Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Enrollment Numbers Updated

On 12/7/2021 at 2:53 PM, RetiredCoach91 said:

Youre spot on there. The county schools have the land area but that produces enrollment numbers, but doesnt have the actual athletics numbers that non county schools would have. Looking at the ones you mentioned, they are 3a and 4a programs with realistically having participation numbers in the 2a level and struggling to compete. Catch 22 of you have to win to get kids interested in coming out, but you have to get more kids out to win. Tough on those schools. 

Brown County as well.

On 12/7/2021 at 9:42 AM, Lysander said:

Connersville used to be a major employer for folks from Franklin County with Philco-Ford, D&M, etc. operating huge facilities there - relative to the size of Connersville.  In fact, all of the surrounding counties used to benefit from that.  All of that is gone.  These days, Connersville is in terrible condition relative to the rest of the state by most any measurable.

Brookville has never had much in the way of manufacturing jobs there excepting Fry(?) Roofing.  Other than small businesses and farming, historically most other jobs were out of county - particularly Cincinnati/Ohio and Batesville (and previously in Connersville).

With that it remains a quite poor but quaint little area and hasn’t suffered some of the worst rust belt ravages and dislocations so easily observed in neighboring Connersville or Rushville but it is (and has been) relatively static.  Perhaps, anecdotally, it’s never had a reputation as the most welcoming to outsiders - which would even include people from same county towns like Metamora and Laurel (admittedly, that may be a feature of many rural communities).

The Laurel hoopsters I knew in early-mid  80's had such a rivalry/grudge against Connersville and vice versa. Small town vs big city thing. And that was single class basketball with Connersville Basil Ball dominantly hosting sectionals and regionals. So difficult to imagine them assimilating together, but I understand the times may have greatly changed and the biggest rivalry now could be a canoe race at Metamora.

4 minutes ago, Punttheball said:

There were talks of wiping the slate clean and starting over.  

I hope this is the case - along with success factor bumps. 

The IHSAA gets many things right. For the life of me, I can’t figure out how they seem to overcomplicate the classification/sectional assignment process. 

I would think a computer algorithm to minimize travel distances between schools is a senior level Computer Science project.  

• Like 3

So what are the IHSAA options regarding classification and alignment after freezing last year due to COVID?? 

Option #1 (and probably the easiest) - wipe the slate completely clean for everyone, success factor and all - and just put schools in classes based on enrollments? (Meaning this years State Champions get a free pass)

Option #2 - last year's enrollments were frozen, but success factor points were not. So you vote to try and keep everyone success factor'd on the same schedule, meaning some schools will possibly be punished with a 3 year success factor window? 

Are those basically the 2 options? 

6 minutes ago, jets said:

So what are the IHSAA options regarding classification and alignment after freezing last year due to COVID?? 

Option #1 (and probably the easiest) - wipe the slate completely clean for everyone, success factor and all - and just put schools in classes based on enrollments? (Meaning this years State Champions get a free pass)

Option #2 - last year's enrollments were frozen, but success factor points were not. So you vote to try and keep everyone success factor'd on the same schedule, meaning some schools will possibly be punished with a 3 year success factor window? 

Are those basically the 2 options? 

I believe it will be:

Option 1: Wipe the slate clean

Option 2: Nothing changes

I think they should reset all classes by enrollment, which would be used for the next 2 years. 

SCF placements: Cathedral 6A, FW Dwenger, Columbus East & New Pal 5A, Chatard & Ev Memorial 4A, Western Boone 3A. Southridge 2A (assuming enrollment places them there.) 

I’m hazy about the 1-2A line and I probably forgot a northern team. That to me seems like a logical approach, which is why I am not sure it happens.

1 hour ago, oldtimeqb said:

I think they should reset all classes by enrollment, which would be used for the next 2 years. 

SCF placements: Cathedral 6A, FW Dwenger, Columbus East & New Pal 5A, Chatard & Ev Memorial 4A, Western Boone 3A. Southridge 2A (assuming enrollment places them there.) 

I’m hazy about the 1-2A line and I probably forgot a northern team. That to me seems like a logical approach, which is why I am not sure it happens.

Agreed!  They shouldnt just leave it as is.. clean slate it and align for the next 2 years!!   When will we know the new alignment if there are  changes??

35 minutes ago, Football Guru 25 said:

Agreed!  They shouldnt just leave it as is.. clean slate it and align for the next 2 years!!   When will we know the new alignment if there are  changes??

A new alignment would probably take place at the next executive meeting.  I feel that all State champions should bump up a class and go by enrollment with the rest. Just my opinion.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, superjay said:

My friends at WeBo swear they have been told by the IHSAA that they will go back to 2A.  So whichever scenario causes that is the plan.

There is absolutely no objective measure that puts WeBo in 2A without also putting Chatard in 3A.

Neither should happen, IMO

• Like 1

Webo/Chatard/LCC will either be playing in a class up again for the next 2 years (making 3 years in the SF) or they only do 1 year and reset everything (wipe the slate)… I highly doubt (with almost a 99% certainty) that the IHSAA is not going to go through this exercise again (enrollment, sectional alignments, etc.) next year to ensure 3 schools stay up for their mandatory 2 year cycle.

Wherever the IHSAA puts us (Webo), we’ll show up and play.

Edited by 1st_and_10

28 minutes ago, 1st_and_10 said:

Webo/Chatard/LCC will either be playing in a class up again for the next 2 years (making 3 years in the SF) or they only do 1 year and reset everything (wipe the slate)… I highly doubt (with almost a 99% certainty) that the IHSAA is not going to go through this exercise again (enrollment, sectional alignments, etc.) next year to ensure 3 schools stay up for their mandatory 2 year cycle.

Of interest is, this past season, only Chatard would have had a chance to make it out of semi-finals if they had remained in their regular classes.

On 12/17/2021 at 2:02 PM, 1st_and_10 said:

We would be in this same boat as well (well, actually making it 5 years of SF for us)