Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Enrollment Numbers Updated

With the season concluded, I am interested to see the new enrollments with the schools. The DOE numbers are still showing from last October 2020. I would like to see the new updated enrollments and start figuring out the schools moving up or down. Anyone know where these can be found at? Obviously the IHSAA has these because of them showing the enrollment sizes during the state finals this weekend.

1 hour ago, Indiana Fan said:

With the season concluded, I am interested to see the new enrollments with the schools. The DOE numbers are still showing from last October 2020. I would like to see the new updated enrollments and start figuring out the schools moving up or down. Anyone know where these can be found at? Obviously the IHSAA has these because of them showing the enrollment sizes during the state finals this weekend.

Not sure when the numbers come out, but there should be some movement in 6A as currently 5A Harrison passed 6A Jeff in the Lafayette area during COVID and is now the largest school in the area.  That means that Harrison should be moving up to 6A unless there was a lot of explosion in the upper ranks of 5A.  If there was a lot of explosion, and Harrison remains 5A, that would then mean that Jeff would be coming down to 5A too ... otherwise, could be seeing a pair of 6A schools from the Lafayette area.

Just now, DumfriesYMCA said:

Post Covid numbers are going to be crazy I bet. A lot of changes I bet are coming 

We knew numbers were going up in the Harrison area before COVID as there are two developments that started up to the east and west of Harrison.  I think the one to the west already had houses and families moving in and the one to the east was just completing the grating around the time that COVID hit.  Passed by the other day and the houses are going up in the one to the east.  If I recall correctly, I thought someone said there were some 300 homes going up between those two.  I know at the parents of athletes meeting at the start of the school year, they mentioned that Harrison had passed Jeff already this season.  I imagine that the gap, once those developments are completed, will be much bigger.

32 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

Zionsville is the other school that I keep hearing about as far as movement.  If they go up to 6A along with Harrison as @foxbat mentioned, that means at least 1 must come down.  (I think there were only 31 in 6A?)

There were 32. I know Tech will have a dropped enrollment and expect them to bump down. Also, Jeffersonville is the same size as Columbus North. Merrillville has dropped too. Would love to see these numbers soon.

33 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

Zionsville is the other school that I keep hearing about as far as movement.  If they go up to 6A along with Harrison as @foxbat mentioned, that means at least 1 must come down.  (I think there were only 31 in 6A?)

I'd assume Merrillville? People kept saying that they'd be in 5A for the next cycle. But they've also accumulated two Regional Championships in the past 2 years, does that factor in as well? 

1 minute ago, Indiana Fan said:

There were 32. I know Tech will have a dropped enrollment and expect them to bump down. Also, Jeffersonville is the same size as Columbus North. Merrillville has dropped too. Would love to see these numbers soon.

30 teams I mean. They will get back to 32 in the next reclassification.

Merrillville is the most likely DAC team coming down to 5A, as they have been under 2100 students the past two years, and have fewer students than Valpo. Chesterton is also close to the cutoff line. Based on what has happened the past few years, only 3 DAC teams, Portage, Lake Central, and Crown Point have a large enough enrollment to not worry about being moved from 6A. 

Edited by DACNUT

1 minute ago, oldtimeqb said:

If you look at the IHSAA site, there's a file that shows the 2019 classes for each school in each sport: https://www.ihsaa.org/Portals/0/ihsaa/documents/schools/School Classifications by Sport.pdf.  Zionsville is, oddly, listed at 6A/5A.  If you look at the 2019-2020 / 2020-2021 numbers, Zionsville was actually listed as #30 in 6A; right above Valpo.  I suspect, again with the same caveat that I had for Harrison, unless there's a lot more movement at the top of 5A, Zionsville might be seeing 6A regardless of SF.

https://www.ihsaa.org/Portals/0/ihsaa/documents/quick resources/Enrollments & Classifications/football schools 19-20.pdf

7 hours ago, superjay said:

They will not reclassify this year.  They will wait another year to get success factor and enrollment recounts aligned.  I really don’t see any other way.  

This is probably true.

From the 2020 fall count day, here were the bottom 10 of 6A (with 32 schools) and the top 10 of 5A.  The numbers are close enough, especially among the schools that had 2000-2100, that there could be some shuffling if realignment actually happens.

23 Portage 2301
24 Lawrence Central 2268
25 Zionsville 2151
26 Jeffersonville 2134
27 Columbus North 2090
28 Indianapolis Arsenal Tech 2089
29 Chesterton 2081
30 Lafayette Jefferson 2066
31 Warsaw 2059
32 Harrison (West Lafayette) 2050

1 Fort Wayne Northrop 2046
2 Valparaiso 2035
3 Merrillville 2022
4 Whiteland 2007
5 Goshen 1973
6 South Bend Adams 1949
7 Castle 1884
8 Floyd Central 1867
9 New Albany 1859
10 Fort Wayne Snider 1830

I am almost 100% certain it will be reclassified this year.  Sectionals realigned with enrollment and success factors.  It's either a 1 year cycle or a 3 year cycle.  It would be nice if the IHSAA would clarify all of this.  Clearly we all have differing opinions of how we interpret what they put out last March/April.  There is a thread somewhere discussing this very thing. 

20 hours ago, superjay said:

Finals broadcast showed Brebuef enrollment at 843.  That would put them comfortably into 4A.  

Noticed that and wondered if that should be enough to put them in 4A.  I also heard commentary at various places over the last few weeks as to whether Gibson Southern and Tri-West might be headed toward 4A enrollments - if not this upcoming period then in the near future.

Does anyone know whether this might be the case?

Just now, gonzoron said:

Depends on how many high schoolers end up in the new Lizton 200 home subdivision.

I believe they are also putting a housing subdivision in Pittsboro as well.

Danville is adding 3 large subdivisions and I believe it will be a matter of time before they are 4A (Danville will probably get to 4A before Tri-West).

21 minutes ago, Lysander said:

Noticed that and wondered if that should be enough to put them in 4A.  I also heard commentary at various places over the last few weeks as to whether Gibson Southern and Tri-West might be headed toward 4A enrollments - if not this upcoming period then in the near future.

Does anyone know whether this might be the case?

For Gibson Southern there has been a lot of speculation on it going to 4A but I haven’t seen any official number.  I know every time I visit, haubstadt gets a little bit bigger and there seems to be more and more houses.  Ft branch recently added some townhouses/apartment buildings I believe.

throw in Toyota constantly expanding and “free choice” enrollment.

the only town of the GS district that I’m not sure about is owensville…..I’m from owensville and my parents live there…but I don’t see much for development other than a few new houses for a few people who moved from the country side to in town.  

Edited by DumfriesYMCA

GS was 705 ish for 2019/2020

some have said we are growing by 50 per enrollment cycle….not sure if that is annually or something else.

probably likely that GS is approaching 800 ish depending on the incoming classes….the real question is…..is 800 the cutoff for 3A/4A still? 

4A might be closer to 900 now if there is growth across the board.  

Will be interesting

46 minutes ago, 1st_and_10 said:

I believe they are also putting a housing subdivision in Pittsboro as well.

Danville is adding 3 large subdivisions and I believe it will be a matter of time before they are 4A (Danville will probably get to 4A before Tri-West).

Along with Danville and Tri-West, I'd toss West Lafayette into that mix.  WL has been at the top of that 3A pile for a long time ... just teetering on tipping to 4A.  At one time, I believe that WL used to be a closed-district, but talk on the street is that they may be lifting that closed-district restriction.  If that's the case, they were only a couple dozen off from 4A back in the 2019-2020 classification, and with the growth in the county just to the north, a couple of dozen can't be too far away.