Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

The SIAC Thread

9 hours ago, TigerFan20 said:

Memorial made an statement tonight to beat Mater Dei for the 6th straight year and controlled the game. Looks like they have found their QB1 in Fisher. Mater Dei will be good, but it seems like they were gassed out in the 2H

Congrats to MHS on a well deserved victory. The Tigers seem ready to put their early season struggles behind them.  T  I thought the main difference last night was the Tigers' ability to control the LOS on both sides of the ball. 

MD could not open holes on offense to support any consistent running game which left them very one dimensional.  Wunderlich held the ball too long and took several sacks at key pts in the game trying to make a play that wasn't there. Sometimes the best play is to throw the ball away and not lose 10+yds to a sack.

On Defense, MD had trouble getting any pressure on MHS QB, which is a key part of MD's defensive scheme.  Last week at VL, I thought our defensive backs looked a step slow and nothing I saw vs the Tigers last night changed that opinion.  Compounding this, our DBs often looked confused on coverages and allowed WRs behind them all night long. 

Lots to work on this week for the Wildcats.

28 minutes ago, MDAlum82 said:

Congrats to MHS on a well deserved victory. The Tigers seem ready to put their early season struggles behind them.  T  I thought the main difference last night was the Tigers' ability to control the LOS on both sides of the ball. 

MD could not open holes on offense to support any consistent running game which left them very one dimensional.  Wunderlich held the ball too long and took several sacks at key pts in the game trying to make a play that wasn't there. Sometimes the best play is to throw the ball away and not lose 10+yds to a sack.

On Defense, MD had trouble getting any pressure on MHS QB, which is a key part of MD's defensive scheme.  Last week at VL, I thought our defensive backs looked a step slow and nothing I saw vs the Tigers last night changed that opinion.  Compounding this, our DBs often looked confused on coverages and allowed WRs behind them all night long. 

Lots to work on this week for the Wildcats.

Sounds like it, but MD should be fine for the rest of the season. A lot of valuable players on that team, that could lead to another State Trip in November. Wunderlich, when he had the time, threw it quick for usually 10-16 yards at a time. Mater Dei will be a force in the playoffs, you can count on that

8 hours ago, tango said:

Can't wait to see Memorial and Reitz at Enlow....

Let’s focus on Harrison first…

10 minutes ago, TigerFan20 said:

According to C&P, Memorial’s OL Weinzapfel and DL Collins are nearing a return

Hopefully Kyle has some good reason to write that.

I did happen to overhear somebody ask Drew after the game when he’d be back.  He said “a couple weeks.”

This team would really be firing on all cylinders if we get those two back and healthy.

3 minutes ago, MHSTigerFan said:

I did happen to overhear somebody ask Drew after the game when he’d be back.  He said “a couple weeks.”

This team would really be firing on all cylinders if we get those two back and healthy.

Hopefully they come back very soon, 2 important players on the team. If I had to guess, we will have them back towards the end of the regular season/beginning of playoffs 

26 minutes ago, MHSTigerFan said:

The wording was updated to reflect what I initially wrote because, honestly, something changed in editing. Hurley and players talked about others who could return. No specific timeframe. Hope that clears any confusion.

54 minutes ago, kylesokeland said:

The wording was updated to reflect what I initially wrote because, honestly, something changed in editing. Hurley and players talked about others who could return. No specific timeframe. Hope that clears any confusion.

Ok, thanks for the clarification.

1 hour ago, kylesokeland said:

I should also add that I really value your and the rest of the C&P team’s coverage of local sports, especially HS.

It’s the #1 reason I’ve always kept my subscription.

Keep up the great work!

3 hours ago, MDAlum82 said:

Last week at VL, I thought our defensive backs looked a step slow and nothing I saw vs the Tigers last night changed that opinion. 

Very good point.   If you go back and watch the two long runs by VL (1 TD by the VL QB and second put them into the red zone), the safety slightly over runs the play, then looks very slow trying to get back to the middle to catch the runner.   A couple plays last night the Memorial guys just out ran them deep.

Week 4 Review:

Not surprised Memorial beat MD but I thought MD would score more points. Memorial is getting healthier and should be rolling by playoff time. MD can still make a title run in 2A but they will have to figure out their identity a little more and put more drives together.

