Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

The SIAC Thread

12 minutes ago, TigerFan20 said:

Most coaches would call it quits, but I think he keeps on going, however, he did recently retire from Wrestling too. We will let the MD insiders answer this one 

He retired from wrestling in 2007.

No idea on what Coach Goebel's thoughts may/may not be in regards to retirement but curious why so many people in our society assume someone will/should retire once they have reached a certain age or attained a certain level of success? 

By all accounts, Goebel still enjoys coaching football & teaching so why would he retire?  Few of us truly get to do something we love and when you are so fortunate, why would you stop "just because"?  My guess is eventually "something" will move the needle towards retirement for him.  Possibly something related to his health, he is ~ 70 yrs young, or potentially his political career - he has held various local gov't offices for the past 20 years or so, or maybe, when the right person to take over as head football coach comes along, ala Greg Schaefer for the wrestling program, retirement may seem more attractive to him.  Who knows?  

Time will tell...until then, I hope the players, coaches and fans allow themselves to enjoy this State Championship!  I was at the game in 2000, the last time Mater Dei won, and never thought it would be 22 years until the next one came along.  You just never know...

Edited by MDAlum82

5 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

That was a great kick

Fingers crossed Cam can continue to kick for the football team through his senior season.  It would be interesting to see what he can accomplish. 

The last time MD had a kicker with this kind of leg was probably Travis Wannemuelher, who kicked a 49 yd FG to lead MD to the 17 - 14 win vs an undefeated North Posey team in Sectionals several years ago.  Travis received a scholarship to play soccer (NC State?) and one of the stipulations was he could not kick for the football team his senior season.  

• Like 1

The final SIAC sagarin ratings are below.  Compared to 2020/21 The conference finished weaker at the top.  The middle was about the same.  The rise of VL added a quality middle tier team to the depth of the conference.  The bottom tier was significantly worse then last year but in line with 2020.

As for the SIAC vs PAC, Calpreps lists GS and SR as underdogs against half the SIAC on a neutral field.

SOUTHERN INDIANA
CONF.
RANK
STATE
RANK
TEAM OVERALL
RATING
SCHEDULE
STRENGTH RANK
RECENT
RATING   RANK
PREDICTOR
RATING   RANK
1 37 Evansville Mater Dei 76.26 57.90 83 81.93 31 70.42 61
2 43 Evansville Reitz 75.01 58.31 82 72.52 50 75.39 42
3 48 Evansville Memorial 73.26 62.46 63 77.21 38 69.33 64
4 49 Castle 73.26 62.61 62 77.15 39 69.27 66
5 64 Jasper 69.63 62.86 60 74.50 46 64.16 81
6 87 Evansville North 62.38 61.38 70 61.91 90 62.48 89
7 97 Vincennes Lincoln 59.97 64.10 55 58.30 103 63.28 87
8 158 Evansville Harrison 47.41 63.79 56 47.19 156 46.84 158
9 199 Evansville Bosse 37.42 65.59 52 40.46 188 33.44 211
10 243 Evansville Central 26.15 66.42 48 24.67 246 27.32

Edited by Alduflux
  • Like 1

FINAL TEAM STATS THRU WEEK 15. 

Some numbers are different due to number of games 

Team PPG 

1. Reitz 35.6 PPG

2. Vincennes 29.6 PPG

3. Castle 29.1 PPG

4. Mater Dei 29.2 PPG

5. Memorial 26.8 PPG

6. North 24.0 PPG 

7. Jasper 26.2 PPG

8. Harrison 17.5 PPG

9. Bosse 12.20 PPG

10. Central 2.6 PPG

Team Defensive PPG Allowed 

1. Reitz 12.7 PPG

2. Mater Dei 13.7 PPG

3. North 17.2 PPG

4. Memorial 17.3 PPG

5. Castle 18.9 PPG

6. Jasper 19.8 PPG

7. Vincennes 25.8 PPG

8. Harrison 29.6 PPG

9. Central 39.3 PPG 

10. Bosse 40.8 PPG

Team Offensive YPG 

1. Reitz 377.2 YPG

2. Vincennes 343.7 YPG

3. Mater Dei 337.7 YPG

4. Memorial 312.2 YPG

5. Jasper 305.08 YPG

6. North 305.1 YPG

7. Castle 292.3 YPG

8. Bosse 228.2 YPG

9. Harrison 181.7 YPG* (No Week 8 or 10 Stats)

10. Central 96.8 YPG* (No Week 7 or Week 9 Stats)

Team Passing Defense(allowed)

1. Reitz 73.1 YPG (804 yards) 

2. Memorial 94.4 YPG (1227 yards)

3. Mater Dei 104.2 YPG (1250 yards)*(No Week 8 Harrison O stats, No Tell City or NP)

4. Castle 104.5 YPG (1359 yards)

5. Harrison 105.2 YPG (947 yards)*(No Week 7 Central O stats)

6. Bosse 126.8 YPG (1268 yards)

7. North 142.9 YPG (1572 yards)* (No Week 9 Central O stats)- DNP

8. Jasper 143.1 YPG (1431 yards)

9. Central 161.5 YPG (1615 yards)

10. Vincennes 171.7 YPG (1717 yards)

Team Rushing Defense (allowed)

1. North 83 YPG (913 yards)* (No Week 9 Central stats)

2. Jasper 99.4 YPG (994 yards)

3. Mater Dei 121.4 YPG (1700 yards)*(No Week 8 Harrison stats)

4. Reitz 134.8 YPG (1483 yards)

5. Memorial 152.2 YPG (1978 yards)

6. Vincennes 158.6 YPG (1586 yards) 

7. Harrison 175.8 YPG (1582 yards)* (No Week 7 Central stats)

8. Castle 181.5 YPG (2360 yards)

9. Central 197.0 YPG (1970 yards)

10. Bosse 231.6 YPG (2316 yards)

Congrats to all players and Coach Brunson on the selections! They are all very deserving of the honor.

