Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Best coaching job in the NCAA

BTF

21 minutes ago, BTF said:

How is Alabama not on this list?

Notre Dame's facilities rival any program. Notre Dame's history/tradition exceeds anyone's. Notre Dame's recruiting base spans 50 states. And..............it's Notre Dame. Top 5 program if you ask me............I'm not afraid of being a homer. One could argue that Notre Dames limitations on recruiting bumps them out of the Top 5, I don't deny that. 

I said job, not program. Saban is Alabama. Does anyone not remember the 4 coaches Bama hired before Saban? Alabama high school talent isn;t on par with Florida, Georgia, or Louisiana and they have another major in-state conference opponent to compete with. 

Same thing with Notre Dame. People don't realize just how good of a coach Brian Kelly actually is. I'd agree that Notre Dame may be the most rewarding job, but it's definitely not one of the top 5 jobs in college football. Their coach just left for LSU.....

Edited by Footballking16
  • Like 1

It has been interesting to see how some of the top programs in the country when I was younger have fallen on hard times....and how others that were ok are now competing at the highest levels.  It will be interesting see if these programs can ever return to what they once were....

Nebraska, Florida State, Miami, Penn State, Texas, Arkansas, Pitt, USC, Washington....will some of these programs return?

On the flip side, programs have risen that were average back in the day....Clemson, Oregon, Cincy (not sure if even average) 

I guess both Bama and Georgia fell on some tougher times after Bryant and Dooley.  Saban and Smart sure raised really good programs to great ones.

1 minute ago, Footballking16 said:

I said job, not program. Saban is Alabama. Does anyone not remember the 4 coaches Bama hired before Saban?

Same thing with Notre Dame. People don't realize just how good of a coach Brian Kelly actually is. I'd agree that Notre Dame may be the most rewarding job, but it's definitely not one of the top 5 jobs in college football. Their coach just left for LSU.....

I understand full well how good of a coach Brian Kelly is. He will get his championship at LSU. But the chance of Notre Dame getting one first in the next three years is higher than LSU. 

BK is a good coach. However, people have been pointing at his character flaws for 12 years now. I turned a blind eye to them as he continued to put winning football teams on the field. I'm now seeing those flaws myself. A guy like Brian Kelly leaving Notre Dame doesn't prove that Notre Dame isn't one of the Top 5 jobs in the country. Try another factor, like recruiting restrictions. 

3 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

It has been interesting to see how some of the top programs in the country when I was younger have fallen on hard times....and how others that were ok are now competing at the highest levels.  It will be interesting see if these programs can ever return to what they once were....

Nebraska, Florida State, Miami, Penn State, Texas, Arkansas, Pitt, USC, Washington....will some of these programs return?

On the flip side, programs have risen that were average back in the day....Clemson, Oregon, Cincy (not sure if even average) 

I guess both Bama and Georgia fell on some tougher times after Bryant and Dooley.  Saban and Smart sure raised really good programs to great ones.

Count Penn State out until they hire a new head coach. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BTF said:

I understand full well how good of a coach Brian Kelly is. He will get his championship at LSU. But the chance of Notre Dame getting one first in the next three years is higher than LSU. 

BK is a good coach. However, people have been pointing at his character flaws for 12 years now. I turned a blind eye to them as he continued to put winning football teams on the field. I'm now seeing those flaws myself. A guy like Brian Kelly leaving Notre Dame doesn't prove that Notre Dame isn't one of the Top 5 jobs in the country. Try another factor, like recruiting restrictions. 

He's literally the winningest coach in ND football history and was still a whipping boy to the SEC programs/Clemson. College football today is all about the Jimmies and Joe's. Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State are living proof of that. 

24 minutes ago, DE said:

Alabama or Clemson

There's no way Clemson is a top 5 job in the country. Again, confusing program for job. 

4 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

He's literally the winningest coach in ND football history and was still a whipping boy to the SEC programs/Clemson. College football today is all about the Jimmies and Joe's. Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State are living proof of that. 

Alabama was the only SEC program to qualify as Notre Dame's whipping boy. Kelly played Georgia twice and both games went right down to the wire. Kelly had a recent win against LSU in a bowl game. That's just going off the top of my head. I don't have time to put in the research right now. I'm not sure Georgia has done anything more than Notre Dame since Kelly has been head coach. Make a case for the Bulldogs being "living proof."

23 minutes ago, BTF said:

Alabama was the only SEC program to qualify as Notre Dame's whipping boy. Kelly played Georgia twice and both games went right down to the wire. Kelly had a recent win against LSU in a bowl game. That's just going off the top of my head. I don't have time to put in the research right now. I'm not sure Georgia has done anything more than Notre Dame since Kelly has been head coach. Make a case for the Bulldogs being "living proof."

Georgia lost in OT 3 years ago in the national title game and will be a two TD favorite against any CFB opponent they face next month. Barring the team forgetting to get off the bus, they will be your next college football champion. 

17 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Georgia lost in OT 3 years ago in the national title game and will be a two TD favorite against any CFB opponent they face next month. Barring the team forgetting to get off the bus, they will be your next college football champion. 

Hopefully Notre Dame get's their chance in Round 1. Those kids look pretty fired up at the prospect of playing for Freeman. I'm sure their respect for Rees went up a notch as well. 

That being said, I won't bet against Georgia this year. 

