Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Brady Allen: Mr. Football case

11 minutes ago, Huge Football Fan said:

I’m not sure where you saw those defensive stats but what I saw was Hauser had 16 tackles 10 solo? So what I saw was 16 tackles to 5. Point being in this high school game I would take Hauser

Just an FYI, IHSAA.org always has Box Score with official stats for all the games. It is the same stats on monitors when webcasting/broadcasting games in Lucas Oil Stadium on Friday and Saturday in the press box (and has been done for several years).

https://www.ihsaa.org/Portals/0/boys sports/boys football/2021-22/2021 6A Box Score.pdf

image.png.1f568d9a3f6e435350b245901a1ebd62.png

image.png.84d9513c5444f9ebe318ef1a0b290187.png

Edited by FastpacedO

1 hour ago, Indiana Fan said:

For me, it is between 3 players:

Brady Allen- Gibson Southern

Caden Curry- Center Grove

Micah Hauser- Westfield

These are the clear cut favorites and would be fine if any one of them win. They put on performances all year long and put on shows at the State Finals this weekend.

I think you put Montasi Clay from Lutheran in that convo as well he plays for the the only 1A school in the toughest small schools conference in the state (ICC) 

2300 + Passing yards 

1800 + Rushing yards 

61 Total TDs 

41 minutes ago, EasyEJay said:

I think you put Montasi Clay from Lutheran in that convo as well he plays for the the only 1A school in the toughest small schools conference in the state (ICC) 

2300 + Passing yards 

1800 + Rushing yards 

61 Total TDs 

Offensively those are better numbers than Jack Kiser had in both of his 15-0 seasons.  

the only thing that really stops the chance of him winning is that kiser didn’t come off the field and had like 7 INTs + 6 forced fumbles…..plus was the kicker and punter…..and he did it 2 years in a row going 30-0.

Clay should be in consideration but it’s more about fighting for finishing 3rd in voting.  Which there is nothing wrong with and it still would be a great achievement considering he is at a 1A school 

7 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Offensively those are better numbers than Jack Kiser had in both of his 15-0 seasons.  

the only thing that really stops the chance of him winning is that kiser didn’t come off the field and had like 7 INTs + 6 forced fumbles…..plus was the kicker and punter…..and he did it 2 years in a row going 30-0.

Clay should be in consideration but it’s more about fighting for finishing 3rd in voting.  Which there is nothing wrong with and it still would be a great achievement considering he is at a 1A school 

Clay did punt and return kicks for Lutheran, you mentioned career stats should count towards the award . Clay played Safety/WR till this year when he was moved to QB . 

he also has 946 career rec yards with 12 TDs 

Also 108 career tackles with 13 INTS 

I am inclined to agree with you though I do think its a 2 man race (Curry and Allen) but it might be a lot closer than most people think this year between 4 or 5 different guys 

34 minutes ago, EasyEJay said:

Clay did punt and return kicks for Lutheran, you mentioned career stats should count towards the award . Clay played Safety/WR till this year when he was moved to QB . 

he also has 946 career rec yards with 12 TDs 

Also 108 career tackles with 13 INTS 

I am inclined to agree with you though I do think its a 2 man race (Curry and Allen) but it might be a lot closer than most people think this year between 4 or 5 different guys 

I wouldn’t be surprised if this 2 man race results in one of them being mr football and the other being the Gatorade player of the year.  

I personally think Brady should win both, but I understand that many of the people voting don’t think there is good football outside of the Indy metro.  

it’s also completely lost on people who GS played this year and dominated. Between Brebeuf, New Albany, Columbus North, and Tri-West there are so many common foes with the top of the state.  

Cathedral played 3 of these teams this year and dominated only marginally better on paper. Brebeuf was the only one different but after the first 1 1/2 quarters, Brady led a 38-8 run and they dominated.  

Center grove played Columbus North too….both CG and GS slapped running clocks on them.  

I won’t say that Gibson Southern is better than cathedral or center grove via some transitive property BS…that would be stupid….but for a 3A school….against similar opponents, Brady Allen and company sure did perform similarly to how the other best teams in the state did.  

Looking at stats. Brady Allen vs what cathedral did against Brebeuf, New Albany, and Columbus north…these teams combined for 29-5 if you take away the 6 combined losses to Cathedral and GS 

Brady Allen:

71 of 112 (63.4%) 

1028 yards passing 

14 passing TDs 1 rushing TD

Cathedral QB stats vs these teams 

41 of 71 (57.7%) 

524 yards passing 

9 passing TDs 2 rushing TDs 

Same opponents Cathedral had to face….3 dominant performances.  3 game sample size….and Brady Allen averaged 340 yards passing and 5 TDs for those games….I think it’s safe to say that Brady wasn’t just good because they played the 57th hardest schedule of 318 teams….opposed to the 9th and 16th hardest schedule….he performed at an outstanding level because he is an outstanding QB 

