Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Enrollment Numbers Updated

5 hours ago, BTF said:

Homestead and Carroll will always be 6A. Fort Wayne is experiencing a growth explosion. 

Which is exactly why they need to BOLT the Summit Athletic Conference as a "money grab/part-time" BB and FB member in a closed conference.....

** Correction... SUBURBAN Fort Wayne is experiencing a growth explosion;  Get ready to welcome Leo to the 6A dance within 5-10 years also.  

• Like 1

On 12/4/2021 at 11:26 AM, DanteEstonia said:

I'm not trying to be rude, but what's there to do for work in Franklin County?

Not much at all. The few people I do know who live in Brookville work in Cincinnati, about an hour drive away. Not really a place that's suffered from an economic setback, just zero growth in years.

Brookville is a nice little town but it hasn't grown at all since Franklin County became a school in the late 80s. Biggest grocery store in town is the IGA, have to drive 20 to 30 minutes to get to a Kroger in either Batesville, Harrison, Oxford or Connersville.

The biggest thing that brings people in is the lake but that's just for a weekend here or there. 

Center Grove was listed at 2782 enrollment during the state finals broadcast.  Where do they fit all these kids?  Looks like CG will soon be a 3000 student superpower.  

5 hours ago, HHF said:

Center Grove was listed at 2782 enrollment during the state finals broadcast.  Where do they fit all these kids?  Looks like CG will soon be a 3000 student superpower.  

They can no longer lay claim to being that small school that competes with the Mega Schools. 

• Like 1

On 11/29/2021 at 7:35 PM, HoopsCoach said:

This is probably true.

From the 2020 fall count day, here were the bottom 10 of 6A (with 32 schools) and the top 10 of 5A.  The numbers are close enough, especially among the schools that had 2000-2100, that there could be some shuffling if realignment actually happens.

23 Portage 2301
24 Lawrence Central 2268
25 Zionsville 2151
26 Jeffersonville 2134
27 Columbus North 2090
28 Indianapolis Arsenal Tech 2089
29 Chesterton 2081
30 Lafayette Jefferson 2066
31 Warsaw 2059
32 Harrison (West Lafayette) 2050

1 Fort Wayne Northrop 2046
2 Valparaiso 2035
3 Merrillville 2022
4 Whiteland 2007
5 Goshen 1973
6 South Bend Adams 1949
7 Castle 1884
8 Floyd Central 1867
9 New Albany 1859
10 Fort Wayne Snider 1830

I think Columbus North will be interesting to see where they go. They are on the bubble of dropping down to 5A. Would definitely have a chance to make a tourney run.

22 hours ago, Old Man High Pants said:

Not much at all. The few people I do know who live in Brookville work in Cincinnati, about an hour drive away. Not really a place that's suffered from an economic setback, just zero growth in years.

Brookville is a nice little town but it hasn't grown at all since Franklin County became a school in the late 80s. Biggest grocery store in town is the IGA, have to drive 20 to 30 minutes to get to a Kroger in either Batesville, Harrison, Oxford or Connersville.

The biggest thing that brings people in is the lake but that's just for a weekend here or there. 

Connersville used to be a major employer for folks from Franklin County with Philco-Ford, D&M, etc. operating huge facilities there - relative to the size of Connersville.  In fact, all of the surrounding counties used to benefit from that.  All of that is gone.  These days, Connersville is in terrible condition relative to the rest of the state by most any measurable.

Brookville has never had much in the way of manufacturing jobs there excepting Fry(?) Roofing.  Other than small businesses and farming, historically most other jobs were out of county - particularly Cincinnati/Ohio and Batesville (and previously in Connersville).

With that it remains a quite poor but quaint little area and hasn’t suffered some of the worst rust belt ravages and dislocations so easily observed in neighboring Connersville or Rushville but it is (and has been) relatively static.  Perhaps, anecdotally, it’s never had a reputation as the most welcoming to outsiders - which would even include people from same county towns like Metamora and Laurel (admittedly, that may be a feature of many rural communities).

3 hours ago, Lysander said:

Connersville used to be a major employer for folks from Franklin County with Philco-Ford, D&M, etc. operating huge facilities there - relative to the size of Connersville.  In fact, all of the surrounding counties used to benefit from that.  All of that is gone.  These days, Connersville is in terrible condition relative to the rest of the state by most any measurable.

Brookville has never had much in the way of manufacturing jobs there excepting Fry(?) Roofing.  Other than small businesses and farming, historically most other jobs were out of county - particularly Cincinnati/Ohio and Batesville (and previously in Connersville).

With that it remains a quite poor but quaint little area and hasn’t suffered some of the worst rust belt ravages and dislocations so easily observed in neighboring Connersville or Rushville but it is (and has been) relatively static.  Perhaps, anecdotally, it’s never had a reputation as the most welcoming to outsiders - which would even include people from same county towns like Metamora and Laurel (admittedly, that may be a feature of many rural communities).

Honestly them dropping, if they do, I think will help them in the long run. They never had a chance to compete in 4A after the late 90s and haven't done much in 3A. If they were to drop to 2A I think it would give them more of a chance to be relevant in the playoffs again.