2 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

I believe these are the most important factors that go into best job in the country:

-Recruiting base

-Competition in said recruiting base

-Resources/budget/facilities

-Path to national title (conference/division)

-miscellaneous items such as history/tradition/

Thought long and heard about this and in my opinion the top 5 jobs in college football (remember this is job only, not current program standing)

1. Georgia-Georgia produces tremendous football talent; flagship university in-state with no conference rival; Georgia Tech only P5 competition but don't directly compete with recruits. Georgia is the one SEC program who in the last 5 years have gone toe to toe in recruiting with Saban.

2. USC-Located in one of the largest metropolitan areas in the world and access to a huge local recruiting network; Great history and tradition. Doesn't have any direct competition for local recruits among elite college football programs. Weaker conference sets up for easier path to CFB

3. Ohio State-largest and most passionate fan base in the country; storied tradition; have the ability to recruit nationally as well as being the premier football program above the mason-dixon line

4. Florida-On paper hard to argue against it being the best job; Flagship university in the best state for high school talent. Only drawback is competing directly with in-state schools like Miami and FSU as well the other elite SEC schools looking to poach Florida talent

5. Texas- program has been a disaster since they forced Mack Brown into retirement but you won't convince me that Texas can't be an elite program with the right coach; Endless resources and deep pockets galore in Austin, huge recruiting base, etc

Going off your factors above are why I chose Alabama and Clemson. 

28 minutes ago, BTF said:

As I said in an earlier post. Ten teams could make the claim. 

Bama and Clemson have the two best coaches in America by far. They can overcome the inherent advantages other schools have because of their staff.

Bama will survive post-Saban (probably because they'll hire Dabo), but they aren't going to be the juggernaut they are today. Dabo is Clemson. They will fall significantly once Dabo leaves. May not be for a while, but they aren't going to be able to sustain the last 5-6 years. Hell, they may already be on the down swing. 

Edited by Footballking16

38 minutes ago, DE said:

Going off your factors above are why I chose Alabama and Clemson. 

Alabama enjoys the recruiting base they do now for one reason; Nick Saban. Geographically, Alabama is the 4th or 5th best state in SEC country in terms of high school talent. They have an in-state conference rival that also recruits very well. Alabama went through 4 coaches in 11 years before hiring Saban and won just one national title between Bear Bryant and Saban (30 years). Alabama is without a doubt the best program in the country right now and that's because of Nick Saban. Will be interesting to see how Alabama holds up post-Saban. Last college program that resembled anything close to the Alabama dynasty was UCLA under Wooden. They fell hard after he retired. 

Edited by Footballking16

1 hour ago, BTF said:

Notre Dame's facilities rival any program. Notre Dame's history/tradition exceeds anyone's. Notre Dame's recruiting base spans 50 states.

Notre Dame may recruit kids from all over the country, but they can't walk in to any state and grab whatever kid they want. There's two programs who can do that currently; Alabama and Ohio State. Georgia has done a marvelous job the last 3-4 years of keeping their 5* talent home and not letting them go to Bama or Florida and actually have the most 5* of any program in the country. It's not a coincidence as to why they are the best team in the country right now. 

https://247sports.com/Season/2021-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/

4 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

Bama and Clemson have the two best coaches in America by far. 

There's not ten other coaches who could win if they had the talent of those two programs?

4 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

Notre Dame may recruit kids from all over the country, but they can't walk in to any state and grab whatever kid they want. There's two programs who can do that currently; Alabama and Ohio State. Georgia has done a marvelous job the last 3-4 years of keeping their 5* talent home and not letting them go to Bama or Florida and actually have the most 5* of any program in the country. It's not a coincidence as to why they are the best team in the country right now. 

https://247sports.com/Season/2021-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/

Good argument. 

7 hours ago, BTF said:

How is Alabama not on this list?

Notre Dame's facilities rival any program. Notre Dame's history/tradition exceeds anyone's. Notre Dame's recruiting base spans 50 states. And..............it's Notre Dame. Top 5 program if you ask me............I'm not afraid of being a homer. One could argue that Notre Dames limitations on recruiting bumps them out of the Top 5, I don't deny that. 

You've gotten the best of me on the last few. I'll win this one. Keep the receipt 🙂

Kids in 2021 couldn’t care less about history/tradition.

13 hours ago, BTF said:

There's not ten other coaches who could win if they had the talent of those two programs?

Duh. They create the talent. This isn’t hard. Dabo and Saban two best coaches in America by far.

13 hours ago, BTF said:

Notre Dame ranks 12th in talent, yet has the 5th best program in the country. That speaks volumes for what Kelly has done as a coach and is why he will be successful at LSU. 

Agreed.

2 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

Duh. They create the talent. This isn’t hard. Dabo and Saban two best coaches in America by far.

Agreed.

Dabo and Saban create talent? I thought these kids were 5-Star long before they stepped foot on campus for the firs time. 

You agree that what Kelly has done with a bunch of three and four star talent is impressive. How do you think he would do with 5-Star talent? I'm not sure how Dabo and Saban are better coaches by far. Saban has the top recruiting class every year. Shouldn't anything less than a title be embarrassing? We saw this year how average a coach can look when he's not graced with the best quarterback in the country. What if Lawrence played for Kelly last year? Sorry, I'm not buying into the notion that Saban and Dabo are the best by far. They might be the best by a hair.