Edited by DumfriesYMCA

1 hour ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Looking at stats. Brady Allen vs what cathedral did against Brebeuf, New Albany, and Columbus north…these teams combined for 29-5 if you take away the 6 combined losses to Cathedral and GS 

Brady Allen:

71 of 112 (63.4%) 

1028 yards passing 

41 of 71 (57.7%) 

524 yards passing 

Same opponents Cathedral had to face….3 dominant performances.  3 game sample size….and Brady Allen averaged 340 yards passing and 5 TDs for those games….I think it’s safe to say that Brady wasn’t just good because they played the 57th hardest schedule of 318 teams….opposed to the 9th and 16th hardest schedule….he performed at an outstanding level because he is an outstanding QB 

Agreed, but Cathedral's QB was a Sophomore there were likely a lot more reigns on the Sophomore QB compared to a Senior QB. Still your point is very valid Brady Allen was and is a fantastic QB.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Brady Allen:

71 of 112 (63.4%) 

1028 yards passing 

41 of 71 (57.7%) 

524 yards passing 

Cathedral was beating Brebeuf 31-7 at half and New Albany 45-7 at half and honestly both games were essentially over after the first two drives of the game. There was no need for Cathedral to throw the ball excessively in either of those contests. Cathedral rushed for nearly 300 yards against Columbus North as CN couldn't stop the Irish. O'Neil still had a pretty impressive state line for that game throwing wise after all said and done. 66% completion rate, 3 TD's and no INT's. 

12 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

Agreed, but Cathedral's QB was a Sophomore there were likely a lot more reigns on the Sophomore QB compared to a Senior QB. Still your point is very valid Brady Allen was and is a fantastic QB.

There are always going to be some apples to oranges things when you are comparing two teams who haven’t directly played each other and even then not everything is the same. 

as fans there is only so much you can frame an argument around and we don’t get to make the schedules either lol.  

11 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Cathedral was beating Brebeuf 31-7 at half and New Albany 45-7 at half and honestly both games were essentially over after the first two drives of the game. There was no need for Cathedral to throw the ball excessively in either of those contests. Cathedral rushed for nearly 300 yards against Columbus North as CN couldn't stop the Irish. O'Neil still had a pretty impressive state line for that game throwing wise after all said and done. 66% completion rate, 3 TD's and no INT's. 

Gibson Southern went up 21-0 on Columbus North and followed that up by going up 28-0 on New Albany 

it’s not that different except Cathedral is Cathedral and have one of the most talented rosters top to bottom in the country 

18 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Gibson Southern went up 21-0 on Columbus North and followed that up by going up 28-0 on New Albany 

it’s not that different except Cathedral is Cathedral and have one of the most talented rosters top to bottom in the country 

How long did Brady Allen stay in the game against either of those teams? Was GS still throwing in the third quarter up big? Cathedral has over 100 kids on their roster and will always look to get everyone game action when applicable. I don't think Cathedral has ever been fixated on pumping up a players stat line. I'm sure if Cathedral wanted to throw the ball 45 times against New Albany for 500 yards and 6 TD's they could have, they simply chose not to because it wasn't necessary. They scored one TD in the second half with a running clock and all 75 players who dressed played in the game. 

20 hours ago, BTF said:

Lol, again, no props for the offensive lineman. According to 247, Kiyaunta Goodwin is your Mr. Football. No one has more offers than that kid. 

Calling it now:  Goodwin will be a high 1st round draft pick within the next few years.  He’s a freak of a lineman.

I had an interesting conversation about him with Eric Wolford recently.  And he would know, he spent a couple years as the Niners assistant OL coach.  Will he end up at UK?

15 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

How long did Brady Allen stay in the game against either of those teams? Was GS still throwing in the third quarter up big? Cathedral has over 100 kids on their roster and will always look to get everyone game action when applicable. I don't think Cathedral has ever been fixated on pumping up a players stat line. I'm sure if Cathedral wanted to throw the ball 45 times against New Albany for 500 yards and 6 TD's they could have, they simply chose not to because it wasn't necessary. They scored one TD in the second half with a running clock and all 75 players who dressed played in the game. 

GS had a running clock in all but 3 games I believe.  Maybe a drive or two? New Albany sure wasn’t close at all he might have only played the first 2 Qtrs

im not trying to bash cathedral 

I’m just saying “ain’t it funny how if cathedral dominates these 3 teams, they get praised for being so good….but when Gibson Southern with Brady Allen do it….it’s but how did they do it? Was it really that dominant? “ 

If you take the 2 worst teams from the conference schedule out of the mix (Washington and county rival princeton) you get an SoS of about 70….which is roughly the 30th best schedule and pretty close to what Penn plays. 

this is the wrong year to argue about SoS for Gibson Southern lol

Coaches and admins heard all of this before and ramped up the schedule as much as they could.  And it paid off 

