Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

The SIAC Thread

11 hours ago, Spitting Llamas said:

Sounds like the Memorial staff is confident he will be released before the season begins. I'm a little surprised Rode is allowed to practice and scrimmage with the team though at this point since his transfer hasn't been cleared by the IHSAA. 

I don’t think they’re actually all that confident.  He’s allowed to practice.  And, in case he wins the appeal, it’s prudent to have him do so.

His dad is in the process of moving to a newly built house.  There is some hope this would help Porter’s case.

13 minutes ago, MHSTigerFan said:

I don’t think they’re actually all that confident.  He’s allowed to practice.  And, in case he wins the appeal, it’s prudent to have him do so.

His dad is in the process of moving to a newly built house.  There is some hope this would help Porter’s case.

Probably would be the best case for him, since it would be considered as a change in residence

Expect Rode to be RB1……..for Westfield. 
I don’t see a QB competition this year. Ellspermann is gonna be the guy. I see Fishers being the punter and punter only. He could see some time in games that are over late. 

14 minutes ago, Screagle said:

I don’t see a QB competition this year. Ellspermann is gonna be the guy. I see Fishers being the punter and punter only. He could see some time in games that are over late. 

No way he goes back to Westfield. 

1 hour ago, Screagle said:

That was the rumor coming out after the season was over about Rodes moving back to Westfield, I think that ship has sailed on, would also be his 3rd straight transfer 

Edited by TigerFan20

36 minutes ago, Screagle said:

You could be right. Just pick a public school and all good 

I hate to say it, but that’s probably right.

If he enrolled at North - which is the district he’s in - I bet that would go through without a hitch.

I loathe the IHSAA.  It’s so transparent.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TigerFan20 said:

We shall see how the summer will go regarding him

Final appeal coming up. Can’t see IHSAA suddenly agreeing to allow his release to a private school.  It’s about the kids. 😂

Final appeal coming up. Can’t see IHSAA suddenly agreeing to allow his release to a private school.  It’s about the kids. 😂

I think we might be seeing a legal issue in this once the appeal is probably denied

The Rhode kid looked outstanding tonight in Memorials 7 v 7 11 v 11. 
New Pal, Castle, and Boonville. Memorials Leo Collins could be a problem and the OL looked as advertised.  New Pal really stood out with size and athletes all over.  Castle going to have growing pains at QB but D looked sharp.  

30 minutes ago, Screagle said:

New Pal, Castle, and Boonville. Memorials Leo Collins could be a problem and the OL looked as advertised.  New Pal really stood out with size and athletes all over.  Castle going to have growing pains at QB but D looked sharp.  

Ha, beat me too it since I was about to talk about that, this offseason has got me slacking!

Purdy is one of the best defensive players in southern Indiana.

2 minutes ago, TigerFan20 said:

Tilly is officially gone from the team with Caden Gordon to replace him for QB1

It goes without saying that this is a big loss for the Knights.  I thought Gordon looked pretty green last night, which I guess isn't surprising.

24 minutes ago, MHSTigerFan said:

It goes without saying that this is a big loss for the Knights.  I thought Gordon looked pretty green last night, which I guess isn't surprising.

They also have Harper to choose from also, but big decisions ahead for Castle in this coming weeks. I wasn’t able to go to the scrimmage last night, but did hear some bits about it. How did we do overall, cause it seems like Leo Collins is like 6’4 now from the looks

26 minutes ago, TigerFan20 said:

They also have Harper to choose from also, but big decisions ahead for Castle in this coming weeks. I wasn’t able to go to the scrimmage last night, but did hear some bits about it. How did we do overall, cause it seems like Leo Collins is like 6’4 now from the looks

Leo had some great catches against all 3 opposing defenses.

I don't know if he's taller than he was last season.  But he's certainly gotten bigger and stronger (he didn't play baseball this spring and has clearly been putting in a lot of time in the weight room).  His mixture of height, reach, and strength with pretty good speed is going to be a matchup nightmare for teams.

In a scrimmage like this without normal jersey numbers, it's not easy to tell who is who.  But I'll do my best...

Offensively:

Both QBs had some quality reps and throws.  If I had to guess today, I think we'll be seeing Ellspermann holding down QB1.  But I wouldn't be at all surprised to see some mixing it up -- as was done with Lindauer and Stepto as wildcat.  I think it would be hard to just keep Fisher on the bench.

I thought Porter Rode looked really good.  Forceful running, ran well off blocks, nice cutting (despite maybe a lingering knee or ankle issue?).  But, obviously, it's hard to make too much of an RB in a non-live scrimmage.  I think he'll be our primary RB if he's eligible.

We were moving guys around on O-Line.  1st team OL looked good and held their own against NP's bigs (including Burgess, who is headed to Louisville, and Moore, who is headed pretty much wherever he wants).  Not sure who they're settling on to replace Diaz and Duff.  Mattingly is out with lower back issues.  Vaughn, Waller, Seward, and Wade each got a lot of snaps.  Weinzapfel, Hartig, and Cassidy looked like 3-year starters.

Defensively:

I thought they looked OK, considering that we've got so many shoes to fill.

Kaleb Collins was out with an injury (leg, maybe?).  Kelton Farmer and Weinzapfel looked like their usual selves up front.  Joey Collins saw a lot of action at DE.  As with OL, we moved guys in and out a lot up front.

Pass coverage was a bright spot.  We did give a couple up.  But the opposing QBs usually had trouble finding open receivers.

I thought Carac Johnson looked good in pursuit and closing.

We weren't all that great containing the outside, unfortunately.  That's clearly going to need some work.  I think all 3 opposing offenses had success on us out there.

13 minutes ago, TigerFan20 said:

Looks like Memorial’s O-Line will be massive again 

Castle’s D is going to be very solid too

Purdy is an elite LB.  He was easily one of the best defenders on the field last night.  Fast, strong as hell, great instincts, gets off blocks well.

Castle D had some issues with coverage and and DL, though.  At least against Memorial.  I didn't watch them all that much against Boonville and NP.

1 hour ago, MHSTigerFan said:

We were moving guys around on O-Line.  1st team OL looked good and held their own against NP's bigs (including Burgess, who is headed to Louisville, and Moore, who is headed pretty much wherever he wants).  Not sure who they're settling on to replace Diaz and Duff.  Mattingly is out with lower back issues.  Vaughn, Waller, Seward, and Wade each got a lot of snaps.  Weinzapfel, Hartig, and Cassidy looked like 3-year starters.

If I had to guess

LT- Cassidy 

LG- Weinzapfel 

C- ?

RG- Hartig

RT- ? Waller

1 hour ago, MHSTigerFan said:

thought they looked OK, considering that we've got so many shoes to fill.

Makes sense, however, in Coach Johnson we trust

Edited by TigerFan20