I was fairly close on my predictions. Few initial reactions: 

- Surprising to me that Hunt was selected as POTY even though he was an at-large. Hunt is a great player though, not trying to say he doesn't deserve it. Based on the selections, I would have thought it'd be Wunderlich, Purdy, Summers, or Vera Jr.

- I feel like Harris and Bishop from Castle were both All-SIAC type players but not sure who they would have made it over.

- Seems like Reitz could've gotten a bit more love, considering all-conference is awarded based on the regular season and they won it by 3 games. They have a bunch of talent and put up big numbers.

- Would have liked to see Bosse or Central get at least one player each but I guess that's the unfortunate part of losing a lot of games. They both had a few talented players that could probably start on most teams, but their stats may not have been good enough.

- Loaded list of talent and 18 of those players will be back. SIAC will be a lot of fun to watch again next season.

6 hours ago, Football Fanatic said:

Congrats to all players and Coach Brunson on the selections! They are all very deserving of the honor.

I was fairly close on my predictions. Few initial reactions: 

- Surprising to me that Hunt was selected as POTY even though he was an at-large. Hunt is a great player though, not trying to say he doesn't deserve it. Based on the selections, I would have thought it'd be Wunderlich, Purdy, Summers, or Vera Jr.

- I feel like Harris and Bishop from Castle were both All-SIAC type players but not sure who they would have made it over.

- Seems like Reitz could've gotten a bit more love, considering all-conference is awarded based on the regular season and they won it by 3 games. They have a bunch of talent and put up big numbers.

- Would have liked to see Bosse or Central get at least one player each but I guess that's the unfortunate part of losing a lot of games. They both had a few talented players that could probably start on most teams, but their stats may not have been good enough.

- Loaded list of talent and 18 of those players will be back. SIAC will be a lot of fun to watch again next season.

I’m a bit of a homer, and I realize he missed 2 games.  But I think Porter Rode got screwed by not being 2nd team.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Thornton Melon said:

sometimes, you pay a price for the big blue "M" on your chest

They still got 9 on though, the same as Reitz who won the conference by 3 games. Rode is definitely all-conference worthy but I can't think of any reason he would not be voted on unless some coaches are bitter about how he ended up there. And I would venture to guess Reitz didn't get more love due to bitterness as well. Unfortunate for the kids who work hard and deserve it. 

4 hours ago, Football Fanatic said:

They still got 9 on though, the same as Reitz who won the conference by 3 games. Rode is definitely all-conference worthy but I can't think of any reason he would not be voted on unless some coaches are bitter about how he ended up there. And I would venture to guess Reitz didn't get more love due to bitterness as well. Unfortunate for the kids who work hard and deserve it. 

Yeah, if SIAC coaches have a bias against Memorial, it certainly doesn’t show up in the selections.  So I’m just not buying that.

I do think it’s probably safe to assume that he didn’t get any support from Zirkelbach - who is a Memorial grad.

I don’t know what led to him being left off.  I just think he got snubbed…happens to kids every year, really.  Probably some kids from other schools who also deserved to be recognized.

Edited by MHSTigerFan

On 11/26/2022 at 10:59 AM, MDAlum82 said:

No idea on what Coach Goebel's thoughts may/may not be in regards to retirement but curious why so many people in our society assume someone will/should retire once they have reached a certain age or attained a certain level of success? 

By all accounts, Goebel still enjoys coaching football & teaching so why would he retire?  Few of us truly get to do something we love and when you are so fortunate, why would you stop "just because"?  My guess is eventually "something" will move the needle towards retirement for him.  Possibly something related to his health, he is ~ 70 yrs young, or potentially his political career - he has held various local gov't offices for the past 20 years or so, or maybe, when the right person to take over as head football coach comes along, ala Greg Schaefer for the wrestling program, retirement may seem more attractive to him.  Who knows?  

Time will tell...until then, I hope the players, coaches and fans allow themselves to enjoy this State Championship!  I was at the game in 2000, the last time Mater Dei won, and never thought it would be 22 years until the next one came along.  You just never know...

I don’t think he “should” retire. I just think it’s natural for people to be curious. There is nothing wrong with that. I figure he’d want to give up the grind and go more into politics and commentating. He and Mauer are fantastic calling the state wrestling finals. 

3 hours ago, TigerFan20 said:

SIAC returning production should be posted next week

AWESOME!!!! I’m ready for next season. 

1 hour ago, combthehair said:

I don’t think he “should” retire. I just think it’s natural for people to be curious. There is nothing wrong with that. I figure he’d want to give up the grind and go more into politics and commentating. He and Mauer are fantastic calling the state wrestling finals. 

AWESOME!!!! I’m ready for next season. 

Judging on my research, Vincennes at Reitz is going to be a very fun matchup. Vincennes defense will be much improved and returns 9 starters on it. Currently have Vincennes returning around 14 starters and Reitz returning around 16 starters. I already have Mater Dei, Memorial, Castle, Reitz and Vincennes all done.

Edited by TigerFan20

On 11/29/2022 at 8:30 PM, MHSTigerFan said:

I’m a bit of a homer, and I realize he missed 2 games.  But I think Porter Rode got screwed by not being 2nd team.

And remember, Porter Rode had to sit 2 games only because of the EVSC and IHSAA. Of all the transfers from Central and other schools (most to Reitz, mind you) he was the only kid who had to hire a lawyer to get full eligibility... Disgraceful..