19 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

GS had a running clock in all but 3 games I believe.  Maybe a drive or two? New Albany sure wasn’t close at all he might have only played the first 2 Qtrs

im not trying to bash cathedral 

I’m just saying “ain’t it funny how if cathedral dominates these 3 teams, they get praised for being so good….but when Gibson Southern with Brady Allen do it….it’s but how did they do it? Was it really that dominant? “ 

If you take the 2 worst teams from the conference schedule out of the mix (Washington and county rival princeton) you get an SoS of about 70….which is roughly the 30th best schedule and pretty close to what Penn plays. 

this is the wrong year to argue about SoS for Gibson Southern lol

Coaches and admins heard all of this before and ramped up the schedule as much as they could.  And it paid off 

Not trying to bag on GS either, but I think stats can be such a misleading talking point especially against inferior competition. Trust me, I think Brady is by far and away the best QB in the state this year and more than deserving for the award, but I'm much more impressed with his arm strength, footwork, and ability to go through progressions down the field than his year long stat line (which is also very good). 

All players mentioned so far as deserving of winning.  Me personally, I think Brady Allen will win it in the end. Curry will finish second and mostly because of the hype train that follows him being at CG. He is well more than deserved of said hype as well. Hauser had an impressive year leading Westfield on both sides of the ball at a 6A program is James Banks esque. Montasi Clay is a great young man that doesn't quit on the football field ever. Great stats and a great year for him.

My thoughts are

Brady Allen

Caden Curry

Micah Hauser

Montasi Clay

A case can be made for all 4 of these young men. 

Congrats to all 6 State Champions, well deserved.

I think Allen wins this award running away, as much as people want to say it is about a player’s senior year, it’s just as much about their career body of work. Look at Bell and Kiser in 2018, Bell was hands down the most talented player in the state, but Kiser’s career body of work was more impressive. As talented as Allen is (top 20 QB prospect in the country) and as good as he was this past weekend, I don’t think he is top 3 talent wise in the state (Goodwin, McCullough, Curry). But Allen has had the best statistical QB career in the history of the state, capped off by a big win on Friday, he wins this award and I don’t think it’s close.

1 minute ago, ShakeDownTheThunder said:

I think Allen wins this award running away, as much as people want to say it is about a player’s senior year, it’s just as much about their career body of work. Look at Bell and Kiser in 2018, Bell was hands down the most talented player in the state, but Kiser’s career body of work was more impressive. As talented as Allen is (top 20 QB prospect in the country) and as good as he was this past weekend, I don’t think he is top 3 talent wise in the state (Goodwin, McCullough, Curry). But Allen has had the best statistical QB career in the history of the state, capped off by a big win on Friday, he wins this award and I don’t think it’s close.

I think this is right.  Allen is going to win Mr. Football.

12 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Not trying to bag on GS either, but I think stats can be such a misleading talking point especially against inferior competition. Trust me, I think Brady is by far and away the best QB in the state this year and more than deserving for the award, but I'm much more impressed with his arm strength, footwork, and ability to go through progressions down the field than his year long stat line (which is also very good). 

I mean I would like to make that argument too but they don’t have metrics for footwork and what not lol

Between Coach Hart, the 2 previous GS QBs, and one of Patrick Mahomes QB coaches, Brady has an incredible group who have helped him become such a polished thrower….and now he gets to go learn under the Brohms at Purdue 

(Talent + Coaching )x being coachable = Excellence 

2 hours ago, ShakeDownTheThunder said:

Geez, he’s every bit as talented as the others!

8 hours ago, Huge Football Fan said:

I’m not sure where you saw those defensive stats but what I saw was Hauser had 16 tackles 10 solo? So what I saw was 16 tackles to 5. Point being in this high school game I would take Hauser

You are comparing tackles for an unblocked safety to a DL on a 3 man front that gets double team every time?  Is it just that simple for you?  As a big time fan of safety play, they should be getting tackles...they get to roam pretty darn free and find the ball.  

One of the things left out was some of the crushing blocks Curry had while in playing the Wing position on offense.  I rewatched the game last night and he blew some people up from the wing position.

3 hours ago, ShakeDownTheThunder said:

Curry...a 4 year starter in the MIC playing 6A ball.  How many times has that happened?  2 time state champion with 3 state finals appearances in 4 years.  When you say career body of work, you may want to study his competition.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

Curry...a 4 year starter in the MIC playing 6A ball.  How many times has that happened?  2 time state champion with 3 state finals appearances in 4 years.  When you say career body of work, you may want to study his competition.

Okay I’m going to say it. I gotta at this point….

Can we all stop pretending like Center Grove didn’t have the 2020 Mr. Football/Gatorade POY on the team last year?   Steele was a massive reason why CG went 14-0 last year

….And everyone in Curry’s corner keeps repeating “28-0….Back2Back” as if we all didn’t read the many pages of you guys arguing why Steele deserved it over the likes of Blake Fisher and that Cathedral QB last year at this same time.