Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

The SIAC Thread

Jasper goes home after the first game of sectional for the second year in a row. We are on quite the tournament drought. 

But proud of our guys and how they played in a tough year. Multiple key freshmen got a lot of experience this year which will only help us in the future. 

Good luck to Memorial next week. Don't you dare get beat by Boonville or we will never hear the end of it. Lol

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, combthehair said:

Jasper goes home after the first game of sectional for the second year in a row. We are on quite the tournament drought. 

But proud of our guys and how they played in a tough year. Multiple key freshmen got a lot of experience this year which will only help us in the future. 

Good luck to Memorial next week. Don't you dare get beat by Boonville or we will never hear the end of it. Lol

Nothing can replace game experience. 
NEVER hear the end is 100% correct.  Lol. 

30 minutes ago, Wildcat1992 said:

Got to be a huge letdown for Reitz.  Almost as bad as undefeated Jasper losing first round last year.  Congrats to Boonville.  I didn't think they could hang with Reitz, let alone beat them.

Seems like going 9-0 in the SIAC has started an early exist Curse. I remember the SRN guys brought up on one of the Memorial streams a couple of weeks ago

33 minutes ago, TigerFan20 said:

Seems like going 9-0 in the SIAC has started an early exist Curse. I remember the SRN guys brought up on one of the Memorial streams a couple of weeks ago

Has the SIAC had many undefeated regular season champs?  How did throes seasons end?  

1 hour ago, Wildcat1992 said:

Got to be a huge letdown for Reitz.  Almost as bad as undefeated Jasper losing first round last year.  Congrats to Boonville.  I didn't think they could hang with Reitz, let alone beat them.

Definitely a huge letdown for Reitz. They have to be disappointed. Most people had them going to regionals and maybe even semi state. Usually teams that have both a great offense and great defense make those long playoff runs. However, we all suspected that the penalty bug was their weakness and would eventually be their downfall. Besides that, they missed opportunities and could not catch any breaks against Boonville. But we shouldn't forget that a majority of their team is juniors, and a sophomore QB. While they do lose some talented seniors (especially Thomas and Burnett), they return a ton of talent. I believe they return 7 starters on offense and 7 starters on defense, that includes their 3 DL that combined for 37 sacks which is tops in the state. Having 4/5 OL back with the Summers/Vera combo will be huge. We can also assume their sophomore QB will get healthy and improve. It looks like the main areas they need to replace are at RB and defensive backs. Considering their freshmen and JV both did well, they shouldn't have any problem replacing those spots. Losing early in the postseason is surely not acceptable in the Reitz community, but they have a lot to be happy about and look forward to. I expect Reitz to be even better next year. 

1 hour ago, Football Fanatic said:

Definitely a huge letdown for Reitz. They have to be disappointed. Most people had them going to regionals and maybe even semi state. Usually teams that have both a great offense and great defense make those long playoff runs. However, we all suspected that the penalty bug was their weakness and would eventually be their downfall. Besides that, they missed opportunities and could not catch any breaks against Boonville. 

Boonville is also a darn good football team. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tango said:

Boonville is also a darn good football team. 

No doubt. Their QB Conner is the real deal and has the ability to break big plays out of seemingly nothing. Something else I thought of: The Reitz defense did really well at neutralizing impact players all season - the two players they struggled against most? Xander Hunt and Clay Conner. Makes sense!

Boonville has a handful of players that go both ways which is the main reason I think Memorial will come out on top against them. But they will be absolutely pumped up and at home again, never know!

6 minutes ago, Football Fanatic said:

Boonville has a handful of players that go both ways 

As does Memorial lately.

Clay Conner will be the best athlete on the field.

Did I see/hear that RB Reece Wilder came out of the game early on? Only had 8 carries for 30 yds in the game.

1 minute ago, tango said:

Clay Conner will be the best athlete on the field.

Did I see/hear that RB Reece Wilder came out of the game early on? Only had 8 carries for 30 yds in the game.

I do agree with that. I will be interested to see what Memorial does on defense to contain him. It's not even just that he is big and athletic, he also has great speed.

That is correct, left early in the game and it sounds like from an interview that his status is up in the air awaiting tests. 

5 hours ago, Football Fanatic said:

Definitely a huge letdown for Reitz. They have to be disappointed. Most people had them going to regionals and maybe even semi state. Usually teams that have both a great offense and great defense make those long playoff runs. However, we all suspected that the penalty bug was their weakness and would eventually be their downfall. Besides that, they missed opportunities and could not catch any breaks against Boonville. But we shouldn't forget that a majority of their team is juniors, and a sophomore QB. While they do lose some talented seniors (especially Thomas and Burnett), they return a ton of talent. I believe they return 7 starters on offense and 7 starters on defense, that includes their 3 DL that combined for 37 sacks which is tops in the state. Having 4/5 OL back with the Summers/Vera combo will be huge. We can also assume their sophomore QB will get healthy and improve. It looks like the main areas they need to replace are at RB and defensive backs. Considering their freshmen and JV both did well, they shouldn't have any problem replacing those spots. Losing early in the postseason is surely not acceptable in the Reitz community, but they have a lot to be happy about and look forward to. I expect Reitz to be even better next year. 

Having watched Reitz play several times this year, IMO, their QBs became much too dependent on simply throwing the ball downfield and having one of the excellent WRs go get it, which they often did.  This did not play out vs Boonville however with the 3 INTs sealing the Panther's fate.

I have no heard this mentioned anywhere here on GID or local paper but from people at the game, they said the last extra point attempt was tipped.  Any one able to confirm this?

9 minutes ago, MDAlum82 said:

Having watched Reitz play several times this year, IMO, their QBs became much too dependent on simply throwing the ball downfield and having one of the excellent WRs go get it, which they often did.  This did not play out vs Boonville however with the 3 INTs sealing the Panther's fate.

I have no heard this mentioned anywhere here on GID or local paper but from people at the game, they said the last extra point attempt was tipped.  Any one able to confirm this?

Football Fanatic mentioned it in the Sectional 24 thread. I have not seen any film myself. It looks like Vera was a non-factor in the game. Was he injured? I thought Burnett left with an injury?