Maybe at some point that can be the same for Connersville and Rushville. This year when Connersville played East Central they dressed 34 kids. Hard to compete at the 4A level when your team is that small.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lysander said:

I stand by my observation that single school counties - like Connersville, Rushville, Franklin Co., as well as Jennings, Pike Central, Benton Central, Jay County - generally struggle to build football success.  The geographic size puts them in a class 1 or 2 levels above their "true" football playing level based on the economic realities of a mainly rural county. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, oldtimeqb said:

I stand by my observation that single school counties - like Connersville, Rushville, Franklin Co., as well as Jennings, Pike Central, Benton Central, Jay County - generally struggle to build football success.  The geographic size puts them in a class 1 or 2 levels above their "true" football playing level based on the economic realities of a mainly rural county. 

Youre spot on there. The county schools have the land area but that produces enrollment numbers, but doesnt have the actual athletics numbers that non county schools would have. Looking at the ones you mentioned, they are 3a and 4a programs with realistically having participation numbers in the 2a level and struggling to compete. Catch 22 of you have to win to get kids interested in coming out, but you have to get more kids out to win. Tough on those schools. 

2 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

I hadn’t considered that but it makes a lot of sense to me.  Specifically, Franklin County experienced success fairly early on but they haven’t in some time.  When they were simply Brookville High School they generally won 7-10 games most years in a 10 game season (I believe).  In those days, the only expected losses were to the Dick Meador Lawrenceburg teams.  East Central was a growing power but far from what they are today.  Add that for some of the kids today, it’s a fairly long drive if you are from places like Laurel which means you don’t get the fullest participation.

Interesting observation.

3 hours ago, RetiredCoach91 said:

Youre spot on there. The county schools have the land area but that produces enrollment numbers, but doesnt have the actual athletics numbers that non county schools would have. Looking at the ones you mentioned, they are 3a and 4a programs with realistically having participation numbers in the 2a level and struggling to compete. Catch 22 of you have to win to get kids interested in coming out, but you have to get more kids out to win. Tough on those schools. 

Went thru the FC football roster for this year,we had 18 freshman 11 sophomores 7 juniors and 11 seniors. Next year is going to tough as it will be a fairly young team. Having the same numbers issue in basketball 9 freshman 2 sophomores 5 juniors and 5 seniors. Have 3 juniors and 1 sophomore that play jv and dress for varsity as well. Have to pull 3 freshman up for jv to have 9 players for it. It's tough not having the numbers but for what we have we do ok. 

• Like 1

On 12/7/2021 at 9:42 AM, Lysander said:

You couldn't pay me to live in Brookville, with a large man-made earthen dam just north of you able to literally sweep the town away if the right conditions are met.   

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

When CG hits the 3000 mark, they will only be 2200 less than Carmel.  Catching up!!! 

Having an enrollment of 3000 is kind of a big deal. Especially with the resources that CG has. I'm not taking anything away from them, what they've done so far has been very impressive. I just don't think some of the CG faithful on here can continue to compare themselves to their smaller 6A counterparts. 

Small 6A school: We can't compete at this level against the Indy mega schools. 

CG posers: We do it, why cant you? 

Once upon a time, CG was in that 2200-2400 range. That's a thing of the past. They are now over 2700 and climbing. Three thousand right around the corner. Mega status. 

2 hours ago, Muda69 said:

You couldn't pay me to live in Brookville, with a large man-made earthen dam just north of you able to literally sweep the town away if the right conditions are met.   

I remember the Army Corps of Engineer representatives that came and spoke to our elementary school prior to its construction to provide reassurance…..since our elementary school would come to sit literally at the foot of the dam.

I was the smartass kid that recalled some comments I had heard from a neighbor and asked, “Wasn’t there a dam like this one in Italy that collapsed?”  The representative admitted that this had happened but went down a list of reasons why this dam was safe. 

I will also admit to enjoying the Overlook there on occasion about a decade later.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BTF said:

Having an enrollment of 3000 is kind of a big deal. Especially with the resources that CG has. I'm not taking anything away from them, what they've done so far has been very impressive. I just don't think some of the CG faithful on here can continue to compare themselves to their smaller 6A counterparts. 

Small 6A school: We can't compete at this level against the Indy mega schools. 

CG posers: We do it, why cant you? 

Once upon a time, CG was in that 2200-2400 range. That's a thing of the past. They are now over 2700 and climbing. Three thousand right around the corner. Mega status. 

At 3,000 that puts then in the top dozen and in the top 5% of of the state's football schools.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BTF said:

Having an enrollment of 3000 is kind of a big deal. Especially with the resources that CG has. I'm not taking anything away from them, what they've done so far has been very impressive. 

I wasn’t really disagreeing. The growth projections over the next decade have the school exceeding 3000. With interstate 69 coming through close by, and multiple exits to CG, my guess that brings even more development to the area. 

My comment was more about the massive size of Carmel.  Now if CG can carry a roster the size of Cathedral….😉

12 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

I wasn’t really disagreeing. The growth projections over the next decade have the school exceeding 3000. With interstate 69 coming through close by, and multiple exits to CG, my guess that brings even more development to the area. 

My comment was more about the massive size of Carmel.  Now if CG can carry a roster the size of Cathedral….😉

Carmel seems to be underperforming.  Given the discussions on size and SES of GID ... Carmel has FRL around 10% or so and around the second lowest public school FRL rate in the state... there shouldn't anyone in the state that can touch them. 

15 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

You just brought up a whole new can of worms. Center Grove will probably outgrow Fort Wayne since the state refuses to do anything about an east/west interstate going out of the city. It's not like there's much traffic going through Fort Wayne from Columbus to Chicago, 🤬

Anyway.............Carmel should win every year in every sport with the numbers they have. Kudos to Center Grove for overcoming some of the larger enrollments in the Indy area.