Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

The SIAC Thread

21 minutes ago, Football Fanatic said:

As far as I know Davies has been a Panther since summer hit. I think someone mentioned that he was added to last year’s roster and that the current year rosters have not been updated for most schools in the SIAC. 

As far as Herdes goes, I’ve heard all sides of the rumors. My best guess currently would be that he is at Central but not planning to play football. However, once August hits, some kids can’t resist not playing football. I think Central will struggle either way but he would obviously be a huge help at QB, especially since we don’t know who else they have there. 

Sounds about right, who knows what is going on in an 18 year olds brain

2 hours ago, TigerFan20 said:

Ben Davies is still listed on the Reitz Roster now

Blake Herdes situation is up in the air

Never realized you are a Reitz fan, what do you think of the team so far?

The past 4 years have been hell…look to get back to a winning record again. Underclassmen gained valuable experience last season, albeit full of disappointing results, (see close losses to North and Central). If I see the Reitz D give up another first down on an opponent’s 4th and 20…leading to a last minute loss…well, let’s just say I hope we’ve turned the corner on that nasty trend. Memorial seems to be the dominant force in the SIAC now. I live on the FAR West Side (Phoenix in winter/Park City in summer), and I miss watching the games in person. Thank goodness for the audio/video livestreams! Just want Reitz to get back to competing for City/SIAC/Sectional Championships. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Griffco76 said:

The past 4 years have been hell…look to get back to a winning record again. Underclassmen gained valuable experience last season, albeit full of disappointing results, (see close losses to North and Central). If I see the Reitz D give up another first down on an opponent’s 4th and 20…leading to a last minute loss…well, let’s just say I hope we’ve turned the corner on that nasty trend. Memorial seems to be the dominant force in the SIAC now. I live on the FAR West Side (Phoenix in winter/Park City in summer), and I miss watching the games in person. Thank goodness for the audio/video livestreams! Just want Reitz to get back to competing for City/SIAC/Sectional Championships. 

I’m sure your discontentment has echoed through much of the fan base. Based on their storied history, the lack of success can’t be acceptable. But I think this Reitz team will bring a lot of west side faithful back to the stands. I could definitely see a winning record in the works. I think for them it will come down to the OL since there will be new guys stepping in. However, they return/gain experienced talent everywhere else and a QB with some hype and potential. I think we are all intrigued to see what they can do. Unfortunately for them, I don’t think anybody is beating Memorial or MD except when those two play each other.

7 hours ago, Football Fanatic said:

I’m sure your discontentment has echoed through much of the fan base. Based on their storied history, the lack of success can’t be acceptable. But I think this Reitz team will bring a lot of west side faithful back to the stands. I could definitely see a winning record in the works. I think for them it will come down to the OL since there will be new guys stepping in. However, they return/gain experienced talent everywhere else and a QB with some hype and potential. I think we are all intrigued to see what they can do. Unfortunately for them, I don’t think anybody is beating Memorial or MD except when those two play each other.

The Reitz D has been pathetic the past 4 years. If we can get stops, especially in the late going, we’ll have a chance to turn the program around. That said, I’m anxious to see what Davies can do when he’s on our side of the football. I believe he’s the one who beat us in OT last year. And yes, Memorial and MD will both be a challenge again this season. Let’s see how it all pans out. I do know this. Reitz needs to move up from the middle of the pack…4-7 just isn’t gonna get it for me. 

10 hours ago, Griffco76 said:

The Reitz D has been pathetic the past 4 years. If we can get stops, especially in the late going, we’ll have a chance to turn the program around. That said, I’m anxious to see what Davies can do when he’s on our side of the football. I believe he’s the one who beat us in OT last year. And yes, Memorial and MD will both be a challenge again this season. Let’s see how it all pans out. I do know this. Reitz needs to move up from the middle of the pack…4-7 just isn’t gonna get it for me. 

4-7 won’t cut it for most of us big blue backers this year. They are bringing back the majority of their starters from last year, and Cory is in his third year at the helm. I expect to see a huge jump this year. 

31 minutes ago, TransplantedPanther said:

4-7 won’t cut it for most of us big blue backers this year. They are bringing back the majority of their starters from last year, and Cory is in his third year at the helm. I expect to see a huge jump this year. 

