Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Brady Allen: Mr. Football case

On 11/29/2021 at 5:42 PM, DumfriesYMCA said:

Okay I’m going to say it. I gotta at this point….

Can we all stop pretending like Center Grove didn’t have the 2020 Mr. Football/Gatorade POY on the team last year?   Steele was a massive reason why CG went 14-0 last year

….And everyone in Curry’s corner keeps repeating “28-0….Back2Back” as if we all didn’t read the many pages of you guys arguing why Steele deserved it over the likes of Blake Fisher and that Cathedral QB last year at this same time.  

Sure Steele was a major reason CG won last year.  I am sure Allen required great players around him as well to win a title.  He didn't do it alone.  Steele also didn't play defense.  Bottom line, Curry was a major reason that CG went to the State Title game 3 years in a row, winning 2 of them.  He's a major reason CG has went 28-0 over the past 2 seasons, playing 6A and MIC competition.  Allen has 1 title and level of competition doesn't come close.  Not his fault, it just is what it is.

Look, Allen will most likely win.  Mr. Football has shown us all but once, the award goes to an offensive player and QB's really stand out.  Votes like stats and the flash.  My guess is that politically, they do not want to give this award to the same high school 2 years in a row.

But when it comes to an ALL-AROUND FOOTBALL PLAYER,  there is no comparison.  Curry plays both sides of the ball and several special teams, including the teams long snapper.  You saw in the state title game, when CG needed a yard or 2, who got the ball...a defensive player.  Curry played the wing several times laying some crushing blocks.  

I think you can rest easy.  Indiana Mr. Football is much like the Heisman.  Its really about the state's best offensive player...not best all-around player.

• Like 4

Caden Curry is the Best Football player in Indiana on the Best Team in Indiana.... therefore should be a no brainer for Mr. Football.  While The Purdue commit is a fantastic talent, 3A... ain't 6A, therefore credit should be given where credit is due. I'd say Max Webster and Tayven Jackson are above him on the list for this Mr. Football award.  Leading his team to a 3A championship once, isn't the same as Tayven and Max leading their teams in the highest class BACK to BACK years.  That is legit!!  Congrats to Brady and good luck at Purdue!!  But Sorry, no case for Mr. Football. #TRUTH

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, StatQueen said:

Caden Curry is the Best Football player in Indiana on the Best Team in Indiana.... therefore should be a no brainer for Mr. Football.  While The Purdue commit is a fantastic talent, 3A... ain't 6A, therefore credit should be given where credit is due. I'd say Max Webster and Tayven Jackson are above him on the list for this Mr. Football award.  Leading his team to a 3A championship once, isn't the same as Tayven and Max leading their teams in the highest class BACK to BACK years.  That is legit!!  Congrats to Brady and good luck at Purdue!!  But Sorry, no case for Mr. Football. #TRUTH

I liked you better when you were in your post-Roncalli collapse hole. 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, StatQueen said:

Ehhh…..nice opinion, everyone is entitled to have one. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bash Riprock said:

Sure Steele was a major reason CG won last year.  I am sure Allen required great players around him as well to win a title.  He didn't do it alone.  Steele also didn't play defense.  Bottom line, Curry was a major reason that CG went to the State Title game 3 years in a row, winning 2 of them.  He's a major reason CG has went 28-0 over the past 2 seasons, playing 6A and MIC competition.  Allen has 1 title and level of competition doesn't come close.  Not his fault, it just is what it is.

Look, Allen will most likely win.  Mr. Football has shown us all but once, the award goes to an offensive player and QB's really stand out.  Votes like stats and the flash.  My guess is that politically, they do not want to give this award to the same high school 2 years in a row.

But when it comes to an ALL-AROUND FOOTBALL PLAYER,  there is no comparison.  Curry plays both sides of the ball and several special teams, including the teams long snapper.  You saw in the state title game, when CG needed a yard or 2, who got the ball...a defensive player.  Curry played the wing several times laying some crushing blocks.  

I think you can rest easy.  Indiana Mr. Football is much like the Heisman.  Its really about the state's best offensive player...not best all-around player.

Allen no doubt had great players around him…including the most criminally under recruited/ underrated WR I have ever seen in Rory Heltsley.  It’s honestly to the point that I’m mad about it for him. 

The GS fan base will probably be more excited if he gets a new D1 offer or something than if Brady were to win Mr. Football. 

1 hour ago, StatQueen said:

3 Mr football nominees in 2 years on this Center Grove team………come on man.  CG was the favorite to win this whole time too…..winning back to back championships is what was expected when you have 10 or so D1 players on the roster over 2 years.  

• Like 1

My guess is that politically, they do not want to give this award to the same high school 2 years in a row.

Mr. Football has been given to a player from the same High School back to back years 2 different times.

1995 Martinsville QB Earl Haniford

1996 Martinsville RB Israel Thompson

2005 Warren Central QB Dexter Taylor

2006 Warren Central RB Darren Evans

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Footballking16 said:

I liked you better when you were in your post-Roncalli collapse hole. 

