Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

The SIAC Thread

2 minutes ago, Wildcat1992 said:

While MD loses a lot and has a ton of questions to answer on both sides of the ball, the JV and frosh teams were very successful this past season.  Should be more of a reload than a rebuild.  Biggest question IMO is who will be the QB.  I would guess that it would be Tate Mallory, who will be a soph next seaon. 

Very solid nucleus on defense with Scheu, Stratman, Halbig and Turner back.  Two good OL in Goodin and Wilkey are the only starters back on offense, but the key is QB.  Stratman could be the main RB and is pretty good.  I think MD will be very run heavy until the QB situation is ironed out.  

Depending on how quickly all the new starters acclimate to varsity ball, I could see them finish anywhere from 3-6 in the SIAC next year and another sectional championship.  Beyond that would be a surprise for me.

I agree. Difficult to rank them. I could see them finishing anywhere from 3 to 7. They do return a handful of talented players and have young talent emerging. However, replacing a multi-year starting QB talent like Wunderlich is not easy - especially if it's a sophomore with no prior varsity experience. I could definitely see it being Mallory though. If so, there could be so growing pains and MD could struggle at first. However, I see them improving throughout the season like usual and at least winning their sectional.

It’s official now, and hardly a secret anymore, so I think it’s safe to discuss on here.

Liam Bryant, a sophomore who was Tanner Boyd’s backup at QB for Gibson Southern this past season, has enrolled at Memorial for the spring semester.

Edited by MHSTigerFan
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MHSTigerFan said:

It’s official now, and hardly a secret anymore, so I think it’s safe to discuss on here.

Liam Bryant, a sophomore who was Tanner Boyd’s backup at QB for Gibson Southern this past season, has enrolled at Memorial for the spring semester.

Let the off-season begin then!

2 hours ago, MHSTigerFan said:

Good kid with nice size and a lot of potential..checks several boxes.  

9 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

Good kid with nice size and a lot of potential..checks several boxes.  

It will be interesting to see what happens with Memorial's QB position next season (assuming he's eligible, which is a whole other discussion).

I've never seen the kid play.  I know he got some varsity time when Boyd was hurt -- but they didn't pass much in those games.  They passed quite a bit in his JV games, tho.

And there's also the issue of Fisher and baseball.  He considers that his primary sport.

37 minutes ago, MHSTigerFan said:

It will be interesting to see what happens with Memorial's QB position next season (assuming he's eligible, which is a whole other discussion).

I've never seen the kid play.  I know he got some varsity time when Boyd was hurt -- but they didn't pass much in those games.  They passed quite a bit in his JV games, tho.

And there's also the issue of Fisher and baseball.  He considers that his primary sport.

Could Fisher receive a scholarship soon enough that playing football is absolutely out of the question this season?

Edited by Titan32

1 hour ago, Titan32 said:

Could Fisher receive a scholarship soon enough that playing football is absolutely out of the question this season?

It's possible.

He has not hidden the possibility that he may ultimately give football up for baseball.  The expectation right now is that he'll play next season.  But there's a long time between now and August.

16 hours ago, MHSTigerFan said:

He can make every throw you'd want out of a high school QB. 

In 2020- 2 of our best players had DI baseball scholarships- but they loved to play and compete. That's what high school sports should be all about. (Granted, we lost a BIGGIE to baseball only - but - that was understandable. If you're going to get drafted, then you get a pass) 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jets said:

He can make every throw you'd want out of a high school QB. 

In 2020- 2 of our best players had DI baseball scholarships- but they loved to play and compete. That's what high school sports should be all about. (Granted, we lost a BIGGIE to baseball only - but - that was understandable. If you're going to get drafted, then you get a pass) 

LOL...yeah, I'd say Montgomery's move was wise and understandable.  But he's obviously a rare case.

Most college coaches have traditionally liked their recruits to play more than one sport.  But it seems this is becoming less the case.  Apparently, Auburn's baseball coaches pressed on Cam Tilly to give up football.  And it may have been a good decision on his part, as well.  That gave him the opportunity to play for USA Baseball's 18U team.

But I don't think it's always the best decision.  And you see it happening even earlier than high school.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MHSTigerFan said:

LOL...yeah, I'd say Montgomery's move was wise and understandable.  But he's obviously a rare case.

Most college coaches have traditionally liked their recruits to play more than one sport.  But it seems this is becoming less the case.  Apparently, Auburn's baseball coaches pressed on Cam Tilly to give up football.  And it may have been a good decision on his part, as well.  That gave him the opportunity to play for USA Baseball's 18U team.

But I don't think it's always the best decision.  And you see it happening even earlier than high school.

I'd add that Montgomery did still play basketball, so he was still a multi sport athlete. 

18 hours ago, MHSTigerFan said:

Varsity vs Southridge:image.thumb.png.f814217d30a806cc90a0b9d92bfc8d2d.png

JV Totals:

image.thumb.png.e483c09f711d26a095fc45d42efeb5e6.png

Edited by Titan32

13 hours ago, MHSTigerFan said:

Most college coaches have traditionally liked their recruits to play more than one sport.  But it seems this is becoming less the case.

Is baseball the biggest culprit in pushing kids to focus on one sport? 

I know USI has offered and I’m thinking UE has offered. Can’t imagine any kid giving up Friday night lights but it wouldn’t shock me in todays era of softness. Lots of good QBs from 6th grade up at Memorial. The 7th grade QB is the best I’ve seen at Memorial for that age.  If the Bryant kid comes in focused he could win the spot. IMO. His competition will be busy playing baseball. 

Edited by Screagle

13 hours ago, Screagle said:

I know USI has offered and I’m thinking UE has offered. Can’t imagine any kid giving up Friday night lights but it wouldn’t shock me in todays era of softness. Lots of good QBs from 6th grade up at Memorial. The 7th grade QB is the best I’ve seen at Memorial for that age.  If the Bryant kid comes in focused he could win the spot. IMO. His competition will be busy playing baseball. 

That 7th grade Memorial team from last season has some athletes, should be a good freshman class for the 2024 season

13 hours ago, Screagle said:

It’s interesting - bc Boyd at GS has one more year while Fisher is in his class.

But, assuming football was a high motivation for the Xfer, I kind of like the moxie in (presumably) believing he can beat Fisher out.  But nothing’s guaranteed, and I’m sure that was communicated to him.

I believe they both train with Tyler Norton at TNT.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/20/2022 at 12:39 PM, MHSTigerFan said:

Liam Bryant’s transfer has cleared the IHSAA with full eligibility.

• Like 1