Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Is USC the best job in the country?

Footballking16

Lincoln Riley for obvious reasons stole the show in the news yesterday voluntarily leaving one blue blood program for another. In my 30 some years I don't think I've ever seen a coaching move of this magnitude other than Roy Williams leaving Kansas to go coach his alma mater UNC. Oklahoma is a blue blood football program and you simply don't see coaches walking away from a job with that much history and success. It got me thinking, is USC the best football job in the country?

If not USC, what other jobs are better?

4 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Lincoln Riley for obvious reasons stole the show in the news yesterday voluntarily leaving one blue blood program for another. In my 30 some years I don't think I've ever seen a coaching move of this magnitude other than Roy Williams leaving Kansas to go coach his alma mater UNC. Oklahoma is a blue blood football program and you simply don't see coaches walking away from a job with that much history and success. It got me thinking, is USC the best football job in the country?

If not USC, what other jobs are better?

USC was the best job available that didn’t involve having to play a regular season SEC schedule. He had no stomach for that.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bobref said:

USC was the best job available that didn’t involve having to play a regular season SEC schedule. He had no stomach for that.

So are all SEC jobs better than USC? I can think of one, maybe two SEC jobs that I think are better than USC but its close. I think you saw what can happen at USC with the right guy. Whether or not Riley is the guy to do that, who knows, but I think he'll stop the bleeding when it comes to USC losing on local talent which needs to be the #1 priority. 

4 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

So are all SEC jobs better than USC? I can think of one, maybe two SEC jobs that I think are better than USC but its close. I think you saw what can happen at USC with the right guy. Whether or not Riley is the guy to do that, who knows, but I think he'll stop the bleeding when it comes to USC losing on local talent which needs to be the #1 priority. 

Whether a job is “better” is different things to different people. For Riley, the USC job is better than any SEC job … primarily, IMO, because at USC his vaunted offense won’t have to face an SEC defense every week. He was bound to jump somewhere before that happened.

1 hour ago, temptation said:

Probably in terms of recruiting.  You have more talent within 100 miles of campus than anywhere in America and no real rival (sorry UCLA) to compete with for those players.

I think Riley will do well there.

That's my line of thinking as well.

Not many schools in the country have that kind of access to talent without any serious competition. It's amazing the amount of talent that has left Southern California since Carroll's departure. Before this weeks slate of games started, the three CFB players with the best odds to win the Heisman trophy were: CJ Stroud, Bryce Young, and Matt Corral. All three QB's, all three from Southern California, none at USC. 

Riley's already got 5 or 6 highly ranked recruits out of Southern CA that have de-committed from Oklahoma that appear ready to follow him to USC.

Edited by Footballking16

3 hours ago, Irishman said:

Keep in mind though that the last "right guy" left town unscathed when the investigations started. The violations were significant; as were the penalties. It may have been an ideal job, but I don't see it that way now. 

That would be my fear as a USC coach. A lot of distractions in LA with celebrities, agents, etc. I think Carroll was too lose and it cost him.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gipper said:

USC's campus isn't in the greatest neighborhood--Watts, South Central LA, etc.  Despite that, security and cops are everywhere as are the big donors to get in your face should you lose a lot.

Many, many years ago when I was also officiating college football, I went to a clinic in Los Angeles. It lasted several days, and we spent one afternoon working a UCLA scrimmage, and the next day a USC scrimmage. John Robinson was the coach at USC then. Their practice was unbelievable. I never saw so many people with $2,000 suits, designer sunglasses, $500 shoes, and weighted down with bling at a football practice before or since. It was like the Red Carpet on artificial turf.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Boilernation said:

That would be my fear as a USC coach. A lot of distractions in LA with celebrities, agents, etc. I think Carroll was too lose and it cost him.  

It is also good to fill a very large coliseum.....remember during the Carroll era, there were no professional football teams.  Now there are two.  Lots of competition in southern LA for the entertainment dollar.  

On 11/29/2021 at 11:47 AM, temptation said:

Probably in terms of recruiting.  You have more talent within 100 miles of campus than anywhere in America and no real rival (sorry UCLA) to compete with for those players.

I think Riley will do well there.

The SEC probably hurt many of its existing schools over the long run by adding Ou and UT.  Mid level schools like Miss State, Arkansas, Ole Miss, KY and South Carolina will see their fortunes fall when the 2 big 12 schools join the fray.  The conference is too top heavy.  I dont blame Riley one bit.  he did the right thing.  The PAC 12 and the BIG 12 are very similar in terms of competitive profile.  And what college football fam wouldn't want to see USC in the playoffs?  Come on.

On 11/29/2021 at 7:44 PM, Bobref said:

Many, many years ago when I was also officiating college football, I went to a clinic in Los Angeles. It lasted several days, and we spent one afternoon working a UCLA scrimmage, and the next day a USC scrimmage. John Robinson was the coach at USC then. Their practice was unbelievable. I never saw so many people with $2,000 suits, designer sunglasses, $500 shoes, and weighted down with bling at a football practice before or since. It was like the Red Carpet on artificial turf.

And that was just you officials. 😎 😂