Hard Truth is Hard to Swallow... doesn't make it false.

31 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Allen no doubt had great players around him…including the most criminally under recruited/ underrated WR I have ever seen in Rory Heltsley.  It’s honestly to the point that I’m mad about it for him. 

The GS fan base will probably be more excited if he gets a new D1 offer or something than if Brady were to win Mr. Football. 

3 Mr football nominees in 2 years on this Center Grove team………come on man.  CG was the favorite to win this whole time too…..winning back to back championships is what was expected when you have 10 or so D1 players on the roster over 2 years.  

FAKE NEWS!!  This has to stop, I hear this crap all the time about various schools.  So I had to confirm it.  The falsity in "10 or so...".  WRONG.

CG 2020 D1 Scholarship players =3 (1 power 5) (Booker, JackSchott, Steele)

CG 2021 D1 Scholarship players =  5 (3 power 5) (Jackson, JamesSchott, Curry, Carroll (played 4 games), Bennett (FCS))

This is equivalent to most top tier MIC and HCC and Catholic programs in most years.  So all those schools should be "expected" to win championships ever year!!!  No way, cause they are competing against eachother.  

Curry = Best Player = Mr. Football 

Curry was a major reason that CG went to the State Title game 3 years in a row, winning 2 of them.  He's a major reason CG has went 28-0 over the past 2 seasons, playing 6A and MIC competition. 

Unbelievable! 3 state finals and 28-0! Vs the very best in the state.  I think a Mr Football has to advance in tournament play more than 1 season. JMO. If not it’s a toss up for this years winner. 

36 minutes ago, StatQueen said:

FAKE NEWS!!  This has to stop, I hear this crap all the time about various schools.  So I had to confirm it.  The falsity in "10 or so...".  WRONG.

CG 2021 D1 Scholarship players =  5 (3 power 5) (Jackson, JamesSchott, Curry, Carroll (played 4 games), Bennett (FCS))

This is equivalent to most top tier MIC and HCC and Catholic programs in most years.  So all those schools should be "expected" to win championships ever year!!!  No way, cause they are competing against eachother.  

10 or so…..I’m so wrong it’s only 8….omg the horror.

CG fans pushing down the rest of the roster to make the case for Curry is all anyone needs to know.  Never seen fans discredit the talent on their team for specific player to get an award like this before.  

problem is, Curry didn’t have the statistical season needed to make the arguments against Brady….which is why we see the arguments framed around team achievements like going 28-0.  

not one of you has mentioned his actual statistics here…not the 86 or something career TFLs….not his 27 or so career sacks….nope…it’s “back2back….28-0….3 finals appearances”….team accomplishments.

Curry is amazing and has produced great numbers…let your arguments be around what he has done. 

1 hour ago, FastpacedO said:

Mr. Football has been given to a player from the same High School back to back years 2 different times.

1995 Martinsville QB Earl Haniford

1996 Martinsville RB Israel Thompson

2005 Warren Central QB Dexter Taylor

2006 Warren Central RB Darren Evans

Twice is not much.....

39 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

CG fans pushing down the rest of the roster to make the case for Curry is all anyone needs to know.  Never seen fans discredit the talent on their team for specific player to get an award like this before.  

problem is, Curry didn’t have the statistical season needed to make the arguments against Brady….which is why we see the arguments framed around team achievements like going 28-0.  

not one of you has mentioned his actual statistics here…not the 86 or something career TFLs….not his 27 or so career sacks….nope…it’s “back2back….28-0….3 finals appearances”….team accomplishments.

Curry is amazing and has produced great numbers…let your arguments be around what he has done. 

He does have impressive stats for a Defensive Lineman on a 3 man front.

image.png.ecc7905646d0cbfcacca55556b2e9b13.png

image.png.657e8903b3e7d891bdd135ac9e226882.png

image.png.931068d0309c15af675737b581d68e76.png

1 hour ago, StatQueen said:

to be fair....

2021 - Add Buras (Ball State), Weems (FCS)

Some PWO's each year as well to Power 5 schools.  Also 2020 team had some D2 and FCS non-scholarship players, NAIA Marion, etc.

1 hour ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

No one is pushing anyone down.  And with all due respect, if you think football for a defensive lineman, who also plays offense and special teams having impact is all about stats trying to compare them to a QB, then my best guess is that you have never played the game.  Its silly.

It is a team game....Allen doesn't succeed to the level he has without a fantastic Oline, excellent receivers, a balanced running game, and a defense that gets him the ball back.  He doesn't do it alone...not by a long shot.

You are ignoring the team around Allen, not giving them the credit they deserve for his success.  I can only bet he doesn't feel the way you do.

36 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

The fact that a Center Grove player won last year won't make a lick of a difference. The IndyStar loves giving the award to a large class player from Metro Indy. 

I thought the IFCA awards Mr. Football...not the IndyStar

https://usatodayhss.com/2019/indiana-football-coaches-association-to-make-change-to-mr-football-voting-process

Metro Indy (Marion and donut counties) have won 15 of the 29 Mr. Footballs since 1992.  