I’m thinking maybe 5-4 regular season for the Panthers, lots of close games last year that could’ve been flipped (North, Central, and MD)

19 minutes ago, TransplantedPanther said:

That’s what I want to hear. I have confidence in Cory. My first year watching Reitz FB at the Bowl was 1966. Chuck Brunson was a beast, and his sons have always been great competitors. It’s the kids that have to execute on the field. I look for a vast improvement in our fortunes given we have a lot of returning starters as you stated.
There were many Reitz teams down through the ages that faced opponents that were bigger, stronger, and had greater depth at the skill positions. Still, Reitz football won games against said teams because they had attitude. Hell, my Senior year at Reitz, our guys were called the “pygmies”. They went 9-1 that season. They had attitude and they used that as motivation to get an advantage over the opponent no matter how outmatched the Panthers might have been otherwise.
I want to see that attitude return to Reitz football this season. Reitz will always be able to score points. It’s the defense that has to get stops and force punts. Haven’t seen that on a consistent basis in years (against the top tier teams). I hope and pray that the D comes with attitude in 2022! Love ya Blue!

4 minutes ago, TigerFan20 said:

I’m thinking maybe 5-4 regular season for the Panthers, lots of close games last year that could’ve been flipped (North, Central, and MD)

There’s some truth to your prediction. I would hope that they could notch wins against Central and North, unlike close losses to those teams last year. The turnaround has to come from at least competing against (and hopefully beating) Memorial, Jasper, and Castle. That might not happen this season but…it’s something to use as motivation on the way back to respectability in the City/SIAC wars.
The past two seasons Reitz has won the first two games out of the chute, then dropped 5 straight. I don’t want that to become a negative mindset once we get to W3 against Jasper. By the way, I welcome the Wildcats and what they bring to the SIAC. A quality athletics program in all sports. Castle is just as solid, and as I stated earlier, Memorial is probably the front-runner in the City/SIAC. Go crazy for your teams…that’s what it’s all about! As for me, I am a proud Reitz man, whose Great Uncle, Edgar Engel (my Grandpa John Engel’s brother), was a star Halfback on the 1927 Reitz football Tiny Ten Champions. Oh, and he’s also the Dr. Engel who delivered half of Evansville in the 50’s, 60’s, and 70’s before retiring. Even in his 90’s he enjoyed talking about his playing days on the Hill! You see, friends, Reitz football was in his blood…and it’s in mine as well. So looking forward to seeing what results my Reitz Panthers can achieve this season!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Griffco76 said:

There’s some truth to your prediction. I would hope that they could notch wins against Central and North, unlike close losses to those teams last year. The turnaround has to come from at least competing against (and hopefully beating) Memorial, Jasper, and Castle. That might not happen this season but…it’s something to use as motivation on the way back to respectability in the City/SIAC wars.

From an outsider view, I  see Reitz starting off 2-0 easily and possibly snag a win from North too (they took some hits and some questionable spots to fill). Will be hard beating Memorial (away), Castle (Home), and Jasper (home). MD game is pretty much a neutral field and is records are usually thrown out the window in that game. I think there will be some pressure for Coach B this season depending on how he does. Defense will improve with most starters coming back and the Offense should be good with Davies behind center, although OL might be shaky. Reitz is definitely a team I’m really interested in right now, as well as North and their squad.

Mid Summer Preseason power rankings will come out towards the end of this month.

12 hours ago, TigerFan20 said:

Would like to point out that Rodes was used as RB1 during the scrimmage 

Sounds like the Memorial staff is confident he will be released before the season begins. I'm a little surprised Rode is allowed to practice and scrimmage with the team though at this point since his transfer hasn't been cleared by the IHSAA. 

11 minutes ago, Spitting Llamas said:

Sounds like the Memorial staff is confident he will be released before the season begins. I'm a little surprised Rode is allowed to practice and scrimmage with the team though at this point since his transfer hasn't been cleared by the IHSAA. 

To be honest, I’m interpreting the 7v7 as the presumed starters for this season (minus the OL/DL), if Rodes isn’t cleared, Baker might be a hidden beast at 6’0 185. Since a lot of them were from last year, I did see some new faces too, Memorial’s receiving Corp is going to be big, seems like the backfield might end up being solid (was worried about this). I believe we went up against 3 6A teams, 3A Danville, and 4A state runner up Northridge. Another observation I saw that Ellspermann/Fisher kept rotating on QB position 

Some other SIAC scrimmage/camp stuff, both North and Castle participated in the Indiana State Camp last week.

2 hours ago, Spitting Llamas said:

They can't block the transfer. They only control the athletics. With limited eligibility he can participate in everything except a varsity game. Meanwhile his former teammates who transferred to Reitz will be allowed to suit up every Friday night. So glad the IHSAA is all about protecting the kids. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tango said:

They can't block the transfer. They only control the athletics. With limited eligibility he can participate in everything except a varsity game. Meanwhile his former teammates who transferred to Reitz will be allowed to suit up every Friday night. So glad the IHSAA is all about protecting the kids. 

Wonder if the team knows something we don’t, since it appears he will be RB1 at the moment along side Baker