Vincennes keeps on rolling. That's a team nobody really wants to play and a team that might be able to give Gibson Southern a game in that sectional. They have some impressive wins, and that close loss to Reitz seems more impressive considering how good Reitz has been. They still have a few tough opponents and I am looking forward to see how they stack up to the grind that is the SIAC schedule.

Reitz is mighty impressive. They dominated a good North team in every facet at their place. I just don't think there are many, if any, teams in southern Indiana that can match up with their skills positions. The defense has proven people wrong as well and seems to be much improved. 

Jasper has to be feeling a bit better after starting a freshman and getting a blowout win. Having the future bright at the QB position is always a positive. They still have a few more opportunities coming up to get statement wins, but not sure if they have the right pieces to the puzzle this year.

Castle has established their identify and will be tough for any team to beat with the defense they have. I think they could still lose 1 or 2 more games in the SIAC, but I think they will have a good shot in their sectional. I believe they play Reitz in a few weeks which should be a great matchup.

• Like 2

I guess this is what I would call my Power Rankings after Week 4?

1. Reitz 

2. Vincennes 

3. Castle 

4. Memorial 

5. Mater Dei 

6. North 

6. Jasper 

8. Harrison 

9. Bosse

10. Central

After Reitz and Vincennes it gets tricky, Eye-test definitely was a huge factor in this 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Football Fanatic said:

Did any of you see the high school fantasy football draft the C&P did this week? Thoughts on the teams they picked?

I saw it (subscriber only article).  I thought it was a nifty approach for an article.

https://www.courierpress.com/story/sports/high-school/2022/09/14/indiana-high-school-football-evansville-area-fantasy-draft/69492051007/

OUR FINAL TEAMS

Hendrix Magley: QB Mason Wunderlich, QB Nicot Burnett, RB Devan Roberts, WR Hayden Summers, Castle D, HC Mike Goebel.

Treasure Washington: QB Tanner Boyd, RB Chase Jones, RB Joey Pierre, WR Brayden Bishop, Southridge D, HC Scott Buening.

Kyle Sokeland: QB Ben Davies, QB Liam Stone, RB Angelo St. Louis, WR Leo Collins, Memorial D, HC John Hurley

Anthony Kristensen: QB Xander Hunt, RB Jonas Burnett, WR Xavier Thomas, WR Sean DeLong, Tecumseh D, HC Nick Hart.

Edited by Titan32

28 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

Hendrix Magley: QB Mason Wunderlich, QB Nicot Burnett, RB Devan Roberts, WR Hayden Summers, Castle D, HC Mike Goebel.

Treasure Washington: QB Tanner Boyd, RB Chase Jones, RB Joey Pierre, WR Brayden Bishop, Southridge D, HC Scott Buening.

Kyle Sokeland: QB Ben Davies, QB Liam Stone, RB Angelo St. Louis, WR Leo Collins, Memorial D, HC John Hurley

Anthony Kristensen: QB Xander Hunt, RB Jonas Burnett, WR Xavier Thomas, WR Sean DeLong, Tecumseh D, HC Nick Hart.

I was trying to decide who has the best team. Real life and fantasy are a bit different and all the teams are stacked lol. Assuming it is default scoring settings...I would rank them: 1. Kristensen, 2. Magley, 3. Sokeland, 4. Washington

Edited by Football Fanatic
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Football Fanatic said:

I was trying to decide who has the best team. Real life and fantasy are a bit different and all the teams are stacked lol. Assuming it is default scoring settings...I would rank them: 1. Kristensen, 2. Magley, 3. Sokeland, 4. Washington

Interesting concept and I really liked it.

But unless Hendrix is playing is a weird league that allows you to play two QB’s or put one at flex then I think he would have to be 4 just by default. 

I have played in a league like that, so it’s not out of the question. 

8 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

Interesting concept and I really liked it.

But unless Hendrix is playing is a weird league that allows you to play two QB’s or put one at flex then I think he would have to be 4 just by default. 

I have played in a league like that, so it’s not out of the question. 

Sokeland did it too and I think he said they didn't set restrictions on the flex spot. So basically whichever position they doubled up on is the flex player. Probably a good choice to go with QB there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MDAlum82 said:

Does anyone know if the MD vs Jasper game will be streamed online somewhere?  I thought I read on an earlier thread that Jasper had someone who streamed all or most of their games, similar to Memorial and the IndianaSRN??

18 WJTS usually does it

Edited by TigerFan20