 16-18 year old kids.

3.CalPreps is not accurate. Examples:

(2018 Memorial vs Chatard) CalPreps had Chatard favored, and we all know how that one turned out.

(2017 Memorial vs Lawrenceburg) CalPreps had Lawrenceburg favored. Final score 56-35.

4. "Memorial would have been just another bug on the windshield this season." Strong statement to make about a program that was a half way from their 6th trip to LOS in 14 years.

5. Hypothetically, if this matchup did happen, I think GS wins by a 7-10 points. Now before every GS poster on here comes for my head, hear me out. Memorial would've matched up with GS pretty well. Memorial's O-Line was big and physical in the trenches, paired against GS's weakest defensive position group, could've allowed some space for Brodie and Tyler to get into the second level. GS had some undersized DBs, while Memorial had some bigger WRs. Memorial scored on some big plays both offensively and on special teams, GS was prone to give up some big plays. GS offensive did have some promising drives stall out against better teams, if Memorial defense forces a couple stops then we've got a ball game. 

6. Alas, we didn't get to see this game. The Titans were a really good football team all year long, and in the tournament they beat whoever was put in front of them, including one of the better State Finals games I've seen, on their way to blue medals and shiny rings. While the Tigers fell 2TDs short to the best team in 4A and another trip to LOS. 

7. Lastly, the murmurs around the Titans' State Title run with Chatard and Memorial being up in 4A are pointless. GS was great all year and could've beat any team in 1A-4A and the majority of teams in 5A and 6A.

Though, the possibility of more of these matchups in the near future is dim, the seven year run was fun to watch and highly anticipated by both fan bases every year. The series isn't over, just taking a brief hiatus.

On 4/3/2022 at 6:58 PM, Screagle said:

Ben Johnson

All good players and I argue they’ve replaced equal if not better groups and keep moving forward. 

Johnson is one of the better football minds in the state, might be unrivaled south of Indy. I will say, theoretically, with USI going D1 and the possibility of a football program within the next decade, John Mark Hall may have to make a trip over to Lincoln Ave for a possible DC or even HC position.

Last thing, will Peyton Guerzini ever graduate, feels like the kid has been a stud at Castle forever. He's like the Brad Davison of the SIAC. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1