43 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

He does have impressive stats for a Defensive Lineman on a 3 man front.

image.png.ecc7905646d0cbfcacca55556b2e9b13.png

image.png.657e8903b3e7d891bdd135ac9e226882.png

image.png.931068d0309c15af675737b581d68e76.png

Keep in mind, he didn't play a ton in the second half of most games given the margin of victory in a running clock era.....

That's another reason pure stats don't always tell the story

24 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

I thought the IFCA awards Mr. Football...not the IndyStar

https://usatodayhss.com/2019/indiana-football-coaches-association-to-make-change-to-mr-football-voting-process

Metro Indy (Marion and donut counties) have won 15 of the 29 Mr. Footballs since 1992.  

Keep in mind, he didn't play a ton in the second half of most games given the margin of victory in a running clock era.....

It's the Indianapolis Star Mr. Football award....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hhpatriot04 said:

Yep.... For better or worse, money and influence talks. 

It's a different dynamic now that ALL the coaches get a vote!  Don't think that the small school guys won't stick together and there is power in their numbers.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

No one is pushing anyone down.  And with all due respect, if you think football for a defensive lineman, who also plays offense and special teams having impact is all about stats trying to compare them to a QB, then my best guess is that you have never played the game.  Its silly.

It is a team game....Allen doesn't succeed to the level he has without a fantastic Oline, excellent receivers, a balanced running game, and a defense that gets him the ball back.  He doesn't do it alone...not by a long shot.

You are ignoring the team around Allen, not giving them the credit they deserve for his success.  I can only bet he doesn't feel the way you do.

Speak for yourself lol cuz I clearly just read someone trying to downplay having 8 D1 players instead of 10 and saying that was normal….and pointing out that not all are P5 offers like that matters. 

definitely not ignoring the team but nice try at trying to flip my argument back at me…won’t work.  I have been nothing but uplifting when it comes to the surrounding team at GS…..every year. 

I don’t think you have watched Allen that much this year because he has had to throw on the run and evade pressure so many times….that’s what happens when you play a 5A+ schedule as a 3A school. In the state championship game alone there were probably 10+ passes completed just because Allen was able to extend plays and then put the ball exactly where it needed to be.  The play of the game was him throwing a laser on 4th and goal from the 21 yard line in between 3 defenders right at eye level for the receiver.  Couldn’t have been thrown better and it was the go ahead score 

53 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

This is how I KNOW you didn’t watch Gibson Southern or follow that much.  

GS put a running clock on all but 3 opponents.  Allen played the 4th QTR of like 4 games total….played only the first half of probably 8…..if he played the full game every game, you would probably be looking at a 6000 yards 70 passing TD season….against a schedule more difficult than what most of 5A faces. 

2 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Speak for yourself lol cuz I clearly just read someone trying to downplay having 8 D1 players instead of 10 and saying that was normal….and pointing out that not all are P5 offers like that matters. 

definitely not ignoring the team but nice try at trying to flip my argument back at me…won’t work.  I have been nothing but uplifting when it comes to the surrounding team at GS…..every year. 

I don’t think you have watched Allen that much this year because he has had to throw on the run and evade pressure so many times….that’s what happens when you play a 5A+ schedule as a 3A school. In the state championship game alone there were probably 10+ passes completed just because Allen was able to extend plays and then put the ball exactly where it needed to be.  The play of the game was him throwing a laser on 4th and goal from the 21 yard line in between 3 defenders right at eye level for the receiver.  Couldn’t have been thrown better and it was the go ahead score 

This is how I KNOW you didn’t watch Gibson Southern or follow that much.  

GS put a running clock on all but 3 opponents.  Allen played the 4th QTR of like 4 games total….played only the first half of probably 8…..if he played the full game every game, you would probably be looking at a 6000 yards 70 passing TD season….against a schedule more difficult than what most of 5A faces. 

Agree on all but GS playing a 5A+ SOS. What was their SOS Sagarin ranking? 

2 minutes ago, hhpatriot04 said:

Agree on all but GS playing a 5A+ SOS. What was their SOS Sagarin ranking? 

57th of 318 

doesn’t include South Warren who is playing for the KY 5A title 

Rating of 63.53x15 = 952.95

if you take away Washington (6.83) and princeton (28.2) you get 917.92.  It’s a 0 for South Warren if my understanding of sags SoS works.

917.92 over the 12 remaining games

thats a rating of 76.49….which would be 19th in the state….that’s a schedule tougher than Roncalli’s schedule for 12 games according to sags…and it doesn’t even include South Warren 

Someone correct me if I’m wrong on how Sagarin calculates SoS though.  I think I did the math right but not entirely sure

If my math is right….I don’t see how anyone could argue against the GS schedule…..that’s a 12 game sample for that SoS and most teams don’t even get to play 12 games…and it doesn’t even include South Warren who is looking like they are going to win the KY 5A championship.